12 of 32 2020 5th yr options picked up. Bills 100% since 2017

CorkScrewHill

McBeane take a lot of garbage around here but in a league where more guys fail than succeed the Bills have not had a flop of a first rounder (would like more out of Ed but when he is a free agent he will get a big contract from someone.

Tre, Allen, Tremaine have all landed huge contracts and Ed and Greg will as well. 

Maybe if you look at success rates one should compare to how other front offices are doing. In the case of 2020 first rounders that is 37.5%.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/03/only-12-first-round-picks-from-2020-had-their-fifth-year-option-exercised/

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

• CorkScrewHill changed the title to 12 of 32 2020 5th yr options picked up. Bills 100% since 2017
6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

The ultimate goal is about winning, particularly in the playoffs, not about contracts.  

It's about winning. And we are winning far more than we have for decades, and far more than nearly all NFL teams in this period.

Every year, 31 teams are angry and frustrated. We're still in that 31 and not the other one, but the FO has put together a consistently excellent team.

They are doing a terrific job.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I am not a Beane hater at all but not sure this is really a good measurement. Beane decides to pick them up or not.   A think of beanes picks we are only talking Edmunds and Oliver.   Both were somewhat questionable.  There is a lot of chatter on getting rid of Oliver’s guaranteed number this year.   Edmunds had his detractors also.   

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

100% correct. Beane has not had a 1st rounder bust. People can question whether Tremaine ever fulfilled his full potential and can ask the same with Ed but they are both, unquestionably, good NFL players. 

If only his record on day 2 was as good. I think Beane has been one of the best round 1 drafters and one of the best day 3 drafters. His day two record...

Harrison Phillips (never a starter and walked after 1 contract)

Cody Ford (never nailed a starting role and traded after 3 seasons)

Devin Singletary (starter but walked after 1 contract)

Dawson Knox (good starter, re-signed to a second contract)

AJ Epenesa (never been more than a rotational player going into contract year)

Zack Moss (traded away early in 3rd year)

Boogie Basham (still buried on the depth chart going into year 3)

Spencer Brown (starter who showed some flashes as a rookie, bad second season, going into vital 3rd year)

Won't breakdown Cook and Bernard as 1 year probably isn't sufficient to take a view but it's a poor record with Dawson Knox the one success story. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The players that Beane drafted have gotten us 4 playoff wins so far after the Bills hadn't even been to the playoffs the prior 17 years.

Correction, Allen has gotten us 4 playoff wins.  Most of Beane's biggest draft picks that you refer to have flopped come playoff time.  And we have yet to advance beyond the divisional round more than once generally having underachieved.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Eyeroll 2

19 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Correction, Allen has gotten us 4 playoff wins.  Most of Beane's biggest draft picks that you refer to have flopped come playoff time.  And we have yet to advance beyond the divisional round more than once generally having underachieved.  

A GM is supposed to get players to get to the playoffs and position a team for a run. The best team does not always win in the playoffs as they are one and done games. When the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots the Giants weren’t the better team they just happened to get hot and a bit lucky. The Bills management has built a team that will compete for a while and hopefully they will go on one of those runs by avoiding key injuries, playing well, and getting a few lucky bounces along the way. I do agree with @GunnerBill that they have been lacking in the 2nd and 3 rd rounds but overall compared to their peers McBeane has done admirably in the drafting of players 

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am not a Beane hater at all but not sure this is really a good measurement. Beane decides to pick them up or not.   A think of beanes picks we are only talking Edmunds and Oliver.   Both were somewhat questionable.  There is a lot of chatter on getting rid of Oliver’s guaranteed number this year.   Edmunds had his detractors also.   

Neither is questionable- Oliver will get at least $10 million a year next year and Edmunds is making $18 million a year, both are good deals for team 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Neither is questionable- Oliver will get at least $10 million a year next year and Edmunds is making $18 million a year, both are good deals for team 

I can understand that argument to an extent.  Free agents get over paid just because a guy gets paid a year after the 5th year option does not mean it was the right choice.  Even so I forgot Allen so beanes  100% is a sample of three.   I can see Rousseau getting his picked up too so you have to say beane has a good first round history.  Hitting on Josh is reason enough for me.  I do think Oliver as 9 overall has not delivered to his draft position.  I am hoping for a strong contract year from him.   

Beane has only made three first round picks who have been eligible to have their fifth-year option picked up. Of those, only Josh Allen has been extended.  Not exactly a great track record. Nice try, though.

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

The ultimate goal is about winning, particularly in the playoffs, not about contracts.  

They go hand in hand, surprised someone of your “football IQ” doesn’t grasp such a basic concept…, 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Overall I think this regime has done a better than average job of drafting. How often a GM picked up the 5th year options on the players he drafted has only a little impact on that opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Overall I think this regime has done a better than average job of drafting. How often a GM picked up the 5th year options on the players he drafted has only a little impact on that opinion. 

Agreed, I am just saying picking up 5th year options should not be the measuring stick.  It is one piece of information.

• Agree 1

You can go around and around on this but the fact remains that if Josh Allen didn’t turn into the QB he’s become EVERYTHING else about this team changes and it’s pretty likely that Beane would be gone. That’s not intended in any way as Beane bashing, it’s just the simple truth. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.