The Sound of Freedom

Id love to hear thoughts on this subject, the political agendas that seem to be tugging in different directions and thoughts on what this all may mean.  Curious to hear what others think about "weird" things happening at the actual theaters

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/11/business/sound-of-freedom-trafficking.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/sound-of-freedom-whats-the-deal-with-the-controversial-box-office-hit

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sound-of-freedom-box-office-jim-caviezel-qanon-conspiracy-theories-ashton-kutcher-195208217.html

Edited by TBBills Fan

I watched the trailer, but didn't read anything about this, nor do I know anything about this film.

Simply judging the trailer, it looks like a not very good movie, highly sappy, Hollywoody, and overly preachy.

What? It's about child trafficking around the world and its point is that's bad?  That seems reasonable.

This is yet another "fictional" Hollywood film that would likely have been MUCH BETTER as a non-fiction documentary about the subject matter.  THAT I would watch.  This movie I will not see, unless I stumble on it for "Free" in a few years on HBO when I'm flipping the channels and I'm bored.  Lots of films fall into that category for me!

PS:  THIS is the true sound of freedom (TURN UP SPEAKERS):

Edited by Nextmanup

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Exactly.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I watched the trailer, but didn't read anything about this, nor do I know anything about this film.

Simply judging the trailer, it looks like a not very good movie, highly sappy, Hollywoody, and overly preachy.

What? It's about child trafficking around the world and its point is that's bad?  That seems reasonable.

This is yet another "fictional" Hollywood film that would likely have been MUCH BETTER as a non-fiction documentary about the subject matter.  THAT I would watch.  This movie I will not see, unless I stumble on it for "Free" in a few years on HBO when I'm flipping the channels and I'm bored.  Lots of films fall into that category for me!

Yet, Taken was a box office smash.

How does Taken blow up as a franchise and this gets blacklisted for 5 years?

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

Exactly.

Good taste?   

Plenty of movie chains are willing to rent theaters now if you want to pay to show something movie chain is not interested in carrying.

This is what movie chains do - they choose movies they believe will make a profit for them.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I haven't watched the film. I won't be seeing it at the theater. The last movie I saw in a cinema was The Artist, I think. Before that it was the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. Nonetheless, I did see an interview with Jim Caviezel and it appeared to me there is a real person whose story is the basis for the film. So perhaps it's been given the Hollywood treatment, I don't know, but it isn't simply a story about a topic that is concerning. 

On 7/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, boyst said:

Exactly.

FWIW ...  Here's a piece on the film with some explanations about why it's controversial ... and why it wasn't released sooner: Why 'Sound of Freedom' is a Hit.

49 minutes ago, SoTier said:

FWIW ...  Here's a piece on the film with some explanations about why it's controversial ... and why it wasn't released sooner: Why 'Sound of Freedom' is a Hit.

First, the USA Today newspaper is a pretty low end tabloid. Its topical approach and overall effect to local news, specifically through its parent company have ruined community communication bases.

2nd, I have not read one single review of the movie that doesn't leap to call it a right wing propaganda situation, or link "q-anon" etc.

3rd, it should be clear that critics are morons paid to stir emotions like Cowherd. They're not honest or living in a world of regular people. These same people praised Cuties or for its bravery and called it a great movie. They hated Hillbillyollogy and clowned on it for being too fake. The same people that praised Concussion and the little Mermaid remake as historic movies.

This is being made into something to make something of it. Plain and simple. It's a movie that shines a light on a real problem. It doesn't need a message, to be a symbol, or some sort of characterization of its deeper meaning. If these media types truly wanted to make it go away, they wouldn't cover it. They only ended up covering it because they were forced to by its popularity of the people - and when they covers it they are taking a massive ***** on it just because they hate the people who like the things they don't. 

For the record I never saw cuties, I won't see this movie, either.

