Bills Sign Former First Rounder Shane Ray (now released with injury settlement)

aristocrat

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They have money. I’m not going to make excuses for Beane. Our pass rush has failed us multiple seasons. Relying on 34 year old Von Miller coming off an ACL is playing with fire. 

There are good insurance pass rushers available. They need to sign one. Simple as that. Restructure a contract or 2, release a contract, trade someone. Whatever it takes to sign one. Again, I prefer Yannick, but that would mean making a significant trade. So no, I don’t expect that. But they can definitely create enough space for Ingram or Houston.

They have money. But beyond a pretty smallish bit, it's money they don't want to use unless some freakishly great opportunity somehow flashed into view.

The smallish bit is probably something up to $2 or $2.5M they could make available. Anyone available at this time of the year could very possible be gotten for that. Particularly with so many good DEs out there unsigned right now. IMO we'll see them sign someone fairly cheap out of the group of 9 or 10 good vet DEs. It might come late in the process to allow the players to skip minicamps and such that many older vets don't really want to attend anyway.

They don't need to sign one. It would be great to sign one, but it would be dumb to throw away the budget and sign one no matter what it would cost.

The way people always phrase this as "they can afford it," or "they can create enough," is ridiculous. Of course they can, but it would put them in a bad position next year or two or three. And next year people will say the same thing, and soon you end up having to cut guys you don't want to cut or can't sign guys you really do feel that you need.

I could borrow enough money from credit sources and ravaging retirement accounts and saving to buy myself to buy myself a Lambo. Not the Aston Martin Valkyrie I'd really like, but one of the cheapest Lambos is something I could do. But it would be a dumb idea, as it would ruin my budget in future years and eventually cost my family to lose something else I don't want to give up, and perhaps many things.

The way to say this is that they can or can't create enough space in a sensible manner that it won't come back to bite them. They seem to think they can't. That makes sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Man you’re replies are too long for my attention span.

I know how the cap works. I know the current contracts on the roster. I know what we can and can’t do. Beane can add to the roster. He’s choosing not to push more cap into the future or make other roster moves to create cap. I understand why he’s not doing. That’s one of the reasons I’m questioning his ability to get us where we want to go. We can’t worry too much about 2-3 years down the road. We are currently in a Super Bowl window. Poyer, Hyde, Diggs, and Miller aren’t going to be all pros forever.

That's not going to happen. We did that before he came here and he had to work his tail off to get us out of cap hell when he first arrived. He's not going to turn around and do the same thing himself.

A big part of Beane getting hired by Pegula was that he was going to be smarter about these things then his predecessors were. He's said time and again that his vision is to keep the team from ever having to do a tear down by acting reckless for a year or two. Whether you agree with it or not, it's foolish to expect him to do otherwise.

As long as Josh is playing at a high level, we are always in the window. Teams have done it with less than what we've had this year with a QB catching fire in a given year. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There is nothing to criticize about the signing. The criticism is for people thinking this signing means anything at all. It’s a nothing signing.

Edge is a need Beane hopefully fills by camp.

In a vacuum, Ray could have been a nothing signing.

But in the context of Von scheduled to not miss any time and at worst, a game or two, having Groot on the other side, still having Epenesa and Basham, bringing back Kingsley Jonathan, re-signing Shaq, claiming Cline, and now signing Ray - at a time where we have 88 players on the roster when he said he was planning on not bringing 90 to camp, 9 DE's already on the roster - the signing of Ray represents something else.

He said he was unable to sign a DE post draft. Reportedly, we offered Yannick an incentive deal he turned down. This makes it pretty obvious he tried to get one or more from the list and couldn't do it under the constraints we have. He said he would probably look to add "a" (singular) DE before Camp and was "kicking the tires on Ray" as that possibility. He then signed Ray.

I really don't see a 10th DE coming in. And I hope you don't throw another child like temper tantrum and fill the thread with "little baller Beane" comments if this is it like you did in the Hopkins thread. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's not going to happen. We did that before he came here and he had to work his tail off to get us out of cap hell when he first arrived. He's not going to turn around and do the same thing himself.

A big part of Beane getting hired by Pegula was that he was going to be smarter about these things then his predecessors were. He's said time and again that his vision is to keep the team from ever having to do a tear down by acting reckless for a year or two. Whether you agree with it or not, it's foolish to expect him to do otherwise.

As long as Josh is playing at a high level, we are always in the window. Teams have done it with less than what we've had this year with a QB catching fire in a given year. 

In a vacuum, Ray could have been a nothing signing.

But in the context of Von scheduled to not miss any time and at worst, a game or two, having Groot on the other side, still having Epenesa and Basham, bringing back Kingsley Jonathan, re-signing Shaq, claiming Cline, and now signing Ray - at a time where we have 88 players on the roster when he said he was planning on not bringing 90 to camp, 9 DE's already on the roster - the signing of Ray represents something else.

He said he was unable to sign a DE post draft. Reportedly, we offered Yannick an incentive deal he turned down. This makes it pretty obvious he tried to get one or more from the list and couldn't do it under the constraints we have. He said he would probably look to add "a" (singular) DE before Camp and was "kicking the tires on Ray" as that possibility. He then signed Ray.

