How long does it take an NFL head coach to reach his 1st Super Bowl?

Einstein

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I wonder if the narrative changes if we lost to the Colts who completely outplayed us at home. They had over 450 total yards on offense and over 150 on the ground. More than 25 first downs and over 50% on third down. That would have been two years we got ousted in the first round.

Yes we were very lucky in that game. Mostly because Frank Reich is not a great head coach. His decision to go for 4th and goal cost them the game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I didn’t see Von’s ACL tear in any of that scientific mathy stuff presented earlier. There may be a problem with the formula. 

Yeah Muppy & Augie are right. The ability to enter the playoffs healthy and stay healthy throughout the playoff run is tantamount to winning it all. Probably more so than coaching arguments.  We had Von, Hyde, Poyer and Josh either out or playing hurt. 

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It is actually a very difficult calculation. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to calculate it

In real research, the researcher is a subject-matter expert (SME). You've alluded to your impressive resume without providing specifics, so let me ask, are any of your credentials or experience related to professional football?

Also in real research, when someone develops a measurement tool - a survey, a formula, a method - that tool needs to be checked for validity by a panel of subject-matter experts. Basically, the validity check ensures that you are measuring what you say you're measuring. Have any SMEs performed validity checks on your equations?

You're tossing around a lot of stats, and maybe that's where your expertise is, but stats without context are meaningless - as such, they can be twisted and interpreted however one wants. The SME adds context to the stats, both in terms of determining how the stats are calculated and interpreting the results.

I have a friend who's a math professor. He's really good at Calculus and could undoubtedly solve a differential equation describing an electrical circuit like a PID control system. He can figure out proportions, integrals, and derivatives, but the control system needs coefficients for each of those quantities - with the P, I, and D variables being weighted according to how much influence they should have on the system. Some applications are heavier on the P; others emphasize the I or the D - it all depends on the context. Since he's not an expert in control systems, he couldn't design the circuit or even be certain that the equation he's solving correctly represents the circuit in question - for that, he'd need a SME.

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

In real research, the researcher is a subject-matter expert (SME). You've alluded to your impressive resume without providing specifics, so let me ask, are any of your credentials or experience related to professional football?

Also in real research, when someone develops a measurement tool - a survey, a formula, a method - that tool needs to be checked for validity by a panel of subject-matter experts. Basically, the validity check ensures that you are measuring what you say you're measuring. Have any SMEs performed validity checks on your equations?

You're tossing around a lot of stats, and maybe that's where your expertise is, but stats without context are meaningless - as such, they can be twisted and interpreted however one wants. The SME adds context to the stats, both in terms of determining how the stats are calculated and interpreting the results.

I have a friend who's a math professor. He's really good at Calculus and could undoubtedly solve a differential equation describing an electrical circuit like a PID control system. He can figure out proportions, integrals, and derivatives, but the control system needs coefficients for each of those quantities - with the P, I, and D variables being weighted according to how much influence they should have on the system. Some applications are heavier on the P; others emphasize the I or the D - it all depends on the context. Since he's not an expert in control systems, he couldn't design the circuit or even be certain that the equation he's solving correctly represents the circuit in question - for that, he'd need a SME.

This is a thread on a football forum. Attempting to discredit it because it’s not relevant for a dissertation is just silly. But sure, feel free to send my equations to your math professor friend and ask him if i’m wrong.

As for developing a measurement tool and assuring its validity - what you’re describing is the peer-review process.  To say that some difficult calculus needs SME’s to peer review the work is literally laughable lol. I wonder how anyone makes it out of college math nowadays.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

This is a thread on a football forum. Attempting to discredit it because it’s not relevant for a dissertation is just silly.

Feel free to send my formulas to your math professor friend and ask him if i’m wrong.

1. You're treating it like science to make it look valid, so I'm pointing out that it's not at all scientific. Suggesting that it doesn't need to be scientific because this isn't a dissertation is, if you'll excuse the pun, moving the goalposts.

2. He's not a football expert either. Again, he could check the calculations, but not the validity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, WhoTom said:

1. You're treating it like science

Calculus and maths are me treating it like science? Oofta.

Just now, WhoTom said:

He's not a football expert either. Again, he could check the calculations, but not the validity.

This is college-level calculus. Not calculating the wave length of light passing into a black hole. 

You don’t like the results and you are attempting to discredit them by acting as if (mostly) basic math needs to be peer reviewed. It’s hilariously stupid.

