Should the Bills move Milano to MLB?

Bobby Hooks

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ok let's assume you are correct. Why could rookie Edmunds do it but rookie Williams can't? 

1) How do Virginia Tech and Tulane compare as far as level of competition/simplicity or complexity of defensive scheme?

2) Edmunds was a rookie in 2018.  What was the Bills W-L record in 2018? 

3) What were the Bills expectations for the season going into 2018 with Allen and Edmunds as rookies?

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

So I was saying that In a traditional 43 the mike will and Sam all have very defined roles 

in McDermotts nickel defense the 2 inside backers more resemble the roles of a traditional mike and will in a 34

both inside backers

This isn't in any sense meant to argue with you since you would know better than I, but while it's clear in some ways not just the two LB but the nickel have interdependent and interchangeable roles in his D (Frazier has talked about this some in pressers), clearly McDermott and Beane both seem to conceptualize Milano and the MLB has having different roles.  Beane referred to Milano as a "matchup linebacker" in his post FA presser where he answered the question whether the Bills would consider moving Milano to MLB.

Any comment on that?

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This isn't in any sense meant to argue with you since you would know better than I, but while it's clear in some ways not just the two LB but the nickel have interdependent and interchangeable roles in his D (Frazier has talked about this some in pressers), clearly McDermott and Beane both seem to conceptualize Milano and the MLB has having different roles.  Beane referred to Milano as a "matchup linebacker" in his post FA presser where he answered the question whether the Bills would consider moving Milano to MLB.

Any comment on that?

Again just because they are both playing inside backers in the nickel doesn’t mean they both have the same exact roles 

but the roles are a lot more similar to a MIKE and WILL backer in a 34 system … both are inside backers with varying roles …. The role of a WILL LBr in a base 43 is vastly different than a WILLS role in a 34 defense or Bills nickel 

25 years ago the Mike and Will in a 34 were still highly independent…. The last 15 years the best 34 backers have become more interchangeable 

Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman were interchangeable at the Mike and Will… the guess of who is Mike vs Will always kept teams on more guard… you couldn’t ID the Mike 

Now McDermott nickel defense has a little bit more defined roles … But when you’re running 2 inside linebackers the roles can still be defined pretty easy 

Milano lines up strongside as the WILL… And his primary gap will be the A gap… Since the three tech takes the B

The Mike responsibility is the B gap since the 1 tech has the A gap

The difference now between interchangeable backers and defined roles is Milano now usually always takes the move TE in coverage 

while the Mike takes RBs…. In a interchangeable roll they would flip responsibility more

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Milano is not a MLB.  He is, however, more than capable of making the calls on defense that Tremaine used to make.

He's smart enough. But doing that isn't just a matter of being smart. You've got to put yourself in everyone's place. It makes it tougher to be ready for the play, especially if they're running a lot of motion, quick snaps, etc. 

Milano's forte is explosion, penetration and causing havoc. That might be harder when you're having to think for everyone else before the snap.

They might have one of the safeties do it.

If they're running different MLBs in situationally, they wouldn't give the dot to them.

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

If Milano still weighs only 223, I'll eat my hair - starting at the roots.  I don't think that's what 6'0" 223 looks like.

But I don't think a few dozen wings would effect the type of physique change in Williams (or Bernard) we'd like to see.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Thanks Beck Water. I am just going to store these images somewhere for some *cough* private time.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

Our two safeties - Poyer and Hyde - are interchangeable.  They both can play strong or free.  This helps us disguise coverages.  

Maybe our two base D linebackers should be interchangeable.  Both good at run support though not Dick Butkus good.  Both good at coverage.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/5/2023 at 5:41 AM, Bobby Hooks said:

Alright, so hear me out. When we drafted Dorian Williams, i was like “cool, we got our guy!” But was surprised to hear that they think of him more like an olb. 

Does anyone else think they may try to shift Milano to the middle and have Dorian take his spot? 

I know Milano doesn’t have the prototypical size, but McDermott loves him and is always in his ear on the sidelines. 

