The Las Vegas A's are coming in 2027

Draconator

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/news/a-s-buy-land-in-las-vegas-for-future-ballpark

The A’s have signed a binding agreement to purchase 49 acres of land in Las Vegas, which they plan to utilize as the site of their future new ballpark.

Looking to finalize a stadium deal by the January 2024 deadline imposed by Major League Baseball, A’s team president Dave Kaval said the club is directing its full attention to Southern Nevada after the process to build a new waterfront ballpark in Oakland has stalled over the past year.

Las Vegas is always a fun time and the A's will add to that, but damn. So many friendships are more were made in Oakland at A's games. It's a shame both sides couldn't get the Howard Terminal deal done. 

Edited by Draconator

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

How come Oakland can't hang on to any of it's teams anymore?

The mayors of Oakland wanted to keep the Raiders and the A's. Outside interests file lawsuits against the stadium projects for environmental and other BS reasons, which delays the negotiations, and extremely draws out the process. Then the Raiders and now the A's get love from another city, and the Mayor badmouths the teams. 

The A's and the City had a solid agreement to build a new stadium on a city 2-year college campus about 3 or 4 years ago. Then at the last minute, the board of directors at the college shot that deal down after they had originally agreed to it. So like I said, some other entity outside of the teams and the city leaders screw this up. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Would they still be called the Athletics?

I just looked, and they are 3-19. Maybe they should be the “Not Very Athletics”?  

How is the NBA team in Utah still the Jazz? Utah is more like Anti-Jazz. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just looked, and they are 3-19. Maybe they should be the “Not Very Athletics”?  

Because the name "Utah Tabernacle Choir" is too difficult to spell.

• Haha (+1) 6

***** the LASS Vegas A's!

"Show business kids making movies of themselves (Go to Las Wages, Las Wages)
You know they don't give a f**k about anybody else (You go to Las Wages)
You know you gonna..."

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Because S.Francisco right across Bay?

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Why is LA still The Lakers?

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why is LA still The Lakers?

That is easy. They wanted LA in the name, but LAers is too difficult to pronounce. Thus, they tried all possible consonants between the A and the E. "Lacers" sounds like a company producing ladies' underwear, "Lagers" would be a beer. The exclusion of "Lamers" or "Laters" is self-explanatory, "Laxers" is a good name for constipation remedy. Thus, "Lakers" was the best choice left. And nature seems to help them, if some of the results of the recent torrential rains in California stay permanently.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrW said:

That is easy. They wanted LA in the name, but LAers is too difficult to pronounce. Thus, they tried all possible consonants between the A and the E. "Lacers" sounds like a company producing ladies' underwear, "Lagers" would be a beer. The exclusion of "Lamers" or "Laters" is self-explanatory, "Laxers" is a good name for constipation remedy. Thus, "Lakers" was the best choice left. And nature seems to help them, if some of the results of the recent torrential rains in California stay permanently.

Lasers... 😏 

Or more stylized: Lazers

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Lasers... 😏 

Or more stylized: Lazers

Yes, you caught me here. They both would have been acceptable alternatives for my hypothesis. My, admittedly rather lame, excuse is that "lasers" or "lazers" could also be a name representing ophthalmologists doing LASIK surgery.

Completely independent of this discussion, but inspired by mentioning "ophthalmologists". I always thought I had good or at least acceptable vision, until last August when the ophthalmologist found cataracts in both eyes, more pronounced in the right. I had surgery on the right eye at the end of January, and the difference is like night and day. My vision is so much clearer now. And the surgery did not even interrupt my work schedule. I was able to give my biochemistry class the day after the surgery. The left eye will follow in June, after the classes for this semester are over.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

My kid went to San Fran for a job interview a few years back and strayed over to Oakland for a visit. 🫣

…..said he had a better appreciation of Buffalo. He’s been working in Paris since, so what does he know.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

My kid went to San Fran for a job interview a few years back and strayed over to Oakland for a visit. 🫣

…..said he had a better appreciation of Buffalo. He’s been working in Paris since, so what does he know.

We were in the Bay Area last summer. The people in the wife’s SF office told her to stay the hell away from downtown SF as much as possible. We did. Apparently it’s more like Oakland used to be. 

Landing in Paris sounds like an great adventure. My son’s crowd all wanted to live in NYC after graduating. It’s a cool dream, I guess, and for some it’s perfect. Just a few are left, but they all had a great life experience. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We were in the Bay Area last summer. The people in the wife’s SF office told her to stay the hell away from downtown SF as much as possible. We did. Apparently it’s more like Oakland used to be. 

Landing in Paris sounds like a great adventure. My son’s crowd all wanted to live in NYC after graduating. It’s a cool dream, I guess, and for some it’s perfect. Just a few are left, but they all had a great life experience. 

My kid has been working in NYC since he graduated from college in 2007. Took him awhile to get in a firm.

Then, just before Covid he…..whatever. Bounced around stateside doing interviews. Been in France since.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

My kid has been working in NYC since he graduated from college in 2007. Took him awhile to get in a firm.

Then, just before Covid he…..whatever. Bounced around stateside doing interviews. Been in France since.

