12 of 32 2020 5th yr options picked up. Bills 100% since 2017

CorkScrewHill

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Actually most fans don't. Most of us think the decision to pick up the options made good sense. Bills were not in a position to move on from Edmunds in 2022 and they are not ready to move on from Oliver in 2023. 

Not committing huge dollars long term to Edmunds was correct. Letting Oliver walk after 2023 will also be the right decision. 

If they’d declined Oliver’s fifth year option, they’d be in a fine position to sign his replacement.  You could get similar production for a fraction of his price tag.

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Actually most fans don't. Most of us think the decision to pick up the options made good sense. Bills were not in a position to move on from Edmunds in 2022 and they are not ready to move on from Oliver in 2023. 

Not committing huge dollars long term to Edmunds was correct. Letting Oliver walk after 2023 will also be the right decision. 

I think you are wrong but I would love to be proven wrong. So you think most fans think Oliver’s cap hit is worthy? I know for a fact fans hated the Edmunds number entering last season. Edmunds was the whipping boy here.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

15 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am not a Beane hater at all but not sure this is really a good measurement. Beane decides to pick them up or not.   A think of beanes picks we are only talking Edmunds and Oliver.   Both were somewhat questionable.  There is a lot of chatter on getting rid of Oliver’s guaranteed number this year.   Edmunds had his detractors also.   

That chatter is from the fans. Beane has stood pretty firm on his beliefs. I enjoy having meaningful football past week 10 personally.

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

That chatter is from the fans. Beane has stood pretty firm on his beliefs. I enjoy having meaningful football past week 10 personally.

Belichick is considered the greatest coach in NFL history for 1 reason, his QB he drafted. Brandon Beane is considered a good GM because of the QB he drafted. 

I read a quote today that Beane doesn’t want to go all in and risk a tear down. He believes they can go for it without going all in. This guy will only win a Super Bowl if Allen goes super human.

If fans can remember Darcy Regier, that’s Brandon Beane. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Dislike 1

51 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What are you talking about? Both players had their options picked up.  Edmunds wasn't extended. And we don't know what is going to happen with Oliver.

My mistake 

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

As I’ve predicted they will sign one of Davis and Oliver. Davis will sign a 2nd tier WR contract around $14 million per season this summer. Oliver will walk in UFA. Look for Davis to sign a similar deal as Knox last year.

I think this is a good position to be in WRT Oliver.  I think he’s the kind of guy who will play his best football in a contract year like this one…

12 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Let's focus on the latter three years as a good GM improves his team over time.  
- as a GM you look to keep your team competitive . Last years Chiefs were not as good their team from 3 years ago, but they were competitive and things played out for them in the playoffs.

Baltimore is the only one.  You're really not going to cite NE with Jones in his rookie season and not a WR to mention on the team,  at home for us, are you?  I'd hardly call that a feat.  

- well I also counted Houston and Jacksonville

I'm not sure how that is demonstrating how the D didn't show up.  We also no-showed, at home, for Cincy before Hamlin got hurt in that game, it's hardly as if we were shutting them down.  
- now we are talking regular season .. if you want to do that we were 13-3 including beating KC in KC

In five of those playoff games we allowed over 32 PPG.  That's good?   
- the D has only given up 32 points in two of those games both to the top offense KC. Maybe your problem is you are getting your data from bad sources.

We must have different standards. 
- Definitely!

This past season was a complete debacle and everyone knows it, we can make excuses, but vs. the Bengals in the regular season game

- the playoffs were a debacle agreed. Micah Parsons, a guy who plays football at a pretty high level recently stated that the team was understandably emotionally drained for the playoffs. As for the regular season they were 13-3 .. by my standards that is not a debacle but as you pointed out we have different standards.

i did not respond to all of your points as this is a message board not a place for essays and I will not respond further because there will be no convincing you and you will not convince me.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

We must have different standards. 

- Definitely!

Without question.

We've allowed an average of 393 yards in the playoffs in our 7 playoff games over the last three seasons, worse than any other team in the playoffs, and worse than KC's crappy 11th, 27th, and 16th defenses by nearly 50 ypg.  

You defend that as being decent, I do not.  

Absolutely we have different standards.  

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You're wrong.  We picked up the 5th year option on both Edmunds and Oliver. 

Yes. Acknowledged that a couple of posts back. Your late to the game. 

Edited by Chaos

22 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Letting Oliver walk after 2023 will also be the right decision. 

That’s TBD. I think a large reason why we kept Oliver on the option is to see how he performs in his last two years. If he blows it up the Bills could sign him long term and make cuts elsewhere. 

I agree it is likely that does not materialize, but it’s an option and why he was given the 5th year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.