The communication aspect would be taken care of (as I kind of see him taking the qb of the defense role already this season), and he’s definitely got the goods in the coverage aspects of the job. 

He’s got great instincts. Idk, maybe there’s a piece I haven’t considered but I just don’t know what they plan to do at the position. Maybe someone already on the roster for obvious running downs, and a change-up for passing downs? 

Not only shouldn't we do it, Beane has already specifically said in multiple interviews since the draft that we won't be doing it.  So there really honestly isn't something to discuss here, because it is definitely not happening.  

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not only shouldn't we do it, Beane has already specifically said in multiple interviews since the draft that we won't be doing it.  So there really honestly isn't something to discuss here, because it is definitely not happening.  

LOL try to keep up, Alpha, we've already learned that coachspeak doesn't matter and if their plan was to move Milano to MLB:

21 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I don’t believe for a second they’d tell us that. Because it would leave him open to criticism if he didn’t have the job come September. 

🙄😅

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:41 AM, Bobby Hooks said:

Alright, so hear me out. When we drafted Dorian Williams, i was like “cool, we got our guy!” But was surprised to hear that they think of him more like an olb. 

Does anyone else think they may try to shift Milano to the middle and have Dorian take his spot? 

I know Milano doesn’t have the prototypical size, but McDermott loves him and is always in his ear on the sidelines. 

The communication aspect would be taken care of (as I kind of see him taking the qb of the defense role already this season), and he’s definitely got the goods in the coverage aspects of the job. 

He’s got great instincts. Idk, maybe there’s a piece I haven’t considered but I just don’t know what they plan to do at the position. Maybe someone already on the roster for obvious running downs, and a change-up for passing downs? 

ABSOLUTELY  NOT!

He is a 1st team all pro at his current position.  You’re idea weakens the entire team on all three levels.

Dorian or one of the others are faster, twitchier, and can cover slot WR’s which is Beane’s Phil. Shift.

Hes able to do this by an immovable object in Daquan Jones, a wonderful pick up in Poona as a

penetrator, and the others shifting around.  

Beane’s point is to get faster at

level 2 get more power at level 1. And bigger when necessary at level three swapping Rapp for Taron when needed for a heavy TE set.

It makes complete sense, and more

power in Torrence as well as size and catch % in Kincaid.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:53 AM, Bobby Hooks said:

Maybe they’re unleashing a brand new hybrid mlb/olb roving backer scheme?! 

You don’t know who the mlb is until it’s too late! 

who tf is the Mike ? lol

This thread was kind of put to bed yesterday when Beane said on Rome that he does expect Williams to play mlb eventually. 

Feel free to continue discussing but this thought was mostly brought on because originally it sounded to me that they envisioned him playing olb. 

Sounds like that’s just where they want him to start to learn the system and bring him along slowly. 

I’m personally hoping he wins the gig in training camp and never relinquishes the spot. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

This thread was kind of put to bed yesterday when Beane said on Rome that he does expect Williams to play mlb eventually. 

Feel free to continue discussing but this thought was mostly brought on because originally it sounded to me that they envisioned him playing olb. 

Sounds like that’s just where they want him to start to learn the system and bring him along slowly. 

I’m personally hoping he wins the gig in training camp and never relinquishes the spot. 

No disrespect but Beane already stated MIlano wasn’t switching positions and staying where he was multiple times before you even started this thread.  So not sure why his comment yesterday changed anything given this was a non starter before this thread even began.

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect but Beane already stated MIlano wasn’t switching positions and staying where he was multiple times before you even started this thread.  So not sure why his comment yesterday changed anything given this was a non starter before this thread even began.

Maybe read the thread? 

All of your day late questions will be answered. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Maybe read the thread? 

All of your day late questions will be answered. 

I did, and it was just a several days late thread on something Beane directly and clearly already shot down multiple times despite some people trying to spin it otherwise.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I did, and it was just a several days late thread on something Beane directly and clearly already shot down multiple times despite some people trying to spin it otherwise.  

Cool opinion. Can you send me a link of your last thread? I’d like an example of what is an acceptable conversation in the offseason. 

