FIFA Woman's World Cup...USWNT looking to 3 Peat!

Big Turk

6 minutes ago, Irv said:

Green hair missed on purpose then laughed.   

No.  Should WNBA get the same pay as NBA?

I assume you know that the NBA/WNBA and the USMNT/USWNT/US Soccer Federation/FIFA are very different. 

There is something seriously wrong with you if you think she missed on purpose.

• Eyeroll 1

The US team reads too much and believes too much of their own press.  Nowhere focused or hungry enough, and this team just didn't play well together.  

Echo of the 2004 US Men's Olympic Basketball Team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I assume you know that the NBA/WNBA and the USMNT/USWNT/US Soccer Federation/FIFA are very different. 

There is something seriously wrong with you if you think she missed on purpose.

Answer the question.  Should NBA and WNBA be paid the same?  She missed on purpose and laughed.  What a loser.  What a mess.    

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

You are deranged. 

So, I'll take that as a no - should WNBA be paid the same as NBA?  You just ruined your argument.  Dropping the mic now.  

18 hours ago, T&C said:

We are all going to miss the green and purple hair.... don't want to think if the carpet matches the drapes. 

They blew it and there isn't much munching around that. 

I think I'm going to hurl.  Yechhhh.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Irv said:

So, I'll take that as a no - should WNBA be paid the same as NBA?  You just ruined your argument.  Dropping the mic now.  

My God, I already told you that the two leagues are completely different, therefore there is no reason to make the comparison. I get it, you don't like women. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Max Fischer said:

My God, I already told you that the two leagues are completely different, therefore there is no reason to make the comparison. I get it, you don't like women. 

Nice backpedaling.   I think I've proven my point.  They should not be paid the same.  I like women - wife and two daughters.  Great humans.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Irv said:

Green hair missed on purpose then laughed.   

No.  Should WNBA get the same pay as NBA?

The idea that the NBA/WNBA pay imbalance is at all analogous to the USMNT/USWNT is beyond absurd and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the economics involved. 

On 8/6/2023 at 6:00 PM, K-9 said:

Sounds like “just shut up and dribble” to me. 

I never got the feeling they hate America in the least. I get the feeling that a few of their stars have used their platform over the years to sound off on certain issues and those opposed to their politics just can’t tolerate that. Ironically, nothing is more American than that. Especially in today’s public discourse. 

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding your position. I am not seeking an internet feud.

You claim that "nothing is more American" than stars using their platform to sound off on certain issues," yet; I get the feeling that you think it is wrong for Americans to root against them for doing so. 

To me that begs the question, do you deem it  non-patriotic for Americans to root against this team? Aren't folks who do so exercising the same rights as the team? Do fans who rooted for them to lose deserve scorn? If so, why? For not being patriots?

I was thrilled to see them lose. I am not ashamed to feel this way and think that I have a right to do so, just as much as the women on that team had their right to express themselves. 

Hey, jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding your position. I am not seeking an internet feud.

You claim that "nothing is more American" than stars using their platform to sound off on certain issues," yet; I get the feeling that you think it is wrong for Americans to root against them for doing so. 

To me that begs the question, do you deem it  non-patriotic for Americans to root against this team? Aren't folks who do so exercising the same rights as the team? Do fans who rooted for them to lose deserve scorn? If so, why? For not being patriots?

I was thrilled to see them lose. I am not ashamed to feel this way and think that I have a right to do so, just as much as the women on that team had their right to express themselves. 

Hey, jmo.

You totally misunderstand my post. I mean that nothing  is more American than voicing dissent and advocating for change while others voice their dissent against that, thus there is nothing non-patriotic in rooting against a team whose stars are advocating for something you disagree with. That’s as American as can be, especially in today’s 24/7, mass dissemination of  of opinion age. Patriotism has nothing to do with any of it in my view.

People exercising their 1st amendment rights to voice their opinions is foundational to our democracy. Again, as American as it gets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

You totally misunderstand my post. I mean that nothing  is more American than voicing dissent and advocating for change while others voice their dissent against that, thus there is nothing non-patriotic in rooting against a team whose stars are advocating for something you disagree with. That’s as American as can be, especially in today’s 24/7, mass dissemination of  of opinion age. Patriotism has nothing to do with any of it in my view.

People exercising their 1st amendment rights to voice their opinions is foundational to our democracy. Again, as American as it gets. 

If you were standing right next to me, I would kiss you. No tongue!  But definitely on the lips. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 3

I mean... They haven't lost since the 2011 WC...  Jeeze, it's 2023.  At least another country will get to win it. 

