Bills Sign UDFA 6’6 WR Shavers (Reportedly 3 year deal)

Warriorspikes51

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Likely little interest in Kumerow league wide due to injury and surgery.  I'm guessing no one signs him till medically cleared.  Could see the Bills signing him to PS as insurance against injury elsewhere on roster.  But Rodgers may want him for Jets

You mean nobody wants a 33 year old with like 10 career catches? 

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

depends upon the terms.  UDFA normally sign for 3 years.

That implies a flexibility that is not quite accurate.  Teams have an assigned pool of money they can use to give players signing bonuses, between $150-200k.  The base salary is set at $750,000 and the team can give as little or as much signing bonus as they want to a given rookie - provided the sum of the signing bonuses they give all their FA fall within their pool.

7th round draft picks get closer to $770-780k salary and signing bonuses of $77k to $100k.  The rare UDFA may get as much or more signing bonus, but I don't think it's that common.

The advantage of being an UDFA is mostly the player can pick what team they sign with, vs. "we drafted you, you wanna play, you play for us".  They also get to shop around in FA after year 3 vs waiting until after year 4, but the RFA tender may limit their market. 

Neither of those are advantages to be sneezed at, but I don't think "ability to negotiate better deals" improves many UDFA contracts above what 6 or 7 rounders get.  They have to be a helluva find to get half the pool as their signing bonus.

I believe we already have.  Jaquan Johnson also (signed with LVR)

I don't disagree with you at all. I speak from one anecdotal experience and then reading about some of this happening. In the early pp's a family friend was looking at a possible late round draft pick. His agent did not like the options he was likely to get through the draft on the teams that were calling and saying he was on their radar. Somehow, the agent was able to decline some drafting options to let him fall to UDFA status. The guy went to a super bowl contending team to backup a HOF player for 3 or 4 years on a UDFA contract where he was a PS player for most of it.

He had many interesting stories about his PS players are treated, and they're not given a second rate treatment. They're no star but they're well taken care of beyond the $$. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Hopefully we can say ba-bye to Jones and Kumerow

It's time to start trimming the fat on the ST player contracts. Guys like Metakavich, Jones, Kumerow etc are being phased out for guys like Spector, this guy, Dorian Williams, all on cheaper rookie contracts. Hopefully this guy is as described by that guy up above. May be a steal for the Bills.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Actually it's 27 catches, but he was on the roster for ST play and if needed, could contribute when called upon.  The Bills were pretty healthy at WR excluding slot which he didn't play so they didn't need him very often on offense.  Late half of this past year likely could have used him, but he was hurt himself.

18 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Drafted players - 1st round pick, 4yr deal w/ 5th year option

- All other picks 4yr deal.

UDFAs               - 3yr deal

Got it...not sure why I thought UDFAs were signed to lesser deals 

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Got it...not sure why I thought UDFAs were signed to lesser deals 

Mainly it is because they end up being cut. Put on PS and then have to sign futures. Tricks people into thinking they were one year deals. 

the reality is when that PS player makes the team after camp. Stays on team all season He doesn’t have to be re-signed in offseason. Still would have 2 years left 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

There a lot of WRs on the team now.  Which won't make it?

Diggs, Davis, & Shakir will be there.  Just signed Hasty & Sherfield.  Two TEs, one supposedly playing slot now.  

Did we go with 7 last year to start the season? If so, we are good. Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Hardy, Sherfield and the two rookies. 

29 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

It's time to start trimming the fat on the ST player contracts. Guys like Metakavich, Jones, Kumerow etc are being phased out for guys like Spector, this guy, Dorian Williams, all on cheaper rookie contracts. Hopefully this guy is as described by that guy up above. May be a steal for the Bills.

Not only cutting salary but also providing development potential.  Metakavich, Jones, and Kumerow are what they are at this point and aren't going to develop into starters.  Shavers and Shorter, however, might.  Good teams that can't afford to bring along players on the regular roster do this all the time....Think Julian Edelman.  He wasn't ready to be a starter, having previously played QB, but he could contribute on special teams and as a backup while he learned the position.

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

There a lot of WRs on the team now.  Which won't make it?

Diggs, Davis, & Shakir will be there.  Just signed Hasty & Sherfield.  Two TEs, one supposedly playing slot now.  

I think we may carry a 7th WR as opposed to a 4th RB like we have in the past. 

Someone like Shavers as WR7 as opposed to Taiwan Jones as RB4. 

Allen/Allen (2)

Cook/Harris/Hines (3)

Gilliam (1)

Diggs/Davis/Shakir/Harty/Sherfield/Shorter/Shavers (7)

Knox/Kincaid/Morris (3) 

Dawkins/Brown/Morse/Bates/McGovern/Torrence/

Edwards/Doyle (8) 

Rousseau/Basham/Lawson/Epenesa/Miller (5)

Jones/Oliver/Settle/Phillips (4)

Milano/Bernard/Williams/Dodson/Matakevich (5)

White/Elam/Benford/Johnson/Jackson/Neal (6)

Hyde/Poyer/Rapp/Hamlin (4) 

Martin/Bass/Ferguson (3) 

That’s 51/53

It would leave the following guys competing for the last 2 spots (3 with Von likely starting on the PUP). 

Broeker, Quessenberry, Boettger (OL)

Jonathan/Ankou/Bryant (DL)

Klein/Spector (LB)

Austin/Lewis (DB) 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

How many on the roster to start the season is the critical number. I think it is typically 6 or 7. I want to say we have had 7 the last couple of years. 

I think they had 7 last year, not sure what they will do this year with adding a TE. Not sure if his backup might be a slot wr.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Somewhat off topic but I saw Josh speak at UB a couple weeks ago and he said that his touchdown to Kumerow against the Broncos during the 2020 season was his favorite touchdown pass he’s ever thrown. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.