The case for Mike Evans v DHop

Einstein's Dog

With over 300 combined pages I am experiencing DHop fatigue.  Not only that, my desire for DHop has been reduced some by the skeptics.  DHop's age, PEDs, personality, and now chase of the almight $, make me wonder about the alternatives.   What about Mike Evans?

Tampa could be outright terrible this year.  Huge Brady hangover.  Recent power ranking had Tampa 3rd or 4th worst in the league and they just had the viral video of pathetic QB play.  Yet their WR room is quite expensive - M Evans $13M, C Godwin $20M, and R Gage $10M.   M Evans should be able to be had.

Pros for Mike Evans:

Drugs: Evans has not been busted for steroids (so Evans can be more aggressive in his supplement routine)

Production:  Tie - while DHop has 11,298 yards, Evans 10,425 done in one less year

culture/personality - Evans seems more level headed, no drama

Cost - this is where it gets tricky.  DHop looks like he wants greater than OBJ money ($15M), and while IMO DHop has a legitimate point that does not seem like the dollar figure the Bills have in mind.  M Evans is on the last year of what was his big contract and it's a reasonable $13M.  But to get him the Bills would probably need to send over a decent draft pick (maybe a 3rd) and do an extension for 2-3 years with the usual treats of guarateed money/signing bonus, but done in a decent cap friendly type way.

While Evans has a ring, he might be chasing the HOF.  And while Evans is classy enough to keep quiet, going to Buffalo would be great for his career.  And Tampa has a problem with extending

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Mike Evans isn't available for Trade. It's always just speculation by media members for WR needy teams. Which we are not. If we were, we'd be offering Hopkins whatever it took.

Between the additions of Kincaid (as much a TE as Von is a LB), Harty, Sherfield, and Shorter and what we already had in Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir - WR is only a "need" for fans who feel Gabe Davis shouldn't be on the team and require a depth chart filled with "I've heard of 'em!" players to be satisfied.

Whether or not anyone feels comfortable with how the position has been addressed - Beane does and none of those guys are going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I specifically remember Evans dropping passes from TB12

I specifically remember him catching passes from that QB

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Mike Evans isn't available for Trade. It's always just speculation by media members for WR needy teams. Which we are not. If we were, we'd be offering Hopkins whatever it took.

Between the additions of Kincaid (as much a TE as Von is a LB), Harty, Sherfield, and Shorter and what we already had in Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir - WR is only a "need" for fans who feel Gabe Davis shouldn't be on the team and require a depth chart filled with "I've heard of 'em!" players to be satisfied.

Whether or not anyone feels comfortable with how the position has been addressed - Beane does and none of those guys are going anywhere.

Jason Licht, that you?

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

I've loved Evans since the day he came out. Watkins and OBJ got all of the fanfare when it was clear Evans was going to be more like an Eric Moulds type player. Dude is legit. Id love to have him. 

Good for you.  I hope he feels the same towards you.

gay-pride-flag-non-binary.gif

Sorry but that was perfect phrasing on your part.😁

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Beane all but cried over spending a 4th round pick to move up in the draft so i’d be shocked if he spent a pick on Evan’s when Hopkins is available for just money.

Really…. Because he has moved up in the draft plenty of times?

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Jason Licht, that you?

How about Todd Bowles?

"I don’t know where that [talk] came from, either. Mike’s been one of our best players for a long time. He’s still productive at a high level, one of my favorite guys on the team,” Bowles said.

The head coach added “same thing” for Chris Godwin.

“I don’t see those two guys going anywhere,” Bowles said with an incredulous look on his face.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2023/03/todd-bowles-addresses-chris-godwin-mike-evans-trade-rumors/

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Really…. Because he has moved up in the draft plenty of times?

Yes and he did this year.

And anguished over it.

So with a choice between signing a WR that costs zero draft pick, and one that costs a draft pick, I think the choice is obvious.

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He might be.  Evans is on the last year of his contract.  With the two other WRs under pretty sizable contracts, it seems reasonable that Evans would not be in a rebuilding teams plans.  And if Evans isn't in their plans, they might want to move him while they can get a pick.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Yes and he did this year.

And anguished over it.

So with a choice between signing a WR that costs zero draft pick, and one that costs a draft pick, I think the choice is obvious.

Sorry.. I don’t care if he “cried” or not… he gave up the pick and he has done so many times… he gave up a 5th for Hines and they never use him!

