FIFA Woman's World Cup...USWNT looking to 3 Peat!

Big Turk

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

The more pertinent question as it pertains to whether the women deserve to get paid as much as the money is how much does each US soccer league bring in?

I don't know if USA Soccer includes the MLS, USL, all the pro leagues in the US. Let me Google.

Still not clear. They do oversee pro and amateur soccer, but I don't see anything about revenues from the national teams. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_soccer_league_system

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Honestly glad they lost

Only American team I can't root for ...they put Way too much politics in sport

Definitely not an easy team to like. I don't care how you vote. The jersey ought to be unifying. Somewhere it became advocacy for an agenda more than representing the entire country.

• Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Definitely not an easy team to like. I don't care how you vote. The jersey ought to be unifying. Somewhere it became advocacy for an agenda more than representing the entire country.

Yep

Those women don't even see the hypocrisy that America gave them every chance and every resource to become superstars that young woman can look up to and inspire to be 

They could be in Iran or Saudi Arabia or North Korea... No rights 

But they're on the cover of every Wheaties box and every talk show in America

Talking about how they're being cheated 

It really makes me sick

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yep

Those women don't even see the hypocrisy that America gave them every chance and every resource to become superstars that young woman can look up to and inspire to be 

They could be in Iran or Saudi Arabia or North Korea... No rights 

But they're on the cover of every Wheaties box and every talk show in America

Talking about how they're being cheated 

It really makes me sick

Just shut up and dribble, right? 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No... They should play soccer and be thankful that they are given a platform to be stars 

Even younger woman soccer players have been turned off because the antics

You get the feeling some of them hate America.. so they shouldn't be representing us

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I am not opposed to athletes having opinions but this is one where they’ve made it easy to not feel terribly sympathetic and at times crossed into actively unlikable representatives of their country. 

the level of investment is high, their quality of life is still excellent. They are entertainers compensated based on the revenues their show brings in. They need to find ways to grow their pie, and not eat off someone else’s plate more than anything else. That’s not to say it’s perfect as is, but the gap between their current status and a relatively fair arrangement is much smaller than several of their stars portray.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No... They should play soccer and be thankful that they are given a platform to be stars 

You get the feeling some of them hate America.. so they shouldn't be representing us

I think hate is a strong word.

Hypercritical yes.  AND that's okay.  It's what America stands for. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think hate is a strong word.

Hypercritical yes.  AND that's okay.  It's what America stands for. 

Hate is very strong ... And it brings impact

I have nieces who are soccer players and they hate the team now compared to 10 years ago 

Being thankful for what you have is a huge part of life... Did you know if you make more than $20,000 a year....

You are in the 1% of wealth in the entire world... 

They're not thankful

Yet America is the bastion of Hope and gave them a platform to become superstars

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hate is very strong ... And it brings impact

I have nieces who are soccer players and they hate the team now compared to 10 years ago 

Being thankful for what you have is a huge part of life... Did you know if you make more than $20,000 a year....

You are in the 1% of wealth in the entire world... 

They're not thankful

Yet America is the bastion of Hope and gave them a platform to become superstars

Making more than 20k is top 1% LOLOL

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Making more than 20k is top 1% LOLOL

It is across the world 

That's why nobody's thankful anymore... Money's the root of all evil

If you took 6 billion people... And took their income

$20,000-$25,000 a year is in the top 1%, that's a fact

Now think about all the people in Africa and China suffering and India 

We have it great in America

What we call the top 1% in America..  is really the top .00001%

Huge difference

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

It is across the world 

That's why nobody's thankful anymore... Money's the root of all evil

If you took 6 billion people... And took their income

$20,000 a year is in the top 1%, that's a fact

Now think about all the people in Africa and China suffering and India 

We have it great in America

What we call the top 1% in America..  is really the top .00001%

Huge difference

20k in Africa is not comparable to the US, thats just rediculous

• Eyeroll 1

27 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

20k in Africa is not comparable to the US, thats just rediculous

You're not getting what I'm saying..  you can take the American dollar and turn it to pesos or the yen or the pound

