The Ringer ranking of Receiver Cores - Opinions???

Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that brought their ranking up to 18????  

You the asked the question is it a big ask to want one more good WR.  I pointed out that we drafted Kincaid so we the Bills did what you wanted to do…got another weapon.

So what’s the issue?  This is subjective opinion piece…you know that right?

Okay so to get this straight:

*  we have the 18th ranked wide receiver room AFTER we upgraded it in the off season?  So can I assume that last season it was ranked even worse then 18?

*  I have to believe that by any measure the RB room last season was rated lower then 20.

*  we know that the O line was rated either 26 or 30 last season.

So last season our RB's, Receivers and O line were all ranked in the bottom half of the league. Yet we went 14 - 4 with the 2nd or 3rd best offense (depending on the metric) in the league.  I may not be an analytics guru but doesn't that demonstrate fairly convincingly that our QB is elite and our offensive coordinator did a lot better in the job then he's being given credit for?

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes.

Dorsey did fine and Allen(and Diggs)carry the offense… Not sure there is a QB in the league that has done more with less. 

Chris simms also near end of season -

eye test shows bills don’t have any legit weapons behind diggs…

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

*  we have the 18th ranked wide receiver room AFTER we upgraded it in the off season?  So can I assume that last season it was ranked even worse then 18?

No, you shouldn't assume that last season the WR room was ranked lower.  Prior to the beginning of last season we had high expectations for Gabe Davis - he was coming off a phenomenal playoff performance.  Gabe looked to be an upper level WR2.  At the slot we looked to be upgrading the fading Beas with Crowder- a seasoned veteran, along with a year older McKenzie, who had a great game when featured against the Patriots. Knox was a developing weapon and the Bills had drafted Shakir - considered a great value pick in the 5th.

This year very few people have high expectations for Gabe.  Most hope he can hang on to being a lower level useful WR2 based on volume.  The slot is a question, being manned by no known veteran presence.  Kincaid is intriguing but is a rookie.

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No, you shouldn't assume that last season the WR room was ranked lower.  Prior to the beginning of last season we had high expectations for Gabe Davis - he was coming off a phenomenal playoff performance.  Gabe looked to be an upper level WR2.  At the slot we looked to be upgrading the fading Beas with Crowder- a seasoned veteran, along with a year older McKenzie, who had a great game when featured against the Patriots. Knox was a developing weapon and the Bills had drafted Shakir - considered a great value pick in the 5th.

This year very few people have high expectations for Gabe.  Most hope he can hang on to being a lower level useful WR2 based on volume.  The slot is a question, being manned by no known veteran presence.  Kincaid is intriguing but is a rookie.

Yeah some the most amusing nonsense of the offseason is the comparing of last year's WR corps to this year's without any acknowledgement whatsoever that they are comparing their wildest hopes and dreams for an equally unproven/unproductive or inefficient WR corps(beyond the great Diggs) against the NOW proven shite that was that group last year.    

As you mentioned, there was almost unbridled optimism for that WR corps coming into last season.    It was very much a small minority of us who were objective and observant enough to realize that the hype on guys like Gabe and McKenzie in particular was based on just 1 game for each of those players in the 2022 season versus their much larger, inconsistent body of work over their careers.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Weird that they don't even list Knox as a pass catching option. As a matter of fact, they basically have Kincaid described as an inline TE. I'm going to say these rankings are inconclusive at best.

"18. Buffalo Bills

WR: Stefon Diggs
WR: Gabe Davis
WR: Trent Sherfield
WR: Khalil Shakir
RB: James Cook
TE: Dalton Kincaid

Buffalo didn’t have a reliable underneath option last year behind Diggs, leading them to rely on Cole Beasley in their embarrassing divisional-round loss to the Bengals. Enter first-round tight end Kincaid out of Utah. Long term, Kincaid is a potentially fantastic addition. But rookie tight ends must learn to block NFL defensive ends and get open against NFL defenders, so they rarely contribute early. If Josh Allen ever checked it down, we might be looking at Cook as one of the best receiving backs in the league."

