Terrel Bernard Discussion

Yantha

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bobby Wagner was the best LB in the NFL for most of the last decade playing at 240-245 lbs. And that was on a 6ft frame. 

We can go back and forth with multiple examples. 

Hope I'm wrong and he can play. If not he will go down as even a worse pick than Ford.

right- he played 240-245-  you want your Mike to be 245-255.

I don’t think Bernard will ever be a MLB for us and I suspect he’ll be a busted pick.

I don’t think he can be worse than ford.  We traded UP to get Ford and his play actually hurt our team.  Bernard was a lesser pick and will play ST.  If Bernard starts and is terrible while losing games for us, then maybe I’d agree with him being a worse pick

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

And he was also weighed at 236-  who knows what he played at-  players usually lose weight during the season. I’m quite confidant that he played several games under 240.  

My point was- Ethan wants his Mike to be 245-255.  You want your Mike weighing 255?  Edmunds is the the most athletic big man freak MLB in history and he weighed 250.  Guys with that kind of body usually don’t run like Maine.  

I’d much rather have mine 235-245. 255 is a 4-3 DE. 

I was just pointing out accurate #'s. Kuechly was 6'3 and 242 when measured. So as compared to Campbell at 6'5" and 249, I'd be good with that. And if he were to lose say 6lbs as you stated Kuechly did or may have, that would put him at 243. Which is right in your range. No?

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Doc - I understand I have a different viewpoint.  But you do have to admit the whole "reach" discussion is based on people's expectations.   

I can't stop people from losing their mind when the Bills move up to draft Jack Campbell but I can give fair warning.  In my mind it makes sense.

Beane would be moving up to get ahead of the Giants.  It would be especially painful for Beane to be sniped by Shoen/Giants for JC.  The threat of the Giants is real - currently their starting lb is someone named Bobby Okereke.  Give me a break, that sounds pathetic.  The needs writeup says the Giants need an lb, "a run thumper would be perfect".   I can understand moving ahead of the Giants.

You have created a plausible narrative. I just don't like the story. I tend to agree with New Era and in this case I would rather choose from the pool of available veteran free agents for a stop gap solution over drafting a lb high. I would use day one and two assets for different positions. If one focuses on what one expects Beane and McDermott to prioritize, I believe there is some chance your scenario is correct which does not make me happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As much as I’m hopeful Bernard improves from year 1 to 2, my thought

is that if we acquire Hopkins or OBJ (he is the higher risk with two ACL repairs), then Jack Campbell at 27 would be logical.

In the 2nd round, we have more

latitude in picking a G or TE.  There will be a great deal of value at both positions in the 2nd and 3rd rds.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And he’s not here because it took him 5 years to figure it out. If he had played like he played last year, in 2021 and 2022, he’d still be on the team.  

The Giants paid Kenny Golladay 4-72M.  They weren’t right.

My only point there was that Edmunds isn’t anywhere as bad as many here think.  He was very young when drafted and still played well.  Was he Bruce Smith of LBs?  No, of course not, but he was a quality starting LB and I believe we will miss him in pass defense this year.  People will say that Poyer and Hyde are declining, but missing that huge agile presence in the middle zone will be the problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I was just pointing out accurate #'s. Kuechly was 6'3 and 242 when measured. So as compared to Campbell at 6'5" and 249, I'd be good with that. And if he were to lose say 6lbs as you stated Kuechly did or may have, that would put him at 243. Which is right in your range. No?

I’m fine with Campbell being our starting Mike. I just don’t want to spend our first rd pick on a Mike.  I want a tackle or a playmaker on O.  If we trade down and draft him, so be it.  It fills a need…. But I’d rather fill that need with a cheap vet + what we have rather than using our most prized offseason asset on a non premium position. 

my point was- 245-255 isn’t ideal for a MLB in 2023.  I think it’s 235-245

5 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

The draft miss on Terrell Bernard is the reason the Bills will have to reach for need again this year in the first round.  

I will never understand how wrong this pick was, and why?

I’m not sure that he was drafted to be Edmunds’ replacement.  I think he was drafted to play a role similar to Milano’s.  If they really did draft him to be Edmunds’ replacement, it is an even bigger head-scratcher than it already appeared to be.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m fine with Campbell being our starting Mike. I just don’t want to spend our first rd pick on a Mike.  I want a tackle or a playmaker on O.  If we trade down and draft him, so be it.  It fills a need…. But I’d rather fill that need with a cheap vet + what we have rather than using our most prized offseason asset on a non premium position. 

