For Consideration The Next 3 Days…

OldTimer1960

The draft debate has been very fun for the past several months.  I enjoy reading everyone’s opinions.

Tonight the Bills make their first pick (or not!).  The pick will make some happy and some will be apoplectic that who they picked is clearly inferior to another player/isn’t a player at a premium position/has an average RAS score, etc…

Whatever your view, let’s remember that:

1. We are not privy to any player’s medical evaluation.  This is very important.

2. We don’t have an opportunity to evaluate a player by interviewing him, his coaches, teammates, etc.

3. We don’t have a sense for the work ethic of most prospects 

4. It is hard for us to evaluate any players aptitude to learn

5. Most of us can’t tell how a player fits the Bills’ current scheme and none of us know what scheme changes they are considering.

5. It is very hard for us to know what room any prospect has to improve strength/skills (are they maxed out or just need NFL strength training?)

All of the above are very important considerations when evaluating any player.

Looking forward to the excitement and debates!

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The draft debate has been very fun for the past several months.  I enjoy reading everyone’s opinions.

Tonight the Bills make their first pick (or not!).  The pick will make some happy and some will be apoplectic that who they picked is clearly inferior to another player/isn’t a player at a premium position/has an average RAS score, etc…

1. We are not privy to any player’s medical evaluation.  This is very important.

2. We don’t have an opportunity to evaluate a player by interviewing him, his coaches, teammates, etc.

5. Most of us can’t tell how a player fits the Bills’ current scheme and none of us know what scheme changes they are considering.

5. It is very hard for us to know what room any prospect has to improve strength/skills (are they maxed out or just need NFL strength training?)

@ OldTimer1960, thank you for your effort to minimize the typical ridiculous fallout from this ‘faithful’ by injecting sober realism.

Sadly, I don’t believe it will have any positive impact..

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

@ OldTimer1960, thank you for your effort to minimize the typical ridiculous fallout from this ‘faithful’ by injecting sober realism.

Sadly, I don’t will will have any positive impact..

I think the operative word here is "sober"

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And yet, many posters have done a better job picking players than the Bills have over the last 20 years.

If the Bills just went by the national player rankings the last 20 years, we likely have a better team for much of that time.

You really think so?  

26 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

All this is true, 

Yet, a very noisy contingent here will lose what little control of their minds that they have and rant nonstop with their disapproval throughout the entire  up coming season and beyond. Yes it will be senseless and it will offer virtually zero benefits, yet they will not stop. These are people who know little of the differences between “critique” and “nonstop whining”, it’s gonna be so pathetic.  I already have a seasons worth of popcorn at the ready 🍿 lol 😂 

37 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

This is all true.

Yet we just let Edmunds walk, and we're about to let Oliver walk.  Elam rode the bench most of last year, Cook barely saw the field, Basham is at best a rotational guy, Epenesa is a JAG, etc.  At some point, I think fans can reasonably start second-guessing some of these picks.  It's not as if the FO is consistently nailing them or anything.  Since Beane got here, he's had one really good selection in the first two rounds, and that's starting to look like a lucky fluke.  (Edit: If Beane had drafted Tre, I'd count that as a good pick too.) 

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Well, you tried.  I’ll give you credit for that. 😋

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It's also difficult to say whether Beane & Co. have done their homework as such given their drafts.  

Since it's their evaluations that will matter, hopefully they'll do a significantly better job than they have to date.  

22 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You really think so?  

Honestly, how much worse can put day 1 & 2 picks have gone short of outright busts.  Not an impact player among them.  

• Eyeroll 1

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

The Office Questions GIF

Forever one of my favorite office lines

15 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Can someone just tell me if we should have drafted Josh Rosen??

At the time I would've told you unequivocally yes.. whoops

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.