Jonny Manziel documentary on Netflix is great

JerseyBills

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I didn't watch it, but read that when he was diagnosed with Bipolar, he didn't accept it and went into a spiral. As one who also has Bipolar, unless you find the right partner/therapy/medication, it is nothing to play around with. I was standing on the deck of the Golden Gate Bridge, ready to jump. My therapist at the time played around with my medication. Thankfully I walked off and went to the Psych ER instead, got my meds straightened out, and reconnected with my now wife 4 months later. 

Thank God.!

Ya I've had some hard times where I thought about it, never attempted but i had the mentality that i was going to 1 day , mainly due to substance abuse and being young, thinking I ruined my life forever.  AA and NA meetings helped alot and made me realize I'm not alone or special and many ppl have a similar story and got me out of that thinking and on the right track

• Like (+1) 19
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I didn't watch it, but read that when he was diagnosed with Bipolar, he didn't accept it and went into a spiral. As one who also has Bipolar, unless you find the right partner/therapy/medication, it is nothing to play around with. I was standing on the deck of the Golden Gate Bridge, ready to jump. My therapist at the time played around with my medication. Thankfully I walked off and went to the Psych ER instead, got my meds straightened out, and reconnected with my now wife 4 months later. 

Thank you for sharing this.

I pray that God continues to bless you and provide your doctors with the ability to treat you in the best way possible.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zevo said:

just wild how him and his agent duped the the NFL (browns) into selecting him into the first round. never knew that him coming from wealth was a lie. it was an interesting watch

It was. He was a very sick individual and I'm surprised at what he was able to accomplish. 

I wish that the ending was a bit more descriptive of his current life but perhaps I'm a chronic malcontent lol.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

It was. He was a very sick individual and I'm surprised at what he was able to accomplish. 

I wish that the ending was a bit more descriptive of his current life but perhaps I'm a chronic malcontent lol.

I agree. based on the what they showed it still looks like he is living his life with his boys. 

This part just blows my mind:

During the early stages of his NFL career, Manziel would call his agent, Erik Burkhardt, and tell him football wasn't fun anymore. Losing the love for the game obviously affected his study habits, because Manziel wasn't watching any film. 

"Their GM's calling me going, 'He doesn't watch tape,'" Burkhardt said. "I'm like, 'Well he's gotta watch some tape.' He's like, 'EB, his iPad hours is 0.00.'"

Manziel confirmed he watched zero film: "Zero."

• Shocked 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, zevo said:

I agree. based on the what they showed it still looks like he is living his life with his boys. 

Yeah was kind of a cautionary, open-ended ending - after all his substance issues to have the last shot of him sitting there with his boys drinking a beer.  I did think he came of really well in the interview portions

• Agree 1

He reminds me of a kid in my high school that just can pick up anything and was better than most anybody.  All state football, basketball, and baseball. 

Partied all the time. Ended up playing d1 baseball. Didn't hardly see him practice. 

Johnny football was just the best of the athletes like that so it took him to really high levels. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, zevo said:

just wild how him and his agent duped the the NFL (browns) into selecting him into the first round. never knew that him coming from wealth was a lie. it was an interesting watch

Seriously. His whole persona was basically a ruse. How the Browns didn't have all the diligence on him was shocking. 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thank you for sharing this.

I pray that God continues to bless you and provide your doctors with the ability to treat you in the best way possible.

My wife helped to stabilize me, and my new therapist agreed to try a medication I wanted to take back in California. I've been on that medication for 8 years. That and my wife's help helped to stabilize me greatly. 

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Thank God.!

Ya I've had some hard times where I thought about it, never attempted but i had the mentality that i was going to 1 day , mainly due to substance abuse and being young, thinking I ruined my life forever.  AA and NA meetings helped alot and made me realize I'm not alone or special and many ppl have a similar story and got me out of that thinking and on the right track

You never know what is right around the corner. I'm grateful for your awareness. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Highly recommend watching. Very entertaining.  Such a wild ride , deep insights.  After getting cut by Cle, he tried taking his life even. 

Sounds interesting.  I love documentaries and hadn't seen this, so thanks for putting it on my radar.

Will watch soon.

👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Draconator said:

My wife helped to stabilize me, and my new therapist agreed to try a medication I wanted to take back in California. I've been on that medication for 8 years. That and my wife's help helped to stabilize me greatly. 

You never know what is right around the corner. I'm grateful for your awareness. 

Appreciate that!! Absolutely..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 947 said:

This part just blows my mind:

During the early stages of his NFL career, Manziel would call his agent, Erik Burkhardt, and tell him football wasn't fun anymore. Losing the love for the game obviously affected his study habits, because Manziel wasn't watching any film. 

"Their GM's calling me going, 'He doesn't watch tape,'" Burkhardt said. "I'm like, 'Well he's gotta watch some tape.' He's like, 'EB, his iPad hours is 0.00.'"

Manziel confirmed he watched zero film: "Zero."

Yeah it's hard to see how an NFL franchise cannot do at least a little homework on someone, but it is the Browns after all...

• Haha (+1) 1

Manziel believed the hype about himself and thought everything would come easy like it had his whole life. Seems like he finally has realized his mistakes and if he uses them to grow as a person and as a man then I commend him for it.

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Manziel believed the hype about himself and thought everything would come easy like it had his whole life. Seems like he finally has realized his mistakes and if he uses them to grow as a person and as a man then I commend him for it.

He was the superior athlete on the field his entire life and was able to dominate the competition without any work or study habits.

Once his rude awakening in the NFL had occurred and he realized he could never be successful without work and dedication he simply checked out.

I won’t comment on his mental state for which I know nothing about, but it seems to me this dude was let down by those around him from a young age, he should have been taught the value of hard work, but instead it seems his upbringing consisted of coaches, agents, friends and family going along for the ride.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

Thank you for your transparency and courage Draconator. And great to hear how far you’ve come. Keep moving forward! 

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Thank God.!

And to you as well JerseyBills. Your story and courage to fight give hope to others. Stay after it, friend. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.