Bills Sign UDFA 6’6 WR Shavers (Reportedly 3 year deal)

Warriorspikes51

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Don't hold your breath on Matakevich since we just re-signed him, and he's pretty established as the ST tonesetter and captain until someone unseats him.

But I think you're correct that Jones and Kumerow and Jaquan Johnson are gone, in favor of Trent Sherfield (who can actually play WR), Zayne Anderson, and maybe 1 of our 2 new rookie WR

Beane has been pretty clear on the point that if you aren't starting on the Bills, you need to play ST.

Could be a look to the future in that area Tyler might not be gone this year, but I think he’s just on a one-year contract

I don’t look at Dorian Williams as a special teams player only the guy can play

11 hours ago, Doc said:

I don't see much of a battle.  I think they keep 7 WRs with Short and Shavers making it and Dezmon Patmon, Keesean Johnson and Isaiah Couter being goners unless one of them surprises.  Now if they get DHop...

The battles for who was actually going to be on the team are probably looking pretty concrete. However, he gets playing time might be up in the air.

Diggs Davis Shakir Sherfield

Harti will need to show that he’s back from the foot injury

Shorter could eat into minutes

I’ll tell you what I like I like that the majority of our wide receivers have some good sides to them I’m not a big fan unless you are a specific player with a specific skill set I like big high catch radius, sure handed receivers

21 hours ago, PBF81 said:

There a lot of WRs on the team now.  Which won't make it?

Diggs, Davis, & Shakir will be there.  Just signed Hasty & Sherfield.  Two TEs, one supposedly playing slot now.  

I think the wide receiver room is probably settled at this point. Diggs and Davis will start outside. Hasty or Shakir will start in the slot. Hasty will also play wide from time to time. Shorter will be the Jake Kumerow - backup outside guy and a primary ST gunner. Sherfield will be the depth guy everywhere... he can play inside, outside and on teams. 

I'd be shocked if anyone other than those 6 makes the roster subject to injuries and some big trade..

The tight end room will be Knox, Kincaid and Morris and I think it is 75% certain that the running backs will be Cook, Harris and Hines (who will also be the primary returner) with Gilliam as the FB/TE hybrid. 

The only genuine position battles I see on offense are on the offensive line, otherwise I think the offensive roster is close to set. 

The defensive roster is where the intrigue lies this spring and summer IMO.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The battles for who was actually going to be on the team are probably looking pretty concrete. However, he gets playing time might be up in the air.

Diggs Davis Shakir Sherfield

Harti will need to show that he’s back from the foot injury

Shorter could eat into minutes

I’ll tell you what I like I like that the majority of our wide receivers have some good sides to them I’m not a big fan unless you are a specific player with a specific skill set I like big high catch radius, sure handed receivers

I would hope Harty's foot injury was already healed before they signed him.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the wide receiver room is probably settled at this point. Diggs and Davis will start outside. Hasty or Shakir will start in the slot. Hasty will also play wide from time to time. Shorter will be the Jake Kumerow - backup outside guy and a primary ST gunner. Sherfield will be the depth guy everywhere... he can play inside, outside and on teams. 

I'd be shocked if anyone other than those 6 makes the roster subject to injuries and some big trade..

The tight end room will be Knox, Kincaid and Morris and I think it is 75% certain that the running backs will be Cook, Harris and Hines (who will also be the primary returner) with Gilliam as the FB/TE hybrid. 

The only genuine position battles I see on offense are on the offensive line, otherwise I think the offensive roster is close to set. 

If Shavers proves to be a ST's stud, I can see him sticking and replacing Taiwan Jones, leading to no net loss of spots if they keep 3 RBs instead of 4.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

If Shavers proves to be a ST's stud, I can see him sticking and replacing Taiwan Jones, leading to no net loss of spots if they keep 3 RBs instead of 4.

I would imagine he would have to outplay Shorter in camp and pre-season. Because otherwise he is an easy sneak through to the PS.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is all basically correct, but I disagree with the idea that the WR room is "settled." I think those six candidates are the likely outcome, but... I have to wonder if Davis' designation as a "lock" hasn't slipped? Certainly, all the recent acquisitions will be given a chance to compete, and if Davis has a weak TC, could he find himself battling for his position with the likes of Sherfield, or Shorter. Even Tyrell Shavers, to some degree, could put some pressure on Davis roster spot. If Shavers makes the 53 on his ST acumen, that starts to make for a crowded WR room. Also, the Bills have often gone with five WRs. With two TEs, and two RBs who are legit receiving threats, I could see the pressure really ramping up on Davis.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think this is all basically correct, but I disagree with the idea that the WR room is "settled." I think those six candidates are the likely outcome, but... I have to wonder if Davis' designation as a "lock" hasn't slipped? Certainly, all the recent acquisitions will be given a chance to compete, and if Davis has a weak TC, could he find himself battling for his position with the likes of Sherfield, or Shorter. Even Tyrell Shavers, to some degree, could put some pressure on Davis roster spot. If Shavers makes the 53 on his ST acumen, that starts to make for a crowded WR room. Also, the Bills have often gone with five WRs. With two TEs, and two RBs who are legit receiving threats, I could see the pressure really ramping up on Davis.

Listening to Beane I think there is zero and I mean zero per cent chance that there is pressure on Davis's roster slot. Nor should there be. 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Listening to Beane I think there is zero and I mean zero per cent chance that there is pressure on Davis's roster slot. Nor should there be. 

Agreed.

And I'd also add that based on his comments Shorty is all but lock. He almost literally said it, and then he realized he went too far and corrected himself that he has to earn it, but it was clear how he views it.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would imagine he would have to outplay Shorter in camp and pre-season. Because otherwise he is an easy sneak through to the PS.

If he's a ST's stud, maybe not.

14 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No more TD Jesus

What surgery did Kumerow have ?

Thought I recalled at the end of the year he had back surgery??  He initially was sitting out for ankle, but back was bothering him and didn't get better.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/1/26/23572669/jake-kumerow-injury-buffalo-bills-back-surgery-recovery-training-camp-2023

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm glad Beane signed Latavius Murray as insurance.  I don't like the idea of Cook and Harris being the only fulltime RBs.

Especially with Harris's hamstring problems.

Gilliam probably stays especially with his ST snaps.  I like the following mix.

2- QB

6-WR (Tough to keep 7 with Kincaid as F-TE)

4-RB (Hines primary ST'er)

1-FB

3-TE

9-OL (7 locked)

25-Offense

Other than the Q/Doyle/Boettger/Broeker fight for 2 spots I see the O set.

The real questions for me is going to be on D.  I can't really see what mix between DL/LB/DB will be at all.

Starting with Von either on or off the PUP to start the season.

Keep the injuries down during camp/preseason and I'm starting to like what I see.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.