Interesting stats with Mahomes KC Air yards going down but they keep winning games.

PrimeTime101

19 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

For the Chiefs it’s all about play design and taking what the defense gives them. Mahomes ability to evade the pass rush inside the pocket adds another element. Eventually guys tire out and he picks up major yards on scrambles, it’s very unusual to see Mahomes rip off a 20 yard run in the 1st quarter. 

They scout defenses really well so they know how to scheme kelce open, while also making a team basically decide to leave him open for 3-5 yards plus YAC or leave someone else wide open.  Good offensive line really helps their RPO game more than a big money WR since you are scheming an extra blocker for your run game, and WRs are running shorter routes anyway.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

You can spin your narrative any way you like.  Every NFL QB has to be able to throw the ball down the field into tight windows with anticipation.  The great ones just do it better then the rest.  Does that mean they won lots of Super Bowls?  Not necessarily.  Football is a team game.  You need a very good team around you to win Super Bowls.  Look at Eli Manning.  An above average QB at best, who won two Super Bowls.  

And John Elway NEVER was a dink and dunk check down QB.  He won two Super Bowls because he had an amazing O line with an elite RB in Terrell Davis at the end of his career.

You had better go watch film of Peyton Manning my friend.  He was always throwing down the field to Marvin Harrison Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark.    

This post didn't age well after a week.

4 hours ago, nucci said:

A lot of useless stats are measured .So an end of the half hail mary type pass goes 60 yds and incomplete and player get credited for 60 air yards.  How is that relevant to anything?

If isolating one play situation was enough to discredit every stat we would have no stats. Exceptionally horrible way to discredit something 

4 hours ago, nucci said:

A lot of useless stats are measured .So an end of the half hail mary type pass goes 60 yds and incomplete and player get credited for 60 air yards.  How is that relevant to anything?

In such case it is actually a “ throw” not so much a “pass” in which a pass indicates that someone caught the ball, just sayin…, 

We all saw this with our own eyes, but the actual stats make it even more startling. 

Obviously Mahomes can hit the three ball, but teams give him lay-ups, and not only does he take them, but between Reid's scheme and Kelce's RAC.. those lay-ups typically become And1's.  

That Offense is THE most frustrating thing in football to watch when in contrast with our hyper-reliance on Josh Allen's mobility and arm ability. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think a lot of posts in this thread are missing what the initial stat is saying. It's just about his TD passes. 4.5 yards on average per TD pass is indeed very low. That isn't really saying anything about Mahomes though, it's more a function of how good Andy Reid is at designing pass plays inside the 5 yard line. All those 2 yard shovel passes to Kelce at the goal line really bring the average down.

In terms of average air yards per attempt for all passes, 2021 and 2022 Mahomes were nearly identical at 7.3 and 7.2 respectively.

Yes. Good post.

35 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

If isolating one play situation was enough to discredit every stat we would have no stats. Exceptionally horrible way to discredit something 

That was just one example. Every incomplete pass gets credit for air yards. What's the point of that stat? Exceptionally horrible way to interpret my post

3 hours ago, sunshynman said:

It was the elbow injury. It hurt more and he was less accurate on short throws with the injury. Therefore, he wanted to throw the long ball. We couldn't stick to an effective running game (I blame Dorsey for that), to help alleviate the issue. And Josh had no time to sit back and wait for an open WR. It seemed like nearly every play someone was coming full speed at Josh off the snap.

Good point. I read that Josh said the injury affected his ability to throw short passes but not his ability to throw deep.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sunshynman said:

It was the elbow injury. It hurt more and he was less accurate on short throws with the injury. Therefore, he wanted to throw the long ball. We couldn't stick to an effective running game (I blame Dorsey for that), to help alleviate the issue. And Josh had no time to sit back and wait for an open WR. It seemed like nearly every play someone was coming full speed at Josh off the snap.

How can you blame Dorsey for not having an effective running game lol

we haven't had an effective running game in 4 years

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

😂😂

He averaged 4.5 yds on td passes, not overall, guys. There is no checking down on a 4.5 yd td. pass. Josh Isn’t going deep and avoiding check down passes when he’s that close to the end zone. Thank you Happy Days for trying to explain this to a lot of posters here. Geez. 

YAC on a 4.5 yd pass to the end zone!?!

😂😂

That’s air yards, not total yards.  A 45 yard TD on a screen pass may have -2 air yards.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:51 AM, PrimeTime101 said:

It would be interesting to see what the Avg was for some of the great QB's of past eras.

One reason QB's throw so many more TD's now than in the 70's or 80's is that teams always ran the ball inside the 10.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That team isn’t going anywhere…

Andy Reid is overrated as Coach - Mr Weo 2019

and mahomes is just at a different level. He had to take checkdowns because they have one legit threat on their offense. They had a bunch of number 2,3, & 4 receivers. What he did last year after trading Hill is one of the most impressive seasons in nfl history. It was stupid good. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think so

I think air yards measures distance a ball travels forward past los, can't be negative

Not sure if this site is reliable or not, but it was the first that came up and that’s about as deep as I cared to research it, but it said that they can be negative.

https://www.addmorefunds.com/articles/nfl/air-yards/

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

Not sure if this site is reliable or not, but it was the first that came up and that’s about as deep as I cared to research it, but it said that they can be negative.

https://www.addmorefunds.com/articles/nfl/air-yards/

I do wonder if they calculate it differently for FF

PFR defines it as 'air yards on all pass attempts' so I read that as ball has to go forward or else it's a run play

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nucci said:

That was just one example. Every incomplete pass gets credit for air yards. What's the point of that stat? Exceptionally horrible way to interpret my post

The point is it gives you a very clear indicator of what the offense is trying to do. A west coast offense won’t have many air yards, which impacts how you game plan against them. Buffalo has been very different and much worse when the air yards average is high (which shows Alan isn’t taking underneath throws)

Edited by Mikie2times

20 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

The point is it gives you a very clear indicator of what the offense is trying to do. A west coast offense won’t have many air yards, which impacts how you game plan against them. Buffalo has been very different and much worse when the air yards average is high (which shows Alan isn’t taking underneath throws)

What do you mean by much worse?

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Andy Reid is overrated as Coach - Mr Weo 2019

and mahomes is just at a different level. He had to take checkdowns because they have one legit threat on their offense. They had a bunch of number 2,3, & 4 receivers. What he did last year after trading Hill is one of the most impressive seasons in nfl history. It was stupid good. 

Look up, something just flew over your head....

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/5/2023 at 1:42 PM, GoBills808 said:

How can you blame Dorsey for not having an effective running game lol

we haven't had an effective running game in 4 years

Well, the running game is usually considered part of the offense, and being that Dorsey is the OC…, 😁👍

Granted, it’s been our O-lines inability to do their job in the run game, (or passing game for that matter)  and that is because it is a long standing Bills tradition of many decades to continuously ignore the concept of upgrading the O-line. Now maybe, just maybe our HC & GM have finally seen the light/got their respective heads out of their backsides concerning this aspect of the game…, we shall see…, 🤞

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/4/2023 at 3:22 PM, Buckets said:

Maybe they have a better OC.

They certainly have much better pass protection also which opens up a lot of the playbook 

8 hours ago, BillStime said:

Speaking of Mahomes...

And we match up better with the chiefs than the bengals imo lol. Turnin into a real rock paper scissors situation.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

On 7/5/2023 at 10:14 AM, sunshynman said:

That’s what it felt like to me…you get some inaccuracy protection by being able to overthrow receivers and the defense.  Those throwing windows on a lot of the underneath stuff look huge on the broadcast angle but they are often a lot tighter than they look. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.