I can understand your preference.  So if we trade back to 33 you'd be ok taking Campbell?

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

My only point there was that Edmunds isn’t anywhere as bad as many here think.  He was very young when drafted and still played well.  Was he Bruce Smith of LBs?  No, of course not, but he was a quality starting LB and I believe we will miss him in pass defense this year.  People will say that Poyer and Hyde are declining, but missing that huge agile presence in the middle zone will be the problem.

I think your vision of “many” is clouded by a select few.  Yes, there were a few posters who said he was bad, but I wouldn’t my label it as many.  He just wasn’t living up to what we had hoped for and wasn’t going to be worth his next contract.  

From my experience here, most people thought he was an average to above average LB prior to 2023.  All the tools to be a top player, but something was missing.  Then it clicked for him this year and he was closer to the player we thought we were getting when we drafted him.  

36 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Doc - I understand I have a different viewpoint.  But you do have to admit the whole "reach" discussion is based on people's expectations.   

I can't stop people from losing their mind when the Bills move up to draft Jack Campbell but I can give fair warning.  In my mind it makes sense.

Beane would be moving up to get ahead of the Giants.  It would be especially painful for Beane to be sniped by Shoen/Giants for JC.  The threat of the Giants is real - currently their starting lb is someone named Bobby Okereke.  Give me a break, that sounds pathetic.  The needs writeup says the Giants need an lb, "a run thumper would be perfect".   I can understand moving ahead of the Giants.

The entire premise of your argument is that the bills care as much about “upgrading” MLB as much as you do. You really aren’t giving the idea that they feel there might be a replacement already on the roster any credence. We have no idea how they feel about what they have and we have no idea what type of scheme they will run this year. The idea of trading up for a MLB is beyond laughable to me. I don’t see it in any scenario. I’m fact, if they were so worried about that position, then I feel they would have paid David or Wagner, who returned on home team discounts. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Offensive playmakers are in short supply in round 1 of this draft.  FWIW, Pat Kirwan thinks only 2WRs will go in round 1.  I’m hoping for a good OT who can slide to G in the case that Spencer Brown improves.  I could be on board for Dalton Kincaid as the playmaker.  Not crazy about Bijon Robinson in round 1, but I could at least understand if the went that way.

I honestly can’t wait until we don’t take Campbell. I’ve never been more annoyed in a pre draft season by fans hanging on to ONE GUY. It’s beyond atrocious that anyone would want to ignore getting an elite playmaker or protection for Allen yet again in favor of a slow MLB.

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Offensive playmakers are in short supply in round 1 of this draft.  FWIW, Pat Kirwan thinks only 2WRs will go in round 1.  I’m hoping for a good OT who can slide to G in the case that Spencer Brown improves.  I could be on board for Dalton Kincaid as the playmaker.  Not crazy about Bijon Robinson in round 1, but I could at least understand if the went that way.

Kincaid is a fella I've been interested in for a while. In a weak Wr class, I think you look outside the box for playmakers and he is one of them. I am surmising the quality of Oline available at 27 will not be appreciably better than what you can probably get at 59. If you exclude playmakers, I'd love to get a solid OT with some positional versatility and Darnell Washington, a tremendous blocking TE that would make 12 personnel a valid option should Dorsey prove up to OC.

16 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I can understand your preference.  So if we trade back to 33 you'd be ok taking Campbell?

Not really.  I’m sure there would be other offensive players that I would prefer.  If we traded down mid 2nd and we’re able to draft Campbell + (Bergeron, Dawand, Mauch, Duncan, Avila, Schmitz or tippman) then I’d be ok with it.  I just want to upgrade our OL.  It was our downfall last season imo.  While I think we’ve improved it some, it’s not solidified by any means.  McB owes it to Josh and the fan base give him better protection and weapons. 

As a rule, I prefer not to spend a first round pick on a mlb.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

Not really.  I’m sure there would be other offensive players that I would prefer.  If we traded down mid 2nd and we’re able to draft Campbell + (Bergeron, Dawand, Mauch, Duncan, Avila, Schmitz or tippman) then I’d be ok with it.  I just want to upgrade our OL.  It was our downfall last season imo.  While I think we’ve improved it some, it’s not solidified by any means.  McB owes it to Josh and the fan base give him better protection and weapons. 

