'Quarterback' on Netflix

Jukester

On 7/16/2023 at 12:56 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Huh? Haven't watched the show. I'm talking about how Mahomes sprinted from the EZ to Allen after throwing a GW TD to embrace him and congratulate him on a great game.

That's all I needed to know how great a dude (aka human) Mahomes is. That was rare.

Yeah Mahomes has always been a pretty good dude...his wife and brother have at times (especially his brother) hurt his perception by some people, but ultimately Mahomes has always come across as a class act.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's been renewed for a 2nd season.  I hope they go with Allen as the top elite guy

then maybe DAK as the kirk cousins guy that is good but can't get over the hump

And then maybe Mayfield or Garropollo as the vet getting his last shot at the job OR ...if you don't go that way, then do Geno Smith....a guy that was cast off to the side for years before getting his chance and making good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 7/14/2023 at 11:58 AM, 90sBills said:

Could it be that he has crushed Mafia’s souls twice in the playoffs, including one that was so gut wrenching there’s a name for it?

Dunno just a guess. 

Nah it’s just that he’s a complete tool on and off the field. Documentary has confirmed that for me 

• Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 3

On 7/13/2023 at 12:09 AM, PetermansRedemption said:

I saw the preview and will probably watch. Just wish it wasn’t Mahomes or at least it also had Allen instead of Cousins or Mariota. Cousins and Mariota? Really? Wonder if all the better options declined. Mariota is borderline irrelevant and Cousins is Mr Average. 

They wanted to cover all three tiers of quarterbacking.  Mahomes as the superstar. Cousins as the middle of the road and Mariota as the bottom. It's more interesting that way, instead of just leaching on to the stars. I watched the whole series. It was enjoyable to see the way all three prepare.

And respect for Mahomes. That kid is a beast. His core strength, body and arm flexibility, pain tolerance and desire to win is admirable. I like Josh better, but he is a hell of a QB

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

It's been renewed for a 2nd season.  I hope they go with Allen as the top elite guy

And then maybe Mayfield or Garropollo as the vet getting his last shot at the job OR ...if you don't go that way, then do Geno Smith....a guy that was cast off to the side for years before getting his chance and making good.

Considering how a large part of this show revolves around the family life of players I have some doubts whether they would target Allen or any of the players you mentioned since most or all are unmarried without kids.   Hope they do though.

5 hours ago, DocLawless said:

Nah it’s just that he’s a complete tool on and off the field. Documentary has confirmed that for me 

We must have watched different documentaries. The one I saw showed a driven athlete striving to be the best at his craft while still making time for his family. Maybe that’s your definition of ‘a complete tool’? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/20/2023 at 2:20 PM, Lost said:

Considering how a large part of this show revolves around the family life of players I have some doubts whether they would target Allen or any of the players you mentioned since most or all are unmarried without kids.   Hope they do though.

They can cover whatever he is doing.  Could be charity could be farming could be life with friends could be about bills mafia.  I don’t think lack of wife changes much

18 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They can cover whatever he is doing.  Could be charity could be farming could be life with friends could be about bills mafia.  I don’t think lack of wife changes much

Dudes literally dating a famous actress, this would get more non-football fans to watch 

On 7/20/2023 at 2:13 PM, Zerovoltz said:

I'd like to see Kyler Murray because I need some tips on playing Call of Duty. And maybe they do a Christmas special featuring Mac Jones so we can see exactly how that Elf on a Shelf looking f-er gets himself on the Christmas tree every night.

Joke aside, I think Russ Wilson may be a solid choice as well. 

I'm late to this - started watching this weekend and am 3 episodes in.

My observations so far:

• I like they have 3 different levels of QB being featured. You get to see it from all perspectives.
  • I'm mad at Neflix for making me like Kirk Cousins. I'm still not a huge fan, but he comes across pretty well in this. He owns his dorkiness and I can respect that. I also like his hidden memorabilia room so he can keep collecting his stuff but not make it look corny.
  • Speaking of Cousins, episode 3 focusing on how injured his ribs were and how much he was struggling in the game against the Bills only further serves to show how much Frazier needed to go. The guy is struggling just to talk to people, and we can't get hits on him.

All in all tho, I'm really enjoying the show. And it's been nice to finally start feeling like the same fan I was in the 80s/90s, where I could watch stuff about other players and teams without being so bitter. For me, that is due to having a top QB and a top team again. I can watch this stuff and just enjoy it as a fan of the game knowing our guys are featured with respect, and we'll have another shot this year.

On 7/21/2023 at 8:14 PM, JimBob2232 said:

Cousins was actually pretty interesting.  Mahomes is a guy i like - i just have to hate him!   Agree - mariota was a WTF kinda guy.

I dont mind Mahomes off the field. I think he is becoming my new Dan Marino. Respected him, was fine with him off field as a real person, hated him while we were playing him and loved to beat him.

Mahomes seems like a good dude and pretty humble given his upbringing and rocket to stardom.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Marcus Mariota just oozes "not gonna make it" and did so even in the clips from when he was drafted. you can tell even when he is pumping his team up that his grasp on the job and his abilities is frail. 