What has the world come to. We are so stupid that we think the presence of maths needs SME validation. 

I have applied common, age-old formulas and rules to a data set.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did you watch the game? Hopkins cooked White and the defense couldn’t tackle.

Out of deference to you I watched the end of the game now.  What I see is Carlos Hyde (aka not Derrick Henry) having some huge runs, Watson one big designed run for 20 and a TD, followed by a rollout right for a 2 PC, White playing Hopkins tight with no YAC.  That was their first scoring drive. 

Then I see Stills making a big 20-yard catch setting up a FG with decent coverage by Kevin Johnson who slipped at the end.  

On the next play I wouldn't say that Hopkins "smoked" White, he did beat him in coverage tho.  That only put the ball at our 28 however.  After that I see Darren Fells catch a huge 14-yard pass on 3rd-and-3 from our 15 over Milano that set up their TD.  You know, Darren Fells, Undrafted, UC Irvine, 5 teams in 8 seasons, averaged 16 catches for fewer than 200 yards/season.  Then a ridiculous defensive play with confusion all over the field leading to a wide-open Hyde on a screen pass for the TD.  

19-16 with 19 points scored within 12 minutes.  

I also couldn't help but notice that after Houston's first TD, now up 16-8, we didn't run the ball once despite Singletary having averaged 4.5 YPC up to that point.  Conventional wisdom, aka not requiring an "expert" world-class coaching mind or anything even close, suggests perhaps run the ball a bit to take the clock down and prevent the D from focusing too much on pass-rush, but we do the opposite with 5 straight passing plays resulting in a fumble on a 3rd-and-8 taking only 1:33 off the clock.  That was at midfield.  

So spin it as you wish, there's plenty in there to complain about the coaching on.  It was hardly one or two plays, the Texans put togther three scoring drives for 177 yards and 19 points, of which Hopkins was not responsible for 20 plays and 111 Yards of.  Either way, if we're going to vindicate McD from any blame for that, then it's also fair to exempt him from any credit for Allen/Davis going off vs. KC and Allen going off altogether in the '21 playoffs.  At least be consistent.  

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen and the offense could’ve been better.

No doubt, but the offense that season averaged 19.6 points and Allen & Co. hit that number, albeit against a 19th ranked scoring D which had allowed an average of 24.2 PPG that season.  

The bigger crime, as has been the pattern in the playoffs throughout McD's tenure, was our #2 ranked D which had allowed an average of 16.2 PPG and which had allowed more than 17 points only 6 times, three times to teams ranked 1st, 7th, and 12th offensively (Balt, NE, Philly), allowed 19 points within less than a quarter, and to a team ranked 14th in offense and possessive of only one premier offesive player, Hopkins.  Watson was good but far from great, ranking 13th in Passing Yards and 11th in Passing TDs that season.  The better teams step up, not down, in the playoffs.  

@Einstein assuming all of your calculations are indeed accurate and there's less than a 1% chance the Bills  win it all with him at the helm,  who would you have the Bills replace McDermott with? 

Does this new coach have a statistically significant , >1% chance of winning the superbowl?  Would you be able to provide a historical analyais for your candidate elaborating on what makes him have greater odds than McDermott? 

I'm genuinely curious since you've clearly dedicated a substantial amount of time to the subject matter and the data you present isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the extention the Bills just doled out. 

In my opinion, going through all of the effort that you have to discredit the Bills HC is an exercise in futility without providing alternatives to the current state of the Bills organization.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tre White got cooked by Hopkins. Milano couldn’t finish a great blitz call in OT, Watson broke loose. Bills lost on that play. 

The White play was one play that set the Texans up at our 28.  Let's not turn it into a TD play.  

As to what happened in OT, it never should have gone to OT, just like the '21 KC game, proper coaching would have prevented it, in both instances.  Such as I mentioned above with running more.  

McD seems to have a knack for keeping our opponents in games during the playoffs.  

Edited by PBF81

45 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

1. You're treating it like science to make it look valid, so I'm pointing out that it's not at all scientific. Suggesting that it doesn't need to be scientific because this isn't a dissertation is, if you'll excuse the pun, moving the goalposts.

2. He's not a football expert either. Again, he could check the calculations, but not the validity.

Half the metrics that get thrown around in football are proprietary. Your standard is unrealistic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Hermes said:

@Einstein assuming all of your calculations are indeed accurate and there's less than a 1% chance the Bills  win it all with him at the helm,  who would you have the Bills replace McDermott with? 

