RD 7, Pick 252: CB Alex Austin, Oregon State

Chandler#81

Oh yeah!   Representing LBC!  A local boy for me.   He sure does seem to play physical. Can't really tell how well he covers though.  Highlight reals only show so much.   We do have an eye for DBs, so hopefully he thrives.  

Although come to think of it, our late round safety pickups haven't been stellar.  I thought Hamlin was decent, but more one dimensional.    The rest have been special team players at best.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He’s a Projects McDermott does well with these kind of guys

Nobody can really felt this pic, except for the fact that it’s not a defensive tackle which we didn’t take one over in the draft

Yes, very strange! We have zero interior DL signed for ‘24. We’re gonna need 10 picks just to trade up in the 1st next year trying to find a 5 year starter.

• Agree 1

You all didn't like Jack Nicholson's nephew at TE.

You all drove 'the Duke' into a management training program at Canadian Tire.

You all made fun of H.R. Pufnstuf's feet.

Only one of you liked Robert Foster.

IS THERE NO PLEASING YOU PEOPLE?!? 😡

EDIT:  And I forgot to mention that this must be Colonel Steve Austin's grandson.

image.jpeg.68a222fc7bcafd1ddd39f35d176ed7bf.jpeg

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 4

On 4/29/2023 at 3:51 PM, Ralonzo said:

#252 overall. Kiper says he was a 3rd/4th round grade until combine testing was underwhelming, running a 4.6 despite a sprinter background in HS. Bad day? 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/alex-austin-cb-oregon-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

PFN likes him as a sleeper.

I always like taking later-round chances on players who were productive on the field but maybe underwhelmed during the "testing" process. While I do get the importance of an athletic profile having a high level of skill and on-field production is still a really good measurement that sometimes gets heavily undervalued.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I always like taking later-round chances on players who were productive on the field but maybe underwhelmed during the "testing" process. While I do get the importance of an athletic profile having a high level of skill and on-field production is still a really good measurement that sometimes gets heavily undervalued.  

Not only that. His 40 time might not be an accurate reflection of his speed.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/1/2023 at 5:44 PM, Mark Long Beach said:

Oh yeah!   Representing LBC!  A local boy for me.   He sure does seem to play physical. Can't really tell how well he covers though.  Highlight reals only show so much.   We do have an eye for DBs, so hopefully he thrives.  

Although come to think of it, our late round safety pickups haven't been stellar.  I thought Hamlin was decent, but more one dimensional.    The rest have been special team players at best.

Im down with the LBC!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Not only that. His 40 time might not be an accurate reflection of his speed.

Greg Cosell says he plays faster than his 40 time. Also seemed surprised he was drafted that late. Said there no difference in his play vs the DBs drafted in the 4th round.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 4/30/2023 at 3:28 PM, Augie said:

Oh, who was the poor guy, can’t name him, who looked like he was going to CRY when he got drafted by the Cheaters*?  I’m guessing he knows someone trapped in Belichick Hell. 

Keion White 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Neither should be on our roster tbh

You don’t think Dane should be on the roster?  

I think he’s a very good bottom of the depth chart corner. 

Cam Lewis….. if he makes the team

again, 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Siran Neal-  what a disappointment as a cornerback (or safety).  With his noted prodigious athleticism…..practicing every day with Poyer, Hyde, Tre, Taron, you’d think he would get better with time. Not only does the guy NOT get better on D……he actually seems to get worse.  Frazier didn’t trust him.  Maybe McD will?  What a waste of salary cap imo.  Same as Matakavich. I hated keeping a roster spot for Taiwan jones these last couple years…. But at least he got paid the minimum.  These guys are ST only and get 3M+ a year 😢 

• Agree 3

On 5/2/2023 at 10:27 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You all didn't like Jack Nicholson's nephew at TE.

I'm holding out for the Bills to draft Robert Englund's nephew as a defensive end.  We need a real monster in there.  BTW, I think you were referring to the nephew of Jack Nicklaus.  

On 5/1/2023 at 5:44 PM, Mark Long Beach said:

I’ve been to SoCal many times, but so never went to the LBC. Too much drama.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'm holding out for the Bills to draft Robert Englund's nephew as a defensive end.  We need a real monster in there.  BTW, I think you were referring to the nephew of Jack Nicklaus.  

That was a standing joke by the Ridgewaycynic...constantly misidentifying O'Leary as Nicholson's nephew as opposed to the correct Nicklaus's grandson.

• Like (+1) 1

• 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, Brit said:

His int was a thing of beauty. He suckered Josh into making that throw (ironically one his better ones in the game). Smart play.

I went back and read plenty of scouting reports on him. Highly touted but a poor combine and slow speed hurt him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.