In 9 editions,  the USWNT won it 4 times. Sheesh, they are practically the New York Yankees of the game. Even Bill Mazeroski hits a walk-off once in awhile to beat the Yankees.  😏 

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If you were standing right next to me, I would kiss you. No tongue!  But definitely on the lips. 

Who you kidding, you'd slip him the tongue when he wasn't expecting it! 😏 

@K-9... I'd watch him pretty damn close! 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Except this was the World Cup.  Where you represent your nation to the World.  I can see doing it at home (OK, I can't since I think that when you're at work you're there to do a job, but what you do on your free time is your business).

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

How about this……does Rapinoe drive as much revenue as Messi?  

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Hey, jmo.

Personally I find it odd that someone would be able to play for their country while at the same time protesting the anthem.  It’s a contradiction.  No one is forcing a person to play.  You decide to play for your country in front of the world….then you get up in front of the world and refuse to acknowledge the anthem of the country for which you just decided to play. It’s their right because they live in the US.   IMO it’s an odd choice to represent something for which you have disdain.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Australia had a good outing v Denmark. Denmark became 1 dimensional very quickly into the game. Dominated possession but couldn’t capitalise on it or get themselves out of their own predictability. Being the (co) host nation, they’re dominating the media with each win. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don’t know, but much of the team did early in the tournament.

Is there actual evidence of this you can point me to? Or any evidence the Rapinoe haters can point to? Other than the color of her hair which has really gotten Irv going.

I have heard tons and tons of whining about Rapinoe and the team about being anti-American but have yet to see any actual evidence of them being anti-American. 

Edited by WEATHER DOT COM
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Is there actual evidence of this you can point me to? Or any evidence the Rapinoe haters can point to? Other than the color of her hair which has really gotten Irv going.

I have heard tons and tons of whining about Rapinoe and the team about being anti-American but have yet to see any actual evidence of them being anti-American. 

@Irv is a beauty school dropout.   Missed his midterms and flunked shampoo.  

It happens. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Personally I find it odd that someone would be able to play for their country while at the same time protesting the anthem.  It’s a contradiction.  No one is forcing a person to play.  You decide to play for your country in front of the world….then you get up in front of the world and refuse to acknowledge the anthem of the country for which you just decided to play. It’s their right because they live in the US.   IMO it’s an odd choice to represent something for which you have disdain.

You obviously need more education on this topic.

Every single guy who died in WWII, to name one of dozens of wars this country has fought, died so that this player could do what she did.  A peaceful political statement of this type could not be MORE AMERICAN.

If you want strict laws enforcing obedience as a single person sees fit, and stricter penalties for violating those laws, you belong in Putin's Russia.  

Or Stalin's USSR.  Or Hitler's Germany.

Have you considered emigrating to Russia?  I've been there.  

St. Petersburg is a lovely city.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Of course not. It's amazing you folks love to hate the US National Team and your "patriotism" only works for you when it's convenient. 

A wise man once said:

You could look your post from a very positive point of view, that this country is built on freedom and self-expression and that any "protest" is a strong indication of a healthy, free democracy; and their actions can be viewed as someone who believes the country could indeed be even better. In fact, you may even ask yourself, if they feel so strongly then perhaps we should listen to what they have to say. You don't have to ultimately agree, but you should feel comfort in their ability to say it. 

It's a soccer game.  When someone ruffles feathers, feathers get ruffled.  That's the point.  I'm ok.  You're ok.  We just disagree. 

Personally, I don't care if they win or lose.  I have no interest in soccer generally, but where I used to love the aspect of amateur athletics and the pursuit of glory, these super teams of well-compensated individuals doesn't hold much interest to me.   It seems more like a sponsorship deal than anything else, though I can see young fans being inspired to be great as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You obviously need more education on this topic.

Every single guy who died in WWII, to name one of dozens of wars this country has fought, died so that this player could do what she did.  A peaceful political statement of this type could not be MORE AMERICAN.

If you want strict laws enforcing obedience as a single person sees fit, and stricter penalties for violating those laws, you belong in Putin's Russia.  

Or Stalin's USSR.  Or Hitler's Germany.

Have you considered emigrating to Russia?  I've been there.  

St. Petersburg is a lovely city.

I don’t think that Britney dude would agree. :( 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Could you point me to the evidence you claim to have of "much of the team did it (protesting the anthem) early in the tournament" instead of this 7 second clip posted by a guy whose claim to fame is a book titled, Gender Madness: One Man's Devastating Struggle With Woke Ideology and His Battle to Protect Children?

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don’t know, but much of the team did early in the tournament.

Edited by WEATHER DOT COM
  • Eyeroll 1

• Simon locked this topic