My desire (with no calculation provided just gut feeling) is Lou Anorumo.

1) I believe it helps the Bills. Anorumo has stopped the Chiefs offense twice in the playoffs. Something we have never done.

2) It hurts the Chiefs.

3) It hurts the Bengals (they lose their best coordinator).

It is a win/win/win.

Ps, I believe the percentage to be higher than 1% once the replacements get added back in and you look at it on a year by year basis.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Half the metrics that get thrown around in football are proprietary. Your standard is unrealistic

Sometimes you just have to laugh at a post. That was one of them. He wants basic calculus to be peer reviewed because he doesn’t like the results 😂

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

My desire (with no calculation provided just gut feeling) is Lou Anorumo.

1) I believe it helps the Bills. Anorumo has stopped the Chiefs offense twice in the playoffs. Something we have never done.

2) It hurts the Chiefs.

3) It hurts the Bengals (they lose their best coordinator).

It is a win/win/win.

Ps, I believe the percentage to be higher than 1% once the replacements get added back in and you look at it on a year by year basis.

If his defense performs better than McDermott's this year, particularly in the playoffs, then I can see you point about it helping the Bills. Not to say anything about the leadership qualities or intangibles of either man.

How much it does it really hurt the Chiefs though? Giving up 24 points isn't great (better than the Bills D did in the 13 seconds game, and the Chiefs ppg ave of 28.2 that year) and considering Mahomes was playing on a bum ankle and still drove down to win the game against them last year I wouldn't necessarily say they were stopping them.  Add in the fact that he is a coordinator for a team that isn't named the Chiefs, I just can't see how it hurts them. If anything wouldn't it make the Bengals easier for the Chiefs to beat because therefore helping them instead?  

It's interesting that your choice would be a DC when the current NFL trend is to hire the hot OC's for head coach.  The last 4 superbowls featured exclusively former OC's and the last former DC to win is Belichek (with Brady)

I don't claim to know much, especially regarding NFL/college coaches, but it makes sense to me that an up and coming OC would be a better choice.  

I don't think the best team - or the best HC - necessarily win the Super Bowl, especially in the era of the salary cap.  Each year, there is a group of roughly equally talented teams capable of making a run at the start of the playoffs.  Winning each week is a factor of coaching, roster strength, weather, injury, the bounce of the ball, refereeing, and other factors.  Some of these factors are outside the team's control.  Maybe your QB finds his gf in bed with another guy the night before a big game and it screws with his head.  Or has some other mental health issue.  Maybe your star receiver's dad dies.  Or your stud DE catches the flu.  Or your shutdown corner sprains his ankle while walking down the stairs at home.  As Forest Gump says, "Sh*t happens."  

The best coaches tilt the odds in their team's favor with good preparation, game-planning, play-calling, etc.  The best GMs give their coaches a roster that has a legitimate shot.  But you can only slant the odds.  No coach is so much better than his peers that he can guarantee victory.  And no roster is so good that it's invincible.  

With 32 teams in the NFL, the average team has a roughly 3% chance of winning the Super Bowl in any given year.  A good GM/HC combo might increase your odds to maybe 10 or 15%.  If you have a good combo, you keep it together until it finally delivers.   Maybe it happens in their first year together.  Maybe in their tenth.  Some of it is simply dumb luck.  

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sometimes you just have to laugh at a post. That was one of them. He wants basic calculus to be peer reviewed because he doesn’t like the results 😂

It has nothing to do with whether I like the results; I simply questioned their validity. Tossing equations around may give the impression of credibility to those unfamiliar with research, but unless the underlying assumptions have been validated, then they're nothing more than wild-ass guesses. I could write a bunch of equations to solve the same problem and they'd be no more or less valid than yours because neither of us are football professionals.

I get it - this is a message board, not an academic journal. So stop pretending that your assumption is valid simply because it has a bunch of equations attached to it. You've stated your opinion that McD won't bring us a Lombardi. Your opinion may be correct, but unvalidated equations don't make it so.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

because neither of us are football professionals.

NFL teams hire mathematicians and data analysts to run their analysis and statistics. Football professionals (like coaches, GM’s, scouts) know jack squat about data analytics.

The Bills data analyst for example, Malcolm Charles, came straight to the team out of college (Clemson and Marquette). 

Evan Weiss, the teams football analyst, came from PFF (who also has no peer reviewed equations) and before working at PFF was a marketing intern.

