Bills promote Eric Washington to assistant head coach

elroy16

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Odd move. Usually this is done to protect them from leaving for a coordinator job somewhere else. I beleive the assistant HC title means Bills can block interviews for DC. He doesn't seem like a guy that would be on anyone's list for a DC job but who knows. 

I don't think that's right.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Basically if McD is unable to coach a game - Wash takes the headset as the HC for the game.  

this

maybe McD has some lingering health problem and this is a just-in-case move.

Maybe he learned during covid to always carry a spare

And its probably best for chain-of-command for there to be no in-fighting among players or other coaches, if and when its necesary to pull over and put the donut on.

---

because its less likely that they needed to do this to keep him from bolting to another team.  seems like the season for hiring assistant coaches has passed.   Not that i've studied it or anything

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Second in the NFL last year giving up 17.9 points/game despite being decimated by injuries (including in the playoffs). But you feel free to be you. 

Funny. They fired the defensive coordinator responsible for that unit.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Funny. They fired the defensive coordinator responsible for that unit.

You know that not to be true or accurate. 

It’s obviously more complicated than that. But I thought you would appreciate the Super Bowl or Bust mentality. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buckets said:

I don't get it, we went to the super bowl 4 times under Marve Leavy but I can't remember anyone calling for him to be fired or run out of town.

Marv should be glad his time was before the internet made so many people lose their minds. Lots of message board tough guys who don’t know as much as they think they know.  There are things we need to do better, but this tear it down and start over stuff is crazy right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, MWK said:

Should be fired instead for the consistent underperformance and lack of development. This promotion just goes to show you what being friends with McDermott can do for you.

Dorsey (top Offensive guy):  Coached with McD in Carolina 

Washington (top Defensive guy after McD):  Coached under McD in Carolina 

Al Holcomb (Senior D Asst.):  Coached under McD in Carolina 

Mike Shula (Senior O Asst.):  Coached with McD in Carolina 

All the top coaches.  What are the odds that those were all the best choices to get their respective jobs done, particularly collectively.  LOL  

Strangely, our playoff results aren't much different.  Imagine that.  

No nepotism or anything going on here.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Second in the NFL last year giving up 17.9 points/game despite being decimated by injuries (including in the playoffs).   

What's interesting is that it went from 17.4 before Miller's injury, to 17.4 after Miller's injury, discounting the Detroit game.  

Strangely, that increased by 11 points in the playoffs while allowing 31 to a team that started a QB that will be incredibly lucky to ever start another NFL game.  

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Promoting a guy who's in charge of the unit with maybe the worst ROI in the entire league. Despite 4 top 60 picks, including a top 10, numerous high end FA signings, and a league high expenditure, DL continues to be a weakness of this team that needs constant addressing.

Washington should have been fired a long time ago. Working for McDermott seems like a pretty sweet gig. Once you're in, you're in - Except for that safeties coach I guess.

Come on, you're not playing this properly.  Clearly he was the best option out there.  McD's an expert, we're not, and we can't understand things like what you just said.  McD knows.  

At the end of the season if it doesn't work out, we'll find someone else that's clearly the best choice.  Who else haven't we plugged-n-played that coached with McD in Carolina?  Whomever that is, he's next in line as the best option.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.