• Eyeroll 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:41 AM, Bobby Hooks said:

If we did, I would be even more upset that we did not draft Nolan Smith.  I am excited to have Kincaid, but I also believe Nolan Smith will be a difference maker on Defense. 

• Disagree 1

I went back and watched the Steelers game just to watch Tyrell Dodson. My conclusion is that it was a mixed bag. Their certainly looked to be a lot of confusion and some very obvious communication issues going on between he and Milano early on. Dodson was all over the place making tackles and cleaning up, and for the most part was in the right place. As one would expect he was pretty bad in coverage especially in the few times he wound up in man to man situations on the tight end. He just looked confused the majority of the game but did settle down near the end. The Steelers kind of settled into a simple 2x2 offense down big. With all that said, the defense only gave up three points and while there weren’t any amazing splash plays, Dodson was solid, and I think that is what they are looking for. 

I think he has a shot, but there is definitely more upside in Williams, with Spector and Bernard also having some pretty interesting upside as well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/6/2023 at 3:18 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

If we did, I would be even more upset that we did not draft Nolan Smith.  I am excited to have Kincaid, but I also believe Nolan Smith will be a difference maker on Defense. 

He’s a sub 240 pass rusher-  I love the guy too, but not for our scheme.  He’s just not a fit. 

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

Since you asked.   Because we think its ridiculous and you just wanted to earn some points by posting 

Earn points? I don’t even know what that means. So… nope. 

I will explain this ONE last time. When they said they envisioned Williams as an olb I thought that was strange, and naturally as a fan of the team, I tried figuring out what the plan was. 

You guys act like this was such a silly thought, but firstly it’s the offseason, and secondly this thread did go to 10 pages and over 5,000 views with lots of interesting thoughts and opinions added. So not everyone thought it was ridiculous. Shaw eventually posted that he heard on Rome that they do see Williams playing mlb eventually and that was that. 

I will ask you what I’ve asked a few others, can you please drop a link of your last offseason thread so I can see an example of what you consider acceptable? For the record, you brought this back, it was pretty much done. No one had commented in 12 hours, so… kinda conflicting behavior, no? You think it’s ridiculous so you search it out and bump it a half day after it disappears? Seems odd. 

Care to explain, Herb? 

Also, does making threads earn you points? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:32 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Again just because they are both playing inside backers in the nickel doesn’t mean they both have the same exact roles 

but the roles are a lot more similar to a MIKE and WILL backer in a 34 system … both are inside backers with varying roles …. The role of a WILL LBr in a base 43 is vastly different than a WILLS role in a 34 defense or Bills nickel 

25 years ago the Mike and Will in a 34 were still highly independent…. The last 15 years the best 34 backers have become more interchangeable 

Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman were interchangeable at the Mike and Will… the guess of who is Mike vs Will always kept teams on more guard… you couldn’t ID the Mike 

Now McDermott nickel defense has a little bit more defined roles … But when you’re running 2 inside linebackers the roles can still be defined pretty easy 

Milano lines up strongside as the WILL… And his primary gap will be the A gap… Since the three tech takes the B

The Mike responsibility is the B gap since the 1 tech has the A gap

The difference now between interchangeable backers and defined roles is Milano now usually always takes the move TE in coverage 

while the Mike takes RBs…. In a interchangeable roll they would flip responsibility more

Well written. Well spoken. Great grasp of our defense. The bills want to make Milano a Thomas Davis. But he is arguably better. We don't have a keuchly. But you never were quite sure of the roles of either and Edmunds fit bus better than keuchly who was a bigger liability in coverage. Shaq Thompson took Klein's role as the outside backer in that defense, fwiw. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Well written. Well spoken. Great grasp of our defense. The bills want to make Milano a Thomas Davis. But he is arguably better. We don't have a keuchly. But you never were quite sure of the roles of either and Edmunds fit bus better than keuchly who was a bigger liability in coverage. Shaq Thompson took Klein's role as the outside backer in that defense, fwiw. 

Thank you 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.