McBean’s draft history and who we draft at 27

LEBills

We are now going into the 6th draft of the McBeane partnership. In that timeframe they have certainly shown that they have a type of prospect they look for in the first round.

Since 2018, every first draft pick has:

1. Been 21 years old or younger

2. Had two years of solid college production (Rousseau is the one exception but Covid complicated this)

3. Had clean medicals

4. Had a top 30 visit. We do not have all visits reported so this will not disqualify for this exercise.

With these parameters, we can make a good guess of who Beane is targeting. We will break it down position by position. I will not be considering players like Jalen Carter, Bijon Robinson or Paris Johnson who are basically guaranteed to be gone.

WR

Fit: Jordan Addison

Excludes: JSN (production), Zay Flowers (age), Quentin Johnston (production), Hyatt (production)

TE

Fit: Michael Mayer

Excludes: Dalton Kincaid (medical, age), Darnell Washington (medical)

OT

Fit: Anton Harrison

Excludes: Matt Bergeron (age), Darnell Wright (production - he was awful in 2021 at LT)

LB

Fit: Trenton Simpson

Excludes: Jack Campbell (age), Drew Sanders (production)

DL

Mazi Smith

Myles Murphy

Excludes: Bryan Bresee (medical), Calijah Kancey (age), Nolan Smith (age), Will McDonald (age), Keion White (age)

Final Board

1. Jordan Addison (top 30 visit confirmed)

Addison has it all. Just turned 21. Two years of production at two different schools. Can play in the slot or out wide. McDermott is close with Pitt coach Narduzzi. Clear role immediately in the offense. And a confirmed 30 visit. If he is there, I think that is guaranteed to be the pick.

2. Mazi Smith (top 30 visit confirmed)

Though not my favorite pick, Beane was very honest in his pre draft presser that you are looking for someone who can contribute year 1 and become a starter by year 2. He also admitted that DT is a position where investments need to be made. Finally, he saw how our run defense nosedived against the Bengals with Jones out. It won’t be flashy pick but one Beane will justify.

3. Anton Harrison (top 30 reported by walterfootball but no one else)

I think the Bills feel they can upgrade at Tackle but don’t need to with Brown. This pick would create a winner take all, loser to the swing tackle position battle between Harrison and Brown. In 2 years he would be a successor to Dawkins.

4. Trenton Simpson

MLB is the most obvious hole in the team, but I’m just not sure the Bills see it as a must fill. I think they think someone will be available round 2 and so are ok waiting.

5. Myles Murphy

Murphy is a tough player to figure out. Some people have him as a top 15 pick, some think he may fall out of the first round. If he does fall to this position, there is a good chance he is the pick but he may get nowhere close to us

6. Michael Mayer

I just don’t think the Bills are going TE in round 1. A rd2 or 3 player seems more likely.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 9

I feel we may be at an awkard spot at #27 if there is a run on offensive tackles. I think Beane will try his best to trade down for more picks and then move up the draft board to get his guy. OT and ILB are the obvious holes, but TE are DT also need to be addressed.

It seems like Beane makes more draft day trades than any other GM.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

8 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I feel we may be at an awkard spot at #27 if there is a run on offensive tackles. I think Beane will try his best to trade down for more picks and then move up the draft board to get his guy. OT and ILB are the obvious holes, but TE are DT also need to be addressed.

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

I’d say he’s trading down but it feels like no one wants to move up.   

Whether we trade up, stay put or trade back the draft targets likely remain the same barring a large move. just more on the list would be available/gone.

We traded up for Josh and Tremaine who fit all of the criteria

When we didn’t have a first rounder due to the Diggs trade, AJ Epenesa again fit the criteria

9 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Yes, I think the Bills are very likely feeling like they are in a difficult spot at #27.  By most estimates there are less than 20 players in the draft that would normally be considered first round caliber.  Odds are slim that one of the top 20 will last until #27.  A month ago, I said I thought it was more likely that the Bills trade down rather than up, if they do swing a trade.  The other day, Beane basically confirmed my thinking.  Of course, given the paucity of elite talent in this draft, it makes finding a partner in a trade who wants to move up to #27 that much more difficult to find.  If Buffalo makes a pick at #27, I'm pretty certain that a lot more of us will be unhappy with the pick than thrilled with it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Whether we trade up, stay put or trade back the draft targets likely remain the same barring a large move. just more on the list would be available/gone.

