Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But they ain't 29-32.😆 

They are 29-28-4 with 62 points and and winning % of .508.

That's a winning record anywhere! 

29 wins

32 losses

Not a winning record anywhere.

The NHL standings are about points, not wins and losses.   Some games count for 2 points toward the league standings........but some count for 3 because of OT Losses.   Other sports have a set amount of wins and or ties that can be had during a season.   You don't get loser points in the MLB/NFL/NBA.  That allows for a true winning %.   That's not the case in the NHL.      

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

29 wins

32 losses

The NHL standings are about points, not wins and losses.   Some games count for 2 points toward the league standings........but some count for 3 because of OT Losses.   Other sports have a set amount of wins and or ties that can be had during a season.   You don't get loser points in the MLB/NFL/NBA.  That allows for a true winning %.   That's not the case in the NHL.      

Such a great sport, and such a badly run league.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

29 wins

32 losses

Dude. After tonight's game, they are 29-29-4. They just lost to the Jets. Where are you getting 32 regulation losses from?😆🤣 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Dude. After tonight's game, they are 29-29-4. They just lost to the Jets. Where are you getting 32 regulation losses from?😆🤣 

I think he's counting the Overtime losses as losses, which they are, even if you get a loser point.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

I know. But the second column is for regulation losses only

In other words, he's making shi... up! 😏 

I think he just doesn't like the loser point idea. I don't like it, either.

I really liked it when a game that ended in a tie was a tie, but I guess that just means I'm old.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Such a great sport, and such a badly run league.

Not sure exactly why you think the league is run so badly - but if your point is that teams are incentivized to play for a tie towards the end of tie games I agree.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Not sure exactly why you think the league is run so badly - but if your point is that teams are incentivized to play for a tie towards the end of tie games I agree.

Ahh, that's too long a discussion, but certainly, that's part of it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

29 wins

32 losses

if you can't do math under the current rules don't blame @ExiledInIllinois

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think he just doesn't like the loser point idea. I don't like it, either.

I really liked it when a game that ended in a tie was a tie, but I guess that just means I'm old.

Fair enough.

But why is it a loser point? Why not a Winner point? After ties were abolished, they went from 2 point games to 3 point games if the game reached OT.

They should all be 3 points now.

3 Reg

2 OT/SOW

1 OT/SOL

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fair enough.

But why is it a loser point? Why not a Winner point? After ties were abolished, they went from 2 point games to 3 point games if the game reached OT.

3 Reg

2 OT/SOW

1 OT/SOL

I understand. It's an atavistic remnant from the days when you got 2 points for a win, and if it was tied, each team split the point.

So folks that hearken back to the purity and simplicity of the math in those days often don't think of the OT winner as getting the "winner's point," because OT wins used to be reserved for the post-season, where the loser would get nothing. Hence, the extra point for a team that actually loses is a "loser's point."

It is perhaps a semantic nicety. Given the convention of the 3 point rules, all that you indicate is correct. Nonetheless, somehow it introduces an element that seems to me sophistical, and a sign of decadence. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I understand. It's an atavistic remnant from the days when you got 2 points for a win, and if it was tied, each team split the point.

So folks that hearken back to the purity and simplicity of the math in those days often don't think of the OT winner as getting the "winner's point," because OT wins used to be reserved for the post-season, where the loser would get nothing. Hence, the extra point for a team that actually loses is a "loser's point."

It is perhaps a semantic nicety. Given the convention of the 3 point rules, all that you indicate is correct. Nonetheless, somehow it introduces an element that seems to me sophistical, and a sign of decadence. 

Yeah...

But they aren't playing real hockey in OT.  It's 3 on 3.  ShootOut isn't real hockey either. That's why loser gets a point.

AND you most certainly can't justify or validate moving those losses into to regulation loss column. The game is played radically different in OT.  The points even don't line-up doin that! Like I suggested above... Better to just split the points between wins/losses if you want two neat columns only.

Anyway, winner in OT is just getting the extra winner point.  It's 2 points anyway and can be added to the win column. 

This all started because they said Sabres still had a losing record. 

How is: 29-28-4 losing?  That's .508

They are .500 now @ 29-29-4. Still not a losing record. 

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fair enough.

3 Reg

2 OT/SOW

1 OT/SOL

All good, but then how do you define having a winning record? Usually it's more wins than losses and there's a tacit assumption - at least on my part - that there will be as many teams with winning records as there are with losing records. Not the case with the NHL. It devalues the notion of having a winning record IMO. 

38 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think he's counting the Overtime losses as losses, which they are, even if you get a loser point.

That's how it goes in every pro sport (except for the NFL, where teams can end a non-playoff game in a tie).

Edited by Doc

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

All good, but then how do you define having a winning record? Usually it's more wins than losses and there's a tacit assumption - at least on my part - that there will be as many teams with winning records as there are with losing records. Not the case with the NHL. It devalues the notion of having a winning record IMO. 

Winning record is above .500.

.500 is neither winning or losing.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's how it goes in every pro sport (except for the NFL, where teams can end a non-playoff game in a tie).

