Matt Araiza is Suing Woman who Falsely Accused him

wppete

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

She cancelled his career and without reprecussion nothing will stop another mans life from being ruined by lies

I don't know about you, but I have done way way less (like said something to someone maybe I shouldn't have when I was in high school) and that stuff wakes me up in the middle of the night sometimes...I have a feeling she is going to be facing this her whole life as it is.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

so she had an excuse MAYBE to lie. That’s just some large horse pucks there.  The fact is she ruined the reputation and possibly career of someone for her own SELFISH reasons and she could have gotten a person sent to jail for a long time for something they didn’t do!  There is no good excuse for what she did, she should have to face serious penalties for the entire length of time he may have had to serve in jail. 

Did I say anywhere at all that she shouldn't face consequences? Or that they shouldn't be significant?

My post is simply in response to the person who said that the consequences should ruin her forever...

Like Ben Roethlisberger got to stay in the league and plenty of people were talking about him in terms of Xs and Os...it's the blue pill (or red pill or whatever) hypocrisy I'm pushing back against...she should face significant consequences for her actions, but ruined forever, come on that's hyperbolic and goes against the system of justice we have here.

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Good for him.  There should be laws against woman falsely accusing people like that.  It can and has ruined people.  She should be doing jail time IMO.

Only women or did you mean people?

• Like (+1) 1

Deranged individuals leveling false accusations are a dime a dozen.  The people who should be ashamed (and sued to the brink of ruin) include her attorney, who must certainty have known, and high profile media personalities who took the words of a plaintiffs attorney at face value. Without them, there is no mob. 

We should develop a healthy disgust toward those who indulge in vapid moral posturing. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the market for a 7th round Punter with extreme social baggage is whit hot.

In season?  LOL, no.  Next off-season?  He just needs one team.

And there won't be any baggage after the civil trial.  Assuming it still happens (I'd give it a 10% chance because her lawyer is that dumb).

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

In season?  LOL, no.  Next off-season?  He just needs one team.

And there won't be any baggage after the civil trial.  Assuming it still happens (I'd give it a 10% chance because her lawyer is that dumb).

So not in season?

Depends on what comes out in his deposition

Edited by Mr. WEO

10 hours ago, The Red King said:

Let's be directly clear here.  The Bills cut Araiza because the public lynched him.  I remember saying we should wait for the facts to come out, but was yelled at and told I was supporting a sexual abuser.

People jumped the gun, quite fanatically, judging him loudly and proudly.

This is why the Bills were forced to dump him.

This is true. Journalists and podcasters were announcing loudly that the Bills organization had failed by not cutting Araiza the instant an accusation was made. 

I distinctly remembering reading an opinion piece by Tim Graham stating that in no uncertain terms. 

I tried to find that piece last night, and couldn’t.  Hmm…..

56 minutes ago, Gugny said:

As horrible as our justice system is, I don’t think sending people to prison based on hypotheticals would be an improvement. 

I wasn’t talking jail time.. I’m talking she should have to suffer consequences that last just as long like for example say her salary is garnished 25% for 10 years and given to him.. our jails should be for violent criminals not stupid kids like this.  But her penalty should last as long as his jail time could have is my point. 

5 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

This is true. Journalists and podcasters were announcing loudly that the Bills organization had failed by not cutting Araiza the instant an accusation was made. 

I distinctly remembering reading an opinion piece by Tim Graham stating that in no uncertain terms. 

I tried to find that piece last night, and couldn’t.  Hmm…..

There was also Dan Patrick who was foaming at the mouth a what a vile person MA is for committing such a crime.  I don't remember if he was also harsh on the Bills for not cutting him sooner.  Maybe someone that watched his remarks from his show remembers any comments he made about the timeframe of Bills' decision to cut him.  

That monster falsely accused Araiza hoping to cash in on his pending NFL contract.  Instead, she derailed his life and career.   Araiza can sue her, but it's not likely she's worth more than $1000.  But perhaps he can get a full, complete apology and public exoneration.

She also cost the Bills their punter who would have been a perfect bookend to kicker Tyler Bass.  With apologies to Sam Martin, Araiza would be outstanding and also on a rookie contract.  

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

As horrible as our justice system is, I don’t think sending people to prison based on hypotheticals would be an improvement. 

The entire basis of our justice system is that it is better for a guilty party to go free than one innocent go to jail. In that case, equivalent charges for proven malicious false charges or claims would be right in line. 

Now that’s probably impossible to prove.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So not in season?

Depends on what comes out in his deposition

Who knows?  Again an injury could land him a job.

And there's nothing in the deposition that will change what we already know.  As it pertains to him that is.  I have no idea what will happen to the other guys who were on video.

10 hours ago, The Red King said:

Let's be directly clear here.  The Bills cut Araiza because the public lynched him.  I remember saying we should wait for the facts to come out, but was yelled at and told I was supporting a sexual abuser.