We traded up for Josh and Tremaine who fit all of the criteria

When we didn’t have a first rounder due to the Diggs trade, AJ Epenesa again fit the criteria

Pretty impressive sleuth work.

If stuck, just take Downs - guaranteed starter in the slot.  That’s a win.  

I’m only sold that Harty is a weapon.  Not a regular slot guy.  Injury history to.  

If my OTs aren’t there, and Addison is gone - go Josh Downs.

Starting slot WR.  Arguably the best one in this class.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m only sold that Harty is a weapon.  Not a regular slot guy.  Injury history to.  

Even better, trade 27 for 34. Pick up Hopkins, take Downs at the top of the second.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Downs is awesome and would match what the Bills look for. The only thing with him is he had 0 top 30 visits. Not one team brought him in. I’m guessing here, but I think he is going to go later than people are expecting. Like James Cook territory. 

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Downs is awesome and would match what the Bills look for. The only thing with him is he had 0 top 30 visits. Not one team brought him in. I’m guessing here, but I think he is going to go later than people are expecting. Like James Cook territory. 

Awesome if he is there at 59. Given your parameters, and we know the Bills brought Darnell Washington in for a visit, what if he passed their team medicals? Wouldn't he be a consideration?

40 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I feel we may be at an awkard spot at #27 if there is a run on offensive tackles.

I'm pretty sure that this is the 25th consecutive year that Bills fans on TSW feel that the Bills are in an "awkward spot" in round 1.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LEBills said:

We are now going into the 6th draft of the McBeane partnership. In that timeframe they have certainly shown that they have a type of prospect they look for in the first round.

2. Had two years of solid college production (Rousseau is the one exception but Covid complicated this)

3. Had clean medicals

4. Had a top 30 visit. We do not have all visits reported so this will not disqualify for this exercise.

With these parameters, we can make a good guess of who Beane is targeting. We will break it down position by position. I will not be considering players like Jalen Carter, Bijon Robinson or Paris Johnson who are basically guaranteed to be gone.

WR

Excludes: JSN (production), Zay Flowers (age), Quentin Johnston (production), Hyatt (production)

TE

OT

Excludes: Matt Bergeron (age), Darnell Wright (production - he was awful in 2021 at LT)

LB

DL

Mazi Smith

Myles Murphy

Excludes: Bryan Bresee (medical), Calijah Kancey (age), Nolan Smith (age), Will McDonald (age), Keion White (age)

Final Board

Addison has it all. Just turned 21. Two years of production at two different schools. Can play in the slot or out wide. McDermott is close with Pitt coach Narduzzi. Clear role immediately in the offense. And a confirmed 30 visit. If he is there, I think that is guaranteed to be the pick.

Though not my favorite pick, Beane was very honest in his pre draft presser that you are looking for someone who can contribute year 1 and become a starter by year 2. He also admitted that DT is a position where investments need to be made. Finally, he saw how our run defense nosedived against the Bengals with Jones out. It won’t be flashy pick but one Beane will justify.

I think the Bills feel they can upgrade at Tackle but don’t need to with Brown. This pick would create a winner take all, loser to the swing tackle position battle between Harrison and Brown. In 2 years he would be a successor to Dawkins.

4. Trenton Simpson

MLB is the most obvious hole in the team, but I’m just not sure the Bills see it as a must fill. I think they think someone will be available round 2 and so are ok waiting.

5. Myles Murphy

Murphy is a tough player to figure out. Some people have him as a top 15 pick, some think he may fall out of the first round. If he does fall to this position, there is a good chance he is the pick but he may get nowhere close to us

6. Michael Mayer

I just don’t think the Bills are going TE in round 1. A rd2 or 3 player seems more likely.

This is a good analysis, but I don’t think the age strategy has worked out. Teams gain no advantage “developing” young players.  They just lose valuable rookie contract production. Any chance Beane has learned this ?

• Like (+1) 1

The trend for the NFL (this century,especially, last decade) has been to draft the 21 year olds,so nothing unique about the Bills picking 21 year olds. With the wage scale,there is less incentive to stay in college:  players want to start earning ,so they can get into their second contract earlier and make significantly more money. Your logic is flawed.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

3. Had clean medicals

WR

TE

OT

LB

DL

Mazi Smith

Myles Murphy

Final Board

4. Trenton Simpson

5. Myles Murphy

6. Michael Mayer

Nice work. Thank you for posting. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Awesome if he is there at 59. Given your parameters, and we know the Bills brought Darnell Washington in for a visit, what if he passed their team medicals? Wouldn't he be a consideration?

