Will DeAndre Hopklns Next Contract be Higher, Lower or the Same as OBJ's contract?

Chaos

Will DeAndre Hopklns Next Contract have a value Higher, Lower or the Same as OBJ's contract?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Will DeAndre Hopklns Next Contract have a value Higher, Lower or the Same as OBJ's contract?

• Higher
    • Lower
    • Same

Will DeAndre Hopklns Next Contract have a value Higher, Lower or the Same as OBJ's contract?

There are reports that a Chiefs deal with Cardinals was almost complete, and was derailed by the OBJ contract, because DHOP believes  he should be paid more.  The poll question is not asking is DHOP worth more or less.  The question is strictly on where you think DHOPs contract value ends up vs. OBJs.

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Interesting poll... I settled on lower even though I think he deserves more. It's debatable if Odell or Deandre had the better peak in their careers, but it's indisputable that Odell's play has fallen off A LOT in recent years (whereas Deandre has only fall off a little). 

The Ravens were in a desperate situation with Lamar unsigned and grossly overpaid a 30 year old OBJ coming off a devastating injury. They HAD to bring him in to show Lamar they were serious about getting him weapons (I also wonder if Lamar specifically told them to go get OBJ). 

The reported front runners for Hopkins are the Bills and Chiefs. Both teams have their QBs locked up and no reports of discontent. Both teams are at the cap (although can always restructure deals for more space). I don't see either of those teams paying Hopkins more than 10 million. 

I guess it comes down to Hopkins. Does he want to chase a ring with Bills/Chiefs? Or does he want to try and maximize earnings? It certainly seems like he's prioritizing the ring so I expect him to sign with Bills/Chiefs at a discount. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Chaos said:

There are reports that a Chiefs deal with Cardinals was almost complete, and was derailed by the OBJ contract, because DHOP believes  he should be paid more.  The poll question is not asking is DHOP worth more or less.  The question is strictly on where you think DHOPs contract value ends up vs. OBJs.

I suspect it will be similar in value but structures may make an apples to apples comparison tricky. Salary vs incentives, duration, voidable years to spread hits, etc… 

I suspect Hopkins plays on a 2 year deal in the ballpark with salary and likely incentives but may see a 3-4 year contract term to make it achievable to get under the cap this late. 

for instance,

4 year 70m

15m signing, low base salary

10m option bonus to force the decision early 2m salary, 3m incentives for being active and minimally productive 

Big option bonus and high salaries in year 3 to force the end of the deal after year two but makes him look more valuable than obj for bragging rights. 

Ends up 2 for 31 with like 7.5m of that cap hit being dead money in years 3-4

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

I think he’s 💯 worth more.  

That’s said, will a team be willing to pay him more?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The OBj contract struck me as too rich and I’m glad we didn’t pay him that much.  

i think the biggest question is how much playing for a true contender matters to him.  I believe the Pats are willing to pay him more than 15M.  But does he want to play for NE?  🤷🏻‍♂️ Does he want a multi year deal with more than one season of gtd money?  So many questions that we don’t have the answer to.  

I’d venture to say there’s a team or 2 that will be willing to pay him 15M+ for the 2023 season.  I don’t believe KC or Buffalo will.  That said, he may join KC or Buffalo for less than other offers if playing for a true contender is really that important to him.  

my personal opinion is that $ matters most to him and that he’ll end up in Clevelan for 15M+.  Stefanski’s job is on the line and reuniting watson with Hopkins could save his job and get the most out of Watson 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

Voted lower.  If he wanted to play for a lousy team, he would have stayed with the Cardinals.  With that in mind, the legitimate SB contending teams have no money, so he'll take a lower 1-year deal to try for a ring and enter 2024 FA for the new contract.  It's harder to get in the HOF without at least one championship to your name.

That's at least what I'd do.  😃

17 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

If he's smart, he'll gamble a bit and sign with Cleveland.  They seem like a happy medium.  A playoff caliber team with the potential for a SB run. 

Who the hell would sign for 8 or 9 million when you can sign for 15 or more!  

He obviously has played with Watson before too. Still, IDK that Cleveland makes the move. Seems pricey for them at this point. They are the only team with higher active spending this season than the Bills. Much like the Bills it may come down to how much pressure the brass is under. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

It would help to include the OBJ contract details in the first post so we know what we're comparing.

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Y05nRm2.png

Here are the OBJ details.

1yr/$15M, but spread out over 5 years for a cap hit of ~$3M/yr

I'd bet Hopkins will get more since he has been healthy and playing, and probably more than 1 year, but it will be structured with void years as well.

This only works if you can eat it all the year after.  If they let him walk after this year without an extension they pay that full 11 and change in dead money next year

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

This only works if you can eat it all the year after.  If they let him walk after this year without an extension they pay that full 11 and change in dead money next year

Slight correction they account for the full 11 and change in 2024. The money is paid already.

He will do a massive home town discount, amounting to 1.7 million a year, two year contract $500,000.00 signing bonus, because that’s the kinda guy he is, process/team first…,

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

If he's smart, he'll gamble a bit and sign with Cleveland.  They seem like a happy medium.  A playoff caliber team with the potential for a SB run. 

Who the hell would sign for 8 or 9 million when you can sign for 15 or more!  

Thing is there isn’t a single team in that division you can say Cleveland is better than even if they add him. 
I think a team like the Lions could be in play though they seem like they are on the come up and he’s in a much easier conference. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think he’s 💯 worth more.  

my personal opinion is that $ matters most to him and that he’ll end up in Clevelan for 15M+.  Stefanski’s job is on the line and reuniting watson with Hopkins could save his job and get the most out of Watson 

While Stefanski's job is indeed on the line, they already have 9 WRs on the roster. Probably unlikely he goes there unless the Brinks truck backs up to the building

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Thing is there isn’t a single team in that division you can say Cleveland is better than even if they add him. 
I think a team like the Lions could be in play though they seem like they are on the come up and he’s in a much easier conference. 

Crazy stat....Burrow is 1-5 vs the Browns, so even though Cincy has had this playoff run, they aren't better than CLE on the field.

20 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

While Stefanski's job is indeed on the line, they already have 9 WRs on the roster. Probably unlikely he goes there unless the Brinks truck backs up to the building

Crazy stat....Burrow is 1-5 vs the Browns, so even though Cincy has had this playoff run, they aren't better than CLE on the field.

Might be right.  I didn’t do my due diligence.  I forgot they drafted Tillman. Their top 4 is really solid now with Cooper, Moore, DPJ and Tillman.  Then goodwin, David Bell, Anthony Schwartz, Darden and grant……  sheesh.

• Like (+1) 1

Hopkins >>> OBJ

However, at this point in the offseason, with tighter cap space and teams already have filled their rosters with draft and free agency, I think he has less leverage and is either going to get about the same or lower with maybe more incentives.

He should get more, I would take Hopkins 10 times over OBJ at this point, but not sure the teams he wants to play for can afford or are willing to pay him more than OBJ at this stage of the season.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Split it as a June 1 cut. So 3 years impact 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.