Terrel Bernard Discussion

Yantha

This communal mock draft has made me start to look at Terrell Bernard a little closer.  I want to upgrade MLB in the absence of Edmunds, but there are really 3ish prospects in the draft that could get the job done, and I'd even narrow that down to two really...   The VALUE is not there to select MLB at 27, and the Bills (like WE did.....) would likely pick the value player at 27, like Jordan Addison or another value pick.

My hope is still that we trade down, and land Jack Campbell, but you have to find a trade partner to do so AND hope that someone doesn't trade AHEAD of us to steal him away.  I don't think it's a secret in the NFL world, that the Bills need MLB....

So, I've been thinking about Terrell Bernard.  Let's be honest and say he was a reach of a pick in round 3, but he's a Buffalo Bill and has had the benefit of some time being coached in NFL, and has some experience under his belt. 

Let's take a look back at the reasoning why Beane thought he was a 3rd rounder, and without TOO many vomit emojis (lol), find some good things to discuss about his play.  I'll post some scouting reports below.  Looking forward to some mindful discussion.

Discussion Point 1:  He's got a PFF grade of 65, which is decent (take that for what you will)

Discussion Point 2:  NFL.com (crappy as well) described him as an average backup or special teamer, with the following player profile.

Overview

Undersized sub-package nickel linebacker with special-teams value on the next level. Bernard possesses elite intangibles and teams will be drawn to him because of it. He's resilient, productive and showed a willingness to play through pain. However, Bernard lacks the desired frame and play strength and will face scrutiny surrounding his injury history. He needs space to operate and has the speed for man-cover duties as a pro. If the medicals check out, he should be a Day 3 pick with sub-package value.

Strengths

Scouts rave about his leadership and character.

Never-quit attitude despite adversity.

Film junkie who rang up 100-plus tackles in 2019 and 2021.

Rapid read and response against play-action.

On a continuous quest to go get the football.

Loose and fluid in pursuit and change of direction.

Bends and flattens off the corner as a blitzer.

Speed to cover man targets underneath.

Weaknesses

Slender frame might be maxed out.

Gets caught up too easily in the clutter.

Engulfed by size if he's not proactive.

Struggles to fit and hold a gap.

Knocked off-balance by redirect blocks.

Loses pursuit leverage, allowing back to cross his face.

Angles to runner leave little margin for error as tackler.

Average coverage recognition.

Has had foot, shoulder and knee injuries at Baylor.

Sources Tell Us

"If you don't like Bernard, then you don't like smart team leaders who can run. It's that simple." -- Scout for NFC team

Discussion Point 3:  Bleacher Report Prospect profile describes him as a high end developmental prospect 

POSITIVES

— Speed in space pops off the film. Highly effective pursuit defender sideline-to-sideline.

— Impressive flexibility and body control. Allows him to change directions and flow in space, as well as turn to make himself skinny when taking on blockers.

— Downhill speed can beat linemen to the spot and wiggle past them to shoot through a gap.

— Impressive turn-and-run speed and change of direction in coverage. Regularly had to carry tight ends up the seam and back across the field on crossers and kept up with them step for step.

— Effective as a blitzer, particularly looping around the edge. Has the speed and bend to be a problem in space and finish sacks with his speed.

NEGATIVES

— Size and weight is a concern. Handily overwhelmed by offensive linemen if they get a hand on him more often than not. Does not take on blocks effectively.

— Not a physical tackler. Struggles to strike through runners and bring them down where they are.

— Eye candy can give him some trouble at times. Regularly comes up too far on play action and fails to regain depth. Shifts, motions and players coming across the line of scrimmage at the snap to block can get him to hesitate.

— Can get lost in the mosh pit against heavier and tighter formations. Does not have the strength or comfort to handle those situations.

— Limited in coverage right now assignment-wise despite his range. Only comfortable turning and running across the field in man or match coverage. Needs to prove more as a zone-coverage defender playing top-down.

2021 STATISTICS

13 G, 103 TOT, 12.5 TFL 7.5 SK, 4 PBU

OVERALL

Terrell Bernard has been a linebacker since the day Baylor recruited him, but he looks and plays like a safety who was converted to linebacker.

The sideline-to-sideline range Bernard shows off is among the best in the class, as is his flexibility and change of direction. Many of his best plays feature him flying across from the opposite side of a run play to shoot through a gap or firing downhill to slip past a blocker into the backfield, Lavonte David style. All of that range and agility shows up when he's asked to cover players in tight coverage as well.

