TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - Completed

Virgil

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hey I'm not mad........glad to see a bumbling franchise draft a RB in round 1. :thumbsup:

Maybe Bijan will be the first 1st round RB to have a stellar career for that team that drafted him since Adrian Peterson in 2007.   It's only been 15 years.   That's recent history right? :flirt:

More likely........Texans fans will get to watch him have his ups and downs and then be traded to a contender for pennies on the draft investment dollar in 3-4 years...........like Marshawn Lynch from that same 2007 draft eventually was.

Maybe they'll trade him to us :P

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I find myself in a tough spot with the Texans, my goal at this point is to add as much talent as possible. Damien Pierce is a good player, but I want to take it to the next level. 

With the 12th pick in TSW mock draft 3.0 the Texans select Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas. 

With the way the board fell he is BPA and the best offensive weapon I could find. Robinson is awesome and with the regime coming from the 49ers, Robinson will crush it in that offense essentially becoming the Christian McCaffrey. Robinson also gives you so much as a receiver that Pierce still has a role here. You may be wondering what we do at QB? After these two first rounders the Texans have 10 more picks, and I am totally willing to trade a couple of those for Trey Lance, who I like better than the QBs in this draft, and who already knows the offense. In a draft with just a few blue chip prospects, the Texans come away with two of them in Anderson and Robinson.  

Bijan is an instant fan favorite and brings credibility and impact to this Texans offense. 

@LEBills and the NY Rodgeres are on the clock

@Virgil

Should it be @LEBills or @aristocrat to reflect today’s trade?

I think this has more chance to be a reality on draft day than some think.  Lot of smoke that the Texans are enamored with Bijan and with that staffs background, it would make sense.  

• Agree 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Patriots (Chaos) are on the clock

Everything is now updated.   Thank you all for your patience.  

The Patriots @Chaosare on the clock 

8 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I also offered the bills a trade involving Hopkins. If @Virgil is back tomorrow he will post I’m sure 

Since that doesn’t involve us trading up, I’m waiting until the Bills pick to post it in the poll.  

The Bills haven’t received and offers to trade up as of now.  We are also fielding offers to trade back 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think this has more chance to be a reality on draft day than some think.  Lot of smoke that the Texans are enamored with Bijan and with that staffs background, it would make sense.  

I'm not super sure I love him as an outside zone runner and there is a LOT of outside zone in that Shanny scheme (that one presumes the Texans will run). I think he can do it, sure, but I think you'd want to run more inside zone, and more gap scheme for him. I don't want a lot of plays running Bijan lateral to the line of scrimmage. He could do it, but I think he is better when he sticks his foot in the ground and gets north and south. And if you are picking a back that high I think you need to make sure you are using him in the best possible way. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not super sure I love him as an outside zone runner and there is a LOT of outside zone in that Shanny scheme (that one presumes the Texans will run). I think he can do it, sure, but I think you'd want to run more inside zone, and more gap scheme for him. I don't want a lot of plays running Bijan lateral to the line of scrimmage. He could do it, but I think he is better when he sticks his foot in the ground and gets north and south. And if you are picking a back that high I think you need to make sure you are using him in the best possible way. 

100% agree with this. Bijan is more Tomlinson to me as a runner. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Even after the year Pierce just had?

This board would explode if we took him at 27 let alone if we had a rookie RB off that season.   Especially their other needs.  

I’m beginning to think the Eagles might do it.  

• Like (+1) 1

With the 14th pick overall, the Patriots select Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia. Another year of seasoning could have made Jones a top-five pick. The Patriots are building for the future, and Jones is expected to be a cornerstone of that rebuild.  Sadly, we don't think he can play QB. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Jets (LEBills) are on the clock

With the 15th pick of the 2023 Virgil mock draft (version 3.0), the New York Jets select:

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

Not gonna lie, we are feeling goooood today. Maybe it’s just the contact high, but more likely it’s that we just basically traded Corey Coleman and a first round pick for Aaron Rodgers.

The pick swap did sting a bit as we knew that would likely cost us the top OTs. But we move on by selecting the next best Tackle in the draft.

Currently our tackles are the perennially injured Mechi Becton and AARP Duane Brown. We expect Wright to be the starting RT this year and have Brown/Becton handle the left side.

@Kirby Jackson and the Washington Commanders are on the clock

@Virgil

Edited by LEBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

100% agree with this. Bijan is more Tomlinson to me as a runner. 