Any non-Buffalo media member shows his lack of knowledge with the comments about the Kincaid pick and the expectations.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Come to think of it, I’ve never heard Josh talk about Knox in the way he describes Kincaid: “fun to throw to/good body language/etc,” but the addition of Kincaid does sound like Knox has upped his game (or maybe he’s the forgotten man?). This is the first camp I’ve heard Knox being mentioned almost daily in a positive write up.

Then you should have been paying better attention at the last two. 

And Josh LOVES Knox. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Most cores we can only speculate on.

Others we can absolutely know:

image.png.c2603ca3a5ae09ca5bd7785dfa4e8e75.png

If you don't return the rebuildable core, the alternator, brake caliper, or radiator cannot be refurbished and returned to the parts stream! 🤨

Plus, you don't get your deposit / beer money back. 😕

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah some the most amusing nonsense of the offseason is the comparing of last year's WR corps to this year's without any acknowledgement whatsoever that they are comparing their wildest hopes and dreams for an equally unproven/unproductive or inefficient WR corps(beyond the great Diggs) against the NOW proven shite that was that group last year.    

As you mentioned, there was almost unbridled optimism for that WR corps coming into last season.    It was very much a small minority of us who were objective and observant enough to realize that the hype on guys like Gabe and McKenzie in particular was based on just 1 game for each of those players in the 2022 season versus their much larger, inconsistent body of work over their careers.

Actually last year there was the proven Crowder taking the place of the fading Beas.  And the trend line for Gabe was upward.  The limited PT for McK had showed positive.  I was optimistic last year (although I still wanted them to take a WR in the 1st Watkins/Pickens- but the draft is primarily for the future).

What I think the poster above was comparing was the end of last year to the beginning of this year.  In that regard I can see the hope of the new to be greater than the disappointing performances of Crowder + McK (and rookie Shakir).  But for me it's hard to get around the regression/trend of Gabe now.

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Actually last year there was the proven Crowder taking the place of the fading Beas.  And the trend line for Gabe was upward.  The limited PT for McK had showed positive.  I was optimistic last year (although I still wanted them to take a WR in the 1st Watkins/Pickens- but the draft is primarily for the future).

What I think the poster above was comparing was the end of last year to the beginning of this year.  In that regard I can see the hope of the new to be greater than the disappointing performances of Crowder + McK (and rookie Shakir).  But for me it's hard to get around the regression/trend of Gabe now.

Stress not.  It doesn't exist.

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Yeah Crowder was at one time very good.........and played some of his best football against the Bills...........but the concept that the 2022 version of Crowder was going to be good and that Beasley was just trending down and washed is the kind of delusion that we fans sometimes create in our mind as we dream on what could be.

The reality was that Beasley had a FAR BETTER season in 2021 than Crowder.   The likelihood of who would be better in 2022 would actually have been Beasley by a wide margin because Crowder was trending down hard due to injuries.

We see this kind of delusion re-surface with Sharty...........fans expect that he will be the version of himself that he was during the brief non-injured portion of his 2021 season.........when the reality is that he missed basically all of last year injured(as is his tendency to be) and has otherwise been a total non-factor on offense in his career.

And to emphasize how much Bills fans are dreaming on versions of Sharty and Sherfield that the objective public does not expect.........the places that take bets on player production are actually figuring on Lil' Dummy McKenzie and even Jamison Crowder to put up more yards than Sharty and Sherfield this season.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Then you should have been paying better attention at the last two. 

And Josh LOVES Knox. 

No doubt about your second point. He’s called Knox one of the most beloved guys in the locker room. They seem very tight. BUT to my knowledge Knox wasn’t showered with any of the praise Josh has given Kincaid.  Maybe that’s because he had a lot of concentration lapses his first few years. To his credit, he knew he had to work on the problem…

Dawson Knox on growing with Josh

EDIT: I just realized you might’ve been talking about the daily positive praise about Knox the last two years. It was nothing like this year, Knox seems to be all over the place now.

Edited by JayBaller10

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.