People jumped the gun, quite fanatically, judging him loudly and proudly.

This is why the Bills were forced to dump him.

They dumped him because he wasn't honest with them during the vetting process before the draft.  At least 2 teams knew something was coming for this kid.  After they drafted him, he still didn't tell them about this incident---they found out in late July.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who knows?  Again an injury could land him a job.

And there's nothing in the deposition that will change what we already know.  As it pertains to him that is.  I have no idea what will happen to the other guys who were on video.

how do you know what will come bout re: his involvement with that girl in deposition?  He doesn't seem like the brightest graduate of SDSU....

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how do you know what will come bout re: his involvement with that girl in deposition?  He doesn't seem like the brightest graduate of SDSU....

Because it already would have come out.  If Gilleon is waiting until the civil trial to whip out his evidence, he's even dimmer than you think Araiza is.

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

Because it already would have come out.  If Gilleon is waiting until the civil trial to whip out his evidence, he's even dimmer than you think Araiza is.

the transcript has been released?

anyway, it's called discovery.  once he testifies in deposition, he can't change his story in court if more info comes out in discovery that contradicts him.

5 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Do you wake up every morning cursing the fact you live somewhere that (at least supposedly) views justice as a form of rehabilitation? 

She's a teenager who made a horrible mistake. You also don't know all the reasons she made that mistake either, there seems to be a lot lot lot more to that story.

Justice in this country hasn't been about rehabilitation at any point since I was born. I resent that because she's a female, suddenly there's a different standard here. 

What she did ruined this man's life in a way (no matter what), and had she fully succeeded, would've COMPLETELY destroyed his life, and we never would've known any different. This "thing" (can't even call it a crime, insane) she did, is actually fairly common in our society, with no consequences. How many innocent dudes we'll never know about behind bars, and life destroyed when they get out. It really muddies the water for every sex crime.

All this for money (and/or clout)? This is probably top 5 reprehensible things a single human could do in 2023.

Yes, as a man specifically, this is infuriating. Should (and likely is in some circles) be equally infuriating to real victims

On 7/29/2023 at 1:05 PM, Nephilim17 said:

Smart move if only for the optics that he is absolutely innocent. His NFL career is not over, I'm guessing.

I'm no lawyer, but it's my understanding it's pretty much SOP for the accused in a civil suit to counter-sue.

53 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

anyway, it's called discovery.  once he testifies in deposition, he can't change his story in court if more info comes out in discovery that contradicts him.

True he can't change his story.  The thing is, he won't need to.  He's got his story straight after over a year and there's really not much in dispute.  If anyone is going to be changing their story, it's she after those videos came to light.

Edited by Doc

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

True he can't change his story.  The thing is, he won't need to.  He's got his story straight after over a year and there's really not much in dispute.

Is there no chance any unsavory info can come out of his testimony that would make any team not interested in cutting their current Punter for this guy?

The plaintiff will dispute his story, obviously.  If he prevails, he may not come out smelling like the rose you are certain of.

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Justice in this country hasn't been about rehabilitation at any point since I was born. I resent that because she's a female, suddenly there's a different standard here. 

What she did ruined this man's life in a way (no matter what), and had she fully succeeded, would've COMPLETELY destroyed his life, and we never would've known any different. This "thing" (can't even call it a crime, insane) she did, is actually fairly common in our society, with no consequences. How many innocent dudes we'll never know about behind bars, and life destroyed when they get out. It really muddies the water for every sex crime.

All this for money (and/or clout)? This is probably top 5 reprehensible things a single human could do in 2023.

Yes, as a man specifically, this is infuriating. Should (and likely is in some circles) be equally infuriating to real victims

The biggest issue is how this makes women who have been actually sexually assaulted less likely to report it and be believed when they do report.

You have zero idea what her motivations were, but clout?! Clout from who exactly...the lawyer now that's a different matter.

21 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We still could sign him next season if we want to move on from Martin next season.  My biggest concern with Araiza was his control as he had a difficult time with pooch punts in college.

Based on his new 3 year contract and the recent comments by M. Smiley, I believe Sam is going to be our punter for the foreseeable future, unless his leg suddenly does dead. It appears they were very happy with his performance in all aspects of his role and I certainly wouldn't argue the point. Araiza may cost a little less, but the punter's salary normally is not a significant cap concern.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is there no chance any unsavory info can come out of his testimony that would make any team not interested in cutting their current Punter for this guy?

The plaintiff will dispute his story, obviously.  If he prevails, he may not come out smelling like the rose you are certain of.

Like that he's a serial statutory and/or gang rapist?  Nope.  We would have learned about that awhile ago.  Maybe details of his sex life, but goes both ways, not to mention those videos of her will be played in court.  But I never said he'd be signed immediately after the civil trial, just that teams were waiting until the trial was over because it's a distraction for him and the prospective team.