Good for him! Great experience. My wife is technically based out of NYC. She says she doesn’t feel safe there since Covid. Most major cities have felt some bumps, I think. But bigger cities have the bigger jobs, if that’s what you are looking for. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The Athletics are a historic franchise; 122 years old. You have to keep the name.

40 minutes ago, Beast said:

Philadelphia A’s

Kansas City A’s

Oakland A’s

Las Vegas A’s

You can’t kill the A’s.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

3rd party interests file dumbass lawsuits which greatly slows down the negotiating process. Cities like Vegas come in, and say "We don't have anyone who's going to file a lawsuit over bird migration practices, and we'll give you whatever you want". Done deal. 

As for the Warriors, the owners funded the $1.4 Billion Dollar Arena. They were dead set against Oakland right from the start. They wanted the arena in the City of San Francisco, and that's exactly what they got. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

It isn’t Oakland that can’t hang onto any it’s teams anymore? This had very little to do with the loyal fans anymore than Buffalo, San Diego, Seattle NBA, Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and St Louis NFL losing there teams. This is about the toxic political and business environment in those cities at that time. The owner also plays a part but it has very little to do about the actual fans it has never been about the fans in these things. I am sure over the passage of time the large cities like Seattle NBA, San Diego, Oakland and St Louis will get another chance in the NBA or NFL at the expense of a current league member or expansion. 

Edited by I am leaving for good

1 hour ago, I am leaving for good said:

It isn’t Oakland that can’t hang onto any it’s teams anymore? This had very little to do with the loyal fans anymore than Buffalo, San Diego, Seattle NBA, Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and St Louis NFL losing there teams. This is about the toxic political and business environment in those cities at that time. The owner also plays a part but it has very little to do about the actual fans it has never been about the fans in these things. I am sure over the passage of time the large cities like Seattle NBA, San Diego, Oakland and St Louis will get another chance in the NBA or NFL at the expense of a current league member or expansion. 

Buffalo lost it's Braves to San Diego because the Celtics owner wanted to move the Celtics to West Coast. The NBA will not do that... So Buffalo was the patsy. The League brokered a deal for both owners to swap teams. The Braves then moved to San Diego.

***** the NBA.

Then the League admits the Dallas Mavericks as an expansion time. Has everything to do with screwing Buffalo at it's most vulnerable time in its history. 

Left the market open for the Raptors to come in a decade+ later...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

A's fan here.  I have mixed emotions on this.  Been a fan since late 80's.  It's tough to see what the team has become.  The downfall started when Al Davis made them build the monstrosity stands in center field.  The coliseum had a tremendous view before that and was quite nice looking.  Then they build that ugly thing and the whole atmosphere changed.  Fast forward to the current owner and his living out of the movie plot to Major League, except it actually worked.  I hate support this jerk, but it's my team.  Hopefully he'll actually spend some money now, but if they change their nickname from the A's to something new, I'm out and going to the Orioles.

Edited by Mark80

19 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I sure hope not because as an A's fan this angers me, I mean I understand but still sickening with the tradition built in Oakland shouldn't just go with them to Vegas.  I mean the field in Oakland is called Rickey Henderson field (my favorite player BTW), I don't see that happening in Vegas. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

A's fan here.  I have mixed emotions on this.  Been a fan since late 80's.  It's tough to see what the team has become.  The downfall started when Al Davis made them build the monstrosity stands in center field.  The coliseum had a tremendous view before that and was quite nice looking.  Then they build that ugly thing and the whole atmosphere changed.  Fast forward to the current owner and his living out of the movie plot to Major League, except it actually worked.  I hate support this jerk, but it's my team.  Hopefully he'll actually spend some money now, but if they change their nickname from the A's to something new, I'm out and going to the Orioles.

See I'm the opposite, I'd be more pissed if they keep the A's name. 

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I heard the owner will keep the name as is.

No No No GIF

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Beast said:

Philadelphia A’s

Kansas City A’s

Oakland A’s

Las Vegas A’s

You can’t kill the A’s.

A's, hard to believe, have been in Oakland longer than they were in Philadelphia as a founding AL member in 1901.

23 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Are they just going to play out the string for the next four years in Oakland before they move? Seems depressing. 

Yeah, that's going to be weird...they're not drawing flies now...before the end of the season, they may let the wharf rats in.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Dave Kaval said on MLB Radio on SIriusXM, "The Las Vegas A's has a nice ring to it". The A's name is styaing. 

1 hour ago, Arkady Renko said:

Are they just going to play out the string for the next four years in Oakland before they move? Seems depressing. 

There's some talk that MLB will add 8,000 seats to Las Vegas' new Triple-A ballpark and the A's would play there for 3 years until their new stadium is built. That would be a max attendance of 18,000 which is still more than what they draw now in Oakland.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:41 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Buffalo lost it's Braves to San Diego because the Celtics owner wanted to move the Celtics to West Coast. The NBA will not do that... So Buffalo was the patsy. The League brokered a deal for both owners to swap teams. The Braves then moved to San Diego.

***** the NBA.

Then the League admits the Dallas Mavericks as an expansion time. Has everything to do with screwing Buffalo at it's most vulnerable time in its history. 

Left the market open for the Raptors to come in a decade+ later...

Do we think that Buffalo could have supported a third pro team long term, though?

Edited by Arkady Renko

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.