• Like (+1) 1

Jim Caveziel sounds normal. 🙄

“The adrenochrome conspiracy, a bizarre theory with antisemitic roots, posits that Satan-worshipping global and Hollywood elites run a massive child trafficking ring to drain their blood and harvest the chemical adrenochrome to stay young, and has been embraced by subscribers of the QAnon and Pizzagate conspiracy movements, including key people affiliated with the recent hit movie The Sound of Freedom.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/conormurray/2023/07/15/the-adrenochrome-conspiracy-theory-pushed-by-sound-of-freedom-star-explained/amp/

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

First, the USA Today newspaper is a pretty low end tabloid. Its topical approach and overall effect to local news, specifically through its parent company have ruined community communication bases.

2nd, I have not read one single review of the movie that doesn't leap to call it a right wing propaganda situation, or link "q-anon" etc.

3rd, it should be clear that critics are morons paid to stir emotions like Cowherd. They're not honest or living in a world of regular people. These same people praised Cuties or for its bravery and called it a great movie. They hated Hillbillyollogy and clowned on it for being too fake. The same people that praised Concussion and the little Mermaid remake as historic movies.

This is being made into something to make something of it. Plain and simple. It's a movie that shines a light on a real problem. It doesn't need a message, to be a symbol, or some sort of characterization of its deeper meaning. If these media types truly wanted to make it go away, they wouldn't cover it. They only ended up covering it because they were forced to by its popularity of the people - and when they covers it they are taking a massive ***** on it just because they hate the people who like the things they don't. 

For the record I never saw cuties, I won't see this movie, either.

Did you read the article?   It referenced/quoted several positive reviews as well as others that panned it.  It also stated that the movie doesn't make any reference to QAnon or make any political statements.   The connection to QAnon apparently stems from the film star's comments.

i don't know if this was mentioned in the articles, but people are pushing this a bit further as some theaters have been having trouble during the showing such as lights being left on and the a/c not working.  people are really reading into this.

35 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Did you read the article?   It referenced/quoted several positive reviews as well as others that panned it.  It also stated that the movie doesn't make any reference to QAnon or make any political statements.   The connection to QAnon apparently stems from the film star's comments.

Yes I did. And of course it's a dog whistle. To list the bad they have to gloss over the good reviews.

The article is spun negatively in a non-bias lens

That cavezilemtions q-anon outside of the movie doesn't have relevance to the movie, as well.

The media, specifically USA Today and ownership are extremely bias and dangerous media. They've shut down thousands of local newspapers/reporters. 

51 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

“The adrenochrome conspiracy, a bizarre theory with antisemitic roots, posits that Satan-worshipping global and Hollywood elites run a massive child trafficking ring to drain their blood and harvest the chemical adrenochrome to stay young, and has been embraced by subscribers of the QAnon and Pizzagate conspiracy movements, including key people affiliated with the recent hit movie The Sound of Freedom.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/conormurray/2023/07/15/the-adrenochrome-conspiracy-theory-pushed-by-sound-of-freedom-star-explained/amp/

None of the above has anything to do with the movie itself.  Not a thing.  I’m sure there was dramatization but the core content itself is based on actual people and their stories.  Why does the lead actor matter?  

Many actors have opinions on all sorts of topics.  Some have even lost their marbles.  One just shot a woman on set.  How does that connect to their movies?  Have you stopped watching Kevin Spacey movies?  No more Christmas Vacation for you because Randy Quaid?  Watching Harvey Weinstein productions off limits?

I saw a rebuke of the movie in another review that called it political simply because it “overstated” the number of children being trafficked in today’s world.  It offered no explanation of the claim.  It made no statement about real trafficking numbers.  It offered no opinion on what number was “acceptable”.  It did not deny the reality of the movie’s main plot.   Should the story be dismissed because of the politics of the lead actor or is that really sticking fingers in ears and singing la la la? 

Many, many of the best movies both biographical and fictional are about individuals overcoming odds for a good cause or personal redemption.  Actors and actresses of all political stripes have contributed to these stories.

No one is forced to see this or any movie but dismissing a movie, calling  a movie “political” and backing up that claim with vapor is weak sauce.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

None of the above has anything to do with the movie itself.  Not a thing.  I’m sure there was dramatization but the core content itself is based on actual people and their stories.  Why does the lead actor matter?  

