Quinnen Williams scrubs Jets from his Twitter page

wppete

31 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

They’re 41M in the red for 2024.  It’s possible, but I’d love to see them take on another +$20M contract.  Jets have swung for the fences and are going to have to get very creative the next few years with their cap. 

Just like every contender that pays their QB.  It’ll be a challenge for sure but definitely possible.  

if they don’t sign him, good.  Hopefully an NFC team will pay him.  He just strikes me as a guy that Saleh needs and wants for his defense 

• Agree 2

I wouldnt even call this a negotiating tactic. It literally does nothing. It is completely meaningless.

It's really more a PR move for the player to save face with the fans, and make it look like "hey, I want  to stay, but the team doesnt want me, so not my fault if I leave". Even though it takes both sides and the player could take the offer on the table at any time.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just like every contender that pays their QB.  It’ll be a challenge for sure but definitely possible.  

if they don’t sign him, good.  Hopefully an NFC team will pay him.  He just strikes me as a guy that Saleh needs and wants for his defense 

No other team traded for a $50M AAV player and rolled 90% of their salary to the next year.  Rodgers counts for more than $100M next year.  Cap wise, the Jets are in the worst shape of any team for 2024.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, TheWeatherMan said:

No other team traded for a $50M AAV player and rolled 90% of their salary to the next year.  Rodgers counts for more than $100M next year.  Cap wise, the Jets are in the worst shape of any team for 2024.  

And he will be 41... so not like you want to extend and lower the hit.

Quinnen Williams is definitely underpaid after playing great last season, but I bet the Jets will try to keep him on his current deal and franchise tag him next season.

The Jets have a bunch of overpaid guys like CJ Mosley, Corey Davis, and Duane Brown that will make it hard to resign any of their star players after adding Aaron Rodgers.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I wouldnt even call this a negotiating tactic. It literally does nothing. It is completely meaningless.

It's really more a PR move for the player to save face with the fans, and make it look like "hey, I want  to stay, but the team doesnt want me, so not my fault if I leave". Even though it takes both sides and the player could take the offer on the table at any time.

I'm sure you're right.  But I think it does the total opposite of what players intend.

It makes them look selfish, greedy and more about their paycheck than team-players.

Above all, fans care about the team winning.  They are worried about the 2023 schedule.  Not their defensive tackle's financial security.  To the general public, Quinnen Williams is still under contract for another season.  But he now gives the impression that he's moving on mentally and not dedicated to the Jets, because he wants his big contract RIGHT NOW. 

Fans are OK with the Jets pitching low-ball offers early in the negotiation process, because a favorable contract is to the overall TEAM'S benefit.  Now if the Jets drag their feet and ultimately let Williams become a Free Agent next season (and as a result, hurting the team)...that's when the front office becomes the bad guy and fans start turning against them.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Quinnen Williams is definitely underpaid after playing great last season, but I bet the Jets will try to keep him on his current deal and franchise tag him next season.

The Jets have a bunch of overpaid guys like CJ Mosley, Corey Davis, and Duane Brown that will make it hard to resign any of their star players after adding Aaron Rodgers.

Pay Quinnen and trade ARod to Denver.  I mean this is the Jets.

21 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Exactly, it’s a very bold win now move.  They could extend to tack on ghost years to spread the cap hit but that would be unwise as well.  

Yea their only option really is dummy years. They have to at least make a Superbowl I think while he is there to consider this a true success.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I know this is common practiced for disgruntled NFL players, but it feels very middle school-ish to me. 

Just like we all had the kid at our playground who got frustrated playing and said "I'm taking my ball and going home"

I don't know what I hate more, that the players do this or that it seems to work.  

It's so childish to me.  What do you think is going to happen, the media or fans are going to pressure the GM into giving you more money than they can?  It's okay to want a contract for your value, but do it like an adult.

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't know what I hate more, that the players do this or that it seems to work.  

It's so childish to me.  What do you think is going to happen, the media or fans are going to pressure the GM into giving you more money than they can?  It's okay to want a contract for your value, but do it like an adult.

I act childish for free, giving me 80 million more reasons to do it wouldn’t be an inhibitor.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.