Terrel Bernard Discussion

Yantha

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What really struck me about him is that he really hasn't looked like the prospect those scouting reports describe so far. I hadn't watched him at all before the draft last year, but I found some videos after we picked him. I'm with those reports what I saw in college was an undersized, sub package, linebacker who looked great in space but struggled to hold up physically in the box particularly against the run. 

However, both in pre-season and limited regular season action for the Bills he has actually held up better than expected against the run, and hasn't been the non-factor I feared. The issue has been he has shown no coverage ability whatsoever. He looks slow in space and hasn't shown any of that sideline to sideline range. It is as if the guy on film at Baylor is not the same guy that turned up in Buffalo. I don't know if injuries at the end at Baylor have played a part, if he was just a bit overwhelmed by the NFL or something else but what we saw on the field last year was bad. Particularly in the areas he was supposed to be good. 

As for the "can he fill the Edmunds space" question.... I'm not sure the answer is yes even if we do get the guy from the film at Baylor in the longer term. 

Did he try and put on too much muscle to gain size for the NFL and lose speed and quickness?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Agreed 100% 

I truly believe the plan is him at OLB and we finally stop using CBs to match up with TEs. 

Our base Nickel was bad vs the run, and when Edmunds was out of the lineup it was horrible vs it. I think this is the year we go back to being a base 4-3, or at least match up with offensive personnel more.

I low key would love it too.

Sanders AND Campbell? I doubt it though, I think they have a plan for Bernard. 

The only issue I have with this thought process is it takes Taron Johnson off the field and replaces him with...who? Johnson is very solid against the run. Until White returns to form (assuming he does) or Elam takes a step forward Johnson would be our best CB IMO. Taking him off the field for a 3rd LB would really weaken the defense IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Did he try and put on too much muscle to gain size for the NFL and lose speed and quickness?

No, I think that would be too short of a timespan from being at the combine to the start of the NFL season.  I think the speed and quickness of the NFL compared to college is what the factor was.  It evened him out a little.  

He just needed the experience, and has to settle in.

I think he's going to be a good player, but maybe not as a starting MIDDLE linebacker.  SLB in 4-3 seems to be the better fit, with the task of covering tight ends etc....

I like Bernard and Spector, but I am praying for Jack Campbell.  It's a reach!!!!! Not worth a 1st round pick at 27!!!!!!   Well Zerholtz and the Chiefs took him at 31!

They must not get it!!  There's no way we can pass on him cause he ain't gonna make it past 32.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

The Bernard pick still baffles me.

A Milano clone that makes zero sense unless we go an actual 4-3. I hope to be surprised because wasting a 3rd rounder on a guy who won't suit up for two years is such a miss.

I honestly think they took Bernard in the third hoping to have a WIL backup that could step in and keep the defense from sinking in the event that Milano misses significant time to injury. 

I never thought the plan for him was to replace Edmunds at MIKE. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

A Milano clone that makes zero sense unless we go an actual 4-3. I hope to be surprised because wasting a 3rd rounder on a guy who won't suit up for two years is such a miss.

I'm willing to bet we see a lot more 4-3. We could send a LB from anywhere, anytime on every down. I could see Rapp splitting time with Johnson, especially against bigger backs and TEs as well as when they go dime.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Perhaps they thought it would be good to develop another Milano in case he ends up leaving after his current contract is up?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

What really struck me about him is that he really hasn't looked like the prospect those scouting reports describe so far. I hadn't watched him at all before the draft last year, but I found some videos after we picked him. I'm with those reports what I saw in college was an undersized, sub package, linebacker who looked great in space but struggled to hold up physically in the box particularly against the run. 

However, both in pre-season and limited regular season action for the Bills he has actually held up better than expected against the run, and hasn't been the non-factor I feared. The issue has been he has shown no coverage ability whatsoever. He looks slow in space and hasn't shown any of that sideline to sideline range. It is as if the guy on film at Baylor is not the same guy that turned up in Buffalo. I don't know if injuries at the end at Baylor have played a part, if he was just a bit overwhelmed by the NFL or something else but what we saw on the field last year was bad. Particularly in the areas he was supposed to be good. 

As for the "can he fill the Edmunds space" question.... I'm not sure the answer is yes even if we do get the guy from the film at Baylor in the longer term. 

I think it’s the classic paralysis by analysis. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think the main thing to remember here is that they liked him enough 12 months ago to spend a 3rd round pick on him. They didn't do that with last year in mind. If Beane believed in his ability enough then, he's going to get the opportunity to earn that starting spot now. A GM is going to believe in his guys and his plan...and I wouldn't really want a guy in that role that changed his mind every 12 months. We will see if he was the right pick...but frankly no one really knows what we have in this guy yet.

Exactly. I would say that the same group that believes Beane when he talks glowingly about Spencer brown are the same people that don’t believe a word he says when he says the edmunds replacement might already be on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

He's listed at 224 pounds. If Beane or McD thinks that is ok for MLB then they are coaching a different game than I am watching. You still need size up the middle. He is closer to a big nickel safety than he is a MLB. If he was insurance if Milano got hurt then it was a complete waste of a draft pick when the team needed other depth players. 

It doesn't really matter though. Our only hope with this coaching staff is Allen scores 40 a game. Get 3 more guys that can contribute on offense and a LB, DT, or edge in the top 4 picks

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Thanks for such a deep, detailed, and well thought out insight. 

Look we all watched him in preseason and in relief in season. It was bad. He sucked. My next thought out insight is this=we better find another option other than this guy .

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I think Hyde, Poyer and the two safeties we draft this year are expected to handle the slack from Edmunds.  In reality Edmunds played more like a safety than an LB. 

Yeah I know, that’s why I really didn’t like him. I want a down hill force that will seek and destroy instead of a guy floating back into passing lanes. I want a guy that looks like he has instincts running my defense…not a guy looking like he’s thinking then moving.

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Could be, but I don't even remember him having any reps.  Let's keep an eye out in preseason.

Yeah he never did anything in the regular season. He was all over the place in preseason though fwiw

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeah I know, that’s why I really didn’t like him. I want a down hill force that will seek and destroy instead of a guy floating back into passing lanes. I want a guy that looks like he has instincts running my defense…not a guy looking like he’s thinking then moving.

Yeah he never did anything in the regular season. He was all over the place in preseason though fwiw

The instincts will come after a rookie season, but he's got to put on like 15-20 pounds to be a seek and destroy linebacker.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Jack Campbell.....whose instincts and ability to call the defense as a rookie will probably be better than Tremaine in yr. 4.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.