Many actors have opinions on all sorts of topics.  Some have even lost their marbles.  One just shot a woman on set.  How does that connect to their movies?  Have you stopped watching Kevin Spacey movies?  No more Christmas Vacation for you because Randy Quaid?  Watching Harvey Weinstein productions off limits?

I saw a rebuke of the movie in another review that called it political simply because it “overstated” the number of children being trafficked in today’s world.  It offered no explanation of the claim.  It made no statement about real trafficking numbers.  It offered no opinion on what number was “acceptable”.  It did not deny the reality of the movie’s main plot.   Should the story be dismissed because of the politics of the lead actor or is that really sticking fingers in ears and singing la la la? 

Many, many of the best movies both biographical and fictional are about individuals overcoming odds for a good cause or personal redemption.  Actors and actresses of all political stripes have contributed to these stories.

No one is forced to see this or any movie but dismissing a movie, calling  a movie “political” and backing up that claim with vapor is weak sauce.  

It’s not a coincidence that the vast majority of people going to see this are right wingers, many of whom think it proves their misguided conspiracy theories about Democrats running and endorsing child trafficking. As opposed to the actors/movies you mentioned, in this case there is a correlation between the actors, backers, and viewers of this movie and the conspiracy theories attached to the subject.

30 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

It’s not a coincidence that the vast majority of people going to see this are right wingers, many of whom think it proves their misguided conspiracy theories about Democrats running and endorsing child trafficking. As opposed to the actors/movies you mentioned, in this case there is a correlation between the actors, backers, and viewers of this movie and the conspiracy theories attached to the subject.

Have you read a single thing written about this movie that indicates it in any way blames democrats or absolves republicans of a single thing involved?

Don’t go see this movie or any movie if you don’t want to see it.

I’ll just point out that making the statements you made above about people who have seen it is something that is better backed up rather that simply stated.   Is wrongthink the correlation you draw to the actors?  How did that wrongthink find its way into the movie?  If it did, why haven’t even the negative reviews pointed out a single specific example?  If there is no wrongthink in the movie and if is reasonably factual, what is the problem?

There was a terrific documentary series on Netflix called “The Pharmacist” about OxyContin and the opioid crisis.  A similar dramatization with Michael Keaton called “Dopesick” was about the same topic.  Dopesick blamed members of both parties.  The Pharmacist didn’t go so much into politics but documented the inaction of the bureaucracy.  I thought both were well done although they still make me sad.  I have no idea of the political affiliation of the actors, producers or financiers of either.  The underlying topic is clearly a concerning one.  I think the underlying topic of child trafficking is concerning as well.

• Agree 3

58 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

It’s not a coincidence that the vast majority of people AVOIDING going to see this are right  LEFT wingers, many of whom think it proves their misguided conspiracy theories about Democrats  REPULICANS BLAMING SOLELY DEMOCRATS FOR running and endorsing child trafficking. 

See how easy that is?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

Why are you blaming the actor of the movie for the contents?

As pointed out... are we avoiding Sean Pean movies because he beat up Madonna? Are we not going to watch movies with Spacey because he's a weirdo creep?

Why is this single movie getting raked so heavily without anyone finding a factual error in it? The closest is that it may overstate the situation; regardless of 1 victim being too many.

It's just a red herring the media is using to generate clicks, the talking heads are speaking out about to have their voice heard, and the politicians to speak to their following etc.

We indulge ourselves in movies like Taken being dramatic action packed kick ass. We laugh at some rather crude humor in Animal House. ... But ...this movie is getting headlines and this treatment? Why?

...because people are sheep and thinking it matters. And someone said something and then someone else said something. Now it's what people choose to talk about as if it actually has value or importance.

It doesn't. It is art. If you like it watch it. If you don't, don't. 

5 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

This qanon thing is a hoax.  It's a conspiracy theory ginned up by leftists about a secret cabal of right wing extremists that believe all kinds of conspiracy theories.  

A conspiracy theory about people believing conspiracy theories.  Cool, right? The libs have got quite an imagination considering they're morons.

