Ideas For The Best Jobs in Retirement

Irv

On 6/8/2023 at 5:54 AM, Irv said:

Just to clarify.  I'm 58 and have a high paying high-pressure job.  Looking to the future to do something after I'm done with this job, to make a few bucks, and keep busy.  

if it's a high paying job and you have close to 10 years before retiring, why haven't you put back some of that high pay for retirement?

anyhow, walmart can always use a greeter just be sure to wear your Dr. Scholl's.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3RD_b8ZwxEGSZxmQzz

I chose the most expensive (MSRP: $155.00 Was: $155.00 Now: $124.00) pair with your high paying job and all.

news at 11

• Haha (+1) 1

Good senior jobs are hard to get. My "hobby job" is stocking part-time at a major supermarket. It's a ball-busting job of heavy labor, NOT RECOMMENDED. I wake every day wondering if this is the day I give them 2 weeks' notice.

My sister is pushing me to get into Security jobs, I don't know if I've reached that low.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:59 AM, T&C said:

Who works when they are retired? That's the whole point of it... just go have fun doing stuff you like. 

Obviously, you haven't heard of Bidenflation eating away at fixed incomes.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/7/2023 at 12:17 PM, T&C said:

If you are still working then you aren't retired. People I know who have retired just go boating/fishing, travelling, play golf, hit flea markets, etc. They aren't working anywhere lol. Thread title really makes no sense to me. Maybe Irv just meant cutting down on working hours...

Yet another one who doesn't understand the effect of inflation on retirees.

46 minutes ago, boater said:

Good senior jobs are hard to get. My "hobby job" is stocking part-time at a major supermarket. It's a ball-busting job of heavy labor, NOT RECOMMENDED. I wake every day wondering if this is the day I give them 2 weeks' notice.

My sister is pushing me to get into Security jobs, I don't know if I've reached that low.

39 minutes ago, boater said:

Yet another one who doesn't understand the effect of inflation on retirees.

What you are doing is painting everyone with the same colored brush. I can assure you that not all retired people are working or are worried about their finances. That's the whole point of retirement, as the thread title suggests. 

Senior stuff is a whole different topic, the retirement age varies quite a bit. Some retire at 50, some retire at 70, and some never do even though they can. It's just a case by case thing.

Retired means you aren't working anymore, you are just having fun doing things you/yours like to do.

• Agree 1

Mrs. Lew and I are retired 3 years now.  We dont miss work at all.

Hobbies ..I golf   and  Mrs Lew reads

Volunteering.  We both volunteer at a soup kitchen once a week.  There are 20 

churches and organizations that rotate the other days.

Church. We are both on committees and I am a camera operator for

the live streaming of the service.

But the best thing we do is watch the two grandkids.  Best job ever.

my only advice is before you retire , get all your dental work done.  i.e.  crown, root canal, etc

Let the companies dental insurance pay for that.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, teef said:

you could always be like my dad and continue to work at 83.  he doesn't need the money at this point, but loves the interaction and it keeps him sharp.  i bet he puts in 40 hours or so a week.  

An old high school friend’s dad is in his mid-80s … retired attorney and still owns a motel (you’ve probably driven past it - it’s on Route 9, just south of the Great Escape … Graycourt Motel).

He still wears a suit and tie 7 days/week. 

I actually saw him coming out of his office just the other day. 

Not exactly sure what he does, but he’s clearly staying busy!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

An old high school friend’s dad is in his mid-80s … retired attorney and still owns a motel (you’ve probably driven past it - it’s on Route 9, just south of the Great Escape … Graycourt Motel).

same idea.  my dad is an accountant and works for himself, so he still loves it.  i honestly think he just talks on the phone and ***** around on the internet the majority of the time, but he just dressed, leaves the house, does some book keeping, etc.  the tax season gets to him a bit, but he doesn't seem to have any desire to stop.  we're not really hobby people, so i'm sure that's part of it too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LewPort71 said:

my only advice is before you retire , get all your dental work done.  i.e.  crown, root canal, etc

Let the companies dental insurance pay for that.

Ha! Dental insurance sucks. You must have a "Cadillac Plan."  For everybody else it's the biggest racket on the planet. 

I am going through 2 implants right now to replace a 20 year old bridge. It's costing me $11,000. Insurance is picking up $1500. 😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

While working our company had a Cadillac dental plan.  The health care plan was a Chevy Chevette.

Sadly we got the Yugo ripoff plan that many others have. We pay them, they pay poo, the dentist just jacks up the price for services when they find out you got "insurance." 😕😞

It's the way the world is moving... Those extended car service plans seem like a better option. 😆 

Health plan sucks too... Take more money there. 

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

He’s laundering money for the cartel.  Don’t you have netflix? 

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 10:34 AM, PastaJoe said:

I’m retired and you couldn’t pay me enough to work again. I can understand if you need supplemental income. I feel bad when I see a person my age (62) working an hourly job.

A retired friend works at a golf course on Mondays and Wednesdays mowing the fairways. But instead of cash he took a free club membership.

My brother-in-law who’s a chipper 80 works driving around Buffalo delivering prescription eye glasses to various stores and customers.

My sentiments exactly.   That's the whole point of retirement IMO.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:30 PM, boater said:

Too many Americans simply don't plan very well for retirement.   Too many decide to retire at a certain age (frequently 62 when they're first eligible for Social Security) without investigating if they can afford to actually to do so.   Too many have only minimal savings. Too many don't know how much they're going to receive from SS or their pensions.  Too many don't plan for how they're going to pay for health care before they're eligible for Medicare or medical expenses not covered by Medicare when they turn 65.   Too many Americans "retire" needing at least a part time job to maintain their life-style from the get-go before they have to deal with inflation, stock market declines or rent increases whether they were low or high wage earners. 

Most retirees who've planned well for retirement haven't been forced back into the work force, even if they've been retired for several years.

4 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Becoming a philanthropist sounds like it would be satisfying, but I'm still in the feeling lazy stage of retirement.

My wife wants to run a foundation after she retires. She has worked in and knows that world. She says “everybody LOVES you for giving away someone else’s money!” Good point! 

I don’t think she’ll ever have a lazy stage. Her mother didn’t need to, but she worked until she died. 

I seem to have settled into the lazy stage just fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/8/2023 at 6:54 AM, Irv said:

Just to clarify.  I'm 58 and have a high paying high-pressure job.  Looking to the future to do something after I'm done with this job, to make a few bucks, and keep busy.  

Someone mentioned being a starter at a golf course. Both private clubs and the county courses are always looking for someone. Or outside mowing the course if you don't want to deal with anyone. If you work at Durand you might get the fringe benefit of having a beer with Steve O after your shift.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Steve O said:

Someone mentioned being a starter at a golf course. Both private clubs and the county courses are always looking for someone. Or outside mowing the course if you don't want to deal with anyone. If you work at Durand you might get the fringe benefit of having a beer with Steve O after your shift.

This reminds me of Bob. I’m more of a tennis guy and he worked the pro shop where we lived. I’d feel bad calling and asking for the ball machine to be set up, but he was always so happy and helpful. “Glad to do it!” 

After tennis we’d go around to the pool area and he’d serve us beers at the bar. Bob was US! Bob was probably a few years older than me, but not much. He had done something else in life, and this was a pleasant, no stress way to spend 20 hours a week and get a helpful check. 

I always wanted to have a few beers with old Bob, but he was working and the grown up of the two of us. (I never said he was perfect!) 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.