Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

5 hours ago, mrags said:

You do realize that was over 3 days worth. It’s not like they had 700k every day. You have almost 80k show up to the Stadium on a regular Sunday throughout the season and that’s basically just for the Bills. You could easily double that when you throw in every single NFL team and their rabid fan bases in there. 

Im not saying they would break that record, im simply saying 700k is not an accurate number based off the argument your making. 

1million showed up in Niagara Falls I believe and NF isn’t as big as Buffalo. I don’t know for sure how crazy it was, I was out of town. But I know many people that work in law enforcement and there were definitely assumptions that 1m+ would be in the surrounding areas. 

if they were to do a draft in Buffalo it would likely be down near the Harbor. Only logical place for it. Rail goes right there, highway entrances very nearby. Open space for it. Near the water. Near Canada. Only place I could see that might be more doable is Niagara Square. Unless they were to hold it right at the new/old stadium in OP. There’s plenty of space but no amenities near by. Maybe they do it in place of the old Ralph after it’s torn down. Or maybe they do it in either stadium. Idk. Definitely possible though. 

They’d have to do the draft in Buffalo-proper. Likely in Pegulavile at / near KeyBank arena. There’s simply nothing to do in OP, nowhere to eat, shop, sh—, sightsee. iirc, the recent drafts aren’t at or near that city’s football stadium. Detroit’s this year was in the downtown.

2 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Some pics of the "experience" (not mine but came from the Season Ticket discussion group)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4UN5LqegenFBSYtp8

Nice 👍🏼.

17 minutes ago, UConn James said:

They’d have to do the draft in Buffalo-proper. Likely in Pegulavile at / near KeyBank arena. There’s simply nothing to do in OP, nowhere to eat, shop, sh—, sightsee. iirc, the recent drafts aren’t at or near that city’s football stadium. Detroit’s this year was in the downtown.

Nice 👍🏼.

Yup. That’s why I said the harbor or Niagara square would likely be the best spots for it. Bit you never know. I imagine next year in Green Bay it will be at or in the stadium. There really isn’t anywhere else. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, beerme1 said:

Ok but Pilot Field was built in the mid 80's with the capability of adding a second deck in case, well, you know.

It was great then but stadium design has advanced since. Why it never occurred to anyone that concourses shouldn't be open to see the game is wild. Seems obvious.

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Did they? I live in NJ so I wouldn't know. I didn't hear anything about that.

There was expectations there would be over 1m visitors for the eclipse. There wasn’t. But they we’re expecting it. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Some pics of the "experience" (not mine but came from the Season Ticket discussion group)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4UN5LqegenFBSYtp8

Thanks for sharing.  Maybe I'm spoiled or ungrateful, but I find the whole new stadium thing to be underwhelming and more of a negative.  For all the negativity about pricing, PSL's, and the affect on longtime fans, seeing the new stadium just makes me angry.  Maybe I was expecting more out of it, but I just feel like it'd rather keep things as they are.  I don't see an overwhelming improvement with this new stadium that makes the experience drastically better and worth all the hassle that's come along with it.  I know that's naïve and the stadium has structural issues, but this outcome just feels like a step in the wrong direction for the city and the fans.  It's soured my opinion on the Pegulas and the NFL, and only reinforces the money grab this stadium has turned out to be

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Thanks for sharing.  Maybe I'm spoiled or ungrateful, but I find the whole new stadium thing to be underwhelming and more of a negative.  For all the negativity about pricing, PSL's, and the affect on longtime fans, seeing the new stadium just makes me angry.  Maybe I was expecting more out of it, but I just feel like it'd rather keep things as they are.  I know that's naïve and the stadium has structural issues, but this outcome just feels like a step in the wrong direction for the city and the fans.  It's soured my opinion on the Pegulas and the NFL, and only reinforces the money grab this stadium has turned out to be

Couldn’t have says it better. I used to be excited about this thing. Been looking forward to it for years actually. Couldn’t wait to go and pick my seats. Now, meh. I think more and more an out saving my PSL money and over $5k a year I spend on tix. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Draconator said:

I live less than 5 miles from the stadium, spunky.

Assuming you go outside or have looked out a window during a windy, rainy day in WNY, you know that rain can be going pretty much sideways or at an angle in which an overhead shelter is practically useless.

FWIW worth, I've always been anti-dome, having experienced the circus-tent-like atmosphere in the Georgia Dome.

But, the newer enclosed stadiums that allow plenty of natural light have changed my mind.  

Supposedly, the open air stadium is (at least in part) a result of the fan survey that gave fans an opportunity to express their preference of the proposed stadium.  Odd, but almost everyone I know says just the opposite. I suspect the Pegulas just didn't want the added expense. Too bad.

I think the weather advantage for the Bills is exaggerated.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

Assuming you go outside or have looked out a window during a windy, rainy day in WNY, you know that rain can be going pretty much sideways or at an angle in which an overhead shelter is practically useless.

FWIW worth, I've always been anti-dome, having experienced the circus-tent-like atmosphere in the Georgia Dome.