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Beane all but cried over spending a 4th round pick to move up in the draft so i’d be shocked if he spent a pick on Evan’s when Hopkins is available for just money.

But we have an extra third for Edmunds.

And while DHop is available for just money, the money may be too much.  It's looking like DHop is wanting over $15M.  Evans has a contract with $13M that would be the starting point.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Sign me up for Evans

I just don’t know why the bucs would do that

Because the Bucs are going to stink. 

Because the Bucs have no intention of reupping Evans (expecially with Godwin and Gage at pretty big money)

Also maybe as a favor to Evans, he may discreetly want out.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

With over 300 combined pages I am experiencing DHop fatigue.  Not only that, my desire for DHop has been reduced some by the skeptics.  DHop's age, PEDs, personality, and now chase of the almight $, make me wonder about the alternatives.   What about Mike Evans?

Tampa could be outright terrible this year.  Huge Brady hangover.  Recent power ranking had Tampa 3rd or 4th worst in the league and they just had the viral video of pathetic QB play.  Yet their WR room is quite expensive - M Evans $13M, C Godwin $20M, and R Gage $10M.   M Evans should be able to be had.

Pros for Mike Evans:

Drugs: Evans has not been busted for steroids (so Evans can be more aggressive in his supplement routine)

Production:  Tie - while DHop has 11,298 yards, Evans 10,425 done in one less year

culture/personality - Evans seems more level headed, no drama

Cost - this is where it gets tricky.  DHop looks like he wants greater than OBJ money ($15M), and while IMO DHop has a legitimate point that does not seem like the dollar figure the Bills have in mind.  M Evans is on the last year of what was his big contract and it's a reasonable $13M.  But to get him the Bills would probably need to send over a decent draft pick (maybe a 3rd) and do an extension for 2-3 years with the usual treats of guarateed money/signing bonus, but done in a decent cap friendly type way.

While Evans has a ring, he might be chasing the HOF.  And while Evans is classy enough to keep quiet, going to Buffalo would be great for his career.  And Tampa has a problem with extending

I think the perspective of Bills fans from Tampa on TSW was that Mike Evans never wants to leave Tampa.    Contending or otherwise.   He lost for many years and then got his SB and playoff appearances in recent seasons.   The same reason the Bills never traded Kyle Williams to New Orleans when they were going in two different directions despite THAT connection seeming totally obvious.   

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

How about Todd Bowles?

"I don’t know where that [talk] came from, either. Mike’s been one of our best players for a long time. He’s still productive at a high level, one of my favorite guys on the team,” Bowles said.

“I don’t see those two guys going anywhere,” Bowles said with an incredulous look on his face.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2023/03/todd-bowles-addresses-chris-godwin-mike-evans-trade-rumors/

I don't think Bowles has anything to do with personnel.  And even if he did, this is typical coachspeak.

Most coaches would love having $20M Godwin, $10M Gage (although this seems to be a Brady influenced overpay), and also Evans.  But it seems unlikely to me that the Bucs will be able to keep him in 2024.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Sorry.. I don’t care if he “cried” or not… he gave up the pick and he has done so many times… he gave up a 5th for Hines and they never use him!

you’re right. I forgot that he is nonsensical

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the perspective of Bills fans from Tampa on TSW was that Mike Evans never wants to leave Tampa.    Contending or otherwise.   He lost for many years and then got his SB and playoff appearances in recent seasons.   The same reason the Bills never traded Kyle Williams to New Orleans when they were going in two different directions despite THAT connection seeming totally obvious.   

That could be true.  He might have a lot invested in the community and Evans might want to stay through thick and thin. 

Maybe the team and Evans can have a discussion and come to terms that this could be the best for both parties involved.  Tampa will be in a tough spot if they have to give Evans his next contract with the investment they already have in the WR room while the rest of the team is in tatters.

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol...the 20-teens HOF??

Doesn't M Evans have the same type of resume as DHop - and DHop is considered potential HOF. 

Just took a look, Evans stats look like they can be in the ballpark of Isaac Bruce who got in with 15,000+ yards in about 16 seasons.  If you add 3-4 more years in Buffalo Evans will be there.

And, hopefully a few extra offensive lineman can yield another 6th or 7th rounder in a trade before the season.

With that said, if the Bucs are willing to take a 3rd for Mike Evans, then there is no need to worry about Gabe Davis and some cap juggling could get him in.