There's little she can dispute.  They had consensual sex.  She never told him she was 17 and there's evidence she told people she was 18/in college.  So statutory rape is out.  As for the gang rape, he's got a witness at least who said he left the party, there's no evidence of him on the dozen or so videos of her having sex with 5 guys inside the house, and there is likely geolocation data from his phone.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Like that he's a serial statutory and/or gang rapist?  Nope.  We would have learned about that awhile ago.  Maybe details of his sex life, but goes both ways, not to mention those videos of her will be played in court.  But I never said he'd be signed immediately after the civil trial, just that teams were waiting until the trial was over because it's a distraction for him and the prospective team.

There's little she can dispute.  They had consensual sex.  She never told him she was 17 and there's evidence she told people she was 18/in college.  So statutory rape is out.  As for the gang rape, he's got a witness at least who said he left the party, there's no evidence of him on the dozen or so videos of her having sex with 5 guys inside the house, and there is likely geolocation data from his phone.

we already know this isn’t a criminss ask trial doc.

have you ever reviewed a deposition or been deposed?  Almost anything can be asked.  He can’t deny he had sex with her.  It may not play out as the beautiful love story against the house wall that you imagine…

I guess the bottom line is..who needs a zero experience Punter this badly? 

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

we already know this isn’t a criminss ask trial doc.

have you ever reviewed a deposition or been deposed?  Almost anything can be asked.  He can’t deny he had sex with her.  It may not play out as the beautiful love story against the house wall that you imagine…

I guess the bottom line is..who needs a zero experience Punter this badly?

Nope, never been deposed.  Thankfully.  But his lawyers will have him ready for it and that's where the distraction and teams wanting to wait comes in.  This is his chance to clear his name and get back to the NFL.  Again, the one who will have the biggest challenge is she, having to explain why her story went to hell.

Who needs a punter that badly?  Every team has one and therefore needs one, and half by definition are in the bottom half and can be improved upon.  You wouldn't think this would need to be asked.  A guy who was falsely charged and cleared his name and who would be cheap should absolutely get a second chance. 

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Nope, never been deposed.  Thankfully.  But his lawyers will have him ready for it and that's where the distraction and teams wanting to wait comes in.  This is his chance to clear his name and get back to the NFL.  Again, the one who will have the biggest challenge is she, having to explain why her story went to hell.

Who needs a punter that badly?  Every team has one and therefore needs one.  You wouldn't think this would need to be asked A guy who was falsely charged and cleared his name should absolutely get a second chance. 

Well, obviously if they have one, they don't need one, let alone one who has neve played NFL football.  The Bills replaced him quickly with a perfectly good one.  There are others out there who could get the call who actually have played.  

The NFL isn't there to provide second chances just because--especially for a low impact position.  You know this.  Why pretend this is not true?

His lawyers will not be able to help him much once he sits down to be deposed.  Again, can you think of nothing that an NFL FO would hear in his testimony re: what his interaction with that girl was that night--even if he was not part of a gang assault?  Nothing a all?  How would you know this now?

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, obviously if they have one, they don't need one, let alone one who has neve played NFL football.  The Bills replaced him quickly with a perfectly good one.  There are others out there who could get the call who actually have played.  

The NFL isn't there to provide second chances just because--especially for a low impact position.  You know this.  Why pretend this is not true?

His lawyers will not be able to help him much once he sits down to be deposed.  Again, can you think of nothing that an NFL FO would hear in his testimony re: what his interaction with that girl was that night--even if he was not part of a gang assault?  Nothing a all?  How would you know this now?

Most of the guys out there are retreads.  The Bills got lucky with Martin and any guys like him are already signed.  Why sign a guy who has been cut from/failed with multiple teams and eschew a guy who looked to have promise but whose career was derailed by a lie?  Because your feels got all worked up when you first heard the news?

I've heard his side of the story numerous times after he started doing interviews.  It never changed.  Meanwhile her word is worth nothing at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Most of the guys out there are retreads.  The Bills got lucky with Martin and any guys like him are already signed.  Why sign a guy who has been cut from/failed with multiple teams and eschew a guy who looked to have promise but whose career was derailed by a lie?  Because your feels got all worked up when you first heard the news?

I've heard his side of the story numerous times after he started doing interviews.  It never changed.  Meanwhile her word is worth nothing at this point.

How many teams are stilling playing the Punter they drafted?  It's a retread position.  Only the really bad ones stand out.

You've heard his agent/lawyer/his unchallenged statements.  We all have.  You are saying there is absolutely no other information that can be elicited on deposition?  Again, how can you know that.

If the Bills never drafted this guy, your "feels" wouldn't be compelling you to carry water for this guy, you would at least concede that right?  If the Jets picked him you wouldn't be demanding he get back in the league.  