You seem to have this idea that NFL teams employ “football experts” for data analytics but in reality they are just mathematically inclined data engineers, sometimes straight out of college, that know about as much about football as the people on this forum.

Great data analysts can seamlessly move between sectors - from technology, to oil, to manufacturing - because, it doesn’t matter! They don’t need to be an expert to interpret data.

29 minutes ago, Hermes said:

How much it does it really hurt the Chiefs though? Giving up 24 points isn't great (better than the Bills D did in the 13 seconds game, and the Chiefs ppg ave of 28.2 that year) and considering Mahomes was playing on a bum ankle and still drove down to win the game against them last year I wouldn't necessarily say they were stopping them. 

Mahomes vs playoff teams without Anuromo: 33.1ppg

Mahomes vs playoff teams WITH Anuromo: 23.5ppg 

That is a MASSIVE difference.

Visit the Chiefs forum and you will see a fan base that shudders at the mention of Anuromo’s name. They fear him like we feared Belichick for 2 decades.

On 6/24/2023 at 4:21 PM, Einstein said:

The tenure of Sean McDermott as head coach and the appropriate "leash" to allow him to lead this team to the Super Bowl has been a topic of considerable debate on this forum. While there's a consensus that he deserves additional time, the crux of the argument lies in determining the precise length of this leash.

To shed light on this, I conducted a simple data study, examining the trajectory of every NFL head coach who has led their team to the Super Bowl (not necessarily winning, just reaching the final game) over the past 40 NFL seasons.

Here is what the data revealed:

• On average, it takes a head coach 4.2 seasons to reach his first Super Bowl.

• Only 5 coaches in the past 40 years have made their inaugural Super Bowl appearance after 7 seasons of head coaching. This is particularly relevant as Sean McDermott is about to enter his seventh season as head coach

• The most frequent timeline for a coach's first Super Bowl appearance is two years, closely followed by five years. This trend suggests that many coaches are capable of assembling a Super Bowl-worthy team within the first 5 years of their tenure (77% of these coaches managed to make the Super Bowl within their first 5 seasons)

NOTE: The data is across the coaches entire NFL career. For example, if a coach spent 5 years on his first team, and 4 years on his second team (before making a Super Bowl) the data tallies 9 total seasons prior to his inaugural Super Bowl appearance.

NOTE 2: The Sean McDermott line is where McDermott will be after this upcoming season.

fixed.jpg

the chart cuts off some of the names because the list is so long, but the data is there.

How hard is it to move a goalpost?  

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

In real research, the researcher is a subject-matter expert (SME).

Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place!

On 6/24/2023 at 4:39 PM, machine gun kelly said:

McD has a .639% winning % as a Bills HC.  That’s #1 in Bills history eclipsing Saban and Levy.

Cut the McD passive aggressive crap Einstein.  It’s as transparent as the rest of you’re posts.

All you ever do is try and poke holes in anything that instills confidence in this fan base towards the team they love.

I’ll enjoy and remind you when we win the Lombardi.  It will happen one day and the Pegulas made a regal decision extending the dream team.

Well deserved!

Or do you want to go back to the drought for 17 years as I know those years painfully well.  We were a hot mess with poor decisions at all levels for decades.  It is the same second guessing decisions and quick ridiculous decisions that were short sighted that kept us in the Mohave Desert.

I never want to back to that HELL!

When someone has an ego and really thinks they’re smarter than anyone else here, they will try really weird things to be “right “. Einstein went from having to win it all, quickly, to just making it to the SB, quickly. I guess he’s trying to live up to his screen name. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Visit the Chiefs forum and you will see a fan base that shudders at the mention of Anuromo’s name. They fear him like we feared Belichick for 2 decades.

He is your favorite but can't even get his name right? His name is Lou Anarumo. And was there not just another long thread that we should not again hire a defensive guy as HC?

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Einstein went from having to win it all, quickly, to just making it to the SB, quickly. 

It’s really not a hard concept. Reid got more of a leash because he got much closer to the ultimate goal, numerous times, than other coaches have. Very simple.

I can only give you the information. I can not make you understand it.

Einstein its time to let it go. 

McD and Beane are here for at least two more years no matter what happens this year.

McD is our coach and all we can do now is hope he gets it done o at least doesn't stop Allen from winning it all.

You need to move on and assess decisions in the future during this upcoming season and next offseason. 

If the Bills fall short of the SuperBowl again in 2023 there will be plenty of time to debate why. 

Now is the time to get behind the players and coaches and cheer. 