Take all 6 billion people across the globe and average their income... The top 1% earners are $20,000 and up American dollars... Or 1,653,675.00 rupees whatever you prefer ... The average Indian makes 4,000 rupees a year.. 20k american is 1.6 million rupees

We are much richer... Like 1000% richer 

People in China work for 10 cents a day

We are extremely lucky

Nobody wants to point that out

People in China are working for 10 cents a day

You might not be the top 1% in America making 20 grand a year... But you're in the top 1% of the world

The top 1% in America... are the worlds .000000001 %

Extremely extremely lucky

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sounds like “just shut up and dribble” to me. 

I never got the feeling they hate America in the least. I get the feeling that a few of their stars have used their platform over the years to sound off on certain issues and those opposed to their politics just can’t tolerate that. Ironically, nothing is more American than that. Especially in today’s public discourse. 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You're not getting what I'm saying..  you can take the American dollar and turn it to pesos or the yen or the pound

Take all 6 billion people across the globe and average their income... The top 1% earners are $20,000 and up American dollars... Or 1,653,675.00 rupees whatever you prefer ... The average Indian makes 4,000 rupees a year.. 20k american is 1.6 million rupees

We are much richer... Like 500% richer 

People in China work for 10 cents a day

We are extremely lucky

Nobody wants to point that out

People in China are working for 10 cents a day

You might not be the top 1% in America making 20 grand a year... But you're in the top 1% of the world

The top 1% in America... are the worlds .000000001 %

Extremely extremely lucky

Then what are people complaining about economically... Why are they crying about taxes, inflation, etc... 

??

We got it good.  

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I never got the feeling they hate America in the least. I get the feeling that a few of their stars have used their platform over the years to sound off on certain issues and those opposed to their politics just can’t tolerate that. Ironically, nothing is more American than that. Especially in today’s public discourse. 

They literally complained to get a brand new contract

Then when they realized that contract wasn't beneficial to them... To what they thought 

Complained some more to try and get a new one

Yeah freedom of speech is absolutely staunchly American... Yet some people don't like when other people exercise freedom of speech

I think they're not grateful.. they have the right to say whatever they want

Doesn't mean Americans will support them

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Then what are people complaining about economically... Why are they crying about taxes, inflation, etc... 

??

We got it good.  

Americans love to complain

And don't realize how good we have it

Every single downtrodden person on the face of this Earth wants to come to America... We are the bastion of Hope

If They go to Canada or England, it's  because they couldn't get an American green card

But they all want to be in America

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That goes for everyone in America then.

Yeah but I'm the one who realizes how good we have it in this situation

Our men and women who have died for our freedoms gives them the right to speak their mind

They literally complained to get a brand new contract

Then when they realized that contract wasn't beneficial to them... To what they thought 

Complained some more to get a new one

Yeah freedom of speech is absolutely staunchly American... Yet some people don't like when other people exercise freedom of speech

I think they're not grateful

Americans love to complain

And don't realize how good we have it

There’s a line between complaining and seeking change for what you believe in. How thin that line is depends entirely on your viewpoint. Regardless, whatever a woman’s soccer team does or doesn’t do is no skin off my ass or yours. There are countless issues for us to be indignant about. Sorry, but women playing a kid’s game just doesn’t rise to that level for me. Your mileage may vary though. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah but I'm the one who realizes how good we have it in this situation

Our men and women who have died for our freedoms gives them the right to speak their mind

Great. Suck it up! It shouldn't bother you as much. Those that died for it are thankless.  There should be no power leverage here. No "don't let the door hit you in the ass" power play.

I guess, deconstruct this... You are complaining.  Why? Don't you realize how good you have it? 😉

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There’s a line between complaining and seeking change for what you believe in. How thin that line is depends entirely on your viewpoint. Regardless, whatever a woman’s soccer team does or doesn’t do is no skin off my ass or yours. There are countless issues for us to be indignant about. Sorry, but women playing a kid’s game just doesn’t rise to that level for me. Your mileage may vary though. 