I really don't see a 10th DE coming in. And I hope you don't throw another child like temper tantrum and fill the thread with "little baller Beane" comments if this is it like you did in the Hopkins thread. 

His edge moves this offseason are definitely Little Baller Beane moves. Lack of above average edge play will hurt us this year.

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wow.  The biggest Von Miller involvement in all of this (whether or not he had any influence) is him not taking a lot of snaps in camp.

Ray will be battling Kingsley and Cline for PS positions.  What is the big deal here?

It's NOT a big deal.

WHO said it was a BIG deal anyways?

WHY does everyone have to blow EVERYTHING out of proportion... I JUST SAID IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL!!!

2 hours ago, bostonadguy said:

I’m ashamed to say it, but I loved this song. Peaches and Herb were great,

Peaches and Herb are great but you should try it the other way around... the Herb and THEN the Peaches... that's really great.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

He was not a bust. Had 8 sacks his second year. Had 3 sacks in one game the next year. He underperformed for sure. But he's clearly capable when focused.

I have a good feeling about this signing. Could be a lorax type signing. If anything other DEs will be pushed by this guy, who sounds hungry and ready to work. I love players that take the CFL route. Again, I have this vibe he will be better than we think. 

What Is The Definition Of A Bust In Football?

1. A bust is a player who was drafted on the first day of the NFL draft and failed to meet expectations. A player who is labeled a bust is usually drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Like I said........he was CLEARLY a bust.

What a player was briefly "capable" of 7-8 years ago doesn't matter a bit in that regard........it's what the player accomplished in the 5 year rookie deal.

He had one productive season and injuries took him out.    Injuries don't exempt you from bust status it's only about production.

Now as for you calling Ray out as being "unfocused" I have no idea where you have come up with that analysis.  His primary issue has been injuries.   He couldn't stay on the field in the CFL either.     I wish him luck but your vibe isn't based in reality it's coming from an imaginary place where he's able to stay healthy......7 years ago.

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They have money. But beyond a pretty smallish bit, it's money they don't want to use unless some freakishly great opportunity somehow flashed into view.

The smallish bit is probably something up to $2 or $2.5M they could make available. Anyone available at this time of the year could very possible be gotten for that. Particularly with so many good DEs out there unsigned right now. IMO we'll see them sign someone fairly cheap out of the group of 9 or 10 good vet DEs. It might come late in the process to allow the players to skip minicamps and such that many older vets don't really want to attend anyway.

They don't need to sign one. It would be great to sign one, but it would be dumb to throw away the budget and sign one no matter what it would cost.

The way people always phrase this as "they can afford it," or "they can create enough," is ridiculous. Of course they can, but it would put them in a bad position next year or two or three. And next year people will say the same thing, and soon you end up having to cut guys you don't want to cut or can't sign guys you really do feel that you need.

I could borrow enough money from credit sources and ravaging retirement accounts and saving to buy myself to buy myself a Lambo. Not the Aston Martin Valkyrie I'd really like, but one of the cheapest Lambos is something I could do. But it would be a dumb idea, as it would ruin my budget in future years and eventually cost my family to lose something else I don't want to give up, and perhaps many things.

The way to say this is that they can or can't create enough space in a sensible manner that it won't come back to bite them. They seem to think they can't. That makes sense to me.

No, it’s not “dumb” to sign someone that helps your pass rush. 

I’ve kind of mentioned this before but what I want them to do is trade Ed Oliver and sign Yannick Ngakoue to a long-term contract. Multiple reasons. We load up at edge this season, have insurance for Von Miller or if Rousseau fails to take that next step. You can easily play Miller, Rousseau, and Ngakoue at the same time.

We would have a great 3 man rotation at edge. I would sign Matt Ioannidis DT a cheap deal as our 4th to rotate in.

So my plan is trade Oliver and sign DE Ngakoue and DT Matt Ioannidis. You can do this and save cap space this year believe it or not.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Picture it!

Obvious passing situations

Miller - Philips - Rousseau - Ngakoue 

Base Nickle

Rousseau - Jones - Ford - Ngakoue

Miller/Williams/Bernard - Milano

Yes, I would have Rousseau rushing from

3TDT because he’s amazing at it. Miller would rotate in at LB for base nickel with Dorian Williams and Bernard. Miller would play the Lorenzo Alexander roll from a few years ago. I loved that defensive scheme, just wasn’t as talented as we are today.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What Is The Definition Of A Bust In Football?

1. A bust is a player who was drafted on the first day of the NFL draft and failed to meet expectations. A player who is labeled a bust is usually drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Like I said........he was CLEARLY a bust.

What a player was briefly "capable" of 7-8 years ago doesn't matter a bit in that regard........it's what the player accomplished in the 5 year rookie deal.

He had one productive season and injuries took him out.    Injuries don't exempt you from bust status it's only about production.

Now as for you calling Ray out as being "unfocused" I have no idea where you have come up with that analysis.  His primary issue has been injuries.   He couldn't stay on the field in the CFL either.     I wish him luck but your vibe isn't based in reality it's coming from an imaginary place where he's able to stay healthy......7 years ago.

Funny how it’s never the GM/team that drafts the guy with the wrong pick that gets labeled as a bust. Its is the GM who blew the pick, not the player. It’s on the GM. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.