Dawand Jones OT Ohio State

Big Blitz

Since the Darnell Wright mock I’ve spent more time looking at the OTs - because this position could be a strength in RD 1 and a real possibility.  And I’m coming around to solidifying this oline with an elite (hopefully) bookend with Dawkins.  

I generally don’t like the 6’8 guys.  

But man.  I don’t know.  This guy can freaking move and is ridiculously strong.  

The more I watch the more I think he moves and plays like a taller Tyron Smith.  I’m not concerned about the weight at all.  His frame looks so solid top to bottom.  

I think of the OTs he’s now my guy.  He’s passed Wright and if my WR is gone at 27 I’d take Jones. 

And if we trade back and pull off a Hopkins trade he will be there early RD 2 for us.  

His tape vs Hutchinson has some really good work here - remember this was 2 years ago.  He was barely 20 and Hutchinson is going to be a top 2 pick.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alpo Chino said:

Not a sexy pick but I'd be ok with it. It's semi masked under Josh's escapability, but I don't think everyone is realizing how BAD Spencer Brown was last year. 

Wasn’t it rumored he was playing through a bad ankle injury or something? Doesn’t make sense how he fell off from a solid rookie season

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Wasn’t it rumored he was playing through a bad ankle injury or something? Doesn’t make sense how he fell off from a solid rookie season

Yeah, he missed a few games with an ankle injury iirc. That might've had something to do with it, but man he was bad. 

You should be concerned about his weight and, in a similar vein, his commitment to playing football. He should be a top 20 pick but the concern voiced by many following interviews is that he simply has not bought in to being a professional football player. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Was there concern about his weight being 400+ or was that another prospect?

There were two. Him and O'Cyrus Torrance. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Greg Cosell made a joke on OBL that nothing gets by him if it is a buffet. Lots of concerns about weight and motivation going forward according to Cosell who rarely says anything negative about a player 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

You should be concerned about his weight and, in a similar vein, his commitment to playing football. He should be a top 20 pick but the concern voiced by many following interviews is that he simply has not bought in to being a professional football player. 

There were two. Him and O'Cyrus Torrance. 

I’ve seen nothing on either - Jones got up to 375 before last season then dropped 15 lbs.  Same at his pro day.   

He didn’t weigh in at the combine.  I read that Tomlin told him it wasn’t a big deal and didn’t need to.

I believe you just look at the frame.  He isn’t “sloppy.” 

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/03/ohio-state-ot-dawand-jones-talks-meeting-mike-tomlin-says-tomlin-chirped-him-for-not-weighing-in-at-pro-day/

Also sounds like he is well aware of how important conditioning is.  

Added Jones: “Your feet kind of go with you. And I see sometimes in pass pro last year, you know your weight going into the game. So I was like, yeah, I was kind of heavier that game. And so I wouldn't be like, yeah, I need to lose weight to help me on that aspect. Because in the run game, I do that I would say okay, pretty well. But the pros make their money pass blocking.”

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-football-Dawand-Jones-believes-offseason-weight-loss-will-lead-to-more-in-season-success-191142613/Amp/

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jones said that he shed three percent of his body fat since the end of the season, knocking him down to just 24 percent total body fat. “Yeah, the thing people don't know is that I've lost about three percent body fat since our season ended,” Jones said…..

“I don’t know how to describe it,” Jones said. “You know, I go out there and I play with an edge. What I was always taught was that you had to be a little mean and have a nasty streak. I bring that to the table when I step out here, so I feel like I had to show the scouts what I’m about.”

https://steelersnow.com/steelers-draft-profile-mammoth-ohio-state-ot-dawand-jones-shooting-up-boards/#

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I need you need them but 1st round o linemen picks are 😴 

normally I’d agree but seeing the pass pro breakdowns last season I’d be perfectly fine with it this year (if the guy can actually play of course.)

Like others have said, his weight, his size, and enough comments about his possible less than ideal work ethic would make me hesitant to consider him in Round 1.

Besides, didn't we already have a guy named Jones a few years ago that was really big and played QB at Ohio State that didn't pan out?

Are there any perennial all-pro or pro bowl players that were 360lb Right Tackles?

I'm guessing probably none.