I'm certainly not up in arms truthfully... We are on a message board

It's here for discussion

I just said that they're the only national team that I have a hard time rooting for in America

I certainly would go to sleep well tonight if they won or lost and I don't wish Ill will on the woman 

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Great. Suck it up! It shouldn't bother you as much. Those that died for it are thankless.  There should be no power leverage here. No "don't let the door hit you in the ass" power play.

I guess, deconstruct this... You are complaining.  Why? Don't you realize how good you have it? 😉

Lol

As I just told k9... It's a message board

We are here for discussion

Whether the discussion is an easy or a hard one to have... I personally like good discussion with differing viewpoints

I have no ill will on the woman besides that I really don't root for them

But I also didn't root for Sweden

Edited by Buffalo716

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's here for discussion

I just said that they're the only national team that I have a hard time rooting for in America

I certainly would go to sleep well tonight if they won or lost and I don't wish Ill will on the woman 

Lol

Whether the discussion is an easy or a hard one to have... I personally like good discussion with differing viewpoints

Yeah... Same. I meant that since Sweden won, can cheer them on! USWNT have won so many in the past. I don't want them to become an Evil Empire too. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

It definitely seems to depend on how you vote. Tons of people find them easy to like. US athletes using their platform to speak on political/social issues is as old as the uniform itself. How loud it becomes simply depends on the social/political climate.

53 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's here for discussion

Lol

You said you're glad they lost. That's ill will. It's easier to work through your issues if you're honest with yourself.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It definitely seems to depend on how you vote. Tons of people find them easy to like. US athletes using their platform to speak on political/social issues is as old as the uniform itself. How loud it becomes simply depends on the social/political climate.

You said you're glad they lost. That's ill will. It's easier to work through your issues if you're honest with yourself.

Whatever you think 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

So, just for clarification, if the soccer team were vocal in a different direction on political/social issues, would that alter your response to them?

And I would still root for the U.S. team to win. I was not deeply chagrined when they lost, however.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

So, just for clarification, if the soccer team were vocal in a different direction on political/social issues, would that alter your response to them?

And I would still root for the U.S. team to win. I was not deeply chagrined when they lost, however.

Agree... But they've won their share... Wasn't rooting against them, but off tournaments happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Same. I meant that since Sweden won, can cheer them on! USWNT have won so many in the past. I don't want them to become an Evil Empire too. 

We are all going to miss the green and purple hair.... don't want to think if the carpet matches the drapes. 

They blew it and there isn't much munching around that. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Just my two cents but it rubs me the wrong way when elite athletes chosen to represent the USA choose to 'sound off' using the national anthem of the country that they chose to represent as a form of protest. It's incongruous to me - particularly since the core values of our country allow for them (or any other citizen) to sound off on whatever issue they choose to.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

hubby is a huge soccer guy ex coach. One comment he made that I haven't read is that with PK's, missing 2 is usually the kiss of death. Missing 3? They were bound to be toast

He also said he US goalie nearly had the save on the winning shot but by a sliver it went in. 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Nope. I'm not well versed in or subscribe to everything they speak out about, but I like watching soccer and that's what I tune in for.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Just my two cents but it rubs me the wrong way when elite athletes chosen to represent the USA choose to 'sound off' using the national anthem of the country that they chose to represent as a form of protest. It's incongruous to me - particularly since the core values of our country allow for them (or any other citizen) to sound off on whatever issue they choose to.  

That sounds harmonious as hell, brother.

They can sound off about anything they want however they want and face the backlash.

Then they can go play soccer (unless they violate rules/laws and get suspended.)

This self-righteous patriotic BS is something else.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

hubby is a huge soccer guy ex coach. One comment he made that I haven't read is that with PK's, missing 2 is usually the kiss of death. Missin 3? They were bound to be toast

He also said he US goalie nearly had the save on the winning shot but by a silver it went in. 

Absolutely. Sweden had already missed two and the US had them dead to rights.

They totally choked. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

OK, I'll bite.