They can't be regulation losses.

The only reason they move the winner point to the win column because it doesn't matter, it's neat and tidy and there's no 4th column.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Winning record is above .500.

.500 is neither winning or losing.

For most leagues the collective winning percentage is .500. Not so with the NHL where the collective winning percentage is currently (assuming I did the math right) at .560. 

Logically I have a problem with having more winning teams than losing teams. Emotionally I'm not OK with handing out a winner 'trophy' based on same.

I love hockey, but I stopped looking at wins/losses/ties awhile ago. Points and games played/remaining are what matter to me - and yes I understand that a regulation win counts more than an OT win for tie-breaker - for now I put that in the same category as many NFL tie-breakers, be aware but worry about it when it matters.

.500 in hockey is not .500 as we have come to know it any other sport.  Some games are worth more points, and more wins are awarded than losses (if you don't count the otl as losses) so the actual mean point amount in the league is higher.

Right now only 7 of the 32 teams are .500 or below.  .500 is not any sort of accomplishment by a franchise in year 13 of a rebuild.  It is like being 7-10 in the nfl or losing 90 games.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They can't be regulation losses.

The only reason they move the winner point to the win column because it doesn't matter, it's neat and tidy and there's no 4th column.

It's still a loss.  Hence the name "overtime loss."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

who knew that NHL scoring was such a conundrum. 

all these points totals are moot until the end of the season anyway . I'll check back then and see how they officially landed in the standings

It would make most sense to make games worth 3 points.  If you win in regulation, you get all 3.  If you win in OT, you get 2 and the other team gets 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It would make most sense to make games worth 3 points.  If you win in regulation, you get all 3.  If you win in OT, you get 2 and the other team gets 1.

this is the easiest and obvious answer.  All games should be and need to be weighted the same.  Imagine if a Jets/Dolphins game ended up being worth 1.5 wins in the standings because they went to overtime?

4 hours ago, muppy said:

who knew that NHL scoring was such a conundrum. 

all these points totals are moot until the end of the season anyway . I'll check back then and see how they officially landed in the standings

In this context it is.  Kevyn Adams gaslights the .500 thing (as he does in today's TBN interview) to imply that the Sabres are average and better than they are.  It is a deception as they have the 8th-worst record in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 pts regulation win

2 pts OT or shootout (SO) win

1 pt to OT or SO loser

It makes sense on so many levels.

Each game having the same total points awarded being chief among them. 

Beyond that it fixes the incentive teams have in the late 3rd of a tie game. Would fans rather watch teams battle for a 3 point win or try to hang on for a guaranteed point?   Teams should be incentivized to play for the 3 pt. win in regulation.

Not to play for the guaranteed pt. of a tie. This is a huge mistake by the NHL that should be fixed after this season. 

If they don't like the 3 point win they should do away with the 1 pt. ties altogether.

Using the shootout there are no more ties anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 game stretch beginning today

Mar 6 2024

🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Toronto Maple Leafs

4:00 PM - 7:00 PM PST Scotiabank Arena

Edited by muppy

I don’t mind this deal so much.  It is clear that they weren’t going to extend Mitts anyway, and are getting a solid top 4 defenseman that is under contract until the end of next season.  While I hate seeing Mitts go, I think the compensation here is pretty freaking solid.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t mind this deal so much.  It is clear that they weren’t going to extend Mitts anyway, and are getting a solid top 4 defenseman that is under contract until the end of next season.  While I hate seeing Mitts go, I think the compensation here is pretty freaking solid.  

I just don't understand why they're stockpiling LHD when they need righties. Also the kid is 22 (great!) but has already missed significant time with 3 concussions (yikes!)

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Not sad to see him go in the least. Career high 15 goals AND it gets him out of what has to be an absolute garbage locker room based on the ridiculous season they've had? Sold. Wherever will all the boys go to game now? So sad.

Skinner next no matter the price to move him and frankly I'd like Tuch gone too. His home/away splits are abysmal.  Away being the better of the two which is bizarre and points to a problematic situation of some nature that magically doesn't follow him onto the team charter.  Move Okposo and E. Johnson out of respect, but that's not going to yield anything noteworthy.  I think one of the young D is going too but I'm not sure which one.  Too much youth and too much left handedness with Bryam in the fold. Again, that might be a summer move.

Edited by That's No Moon

8 hours ago, QCity said:

I just don't understand why they're stockpiling LHD when they need righties. Also the kid is 22 (great!) but has already missed significant time with 3 concussions (yikes!)

I believe he plays right as well

Mar 7 2024

🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Nashville Predators

5:00 PM - 8:00 PM PST

Bridgestone Arena

a rebound is in order. I will be watching but late. I am not a patient puck fan. I want a DUB and I want it TONIGHT!

GO SABRES

our sabres are losing handily 4-1 with 10 minutes left third period.  PIFFLE

I hate those mustard yellow uniforms Nashville pfft

a comeback is unlikely a la ****** poop.

SABRES!~!~!!!🤨

EDIT: 4-2 Sabres lose

Edited by muppy
  • Haha (+1) 2