As a rule, I prefer not to spend a first round pick on a mlb.  

I honestly can’t understand how anyone would think otherwise. How can anyone feel a MLB is going to be the difference between now and a super bowl?  It’s an offensive league and we have one of the best qbs in the game. Why wouldn’t any fan want to maximize him in every way?  Our line was horrrible last year and we basically only added one guy. Why not try to keep improving it?  Also…Diggs and Allen are on the brink of being very vocal about their displeasure on the emphasis on offensive talent. Will a MLB move that threat?  Nope. The selection of a playmaker or OL shows those guys good faith from the GM that he has their back. 

• Agree 1

Ignoring everything we saw from him on film in his limited snaps, we can still conclude how the coaching staff feels about him based on his usage last year. After playing 98% of defensive snaps against the Jets in week 9, he played just 9 defensive snaps total over the next two games, and zero defensive snaps the rest of the season after that. And he was a healthy scratch in the divisional round against the Bengals.

Zero chance this regime plans on starting a player that they totally lost faith in during the back half of his rookie season. Whatever Beane says in front of the media, the Bills starting MLB for 2023 is not on the roster right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I honestly can’t understand how anyone would think otherwise. How can anyone feel a MLB is going to be the difference between now and a super bowl?  It’s an offensive league and we have one of the best qbs in the game. Why wouldn’t any fan want to maximize him in every way?  Our line was horrrible last year and we basically only added one guy. Why not try to keep improving it?  Also…Diggs and Allen are on the brink of being very vocal about their displeasure on the emphasis on offensive talent. Will a MLB move that threat?  Nope. The selection of a playmaker or OL shows those guys good faith from the GM that he has their back. 

💯 

and not just the back of the HC

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ignoring everything we saw from him on film in his limited snaps, we can still conclude how the coaching staff feels about him based on his usage last year. After playing 98% of defensive snaps against the Jets in week 9, he played just 9 defensive snaps total over the next two games, and zero defensive snaps the rest of the season after that. And he was a healthy scratch in the divisional round against the Bengals.

Zero chance this regime plans on starting a player that they totally lost faith in during the back half of his rookie season. Whatever Beane says in front of the media, the Bills starting MLB for 2023 is not on the roster right now.

Thank you for your opinion. 

7 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Thank you for your opinion. 

It isn't my opinion. It's the coaching staff's opinion.

The real issue here is that you are only going to be happy with an offensive player in the 1st round so you are stretching to find any reason that a 1st round defensive player is a bad pick. But we need a MLB. It's a glaring hole and no way they are going to rely on the likes of Bernard and Spector to fill it. If one of them develops into a good player, that's great. But that can't and won't be the plan.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I was pretty high on him after we drafted him.  Thought he could be an instinctive guy who plays fast, really good in open space who could be an effective blitzer.

Unfortunately we didn’t get a chance to see him play all that much which worries me and the little we did see he didn’t play fast.   I think that has more to do with him overthinking things than any sort of athletic limitations.

At this stage I would like to either draft or pick up a FA replacement for Edmunds.

Edited by Magox

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't my opinion. It's the coaching staff's opinion.

The real issue here is that you are only going to be happy with an offensive player in the 1st round so you are stretching to find any reason that a 1st round defensive player is a bad pick. But we need a MLB. It's a glaring hole and no way they are going to rely on the likes of Bernard and Spector to fill it. If one of them develops into a good player, that's great. But that can't and won't be the plan.

Hahahhaha!!!! You mean the same coaching staff that said the successor might already be on the roster?  Your opinion is that there is “zero chance” they go that route. That’s an opinion based on how you see it. That’s literally the definition of an opinion. 

Again…thanks for your OPINION…

8 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

I wonder if they might roll with Dodson & bring back Klien to rotate the 2. I suppose they might add a late free agent after the draft.

Doubtful…happy days says there is “zero chance” of this happening. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

The draft miss on Terrell Bernard is the reason the Bills will have to reach for need again this year in the first round.  

The worst part about the pick is that everyone at the time said it was a huge reach. It wasn't like Cody Ford where some thought he was a 1st round talent and no one felt that he was a reach when we drafted him. Bernard was supposed to be a 5th rounder. Completely whiffing on a 3rd rounder is annoying, but doing it on a 5th round talent makes it a lot worse.