Could someone please explain to me why the USWNT not singing the national anthem is an issue? They are professional athletes. Is there something in their job description that says because they play for a national team, singing along or mouthing words is a requirement? Or that not doing so is unpatriotic and a violation of rules? Or is all this angst reaction to a false perception that every athlete from other countries in the women's world cup sang their own national anthem, and how dare the USWNT not follow suit like lemmings? Why does one have to sing out loud and yell "USA! USA!" to show their "patriotism" overtly?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't recall anyone on the team making an overt issue of this until the media / twitter asshats got on their case for a perceived slight. It probably would have sailed quietly into the good night. Rapinoe may have been vocal with her views and I see that that ruffles feathers. As may comments from her opponents ruffle the feathers of those who don't agree with them.

I've always understood that the price of "freedom" is tolerance of other views and the right to respectfully disagree. Where did this go?

I'd guess the issue is some people are very thin-skinned these days and perceive everything as a personal insult to their way of life. 🤒 Give me back the ability to just listen and disagree.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Absolutely. Sweden had already missed two and the US had them dead to rights.

They totally choked. 

Yep. Humans, unlike robots, sometimes choke. Happens to the best of them as we all know. They were beaten by an opponent who was better on the day. Oh well.

Personally, as a football fan, I think they've raised the bar for the world over the last 20 years. One or two bad tournaments doesn't erase the mark they've left. Nor should it, or any amount of noise over perceived slights from their supposed ill behaviour.

Edited by Rat-boy
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rat-boy said:

OK, I'll bite.

Could someone please explain to me why the USWNT not singing the national anthem is an issue? They are professional athletes. Is there something in their job description that says because they play for a national team, singing along or mouthing words is a requirement? Or that not doing so is unpatriotic and a violation of rules? Or is all this angst reaction to a false perception that every athlete from other countries in the women's world cup sang their own national anthem, and how dare the USWNT not follow suit like lemmings? Why does one have to sing out loud and yell "USA! USA!" to show their "patriotism" overtly?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't recall anyone on the team making an overt issue of this until the media / twitter asshats got on their case for a perceived slight. It probably would have sailed quietly into the good night. Rapinoe may have been vocal with her views and I see that that ruffles feathers. As may comments from her opponents ruffle the feathers of those who don't agree with them.

I've always understood that the price of "freedom" is tolerance of other views and the right to respectfully disagree. Where did this go?

I'd guess the issue is some people are very thin-skinned these days and perceive everything as a personal insult to their way of life. 🤒 Give me back the ability to just listen and disagree.

It's all made-up BS. Some US players sang, some didn't. Some Sweden players sang theirs and some didn't.

The self-righteous nationalist BS that gets parroted on social media/internet is not patriotic. Those are two different things.

Sweden wasn't even better that day. That's what kind of sucks about it. The US looked like they turned a corner with their changed-up strategy. They just couldn't finish it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's all made-up BS. Some US players sang, some didn't. Some Sweden players sang theirs and some didn't.

The self-righteous nationalist BS that gets parroted on social media/internet is not patriotic. Those are two different things.

Sweden wasn't even better that day. That's what kind of sucks about it. The US looked like they turned a corner with their changed-up strategy. They just couldn't finish it.

I agree -- I suppose I misspoke. USA outplayed Sweden most of the day from a strategic standpoint and deserved to come out on top IMO. Sometime the ball just doesn't find the net.

I have to say, though, that I hate PKs and always have. Horrid way to end matches.

Edited by Rat-boy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rat-boy said:

I agree -- I suppose I misspoke. USA outplayed Sweden most of the day from a strategic standpoint and deserved to come out on top IMO. Sometime the ball just doesn't find the net.

I have to say, though, that I hate PKs and always have. Horrid way to end matches.

Saw a few players say the same thing in the post game and it actually kinda annoyed me. 

They had two hours of play time to score a goal and couldn’t.  No one to blame but yourselves at that point.   You have to move on to something else at some point. 

