Quinnen Williams scrubs Jets from his Twitter page

wppete

Quinnen Williams, like nearly every single other player in his situation, is doing precisely what his agent is telling him to do, and that’s exactly what he should be doing.  Agents aren’t stupid.  They understand how to cause a stir amongst a fan base and apply pressure to the franchise by manipulating their clients’ social media.  It’s part of a 9 figure negotiation, not childish drama.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, julian said:

I’m not saying it wasn’t the right move, I’m just saying if it doesn’t result into a deep run and then Rodgers is out the door after this year or next and all those elite rookies are looking for their bag and now you have no QB.

thats a tough spot.

Yeah…. The same spot they were in this year if they didn’t get him. The fast track to picking top 15.  

I think the odds are that he plays pretty good.  Just need lots of things to fall in place. Like every eventual champion.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

these guys are such children..."I''ll scrub you from my feeds and let you deal with THAT!!"

It would be a stronger message if players actually LEFT after doing this stuff. Much of the time, the player ends up re-signing with the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

MetLife is getting new turf. It's about time as players have said it is one of the worst fields to play on.

From FieldTurf to FieldTurfCore....

14 hours ago, julian said:

That’s a horrible spot to be in, paying elite money for elite players and no  QB, brutal

It wasn't brutal for the Rams

20 hours ago, wppete said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/15/quinnen-williams-scrubs-jets-from-his-twitter-page/

Social media has become a tool for sending messages. And Jets defensive tackle Quinnen Williams has sent a pointed one to his current team.

Williams has removed any reference to the Jets from his Twitter page. After the title “Defensive Tackle for,” there is now a stream of periods.

The move comes at a time when Williams is boycotting voluntary offseason workouts as he tries to get a new deal. Recent reports have suggested that a major gap remains between the parties’ positions.

The defensive tackle market currently has Aaron Donald of the Rams far and away above the others, at $31.667 million annually. More than $8 million per year below Donald is Titans defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons, at $23.5 million. Commanders defensive tackle Daron Payne and Giants defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence are next, at $22.5 million.

So where does Williams want to land in the gap between Simmons and Donald? That’s likely the issue between the Jets and Williams. And, currently, Williams is making it clear he’s not happy with where things stand.

That's the new moves these guys are doing this is a copycat league

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Was this on Rodgers demands list before he agreed to be a Jet haha

No, they have talking about replacing the turf for a while now. Players around the league have complained MetLife has one of the worst fields in the league.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

From FieldTurf to FieldTurfCore....

It wasn't brutal for the Rams

Yeah nobody will give a damn if you win, again I’m not saying they shouldn’t have paid for Rodgers, If I were a Jets fan I’m all in.

I was just pointing out that life after Rodgers will coincide with all those young players no longer on rookie contracts and no QB.

I guess the bottom line is you either have a QB or you don’t and the remainder of your roster is just there.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Billl said:

Quinnen Williams, like nearly every single other player in his situation, is doing precisely what his agent is telling him to do, and that’s exactly what he should be doing.  Agents aren’t stupid.  They understand how to cause a stir amongst a fan base and apply pressure to the franchise by manipulating their clients’ social media.  It’s part of a 9 figure negotiation, not childish drama.  

I’m not sure - you also risk alienating the fanbase and making it easier for the team to move on from you without backlash.

16 hours ago, Billl said:

I think maybe the first or first few guys that did it caused a stir in fan bases.

These days the only people that still get worked up by it are the lowest of the low intelligence fans. Casual fans that don't realize how often this happens. And of course, media members...who while they know it means absolutely nothing tend to pander to the low IQ and click bait headlines for traffic. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2023 at 11:49 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

I wouldnt even call this a negotiating tactic. It literally does nothing. It is completely meaningless.

It's really more a PR move for the player to save face with the fans, and make it look like "hey, I want  to stay, but the team doesnt want me, so not my fault if I leave". Even though it takes both sides and the player could take the offer on the table at any time.

