Submarine meant to view Titanic wreck loses contact at bottom of sea

Nextmanup

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Great tweet.  

I kind of disagree with some of the points though.  

It's much different than climbing everest. People don't pay attention to everest deaths because it's a steady flow of people and there is an average of like 5 deaths a year.

This story isn't captivating just because the Titanic wreck, although it being the backdrop helps a bit.  It's captivating because the idea of 5 people living in freezing cold in their own excrement, running out of breathable air inside a small iron lung with a lot of curious design "features"... is all horrifying.  It also lends to interesting discussion.  

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It's much different than climbing everest. People don't pay attention to everest deaths because it's a steady flow of people and there is an average of like 5 deaths a year.

This story isn't captivating just because the Titanic wreck, although it being the backdrop helps a bit.  It's captivating because the idea of 5 people living in freezing cold in their own excrement, running out of breathable air inside a small iron lung with a lot of curious design "features"... is all horrifying.  It also lends to interesting discussion.  

Oh, the potential for unimaginable terror is definitely the main driver in this discourse .. but I do believe those willing to take risks and explore deserve our respect.   At the very least, I’m giving them mine. 

7 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

How soon before Netflix makes a movie about it?

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Great tweet.  

I partially agree with that Tweet.  It’s author equates it with adventure and climbing Everest.  Others in this thread have compared it to capsized migrants.  The tweet notes the aura of the Titanic being the cause for increased attention.  The posts here cite the financial well being of the passengers.  That’s where I disagree with both.

Although I agree that on a per capita basis this event has received a lot of attention, I don’t agree with their theories on why.  Unfortunately people die on Everest frequently and that is also true for migrants in boats or on land.  What separates this event is its unusual nature.  There are new things involved that no one has read about before.  Game controllers….close quarters….and so on, I’ll also concur that the Titanic component adds to the story.  IMO that is why it is getting the press.  Stories about migrants and climbers have been done before.  It certainly doesn’t make their lives less valuable it just makes articles harder to write with some sort of new spin.  Attribute that to laziness of the press or the consumer, but this story is the shiny object du jour.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just watched the USCG press conference.  It's over.

They found a bunch of debris including the tail assembly, the front bell housing that unbolts to get inside, and lots of bits and pieces.

They'll never find the central "tube" because that's CF and would have converted itself into a million little shards.

It probably imploded the moment it lost contact with the surface.  At least it was a fast death that no one would have even had time to comprehend.

I've read a ton of stuff on this now, and it sounds like the CF work of the pressure tube was shoddy at best, it was never really carefully examined for microscopic flaws, and it's now undergone quite a few pressure cycles without constant observation of its condition.

There was probably an air bubble or tiny flaw in it somewhere, that grew worse and worse over time until it reached a catastrophic failure.

This is why they don't make submarines out of CF.

The guy who built this thing was a bit of an ego maniac, a free spirit, and did it "his way" with a cocky bravado if you watch interviews of him.

The whole thing is a preventable shame.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

And the death toll of the Titanic ticks up by 5 :(

It's a shame.  I feel really bad for the 18/19 year old Pakistani boy.

I've read his age as being both; not sure which is true.

Didn't get much of a life to experience.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Forgive my ignorance if I missed this, but were the passengers aware of the risk involved?  I’m told there were “experts” who inspected the craft and warned the company in writing that it wouldn’t be able to withstand the depths.

Yes they knew the risks. 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's a shame.  I feel really bad for the 18/19 year old Pakistani boy.

I've read his age as being both; not sure which is true.

Didn't get much of a life to experience.

He gained life experience that you'll never have:

1. Being Pakistani

2. Shaving at the age of 4

3. Losing his virginity, maybe

4. Imploding

5. Touching the ocean floor

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.