Maybe don’t miss the net completely on 2 of 3 penalty kicks.  They were sloppy and deserved to lose.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Saw a few players say the same thing in the post game and it actually kinda annoyed me. 

They had two hours of play time to score a goal and couldn’t.  No one to blame but yourselves at that point.   You have to move on to something else at some point. 

Maybe don’t miss the net completely on 2 of 3 penalty kicks.  They were sloppy and deserved to lose.  

I have watched every match , and this was a good game by both teams. It was definitely the best the USA played in the cup. They had it right there to win , esp with Sweden missing one and the USA keeper blocking one in addition. Smith had played a good game and all she had to do was put her kick in and it would have been over. The usa’s keeper not only blocked one but also kicked her penalty kick in, while 3 USA players , including the always vocal Megan rapinoe , missed their kicks as the Sweden keeper never blocked a single penalty  shot.   It seemed like karma as RAPINOE was seen dancing on the field after they played poorly against Portugal , yet made it thru to the elimination phase with a 0-0 draw. Many commented, including former USA players , that her’s and the teams resection seemed tone deaf.  The USA only managed 5 points in the pre knockout phase with 1 win and two draws; their lowest point total in many cups. The game was really won by the Sweden keeper who blocked 11 shots in the game and many were amazing saves.   Personally , I thought it was ironic for Rapinoe , likely playing her last cup , missed her pk so badly.  

She was a very late substitution and she also played poorly , looking slow and ineffective in her appearance as a sub for Alex Morgan. All i could think was maybe its time to go , as her focus is so much about equal pay , LGBTQ issues etc, when the reason she had any platform to begin with was because the USA won so much as a team focused on soccer, not social issues. It felt similar to all the loud noise heard from the wnba players who complain about pay , yet have a poor product based on market results. It’s ok to have a voice , but it seems they may be forgetting the main reason anyone even looks their way is primarily based on athletic talent and team results. It’s no wonder they are drawing heavy criticism, while at the same time many fans have mixed feelings over their loss as the team appeared arrogant and entitled throughout the cup prior to their best game resulting in the loss. This is not the same USWST that had many role models like Hamm, but now seems more agenda driven, with prior recent players like HOPE being arrested DWI while  having her children in the car with her. Nice police cam of her arrest on YouTube. This team is now squandering all the good will they had earned as a great team young American girls could look up to. 

I agree, they deserved the loss , tho the keeper really played a very good game and even partially blocked swedens winning kick as it  barely made it past the goal line only after video review, as the goalie even hit it a second time while it rebounded past her.   Tough loss, but you are right , deserved and i really wasn’t upset seeing this US team eat a little humble pie.   I understand your view, , but why not keep playing the regular game like the NHL does ?   That format has resulted in some great classic overtime games.  Why switch to an entirely different format of play to decide such a huge event like a World Cup,  after just 30 additional overtime minutes?   Hey , even the NFL  realized they need  be better in the playoffs regarding overtime. While exciting in a way , the pk format gave a result where many felt the best team didn’t move on, just like the BILLS/KC game. I can see pks for regular , pre knockout type games , but i think the final 16 elimination phase deserves a better overtime conclusion and the NHL has it right.   ( watching now as England won on pks over Nigeria , and Australia just took the lead 1-0 against Denmark.  The World Cup is an event worth watching IMHO ). 

• Like (+1) 2

Green hair missed on purpose then laughed.   

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

So . . . women don't deserve equal pay? 

No.  Should WNBA get the same pay as NBA?

Edited by Irv

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

You could look your post from a very positive point of view, that this country is built on freedom and self-expression and that any "protest" is a strong indication of a healthy, free democracy; and their actions can be viewed as someone who believes the country could indeed be even better. In fact, you may even ask yourself, if they feel so strongly then perhaps we should listen to what they have to say. You don't have to ultimately agree, but you should feel comfort in their ability to say it. 

It's amazing when I hear folks spout on national TV that they are being silenced and at the same time shouting down folks for expressing their concern about a public policy issue. 

See the the inverse of this:  Russia, Iran, China and the list sadly goes on.

• Like (+1) 1