5 hours ago, teef said:

i don't know if this was mentioned in the articles, but people are pushing this a bit further as some theaters have been having trouble during the showing such as lights being left on and the a/c not working.  people are really reading into this.

I heard a conspiracy theory that Far-Right Christian Extremists spent $100 million buying up tickets to this movie. That's why they don't need A/C or dimmed lights because no one is actually sitting in the theater.

Also, Isn't it suspicious that there are two threads on this movie!? Which one is the real one?

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

This qanon thing is a hoax.  It's a conspiracy theory ginned up by leftists about a secret cabal of right wing extremists that believe all kinds of conspiracy theories.  

A conspiracy theory about people believing conspiracy theories.  Cool, right? The libs have got quite an imagination considering they're morons.

I had some wild idea from.the beginning that this q-anon crap was a Democratic strategy operation. It'd make a hell of a lot of good sense to expose the hysteria of any group of people.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Qanon beliefs are a hoax, but a good portion of right wingers subscribe to it and identify with it.

https://theconversation.com/qanon-is-spreading-outside-the-us-a-conspiracy-theory-expert-explains-what-that-could-mean-198272

7 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Qanon beliefs are a hoax, but a good portion of right wingers subscribe to it and identify with it.

https://theconversation.com/qanon-is-spreading-outside-the-us-a-conspiracy-theory-expert-explains-what-that-could-mean-198272

Want to know when a story is an actual hoax?

When they cite unnamed "fact checkers" and "experts" throughout the piece.

I think I'll do that when I submit my next paper for review. Any claim I make ill just say experts (me and those who agree with me) said so. End of story.

:lol:

But when someone who writes a critique of sound of freedom also is a pedophile....then thats just another Qanon conspiracy according to experts and fact checkers!

Useful idiots like @PastaJoe are forever lost.

• Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Have you seen it yet?

Not yet…was supposed to on Sunday with my mom but she went into the hospital instead…I’ll probably go this Saturday with the wife…

How about you? Have you seen it yet?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

was supposed to on Sunday with my mom but she went into the hospital instead

Are you sure mom just wasn't trying to stop you from seeing it?

Sorry, probably bad to joke about that but I was guessing she's ok since you're going with your wife now...

... but the story about AMC cinemas deliberately sabotaging the movie was shot down by the movie's producers/distributors themselves. Just another example of the workings of the Faux Outrage Machine.

https://www.angel.com/press/release/angel-studios-statement-on-sound-of-freedom-and-amc-theaters

“We understand there are rumors—predominantly in social media—that AMC theaters have made it difficult for fans to see SOUND of FREEDOM in local AMC theaters, and we want to make it clear these rumors are not accurate,” states Brandon Purdie, Head of Angel Theatrical Distribution. “AMC has been an outstanding partner for Angel Studios, and in fact, as a result of the movie’s performance and consumer demand, AMC has agreed to add additional screens for SOUND OF FREEDOM this weekend. 

“Angel Studios and the producers of SOUND OF FREEDOM are asking our fans to support AMC, and all of our other theatrical partners. Summer is the busiest season for people working in theaters, so we ask that anyone attending a screening of SOUND OF FREEDOM show kindness to their local theater staff. We have the best movie fans in the business. Let’s continue to show theaters the love that Angel supporters are known for.”

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Are you sure mom just wasn't trying to stop you from seeing it?

Sorry, probably bad to joke about that but I was guessing she's ok since you're going with your wife now...

... but the story about AMC cinemas deliberately sabotaging the movie was shot down by the movie's producers/distributors themselves. Just another example of the workings of the Faux Outrage Machine.

https://www.angel.com/press/release/angel-studios-statement-on-sound-of-freedom-and-amc-theaters

“We understand there are rumors—predominantly in social media—that AMC theaters have made it difficult for fans to see SOUND of FREEDOM in local AMC theaters, and we want to make it clear these rumors are not accurate,” states Brandon Purdie, Head of Angel Theatrical Distribution. “AMC has been an outstanding partner for Angel Studios, and in fact, as a result of the movie’s performance and consumer demand, AMC has agreed to add additional screens for SOUND OF FREEDOM this weekend. 