"Not gonna make it"?!?!?

Dude won the Heisman in college, was drafted #2 overall, is on his 8th season in the NFL, and has career earnings over $64M so far.

What more does he need to do in your opinion?

I dont think he's even a top-20 QB in the league, and he'll never win anything. But I think on a personal level, he's "made it". Far better than most of us at least.

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Not gonna make it"?!?!?

Dude won the Heisman in college, was drafted #2 overall, is on his 8th season in the NFL, and has career earnings over $64M so far.

What more does he need to do in your opinion?

I dont think he's even a top-20 QB in the league, and he'll never win anything. But I think on a personal level, he's "made it". Far better than most of us at least.

I am clearly talking about being a true #1 QB that can find success at the NFL level 

The guy plays, acts, and talks so timidly 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm late to this - started watching this weekend and am 3 episodes in.

My observations so far:

• I like they have 3 different levels of QB being featured. You get to see it from all perspectives.
  • I'm mad at Neflix for making me like Kirk Cousins. I'm still not a huge fan, but he comes across pretty well in this. He owns his dorkiness and I can respect that. I also like his hidden memorabilia room so he can keep collecting his stuff but not make it look corny.
  • Speaking of Cousins, episode 3 focusing on how injured his ribs were and how much he was struggling in the game against the Bills only further serves to show how much Frazier needed to go. The guy is struggling just to talk to people, and we can't get hits on him.

All in all tho, I'm really enjoying the show. And it's been nice to finally start feeling like the same fan I was in the 80s/90s, where I could watch stuff about other players and teams without being so bitter. For me, that is due to having a top QB and a top team again. I can watch this stuff and just enjoy it as a fan of the game knowing our guys are featured with respect, and we'll have another shot this year.

I dont mind Mahomes off the field. I think he is becoming my new Dan Marino. Respected him, was fine with him off field as a real person, hated him while we were playing him and loved to beat him.

Mahomes seems like a good dude and pretty humble given his upbringing and rocket to stardom.

?? - The Bills sacked Cousins four times and had 10 total hits on the QB!

• Agree 1

On 7/20/2023 at 12:20 PM, Lost said:

I think that's right. The common theme was how their family lives were completely integrated into their professional/football lives.

47 minutes ago, arcane said:

The guy plays, acts, and talks so timidly

But Mahomes and Cousins are pretty unassuming guys off the field too.

I thought Mariota was going to be the real deal. Maybe the difference is Mahomes (and to a lesser extent Cousins) become different guys when they are on the field on game day.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

?? - The Bills sacked Cousins four times and had 10 total hits on the QB!

It wasnt enough! Yeah, I did see we got to him a bunch, but nothing good enough to really knock him out. I think Von got him in the ribs good one time. I guess credit him for being one tough SOB. And maybe I should be putting more blame on our backup DBs absolutely botching a few key plays.

That replay of Cam Lewis HELPING JJ catch that 4th and 18 ball... 🤮

I dunno, just seemed like we had a perfect setup, but let them hang around instead of really knocking them out.

I think I'll check it out eventually but I dunno if they could've picked three less appealing QBs, at least IMO. Mahomes has the media hangin' off his danglebag all season since 2018. It gets old hearing about the guy nonstop. Mariota seems like a nice dude but I almost forgot he's still in the league.

Lastly there's Kirk... stinky, doofus-faced, rat-nosed, total weenie Kurt. I've kinda always caught jerkface vibes from that dude. He seems like a nice guy on the surface but make no mistake, this man is making lampshades out of human skin in his storage shed in his downtime. There's just something about him. That and I once saw him scream at and the shove a volunteer referee for a charity flag football game Kurk was playing in. Have I let that one incident shape my entire opinion of Kurd? I sure have. But also....he's just a weenie. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Watched Ep 4 last night. Focused on family. As a girl-dad it just made me like all these guys more, especially Mahomes. Also pretty cool with the deep dive they did into playcalls and all the studying and work these guys have to put in just to be able to repeat the words they heard in their headset. Love this behind the scenes stuff!

22 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Lastly there's Kirk... stinky, doofus-faced, rat-nosed, total weenie Kurt. I've kinda always caught jerkface vibes from that dude. He seems like a nice guy on the surface but make no mistake, this man is making lampshades out of human skin in his storage shed in his downtime. There's just something about him. That and I once saw him scream at and the shove a volunteer referee for a charity flag football game Kurk was playing in. Have I let that one incident shape my entire opinion of Kurd? I sure have. But also....he's just a weenie. 

This is EXACTLY how I felt about Cousins... until I watched this series. He's still a dork, but he seems much more genuine and down to earth after watching this. One thing is for sure, he is one tough SOB. Just sayin.

The dynamic shown between Cousins and new coach O'Connell is super interesting. It seems most times O'Connell is barely tolerating Cousins, and usually Cousins in butting heads with O'Connell.

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

******Rumor*****

Interesting!

My predicition for Season 2 was Josh, McCorkle, and Rodgers.