I think McDermott trusted his buddy Dave Aranda (Baylor head coach) too much on this one. I think Aranda told him that Bernard is a hard worker and a team leader, which combined with the sideline to sideline range on his tape made McDermott salivate. No way Bernard was the BPA when they took him. They went into the draft specificaly targeting him and drafted him early to make sure they got him. It was a bad process and a bad pick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The worst part about the pick is that everyone at the time said it was a huge reach. It wasn't like Cody Ford where some thought he was a 1st round talent and no one felt that he was a reach when we drafted him. Bernard was supposed to be a 5th rounder. Completely whiffing on a 3rd rounder is annoying, but doing it on a 5th round talent makes it a lot worse.

I think McDermott trusted his buddy Dave Aranda (Baylor head coach) too much on this one. I think Aranda told him that Bernard is a hard worker and a team leader, which combined with the sideline to sideline range on his tape made McDermott salivate. No way Bernard was the BPA when they took him. They went into the draft specificaly targeting him and drafted him early to make sure they got him. It was a bad process and a bad pick.

I totally agree. Bernard was a huge mistake. If he was BPA at that spot then we have serious scouting issues. We could have taken a lineman or something else, but instead took a guy that no one had in the third. Really weird 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

And he was also weighed at 236-  who knows what he played at-  players usually lose weight during the season. I’m quite confidant that he played several games under 240.  

My point was- Ethan wants his Mike to be 245-255.  You want your Mike weighing 255?  Edmunds is the the most athletic big man freak MLB in history and he weighed 250.  Guys with that kind of body usually don’t run like Maine.  

I’d much rather have mine 235-245. 255 is a 4-3 DE. 

It would be even better if at 255 with athleticism 

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

You really have to question the scouting department. Considering the many prospects they passed on for their choices 😠

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

You mean the same coaching staff that said the successor might already be on the roster?

Yeah, the same coaching and front office staff that talked glowingly about Edmunds, and talked about him as if he was sure to be here for the long term. I remember people using those words to prove that Edmunds would be extended this offseason. Me, I paid attention to their actions, not their words. Their actions said that when they really liked a player they drafted or signed, they extended them at least a year early. Allen, White, Dawkins, Hyde. Once the beginning of the 2023 season came and Edmunds still wasn't extended, I knew the chances were dwindling. When we reached this offseason with the same result, I knew the chances were zero. Yet there were still people trying to say that Beane's past comments made an extension imminent.

Actions, not words.

So you're telling me that a player who was a healthy scratch in the last game of the season is their plan at MLB? And you believe this just because Beane said that the starting MLB might be on the roster? I don't care what he says. Their treatment of Bernard last year is all that I need to see.

It's of course still possible they will sign a MLB stopgap. I'm not saying a MLB in the 1st round is the only avenue to filling that hole. But it is a hole without a current solution on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

They compound that bad pick if it forces them to take a MLB at 27, imo. I am not as high on Campbell as some here appear to be. Maybe I'm wrong. If that's the direction they go, I'll think them mistaken and shall be rather irate, but I'll still hope that they are right and I am wrong. I believe they should sign a veteran free agent. If they want to take a swing on a mid-round lb to add to the mix, have at it. I would invest the early picks in oline and weapons for Josh. I think that is where the league is. McDermott is a D coach, let him coach up and work with the best we can give him within the parameters of using this year to first build a fortress around Josh and add to his weapons. If they hypothetically trade back from 27 and pick up an early second and a late third, I would still be inclined to draft OT and WR or TE2 in the second because that is where I think value and team needs on the side of the ball that ought to be emphasized best match up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, the same coaching and front office staff that talked glowingly about Edmunds, and talked about him as if he was sure to be here for the long term. I remember people using those words to prove that Edmunds would be extended this offseason. Me, I paid attention to their actions, not their words. Their actions said that when they really liked a player they drafted or signed, they extended them at least a year early. Allen, White, Dawkins, Hyde. Once the beginning of the 2023 season came and Edmunds still wasn't extended, I knew the chances were dwindling. When we reached this offseason with the same result, I knew the chances were zero. Yet there were still people trying to say that Beane's past comments made an extension imminent.

Actions, not words.

So you're telling me that a player who was a healthy scratch in the last game of the season is their plan at MLB? And you believe this just because Beane said that the starting MLB might be on the roster? I don't care what he says. Their treatment of Bernard last year is all that I need to see.