Tampa is clearly in tank mode, but I’d have to think Beane has atleast already inquired.

I’m just assuming neither he nor Godwin will be available until about week six when it’s evident just how bad the Suckaneers are this year, then they’ll start clearing house, but they’ll want to give Baker and/or Trask as much of a chance to succeed as possible to start.

I agree though, back when there was talk of giving up valuable draft capital for D Hop, and he wasn’t just sitting there on the market, I would’ve preferred trading for Evans over Hopkins if it were an option.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think this is a little bit harsh
We had Hines for part of the season last year in what has been reported to be a very complicated office. Maybe we give him a training camp before we make any valuation on this?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I don't think Bowles has anything to do with personnel.  And even if he did, this is typical coachspeak.

Most coaches would love having $20M Godwin, $10M Gage (although this seems to be a Brady influenced overpay), and also Evans.  But it seems unlikely to me that the Bucs will be able to keep him in 2024.

Yes, but when do you ever hear about Mike Evans being shopped by the team? When do you hear about teams being in the mix for trading for him?

It's always the same sort of throwing at the wall speculation by fans and media of him being in the last year of his deal and the state of the team. Any time it's ever brought up around them they're befuddled as to why it's even being talked about.

13 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Doesn't M Evans have the same type of resume as DHop - and DHop is considered potential HOF. 

Just took a look, Evans stats look like they can be in the ballpark of Isaac Bruce who got in with 15,000+ yards in about 16 seasons.  If you add 3-4 more years in Buffalo Evans will be there.

come on.  There's zero chance that Evans is getting 125-175 targets a year in Buffalo

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes, but when do you ever hear about Mike Evans being shopped by the team? When do you hear about teams being in the mix for trading for him?

It's always the same sort of throwing at the wall speculation by fans and media of him being in the last year of his deal and the state of the team. Any time it's ever brought up around them they're befuddled as to why it's even being talked about.

Circumstances are a little different this time around. 

Moving Evans while tough and difficult kind of makes sense for both sides.  Evans going to a contender with a quality QB in the later years of his career.  And Tampa getting something for someone they won't be able to afford the next year (which would also be a bad fan pressure situation for them).

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think this is a little bit harsh
We had Hines for part of the season last year in what has been reported to be a very complicated office. Maybe we give him a training camp before we make any valuation on this?

Ok.. fair enough…

I like the guy and want them to find a way for him to be of more use … he does get paid pretty well for his position too

I was just singling him out as an example of Beane being prepared to trade picks .. there are many other examples of him doing this…

16 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

That could be true.  He might have a lot invested in the community and Evans might want to stay through thick and thin. 

Maybe the team and Evans can have a discussion and come to terms that this could be the best for both parties involved.  Tampa will be in a tough spot if they have to give Evans his next contract with the investment they already have in the WR room while the rest of the team is in tatters.

I would love to have Evans but I also kinda' prefer the skillset of DHop better if the mix is Diggs and Davis.   And with Davis being cheap and in a walk year.........it should be.   Davis is a top WR3 but he and Evans skillsets are kinda' redundant.    They are deep ball guys who also get some work done in the intermediate.     DHop is better than them on the short and intermediate routes and has MUCH better hands........without being a low ypc guy.   If you have Evans and Davis you pretty much gotta' use Diggs for the vast majority of the short game........which is hard work.    Or you gotta' take one of Davis and Evans off the field for Kincaid and hope that he doesn't play like a rookie.

I am also loathe to give up draft pick compensation if it can be avoided.    Hopefully the Bills going all-in yields a SB win but the difference between what Beane is doing and what Les Snead did from 2017-2021 really HAS to be that Beane uses and hits with "them picks".     The Rams really kinda' bankrupted their roster trading away so many picks.........that's why they had to pull the plug moreso then because they couldn't straighten out their cap.

55 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

How about Todd Bowles?

Is he supposed to say, “Yep, he is good as gone.”? Coaches and GMs lie through their teeth all the time about whether players are available.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Ok.. fair enough…

I like the guy and want them to find a way for him to be of more use … he does get paid pretty well for his position too

I was just singling him out as an example of Beane being prepared to trade picks .. there are many other examples of him doing this…

Beane is willing to trade pics to get who wants I actually don’t have a problem with that

But this is also the first year where we will get a comp pic, so I almost feel like he’s working the system a little bit differently

He was very careful to bring in players that wouldn’t mess with the comp pic formula

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.