On 5/15/2023 at 12:15 PM, mjt328 said:

I'm sure you're right.  But I think it does the total opposite of what players intend.

It makes them look selfish, greedy and more about their paycheck than team-players.

Above all, fans care about the team winning.  They are worried about the 2023 schedule.  Not their defensive tackle's financial security.  To the general public, Quinnen Williams is still under contract for another season.  But he now gives the impression that he's moving on mentally and not dedicated to the Jets, because he wants his big contract RIGHT NOW. 

Fans are OK with the Jets pitching low-ball offers early in the negotiation process, because a favorable contract is to the overall TEAM'S benefit.  Now if the Jets drag their feet and ultimately let Williams become a Free Agent next season (and as a result, hurting the team)...that's when the front office becomes the bad guy and fans start turning against them.

On 5/15/2023 at 12:47 PM, Malazan said:

Are the players the ones who do it or does it come from their agent?

Seems like a cheap way to get a news story written and generate a bunch of buzz to put pressure on the team to get the deal done. 

To me, regardless of whether it comes from the player or the agent, the scrubbing of the social media account is a meaningless and empty protest. I don't think it really applies much pressure to the club because it's become so commonplace. And I'm one who agrees that it's childish. No one bats an eye anymore when it happens.

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

Obviously.  Same goes for every team in the league.  

Being an afc team with a very good roster is useless when you don’t have a qb.  They were one qb away from being a SB contender and got the only one that would accomplish that.  The way I see it, drafting and developing a rookie qb, considering how poor this qb class was, likely would’ve ended up in drafting a QB not SB worthy for at least 2-3 years….and likely never worthy imo.  

Can you imagine being the Jets or their fans?

They swung and missed on Sam Darnold (3rd overall in 2018) and then Zach Wilson (2nd overall in 2021).

No wonder they went the trade route this time.

21 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I hope he holds out and gets big money to further destroy their cap structure............have I ever indicated how much I detest the JESTS

The Jets won the Joe Namath Super Bowl but have almost nothing to show in their history aside from that... The New York Sack Exchange?

While we're still without a Super Bowl we do have a higher all-time winning percentage as well as leading the all-time series between the teams.

And yes, I detest the New York Jets too... almost at the same level as my hatred for the Patriots and the Dolphins.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

To me, regardless of whether it comes from the player or the agent, the scrubbing of the social media account is a meaningless and empty protest. I don't think it really applies much pressure to the club because it's become so commonplace. And I'm one who agrees that it's childish. No one bats an eye anymore when it happens.

The 5 page thread on another team's message board (and you can find them on plenty of other team's message boards as well) and the news stories on it on pretty much every major site that covers the NFL would beg to differ. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Williams hates the Jets now...

But once they show him the cash,

He'll be sooo nice.

Lawd, he'll be lovey dovey.

😁

I said "I know, everybody funny.  Now you funny too."

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think maybe the first or first few guys that did it caused a stir in fan bases.

These days the only people that still get worked up by it are the lowest of the low intelligence fans. Casual fans that don't realize how often this happens. And of course, media members...who while they know it means absolutely nothing tend to pander to the low IQ and click bait headlines for traffic. 

6 hours ago, TableDestoyer69 said:

I’m not sure - you also risk alienating the fanbase and making it easier for the team to move on from you without backlash.

The agents are making those decisions.  Whether you agree with what the agents decide, those guys earn millions to do this for a living.  The players are just doing what their agents tell them, and that’s the smart move.  Guys like Lamar who don’t hire agents get crapped on for not having agents tell them what to do, and then the guys who do what their agents tell them get crapped on as well.  

3 hours ago, Malazan said:

The 5 page thread on another team's message board (and you can find them on plenty of other team's message boards as well) and the news stories on it on pretty much every major site that covers the NFL would beg to differ. 

A 5 page thread on a message board convinces me of nothing.

If it was in North Collins about the high school football team maybe, but not an NFL message board.

That doesn't even move the needle as they say.

Just a bunch of bored NFL fans talking about very little... as happens here every day.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.