But, the newer enclosed stadiums that allow plenty of natural light have changed my mind.  

Supposedly, the open air stadium is (at least in part) a result of the fan survey that gave fans an opportunity to express their preference of the proposed stadium.  Odd, but almost everyone I know says just the opposite. I suspect the Pegulas just didn't want the added expense. Too bad.

My point is that the new stadium being fully enclosed, would greatly cut down on the sideways wind/rain/snow. Will it still affect play and fan comfort? Yes. Will it be the annoying wind chill tunnel where your beer freezes in less than 3 minutes? No. I don't believe so. And let's not forget the amazing tag line that the exterior of the new stadium will cause "wind confusion". That has to account for something, right?

33 minutes ago, mrags said:

There was expectations there would be over 1m visitors for the eclipse. There wasn’t. But they we’re expecting it. 

A good number lived close enough to change plans when the weather forecast came out. I think they all went to Northern New England where it was sunny. Some people didn't get home for 12 hours.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

A good number lived close enough to change plans when the weather forecast came out. I think they all went to Northern New England where it was sunny. Some people didn't get home for 12 hours.

Yeah I was gonna say New England got very busy I heard. 

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

My point is that the new stadium being fully enclosed, would greatly cut down on the sideways wind/rain/snow. Will it still affect play and fan comfort? Yes. Will it be the annoying wind chill tunnel where your beer freezes in less than 3 minutes? No. I don't believe so. And let's not forget the amazing tag line that the exterior of the new stadium will cause "wind confusion". That has to account for something, right?

The domed stadiums I’ve been in can’t compare to the Bills game day experience.  Maybe it’s the structure or maybe it’s the fans.  Maybe both.  Just wish the canopy could’ve been more like the donut hole in the old Cowboys place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

The domed stadiums I’ve been in can’t compare to the Bills game day experience.  Maybe it’s the structure or maybe it’s the fans.  Maybe both.  Just wish the canopy could’ve been more like the donut hole in the old Cowboys place.

Sorry. I was at the Bills-Pats -5 playoff game and I'll never do that again, despite the outcome. 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry. I was at the Bills-Pats -5 playoff game and I'll never do that again, despite the outcome. 

The worst game I remember was that Steeler game that we needed to win to get in, and they played bench sitters.  Cold and wet and windy.  I think the NFL wants Buffalo to play in the elements, especially snow.  Must watch TV.

44 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Agree.  Having been in the old Georgia Dome for the last Bills Super Bowl and the Carrier Dome, I was turned off by covered stadia until I went to the Vikings home.  That stadium is airy, gorgeous and has tons of natural light and I believe windows that open at one end.  Love that building.  

There’s a lot of negativity about a stadium that hasn’t even been built yet, and 99% of us haven’t been able to “experience” the presentation of the proposed building. 

I get it’s the internet and people use it as a venue to b-word about everything, but jeezus!

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Agree.  Having been in the old Georgia Dome for the last Bills Super Bowl and the Carrier Dome, I was turned off by covered stadia until I went to the Vikings home.  That stadium is airy, gorgeous and has tons of natural light and I believe windows that open at one end.  Love that building.  

There’s a lot of negativity about a stadium that hasn’t even been built yet, and 99% of us haven’t been able to “experience” the presentation of the proposed building. 

I get it’s the internet and people use it as a venue to b-word about everything, but jeezus!

I'm sure the stadium will be great.

It just that I believe it could have been pleasing to the greatest number of potential attendees it were more like the Vikings or the proposed KC stadiums.  Us baby boomers are a huge portion of the population and often the ones with the $$ to spend on PSLs and season tickets. For many of this generation, many of whom suffer from arthritis, joint replacements, and other minor ailments, we may have no other choice but to opt out for late season games in which the cold makes the experience uncomfortable.  I'm fortunate that I don't have those issues...yet. But, if I want to take my wife to a game in December or January, her titanium knees and hip would not be very forgiving.  

On the plus side (for some), there should be ample available tickets in the secondary market for late season games.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I heard just getting from the Lake Placid/Plattsburgh area to Albany, that would normally take about 2 hours, was taking 6+ hours.  

I went to Oswego County and saw lots of New Jersey and Pennsylvania plates on the ride up and back.  Since I know the back roads, I was able to avoid a lot of the highway driving.  

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Watertown was expecting almost 175,000.  They did not get that many.

Watertown restaurant loses thousands after smaller-than-expected eclipse crowds | WWTI - InformNNY.com

Edited by Just Jack

42 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Watertown was expecting almost 175,000.  They did not get that many.

Watertown restaurant loses thousands after smaller-than-expected eclipse crowds | WWTI - InformNNY.com

That's a shame but I don't think many folks were planning a long stay. Totality was a 140 mile drive from my house. I packed food and drink, got to Lyndon, Vermont, saw the eclipse and got in my car and left the second it was over. Smart move too. Authorities were asking people to not leave right away? Lol, those folks got back to Boston at 4am. I was home by 6pm beating the rush.