I think he would, probably around Mayer’s level. The production may be a little lacking for him as well but since his main value is blocking it may be tough to judge.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again having Shakir, Harty and Sherfield, I can't see them taking a slot WR at 27. 

I hope they don’t look at that list and say “we good at slot receiver”

4 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

The trend for the NFL (this century,especially, last decade) has been to draft the 21 year olds,so nothing unique about the Bills picking 21 year olds. With the wage scale,there is less incentive to stay in college:  players want to start earning ,so they can get into their second contract earlier and make significantly more money. Your logic is flawed.

Yea it’s not just 21, there are other criteria. Over the course of 5 years it is not a guarantee but more of an educated guess.

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is a good analysis, but I don’t think the age strategy has worked out. Teams gain no advantage “developing” young players.  They just lose valuable rookie contract production. Any chance Beane has learned this ?

Not necessarily what I would do, but the Bills seem to have a type that I am using to guess. We will see on Thursday!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I recently read an analysis of younger vs older draft picks. There did seem to be something to taking the younger prospects - even in the early seasons after being drafted. It wasn’t so much that their production was off the charts great so much as the older prospects did relatively poorly overall. Even the best GMs have a hit rate below 50%. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

I hope they don’t look at that list and say “we good at slot receiver”

They likely are.  They've had Shakir in the system for a year and went out and got 2 more slot receivers (although at 6'1" and 219# with 4.45 speed, I could see Sherfield playing outside).

3. Had clean medicals

WR

TE

OT

LB

DL

Mazi Smith

Myles Murphy

Final Board

4. Trenton Simpson

5. Myles Murphy

6. Michael Mayer

well thought out post, thanks for sharing. Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

They likely are.  They've had Shakir in the system for a year and went out and got 2 more slot receivers (although at 6'1" and 219# with 4.45 speed, I could see Sherfield playing outside).

Addison can play all over the field which is a positive.

IMO, Sherfield is an upgraded Kumerow, Harty is an upgraded McKenzie, Shakir is being trained for that old Gabe Davis WR4 role.

I think there is room on the team for a third receiver, even one that plays a lot in the slot like Addison would on this team.

3. Had clean medicals

WR

TE

OT

LB

DL

Mazi Smith

Myles Murphy

Final Board

4. Trenton Simpson

5. Myles Murphy

6. Michael Mayer

great post!!

I think they make an exception for Hyatt.

elite speed: check

production: 5 TD’s against Bama can count for a second year of production hahahaha

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I recently read an analysis of younger vs older draft picks. There did seem to be something to taking the younger prospects - even in the early seasons after being drafted. It wasn’t so much that their production was off the charts great so much as the older prospects did relatively poorly overall. Even the best GMs have a hit rate below 50%. 

I don't think younger age causes success. Many of the very best players leave college early because they are ready.  But young age isn't a feature, as much as it is a side effect in those cases. 

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I don't think younger age causes success. Many of the very best players leave college early because they are ready.  But young age isn't a feature, as much as it is a side effect in those cases. 

I think that’s the reasoning. If a player can excel in college at a younger age, then they have a better chance at being a good pro than a player who doesn’t excel in college until they are among the oldest players competing. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

I’d say he’s trading down but it feels like no one wants to move up.   

They'll be few trade down partners with roughly 15 or so true 1st round talents.  Unfortunately players like JSN, Flowers, Addison, Wright, Bijan and Kincaid will all be gone.  I agree 27 is a very awkward position for this draft.  I could live with Branch, Harrison or M. Smith but still praying for a trade down to 2nd. 

50 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The ceiling is so much higher on Jalin Hyatt.  I hope Beane goes for the explosive guy this team desperately needs.  

I've been thinking of him as a second rounder. The Tennessee offense just didn't require much of a route tree from him and the scheme bought him a lot of open space that is harder to come by in the pro game. When you look at the potential, however, it is a high ceiling, so I'm coming around towards thinking maybe he should be a consideration at 27.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I've been thinking of him as a second rounder. The Tennessee offense just didn't require much of a route tree from him and the scheme bought him a lot of open space that is harder to come by in the pro game. When you look at the potential, however, it is a high ceiling, so I'm coming around towards thinking maybe he should be a consideration at 27.

I don’t have a top 30 grade in Hyatt but he’s is in the top 50

i love his gait… he didn’t blaze a 4.3 but he gallops like a thoroughbred 

I think he’s a lee evans type guy , without the polish rn 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting observations, OP. Thanks.