I think Josh is a shoe-in. But I'm SHOCKED Rodgers would actually give anyone as much access as Netflix has in this series. We'll see...

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Watched Ep 4 last night. Focused on family. As a girl-dad it just made me like all these guys more, especially Mahomes. Also pretty cool with the deep dive they did into playcalls and all the studying and work these guys have to put in just to be able to repeat the words they heard in their headset. Love this behind the scenes stuff!

This is EXACTLY how I felt about Cousins... until I watched this series. He's still a dork, but he seems much more genuine and down to earth after watching this. One thing is for sure, he is one tough SOB. Just sayin.

The dynamic shown between Cousins and new coach O'Connell is super interesting. It seems most times O'Connell is barely tolerating Cousins, and usually Cousins in butting heads with O'Connell.

Interesting!

My predicition for Season 2 was Josh, McCorkle, and Rodgers.

I think Josh is a shoe-in. But I'm SHOCKED Rodgers would actually give anyone as much access as Netflix has in this series. We'll see...

I’d love to see those 3!

But I’ve read that Manning apparently did not say those 3 other than they are trying to get a season 2. 

Seems the op if the linked article is spitballing those 3 names 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

cousins… man… you can see there are glimpses of a human somewhere in there.

he’s like if you typed “suburban religious football man” into an AI app

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

cousins… man… you can see there are glimpses of a human somewhere in there.

he’s like if you typed “suburban religious football man” into an AI app

Haha, and from what I've seen, he would chuckle and absolutely agree with that assessment. I can't hate on anyone who is at least that self-aware of his dorkiness and leans into it.

I absolutely appreciate how little he has talked about "faith" in this show. Maybe that is a Netflix decision, but it definitely helps him come across as more normal. Unlike all the weird stuff we saw out of Carson Wentz in Hard Knocks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DJB said:

******Rumor*****

So in next year's installment Rodgers will be filling the role of once-great old vet QB hanging on too long and going down in flames?  :pirate:

• Haha (+1) 1

Finished the season last night. All in all, great show. Loved the deep behind the scenes looks and access the players gave this show. Loved that, thanks to having Josh, I'm able to get back to being a fan of football again and not so bitter as I was through the drought.

That all said, it was also a bit discouraging to see the level that the Chiefs operate at. With Reid as their HC, and offensive mastermind, it's obvious they are a step above everyone else. Even us and Cinci, who can play them hard and beat them. It's still the Chiefs' conference for the forseeable future. Doesnt mean we wont get our shot, but it means we need to be PERFECT to pull it off. And I'm not sure our coaches can get us there. We'll see. I'm not trying to be a chicken little, it was just a bit of an eye opener. Some jealousy mixed in there as well.

One last observation, speaking of the Chiefs. So many coaches got so much facetime on this show. We saw a bunch of Reid and Matt Nagy in-game comments on the sideline, a ton from the Trainers as well. But through all 8 episodes almost NOTHING from Eric Bieniemy. It wasnt until Episode 8 that he got a couple of appearances, and even those were light/weak. I dont know what that means exactly, but it was noticeable. Nagy seemed much more like the OC than Bieniemy.

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 10:58 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

Do we want JA17 watching this or not?? Part of me says yes, learned more about your enemy (without being in complete awe of him). Or, screw it, do your own thing.. you’re a creative genius and you’ll chart your own course. 

I’m not sure…???

Josh is struggling with the decision at this very moment. With his stature it's his call to make... the ball is in his court.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:27 AM, JerseyBills said:

Thanks!!. I saw a commercial last week and totally forgot when it airs 

About to watch now , I have dayboff

A dayboff???

Is that like an afternoon delight? What are we talking about here?

On 7/18/2023 at 6:52 PM, Beach said:

do they go to every game and make tik tok dances?

On 7/18/2023 at 7:38 PM, Billl said:

Why would I know the answer to that?

Just answer the question...

On 7/25/2023 at 10:03 AM, DJB said:

******Rumor*****

From PFT: "At a time when plenty of quarterbacks have said they’re not interested in becoming one of the focal points of the Quarterback series on Netflix, Bills quarterback Josh Allen hasn’t said, “No.”

He also hasn’t said, “Yes.”

“I don’t want any outside distractions,” Allen said. “I don’t want any unnecessary distractions for myself or this team. I’m not saying that it would be. I’m a little undecided on whether I would want to do it or not. I go back and forth sometimes in my mind, but as of right now I’m just trying to be the best quarterback for this team.”

This would be a great year for Allen to do it, from a viewer’s perspective. But the Bills have enough pressure already, enough things that could potentially go haywire."

I'm sure Josh has had more than one conversation with Mahomes about this decision.

On 7/13/2023 at 6:51 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Josh will put it on for "Netflix and chill" time. The horn ball.🤣🤣

On 7/14/2023 at 3:18 AM, JerseyBills said:

I heard his actress gf is teaching him how to act. Apparently they even filmed some scenes already 🤣

I'm getting major deja vu... 

https://deadspin.com/heres-patriots-owner-bob-kraft-helping-his-girlfriend-w-5925018

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.