The way it was taught to me, the stretch play is really a one cut north south play. You rarely get the edge. Though he has the speed to turn the edge, I think Robinson's vision and ability to cut back will be awesome in that offense. He could also be used as a receiver a ton if the Texans want to make the best use of he and Pierce. I feel like his skills would be wasted a bit in a straight gap scheme, sort of caging the beast. In that Niners system you will get a lot of wide zone, but a ton of inside zone and duo as well. I like the fit. 

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Commanders (Kirby Jackson) are on the clock
18 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Let’s see how that plays out. Rodgers has a huge contract and is likely a one year rental. At most he’s a two year rental for wherever he goes. And he’s coming off a down season (for him). GB can posture about waiting until the pay date on Rodger’s bonus, but I don’t see how they can take the risk of having him at mandatory OTAs next month. If he gets injured they could wind up having to pay the whole $59.5M he’s owed this season.

I could see a 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick next depending on Rodger’s/Jets’ performance - and whether Rodgers plays in 2024. So a 2024 first might be on the table if the right conditions get met. Also there could be a flip of 13 & 15, 13 for a second back or something like that, but I don’t see 13 straight up happening. 

Nice call.  

24 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The way it was taught to me, the stretch play is really a one cut north south play. You rarely get the edge. Though he has the speed to turn the edge, I think Robinson's vision and ability to cut back will be awesome in that offense. He could also be used as a receiver a ton if the Texans want to make the best use of he and Pierce. I feel like his skills would be wasted a bit in a straight gap scheme, sort of caging the beast. In that Niners system you will get a lot of wide zone, but a ton of inside zone and duo as well. I like the fit. 

Yea the stretch play is designed as a one cut north and south play. The original Alex Gibbs version had very little lateral to the line of scrimmage running. Shanny Jnr in San Fran (and before that in Atlanta as OC) has incorporated a lot more. It depends how well the OC they have brought from that system really understands the system. Mike McDaniel, he has it, he understands what makes it go and so he can tweak and wrinkle as he sees fit. The LaFleur brothers, less so. They are a bit more fit their players into the system as they learnt it and run that. You'd want an inside zone heavy system for Bijan to me. Similar to what Arthur Smith ran with the Titans actually. Lots of inside zone, some gap/power stuff in short yardage... almost the Derick Henry plan (but with more use as a receiver).

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the stretch play is designed as a one cut north and south play. The original Alex Gibbs version had very little lateral to the line of scrimmage running. Shanny Jnr in San Fran (and before that in Atlanta as OC) has incorporated a lot more. It depends how well the OC they have brought from that system really understands the system. Mike McDaniel, he has it, he understands what makes it go and so he can tweak and wrinkle as he sees fit. The LaFleur brothers, less so. They are a bit more fit their players into the system as they learnt it and run that. You'd want an inside zone heavy system for Bijan to me. Similar to what Arthur Smith ran with the Titans actually. Lots of inside zone, some gap/power stuff in short yardage... almost the Derick Henry plan (but with more use as a receiver).

Since I was curious I looked it up. Slowik's experience is all over the place. He was a defensive assistant under Mike Shanahan, gets fired, works for PFF. Then Kyle gets the job in San Francisco and hires Slowik as a defensive quality control guy before he switches over to offense. He was passing game coordinator in 2022. IMO, I thought that Ryans should have hired an experienced OC to handle that side of the ball and handle his likely young QB. We shall see how it goes. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Since I was curious I looked it up. Slowik's experience is all over the place. He was a defensive assistant under Mike Shanahan, gets fired, works for PFF. Then Kyle gets the job in San Francisco and hires Slowik as a defensive quality control guy before he switches over to offense. He was passing game coordinator in 2022. IMO, I thought that Ryans should have hired an experienced OC to handle that side of the ball and handle his likely young QB. We shall see how it goes. 

Yea likewise. Feels a bit like repeating the Saleh / LaFleur mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don’t disagree, my point was only that there is a lot of chatter about Texans being enamored with him.  That includes my friend in Texas who’s got a close connection to the Texans and said he’s heard the same down there.  He’s actually pissed about the idea of them taking a RB too ha.  

He is hoping it’s just a smoke screen to hide who they really want or to try and entice someone to move up.  But as far as he has heard, the interest is allegedly legiti.

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Steelers (Beast) are on the clock
36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t disagree, my point was only that there is a lot of chatter about Texans being enamored with him.  That includes my friend in Texas who’s got a close connection to the Texans and said he’s heard the same down there.  He’s actually pissed about the idea of them taking a RB too ha.  