It's of course still possible they will sign a MLB stopgap. I'm not saying a MLB in the 1st round is the only avenue to filling that hole. But it is a hole without a current solution on the roster.

Yeah…the same coaching staff that put their first round corner as a healthy scratch multiple weeks. You are basing your opinion on that?  Come on man. This staff is notorious for not playing certain rookies. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I would invest the early picks in oline and weapons for Josh.

The issue is that there may not be good value for an offensive player at pick 27. The more I look at the draft, the more I see a front 7 player as the most likely value pick. Ideally I would love Quentin Johnston or Dalton Kincaid or Broderick Jones at our pick, I just don't think it's likely those players make it to us. I guess next you're looking at Jalin Hyatt as the most realistic offensive player to still be on the board for us who wouldn't be a huge reach, but I'm not even 100% confident he'll make it that far, and he isn't going to be a game changing player for anyone in his rookie year anyways.

Anyways the draft isn't the only avenue to improving our offense. I still want to end up with Hopkins, Jeudy, or OBJ. I'm going to be upset if we enter the season with Davis as our locked in #2. So I share your angst about adding offensive firepower, I'm just not going into the draft expecting a low 1st round rookie to take our offense to that next level.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The issue is that there may not be good value for an offensive player at pick 27. The more I look at the draft, the more I see a front 7 player as the most likely value pick. Ideally I would love Quentin Johnston or Dalton Kincaid or Broderick Jones at our pick, I just don't think it's likely those players make it to us. I guess next you're looking at Jalin Hyatt as the most realistic offensive player to still be on the board for us who wouldn't be a huge reach, but I'm not even 100% confident he'll make it that far, and he isn't going to be a game changing player for anyone in his rookie year anyways.

Anyways the draft isn't the only avenue to improving our offense. I still want to end up with Hopkins, Jeudy, or OBJ. I'm going to be upset if we enter the season with Davis as our locked in #2. So I share your angst about adding offensive firepower, I'm just not going into the draft expecting a low 1st round rookie to take our offense to that next level.

Just reported that OBJ apparently signed with the Ravens. I understand your point. Trade back might be best if you can find a partner with a decent return. What I am saying is I would still be inclined to do something like Hyatt and Matthew Bergeron and still skip MLB in the second. I really like Darnell Washington in the second, because as I am now going to annoyingly repeat from other posts, he adds a powerful blocker that aids the oline, a RZ threat, and credible 12 personnel play calls.

28 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I totally agree. Bernard was a huge mistake. If he was BPA at that spot then we have serious scouting issues. We could have taken a lineman or something else, but instead took a guy that no one had in the third. Really weird 

There is no salary cap for Scouts. I’d make it a priority like building the lines. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Does anyone recall McDermott or Beane being asked what the ideal role would be for Bernard? I think a fan base having to speculate on what role a third-round pick could fulfill, if he progresses the way management hopes.

If so, someone please share. If not, it's kinda nuts that some significant draft capital was spent and the fan base/journalists don't know exactly why. it's not like this should be pentagon secrets. A decent journalist should ask flat out, "if Bernard becomes the player you hope he will be, will he one day start and in what position?"

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

While true, it’s also a bit misleading. Bernard was Milano’s backup, and he only missed that single Jets game. 

Dodson was the primary MLB backup when Edmunds was out. 

Bernard played about 70% the special teams snaps, so it’s not like he was useless to the team. 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This pick was puzzling last year at the time and now it seems like his spot on the team is a big question mark

No it isn’t, anything his role is very clear. If Bills are the exact same defense as last year he’s Milano’s backup and he will get a chance to compete for the Mike.

If they opt to run more 3-LBer sets for various reasons, he has an inside track to start at the other OLB spot. 

Bernard could actually be the key to defensive scheme flexibility, something we haven’t seen for a few years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No it isn’t, anything his role is very clear. If Bills are the exact same defense as last year he’s Milano’s backup and he will get a chance to compete for the Mike.

If they opt to run more 3-LBer sets for various reasons, he has an inside track to start at the other OLB spot. 

Bernard could actually be the key to defensive scheme flexibility, something we haven’t seen for a few years. 

what has he done to show he’s capable of even being on the field defensively, let alone starting? I’d like to be proven wrong, just don’t see it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.