All-Pro DT Chris Jones not at Chiefs Mandatory Minicamp

Big Turk

11 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Yeah, nobody would trade a 1st round pick for the best DT in the league in the prime of his career. 

Cheifs should just give him to us for a 5th...

Even if the Chiefs took wacky pills and traded him to us for a fifth, you think we have 30mil a year to give to him for the foreseeable future? 

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Yeah, nobody would trade a 1st round pick for the best DT in the league in the prime of his career. 

Cheifs should just give him to us for a 5th...

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say they get a 5th for him. Don't be ridiculous. My point is this: Anyone who traded for him would have to give him a huge new contract as well. No team on the rebuild would trade a first for a 29 year old DT and take on that contract. It would only stagnate their growth, as he would be gone by the time they are good enough to compete. That early pick can be used on a player who will be under a rookie deal for 3- 5 years. Also, he's not the best DT in the league. Maybe a contender would offer a first, but at what cost? Would KC trade him to a contender? His only leverage is to hold out knowing this is his last chance at a big payday. If he plays, he risks injury and getting slapped with the franchise tag next year. 

• Disagree 1

On 7/24/2023 at 12:25 PM, dave mcbride said:

Well, Aaron Donald is getting $31.7 milion per year (https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-donald/2952), at least on paper, so it's not crazy. Donald is better, but only by a little bit. Chris Jones is for my money the second best DT in the league. He's unblockable.

No one wants to pay $30 million but he is absolutely a game changer. Without him maybe we could’ve run better or god forbid protect Josh more. 

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

because you can manipulate the cap in many ways....including by having an owner pay actual $$$$$ money 

which is why Deandre Hopkins is a Bill.  Manipulation and "there is no cap" are not the same thing.  It does not matter how much money an owner has, there are limits.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Chris Jones starts a GoFundMe for the Chiefs to be able to afford him. Normally, I'm on the side of an athlete making what he can. But this is a d*ck move IMO.

There is no way that is real. If it is, Bills mafia would be able to crowd fund bonuses for players, to circumvent the salary cap.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Chris Jones starts a GoFundMe for the Chiefs to be able to afford him. Normally, I'm on the side of an athlete making what he can. But this is a d*ck move IMO.

That’s a terrible slap in the face to fans and others who earn far less.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

That’s a terrible slap in the face to fans and others who earn far less.

Perhaps it's meant more as viral media to pressure the KC org than as a literal money raising in-lieu of salary scheme

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Pretty sure that'd have to break some sort of rule for the NFL so I'm pretty sure this is fake as hell.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm not sure that would even be legal. Or at least, violates some contractual rules. 

They would have to put a pile of cash in a suitcase and covertly deliver it to him at hotel or something. Of course, that's probably been done before. 

giphy.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.