That said, the 21 and under thing, that may be more of a fluke than a criterion of Beane's.

I don't see the logic in drafting someone 21 over 22 or even 23 as a 22-year-old after a five year contract is 26 at the end of his first 5-year contract and a new 4-year deal still only makes him 30 at the end of a second 4-year deal. Or 31 at the end of a second 4-year deal for a guy who is 23.

Trying to draft based on who you're gonna give a third contract to based on age is nuts, IMHO. 

If you get a player to stick around for 9 years that should be a win. Who cares if he's 30, 31 or 32 after that.

Edited by Nephilim17

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I may be wrong on this, but I think that you’re wrong on the age of Tremaine Edmunds, when he was drafted

“21 years old or younger” 👍

Pretty sure Tremaine was in his way to prom when we drafted him

2 hours ago, LEBills said:

3. Had clean medicals

WR

TE

OT

LB

DL

Mazi Smith

Myles Murphy

Final Board

4. Trenton Simpson

5. Myles Murphy

6. Michael Mayer

Are you seriously excluding the best WR in the draft due to “lack of production”?

I would hope that you realize this glaring error indicates that you’re clueless, thus rendering your entire post worthless. 

• Vomit 1

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

Interesting observations, OP. Thanks.

That said, the 21 and under thing, that may be more of a fluke than a criterion of Beane's.

I don't see the logic in drafting someone 21 over 22 or even 23 as a 22-year-old after a five year contract is 26 at the end of his first 5-year contract and a new 4-year deal still only makes him 30 at the end of a second 4-year deal. Or 31 at the end of a second 4-year deal for a guy who is 23. Trying to draft based on who you're gonna give a third contract to based on age is nuts, IMJHO. 

If you get a player to stick around for 9 years that should be a win. Who cares if he's 30, 31 or 32 after that.

I’m not really diving into the logic of it, just something that keeps happening the last 5 years. As we look to narrow down who we may draft this year, that just happens to be one thing they all had in common.

When you pair a young age with two years of production (basically starting being productive in college as a 19 year old) I think those two together give you a more full profile of what they look for.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

great post!!

I think they make an exception for Hyatt.

elite speed: check

production: 5 TD’s against Bama can count for a second year of production hahahaha

I think Hyatt is dynamic and his game speed is great 

but 4.40 is not elite anymore … If he ran a 4.30 I would take him 100% at 27

The 4.4 makes it tougher in the top 30 with his physicality … 4.4 isn’t elite on the radar anymore 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, pennstate10 said:

Are you seriously excluding the best WR in the draft due to “lack of production”?

I would hope that you realize this glaring error indicates that you’re clueless, thus rendering your entire post worthless. 

I don’t really think JSN will be there for the Bills if that’s what you mean. But he does not fit what they have drafted in the past. I would take him if he is there at 27

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think Hyatt is dynamic and his game speed is great 

but 4.40 is not elite anymore … If he ran a 4.30 I would take him 100% at 27

The 4.4 makes it tough are in the top 30 with his physicality 

I'm not a college fan but looking at Hyatt's highlights I thought for sure he'd be sub-4.40. Was shocked to see the second number of his run was not a 3.

Was the competition in the highlights just that slow or what? He looked so fast on the field.

2 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I don’t really think JSN will be there for the Bills if that’s what you mean. But he does not fit what they have drafted in the past. I would take him if he is there at 27

But that’s not what you wrote. Here is what you wrote. 

“WR

Excludes: JSN (production), Zay Flowers (age), Quentin Johnston (production), Hyatt (production)”

I don’t know. When posters write stuff that’s obviously wrong, and then lie about it, that makes me think said poster’s opinions are useless. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

I'm not a college fan but looking at Hyatt's highlights I thought for sure he'd be sub-4.40. Was shocked to see the second number of his run was not a 3.

Was the competition in the highlights just that slow or what? He looked so fast on the field.

So I’m very shocked he did not run sub 4.4

As someone who’s played coached and scouted for 30 years… I have a pretty good eye for 40s

I can see the difference between a 4.44 and a 4.49 pretty well… I could tell lavishka shenault a few years ago was a 4.5+ guy but since he ran by people everybody thought he must be 4.4s or 4.3s… it’s east to see he’s not 

now I pegged Hyatt as a 4.35 guy and a 4.40 is very surprising …. But runners have bad days … and his gait at 30 yards is perfect 

no wasted movement … I’m just bummed he probably had a bad day

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.