Rd 7, Pick 230: G Nick Broeker, Mississippi

SDS

18 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I think there's room for 10 OL on the 53.  6 WR (Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Sherfield, Harty, and Shorter), 3 TE (Knox, Kincaid, Morris), 4 RB (Cook, Hines, Harris, ??), and 2 QB (Allen x 2).  Doyle is coming off an ACL tear.  He may not be ready to go at start of season.  If Broeker shows enough in training camp, I believe there's a path for him to make 53. Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Torrence, Brown, Quessenberry, Bates, Edwards, Boettger, and Broeker/Doyle.

Agree.   But those are the numbers now.   There may be injuries or Edwards or Boettger might not bounce back from past injuries........a lot can change.   I think they still need a swing tackle to add to that mix.   There aren't any LT options in that group unless one considers Bates or Brown that guy.  Quessenberry was the worst pass blocking RT in NFL his last year in TN so don't want him starting games at LT under any circumstance.  Richard Gouraige may even have a realistic shot to make the roster.

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You’re entitled to your opinion

I think either Bogner where Doyle or both get traded for draft picks

The general manager is on a mission to get as many draft picks in next year’s draft as possible. We are up to 10 right now.

Is Doyle even going to be off the PUP list by the time we cut down?

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The general manager is on a mission to get as many draft picks in next year’s draft as possible. We are up to 10 right now.

Yes but 6 of them are day three. Most won't make the team. No way he drafts 10 guys.

Knowing Beane's history he will probably use one of the threes or the fourth rounder to move up in the 1st or second round. 

Ideally he packages a couple of those day three picks for higher rounds in 2025.

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree.   But those are the numbers now.   There may be injuries or Edwards or Boettger might not bounce back from past injuries........a lot can change.   I think they still need a swing tackle to add to that mix.   There aren't any LT options in that group unless one considers Bates or Brown that guy.  Quessenberry was the worst pass blocking RT in NFL his last year in TN so don't want him starting games at LT under any circumstance.  Richard Gouraige may even have a realistic shot to make the roster.

If Torrence starts Bates is your swing OT and backup C as well. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

I think there's room for 10 OL on the 53.  6 WR (Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Sherfield, Harty, and Shorter), 3 TE (Knox, Kincaid, Morris), 4 RB (Cook, Hines, Harris, ??), and 2 QB (Allen x 2).  Doyle is coming off an ACL tear.  He may not be ready to go at start of season.  If Broeker shows enough in training camp, I believe there's a path for him to make 53. Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Torrence, Brown, Quessenberry, Bates, Edwards, Boettger, and Broeker/Doyle.

I think if he can show skills to be depth he makes the team. There will be tradable assets on this OL before just flat out cuts IMO. And he showing he can offer let’s say what Quessenberry does at depth you can get picks for Quessenberry and that contract. I fully expect pieces on the OL to be dealt for picks not outright cut 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I could see an OL guy get traded right before final cut downs.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't know, but @MAJBobby believes he may end up being a genuine alternative to Brown. I hope that is true, because I'm not really a fan of UPS.

I do. He has the upside of a LT and has much better lateral movement than Brown. I think if given a legit shot at that position he could win it out of camp. 

5 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I could see an OL guy get traded right before final cut downs.

There will be a lot of tradable assets on this OL as opposed to an out right cut. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

A lot of guards on the team now. It makes me wonder if Morse could be a surprise cut or trade to free up some cap space? Bates could slide in at center without too much drop off. Just a thought.

Medical issues.  This is possible they know Morse may be done, or 1 injury away from done.... concussions are serious. 

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, SCBills said:

I don’t want to let go of Morse either, but the OL was bad when he was out, partly due to lack of talent around him.  

The OL looks much improved as we sit here today, not even accounting for a jump the staff is clearly banking on from Spencer Brown. 

My guess is this is Morse’s last year.  $3M dead cap but save $8M in 2023-2024.  Minimal savings for this season.  

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

My guess is this is Morse’s last year.  $3M dead cap but save $8M in 2023-2024.  Minimal savings for this season.  

Yep. He’s been very solid for the Bills, but is one concussion away from an extended absence or even retirement. Time to get a strong replacement candidate ready to go. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

A REAL GM would have 11 picks going into the 2024 draft. <sarc>

24 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d bet 1 depth OL and 1 of Epenesa or Basham gets traded for more picks. Maybe Joe Schoen would give us a 5th for someone

Another aspect of evaluating the recently concluded draft is that Beane probably will have a tradeable asset or two out of the IOL depth that has been added over the offseason that could further add to the cache of future draft picks. All those folks so terribly angered by trading a late fourth might temper their chagrin by contemplating the surfeit of riches in the future; but we know they won't.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Bates should be moved there. We have good depth at Guard now

Agreed - start grooming him to take over at Center.  He’s still only 26.  If this is Morse last season at least we know we have a guy we can immediately plug in with confidence.   

And fwiw I have no reason to suspect this would be his last season.  He has just turned 31 and is still a very good top 10 Center in the league.  Can see him playing 2-3 more seasons.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.