We can assess in game decisions, play calls, and performance during the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

It’s really not a hard concept. Reid got more of a leash because he got much closer to the ultimate goal, numerous times, than other coaches have. Very simple.

You created a whole new thread to change your narrative about winning it all and quickly to just getting there. And you spent 2 hrs to do it. 😂

I understand it. You’re the one who left the hill you were willing to die on. That screen name is more of a joke the more you post and I actually love it. 

Right, it is a massive difference.

On an incredibly limited sample size of 2(!) games, one of which Mahomes was severely impacted by an ankle injury. If you're looking to say that your analysis on coaches winning a superbowl is accurate because of your robust historical dataset, then what does that say about this the situation we have here.

I'm not even going to entertain the thought of going on the Chiefs board for countless reasons, but in this instance, fan sentiment means absolutely nothing. To say that this 2 game sample size is comparable to the 40 games played between the Bills and Belichek is laughable.

Again, we'll have to see how both defenses play throughout the season and postseason to determine if he would even be an upgrade defensively like you've mentioned. This will be McDermott's first season calling plays so any comparison to previous seasons would be against Frazier. 

22 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since Einstein has determined the 4.2 year threshold to make a Super Bowl, now we know why the Bills have only played in 4 Super Bowls. The Bills just didn't give their coaches enough time.  The Bills have had 16 head coaches not counting interim coaches during the Super Boel era.  Only Saban, Knox, Levy and McDermott lasted at least 4.2 seasons.  Imagine if we had just let those other 12 guys coach long enough to make a Super Bowl.  They just left too soon.  How can we have expected more Super Bowls when 75% of the coaches weren't allowed to coach long enough to get there?  

Considering how often coaching turnover happens in the NFL, the 4.2 years to make a Super Bowl in the OP is total nonsense.  It's taking data that is beyond meaningless & spitting out a conclusion.  

I'd like to know how many HCs have made the playoffs 5 of their 1st 6 seasons.  I bet the list is pretty small.  How about a list of how long it took a coach to make the playoffs 5 times.  If you take every head coach in the Super Bowl era, I bet the % is very small since the majority don't even last 5 seasons.  

Einstein will get on it. You’ll have an answer soon. 

1 hour ago, Hermes said:

Right, it is a massive difference.

On an incredibly limited sample size of 2(!) games,

Thus why I said (in my first response to you) that my opinion on Anarumo is not based on statistics, but my gut feeling watching him.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

You created a whole new thread to change your narrative about winning it all

No, this did not happen. I can only give you the information. I can not make you understand it.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

it appears no one here can make you understand it either. 

your opinion of mcdermott is fine. when it comes to statistics though, you really should stop, you are embarrassing yourself.

the cringe here is retatta level.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

McD hasn't been great in any of our playoff games except arguably vs. the Pats in '21 and the Ravens, but only defensively, the year prior.  

For example, how does one explain us giving up 19 points and nearly 200 yards in just over a quarter to allow Houston to tie us and then beat us in OT?  

Or how we couldn't generate more than 3 points in our 2017 playoff loss to Marrone/Bortles, and in our worst offensive performance of the season?  

Does coaching bear on that?  Some would say no, at least not significantly much less primarily, but I don't see how it doesn't.  

Thoughts?  

Coaching absolutely has an impact on those situations. Especially since they were playoff games. To me McDermott coaches too tight in the playoffs. Especially in crunch time and trying to close out games. He coaches not to lose so to speak. This has to permeate to the players. So they play tight trying to not make mistakes which inevitably will lead to mistakes. Since he’ll be the head coach for the foreseeable future I can only hope that he learns from past failures to succeed going forward.

Obviously players also have tremendous impact on outcome of games. Especially the QB. As Allen matures he’ll have a reservoir past experiences to draw from that will help him. Tough situations that he could hopefully overcome where his previous versions couldn’t. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

As Allen matures

Allen is mid-career.  He has put up record numbers in many regards.  His PRODUCTION has been top 3 for a couple of years.  The maturation has happened.  Bills fans should hope for an be happy if he maintains the current level of production.  Many many championships have been won with QBs producing far below Allen's level.  The burden is squarely on the coaches to figure out how to close the deal.  If the teams championship hopes are limited to Allen being more productive, then our chances are slim and none. 

Thus why I said (in my first response to you) that my opinion on Anarumo is not based on statistics, but my gut feeling watching him.

Fair enough. I'll have to pay more attention to the Bengals this year (gross) to see if he's worth the hype. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.