27 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Like others have said, his weight, his size, and enough comments about his possible less than ideal work ethic would make me hesitant to consider him in Round 1.

Besides, didn't we already have a guy named Jones a few years ago that was really big and played QB at Ohio State that didn't pan out?

Are there any perennial all-pro or pro bowl players that were 360lb Right Tackles?

I'm guessing probably none.

Orlando Brown - 365

Evan Neal - 369

Trent Brown - 380

Jordan Mailata - 365

Bryant McKinnie - 386

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

I’ve seen nothing on either - Jones got up to 375 before last season then dropped 15 lbs.  Same at his pro day.   

He didn’t weigh in at the combine.  I read that Tomlin told him it wasn’t a big deal and didn’t need to.

I believe you just look at the frame.  He isn’t “sloppy.” 

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/03/ohio-state-ot-dawand-jones-talks-meeting-mike-tomlin-says-tomlin-chirped-him-for-not-weighing-in-at-pro-day/

Also sounds like he is well aware of how important conditioning is.  

Added Jones: “Your feet kind of go with you. And I see sometimes in pass pro last year, you know your weight going into the game. So I was like, yeah, I was kind of heavier that game. And so I wouldn't be like, yeah, I need to lose weight to help me on that aspect. Because in the run game, I do that I would say okay, pretty well. But the pros make their money pass blocking.”

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-football-Dawand-Jones-believes-offseason-weight-loss-will-lead-to-more-in-season-success-191142613/Amp/

The concerns about his weight and football character were mentioned in I think a Chris Simms podcast. I should add that they weren't saying he was a bad actor just that he needed to develop his work ethic. I haven't followed the guy so honestly I dont know whether it's true.

One thing I would question is his suitability for a zone run blocking scheme. He is obviously thought of as best suited for a power gap/man  scheme which is not what Kromer runs.

• Agree 1

Don't like him. Big, fluctuating weight, clumsy technique, constantly unbalanced. 

Spolier alert... I wouldn't take him before day 3. I know he will go before then. Possibly late 1st, more likely 2nd round. But I wouldn't take him. He isn't my type of prospect at all. 

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Orlando Brown - 365

Evan Neal - 369

Trent Brown - 380

Jordan Mailata - 365

Bryant McKinnie - 386

Trent Brown is the only one there I would say is a fair comparison in terms of technical rawness. He was drafted in the 7th round.

• Agree 4

15 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's him...He refused to weigh in at the OSU Pro Day which apparently (according to Rick Spielman) is unheard of, even if the player is not working out. He also quit drills during his Pro Day, and I think only practiced one day at the Sr. Bowl...There are some pretty big (no pun intended) questions on him right now and I doubt the Bills are very interested. Not their kind of off-the-field guy. B-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

It's him...He refused to weigh in at the OSU Pro Day which apparently (according to Rick Spielman) is unheard of, even if the player is not working out. He also quit drills during his Pro Day, and I think only practiced one day at the Sr. Bowl...There are some pretty big (no pun intended) questions on him right now and I doubt the Bills are very interested. Not their kind of off-the-field guy. B-)

Yep no thanks

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I need you need them but 1st round o linemen picks are 😴 

True, its a snooze, BUT, five years of protecting the Franchise QB…, that has a lot of appeal,

19 hours ago, Roundybout said:

He wasn't solid as a rookie. He was terribly inconsistent just as he was in 2022.  

The issue/excuse people cite is his back surgery and little off-season to train while recovering. 

At best Brown is a massive question mark for 2023.  If he can play better he is a cheap starter, that seems capable in the run game and a liability in pass protection that Allen can at least see coming.  

I truly hope OT is taken in the first three rounds.

That all said, I'm equally worried about Dawkins. He regressed terribly last year.  If they take a capable LT in the first round I would not be shocked to see Dawkins gone in 2024. Or moved to LG in 2024 with the McGovern guy or Bates maybe moving to Center if Morse retires. 

I watch nearly every tOSU game. The kid is massive and has talent, but I didn’t always love what I saw from him on the field. The potential for a very high ceiling is there, but I hate drafting early on potential. Drafting him on day 2 has a lot more appeal than on day 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.