“Angel Studios and the producers of SOUND OF FREEDOM are asking our fans to support AMC, and all of our other theatrical partners. Summer is the busiest season for people working in theaters, so we ask that anyone attending a screening of SOUND OF FREEDOM show kindness to their local theater staff. We have the best movie fans in the business. Let’s continue to show theaters the love that Angel supporters are known for.”

I haven’t spoke to her yet, but she is staying over for at least a few nights for observation and tests…

As for the movie (pertaining to the “faux outrage machine”) you could almost say that the Left’s recent addiction to censorship has contributed to many feeling that there is a conspiracy to silence, or deter, anything that is non woke…

I would have to say, as a person who has experienced it myself, that it’s a very legitimate concern…

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I haven’t spoke to her yet, but she is staying over for at least a few nights for observation and tests…

As for the movie (pertaining to the “faux outrage machine”) you could almost say that the Left’s recent addiction to censorship has contributed to many feeling that there is a conspiracy to silence, or deter, anything that is non woke…

I would have to say, as a person who has experienced it myself, that it’s a very legitimate concern…

Hope your Mom is ok, Ja. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Not yet…was supposed to on Sunday with my mom but she went into the hospital instead…I’ll probably go this Saturday with the wife…

How about you? Have you seen it yet?

Sorry to hear about Mom - hope she is ok! 

I will see it when it ends up on Netflix or another streaming service.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watched in on Tuesday and it's a GREAT movie. I don't see ANY aspect of the film as to why people on the left would be triggered. At all. 

Makes zero sense because it doesn't push any anti-left or pro-right ideology. It shows the operation that Tim Ballard took part in and what he did following his reignition from the Department of Homeland Security. NOTHING about politics in the film. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

You really cannot make this up 

Don't watch The Kings Speech, Django Unchained or The Imitation Game because Harvey Weinstein produced those movies. 

I'm still waiting to hear what's so controversial about the films content. Nothing in the movie was anti-left. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Don't watch The Kings Speech, Django Unchained or The Imitation Game because Harvey Weinstein produced those movies. 

I'm still waiting to hear what's so controversial about the films content. Nothing in the movie was anti-left. 

No one is defending Harvey Weinstein. 

But the irony of funding a movie about child trafficking and then getting arrested for kidnapping an underage kid is so MAGA.

Of course you fail to acknowledge the irony.

12 hours ago, BillStime said:

You really cannot make this up 

Apparently you can.

And (of course) Billstime fell for it.     giphy.gif

There is nothing too low, nothing too sideways, nothing too GROSS for the Left to pull when it comes to smearing the movie, 'Sound of Freedom'.

God forbid we actually all agree that SEX-TRAFFICKING IS WRONG and something we should talk about. But oh NO, they found one horrible human being out of several thousand (7000+) who donated to a GOFUNDME that allowed anyone to donate and claim he's a 'financier' of the film as a means to crap all over the very successful and powerful film.

From Newsweek:

One of the thousands of patrons of the crowdfunded anti-child trafficking film Sound of Freedom was recently arrested and charged for child kidnapping, according to a court filing and social media posts.

Fabian Marta was charged with felony child kidnapping in July, while since-removed Facebook posts appear to show the same person revealing their pride in funding the film. Marta's name appears in the movie's credits among the "investors [who] helped bring Sound of Freedom to theaters."

Along with the other donors.

THOUSANDS. They even reported it in the story themselves.

And financier? REALLY? According to Webster, the word financier means, 'a person concerned with the management of large amounts of money on behalf of governments or other large organizations.'

Newsweek and Pop Crave both know damn well what they were doing. They wanted to make this guy out to be a key player for the film so they could use it to trash the Right. 

We honestly don't understand why they want to take the movie down so badly.

And by all means, this man should be exposed. But it should be THE TRUTH. That he is in no way a financier and only one of thousands and thousands of people who donated hundreds of millions to the film.

https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/08/04/newsweek-popcrave-sets-out-to-smear-sound-of-freedom-with-the-worst-yet-n2386004

• Thank you (+1) 1