This is the NFL.  They have made their fortune by looking the other way at really bad player behavior----but only if they needed the player.  If this guy was a top 4, picked QB, 1st round pick---do you really think he would still be on his couch?

No, of course you don't.  

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

5 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

The biggest issue is how this makes women who have been actually sexually assaulted less likely to report it and be believed when they do report.

You have zero idea what her motivations were, but clout?! Clout from who exactly...the lawyer now that's a different matter.

bull####.  She was believed from jump, until the evidence came out.  This stupid line that people spout every time a woman is caught lying, just bull####.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many teams are stilling playing the Punter they drafted?  It's a retread position.  Only the really bad ones stand out.

You've heard his agent/lawyer/his unchallenged statements.  We all have.  You are saying there is absolutely no other information that can be elicited on deposition?  Again, how can you know that.

If the Bills never drafted this guy, your "feels" wouldn't be compelling you to carry water for this guy, you would at least concede that right?  If the Jets picked him you wouldn't be demanding he get back in the league.  

This is the NFL.  They have made their fortune by looking the other way at really bad player behavior----but only if they needed the player.  If this guy was a top 4, picked QB, 1st round pick---do you really think he would still be on his couch?

No, of course you don't.  

There are a lot of bad ones, which is why teams cycle through a lot of them.  You're making my point here.

As for challenging his statements, he'll merely stick to his story when faced with her alternate version, pointing out that she's lied many times.  She couldn't have made it any easier for him.

It was anything but feels.  The story looked and smelled like bull#### from the beginning...and proved to be so.  That's why I "carried his water" and would have if he had been drafted by the Jets.  It also struck home because my sons were both in college at the time and I could have seen something similar happening to them.  But don't take my word for it now, take a look at what I wrote a month ago here: https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/248005-tyreke-under-investigation/?do=findComment&comment=8438178

Of course if he were a high draft pick at a premium position he doesn't get canned.  No one has ever disputed that straw man.  But that doesn't mean that because he was a lower-round punter his career is over because of some bogus allegations that were ultimately disproven.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are a lot of bad ones, which is why teams cycle through a lot of them.  You're making my point here.

As for challenging his statements, he'll merely stick to his story when faced with her alternate version, pointing out that she's lied many times.  She couldn't have made it any easier for him.

It was anything but feels.  The story looked and smelled like bull#### from the beginning...and proved to be so.  That's why I "carried his water" and would have if he had been drafted by the Jets.  It also struck home because my sons were both in college at the time and I could have seen something similar happening to them.  But don't take my word for it now, take a look at what I wrote a month ago here: https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/248005-tyreke-under-investigation/?do=findComment&comment=8438178

Of course if he were a high draft pick at a premium position he doesn't get canned.  No one has ever disputed that straw man.  But that doesn't mean that because he was a lower-round punter his career is over because of some bogus allegations that were ultimately disproven.

I didnt say his career is over.  The Bills certainly didn’t need him

If it wa the Jets, you would have laughed at them and commented no further. 

when deposed,  her lawyer won’t be just asking about her allegations of the gang rape.  

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I didnt say his career is over.  The Bills certainly didn’t need him

If it wa the Jets, you would have laughed at them and commented no further. 

when deposed,  her lawyer won’t be just asking about her allegations of the gang rape. 

The Bills couldn't wait for the investigation and civil trial to be over.  Hell it's not going to be over until mid-October a year later.  But again luckily they found a good punter to replace him quickly.  A lot of other teams still have bad punters.

Yeah just like I laughed at the Dols, who I actually detest.  Take the loss here.

True because there's not much to tell.  You know he's got nothing with the gang rape when he changed his tune to "even if he didn't participate in the gang rape, he was still responsible."  WTF?

But what, pray tell, is he going to be asking about?  When Araiza was on the side of the house peeing and she came up to him demanding sex, they did it, she went back to her friends all giddy and then he left the party?  What smoking gun do you think the amazing Dan Gilleon is going to extract?

Edited by Doc

Color me crazy, but I still haven’t gotten past his choice of media people with whom to speak his truth.

I think he’s a real scumbag.

But I also wouldn’t care if he got an NFL gig. 

Lots of bigger scumbags in the league. 

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Flipnmi said:

Based on his new 3 year contract and the recent comments by M. Smiley, I believe Sam is going to be our punter for the foreseeable future, unless his leg suddenly does dead. It appears they were very happy with his performance in all aspects of his role and I certainly wouldn't argue the point. Araiza may cost a little less, but the punter's salary normally is not a significant cap concern.

Agreed.  The holding for Bass is important also and Martin is reliable.  It could be a nice gesture to showcase him though for other teams next training camp even if it isn't a real competition.  A quality organization would do that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.