He is hoping it’s just a smoke screen to hide who they really want or to try and entice someone to move up.  But as far as he has heard, the interest is allegedly legiti.

Chris Ballard said it best yesterday- any “insider information” you hear, especially this week, is most likely a lie. No one is leaking any information unless they want to lose their jobs.  

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Lions (NewEra) are on the clock

With the 18th pick, the Detroit Lions select Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh.

We contemplated Lukas Van Ness, Nolan Smith, Brian Branch and Michael Mayer but felt Kanceys inside pass rush upside was too good to pass up. We feel he’s a perfect fit next to Alim McNeil.  

@RyanC883is on the clock

• Like (+1) 3

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Bucs (RyanC883) are on the clock
2 hours ago, NewEra said:

With the 18th pick, the Detroit Lions select Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh.

We contemplated Lukas Van Ness, Nolan Smith, Brian Branch and Michael Mayer but felt Kanceys inside pass rush upside was too good to pass up. We feel he’s a perfect fit next to Alim McNeil.  

@RyanC883is on the clock

pick incoming

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Here ya go: 

get a dislike for taking my guy for Tampa 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm willing to take calls for pick #20.

If I am reading the conventional trade value chart correctly, if the Bills wanted to get to #20, 27, 91, and 137 is a slight overpay. Assuming the Seahawks were even interested, I'm not sure Beane would be willing to pay that price given he only has six picks. I rather doubt it, though there is at least one player still on the board I think they would trade up to acquire.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If I am reading the conventional trade value chart correctly, if the Bills wanted to get to #20, 27, 91, and 137 is a slight overpay. Assuming the Seahawks were even interested, I'm not sure Beane would be willing to pay that price given he only has six picks. I rather doubt it, though there is at least one player still on the board I think they would trade up to acquire.

The question is, for who?

If I get an offer to trade up, I’ll post it.  But I personally don’t see any talent in this draft worth trading up for.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The question is, for who?

If I get an offer to trade up, I’ll post it.  But I personally don’t see any talent in this draft worth trading up for.

I think they would trade up for Addison, though probably not at the price it would take to get to #20.

• Like (+1) 1

With the 19th pick in the draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame.  Tampa actually has a horrid draft slot for what it needs most: a top tier OT or DE.  All were taken by the time this pick rolled around.  Also considered Steve Avila and would trade-up in the 2nd to get him (does Tampa have a 2nd, don't know).  Tampa needs to better protect the QB and OL all-around.  Mayer helps that by providing a great run blocker and safety valve should the OL not improve this year.   Tampa would like to get Avila and Burgerson (OT) later in the draft.  

The Seahawks and @GunnerBill are on the clock.  

• Like (+1) 2

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Seahawks (GunnerBill) are on the clock

Okay, nobody wants to come up for a receiver, I think in the real draft there are teams that would if Seattle wants to get out of this pick. But, here we are and so with the 20th pick in Virgil's version 3.0 Mock Draft of 2023, the Seattle Seahawks select:

Joey Porter Jnr, Cornerback, Penn State

The best player available and fits our scheme and fills a need. Tariq Woolen had an excellent season as a rookie but he is an aggressive attack corner and I want someone to balance that out on the other side with length and technique. I think Porter Jnr has the best cover technique coming out of the top 3 corners. He isn't as smooth as Gonzalez, he doesn't play the run and compete like Witherspoon, but in terms of an advanced coverage skillset I think he is right there. He can play man, he can play zone, he needs to be a bit less grabby when beaten, but that will come. We started Mike Jackson, a career backup, as our other corner in 2022. This is an immediate upgrade and playing with Jamal Adams, Quandre Diggs and Tariq Woolen gives Seattle its best secondary since the legion of boom days. 

@Alphadawg7 and the artist formerly known as the San Diego Chargers are now on the clock. 

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 3.0 - The Chargers (Alohadawg7) are on the clock

With the 21st pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select:  WR, Jordan Addison, USC CLICK HERE FOR HIGHLIGHTS

With our targets at TE and CB off the board, we turn our focus on infusing more youth and playmakers into our offense with Addison.  Giving Justin another weapon like Addison who excels as a route runner and can play all over the field was just too good to pass up here.  We are thrilled to still have our duo of Willams and Allen for him to learn the game from and know he Addison's presence on the field will only help their games as well.  

Next up are Alphadawg7 and the Baltimore Ravens.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.