The concerns with Bernard's game stem mostly from size and strength. He is not necessarily unwilling to scrap with blockers, but he doesn't have the length or strength to engage blocks and fight back effectively. Bernard will also need to expand his coverage toolbox in the NFL, though his speed alone should allow him to play some man coverage and consistently make tackles on the perimeter.

Bernard projects best as a weak-side linebacker. As a weak-side linebacker, he would more regularly be protected by seeing runs away from him, allowing him to shoot gaps as a pursuit player or flow over the top to finish plays on the perimeter. Bernard would also be allowed to handle running backs out of the backfield more often than not, which is a good matchup for him considering his athletic traits.

Bernard is not a Day 1 starter, but his speed alone makes him an enticing developmental option.

Edited by Yantha
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

• Yantha changed the title to Terrel Bernard Discussion

What really struck me about him is that he really hasn't looked like the prospect those scouting reports describe so far. I hadn't watched him at all before the draft last year, but I found some videos after we picked him. I'm with those reports what I saw in college was an undersized, sub package, linebacker who looked great in space but struggled to hold up physically in the box particularly against the run. 

However, both in pre-season and limited regular season action for the Bills he has actually held up better than expected against the run, and hasn't been the non-factor I feared. The issue has been he has shown no coverage ability whatsoever. He looks slow in space and hasn't shown any of that sideline to sideline range. It is as if the guy on film at Baylor is not the same guy that turned up in Buffalo. I don't know if injuries at the end at Baylor have played a part, if he was just a bit overwhelmed by the NFL or something else but what we saw on the field last year was bad. Particularly in the areas he was supposed to be good. 

As for the "can he fill the Edmunds space" question.... I'm not sure the answer is yes even if we do get the guy from the film at Baylor in the longer term. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

I keep thinking about Marv Levy's adage, "It's last year's rookies that are important." I assume Bernard will return stronger, and maybe a little heavier. He should be better, which isn't saying much, I realize. It sounds like his upside is a smaller Milano, which I'll take. 

• Like (+1) 4

If we are gonna use Bernard as one of our two base LB then we need a second DaQuan Jones type to eat up blockers. Bernard can fly around but he is never gonna be able to eat up or shed a blocker, so we gotta keep them busy before he gets there. Secondly is if he our second LB I bet we go Big Safety a lot and have Hyde, Poyer, and Rapp on field together on most 2nd and 10 situations along with the usual 3rd and 10

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What really struck me about him is that he really hasn't looked like the prospect those scouting reports describe so far. I hadn't watched him at all before the draft last year, but I found some videos after we picked him. I'm with those reports what I saw in college was an undersized, sub package, linebacker who looked great in space but struggled to hold up physically in the box particularly against the run. 

However, both in pre-season and limited regular season action for the Bills he has actually held up better than expected against the run, and hasn't been the non-factor I feared. The issue has been he has shown no coverage ability whatsoever. He looks slow in space and hasn't shown any of that sideline to sideline range. It is as if the guy on film at Baylor is not the same guy that turned up in Buffalo. I don't know if injuries at the end at Baylor have played a part, if he was just a bit overwhelmed by the NFL or something else but what we saw on the field last year was bad. Particularly in the areas he was supposed to be good. 

As for the "can he fill the Edmunds space" question.... I'm not sure the answer is yes even if we do get the guy from the film at Baylor in the longer term. 

When I transitioned from High School to college, my play took a significant step backwards for two reasons.

1.  Level of play

2.  "the head game" i.e. WORRIED about screwing up my assignment.  Ironically, trying to stick to your assignment can actually be a detriment...  You need to feel the flow of the game and react / read it accordingly.  

I hope that Bernard may have just had to settle in to life in the NFL... and gain that confidence he will need (even if he's a backup).  Once he gets it...  I think he'll become that sideline to sideline player.

BUT he better show up to camp 10 LBS heavier.

4 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

If we are gonna use Bernard as one of our two base LB then we need a second DaQuan Jones type to eat up blockers. Bernard can fly around but he is never gonna be able to eat up or shed a blocker, so we gotta keep them busy before he gets there. Secondly is if he our second LB I bet we go Big Safety a lot and have Hyde, Poyer, and Rapp on field together on most 2nd and 10 situations along with the usual 3rd and 10

AGREED!

Check out this prospect from Texas.  335 lb monster in the middle....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know it sounds crazy and I know it’s not going to be popular but I keep going back to… what if Spector factors in here? The guy really was good in pre season and I know I have seen articles stating he was really getting after it in the offseason. There is a theory where the Bills think Edmunds replacement is in house. Obviously there is going to be some sort of competition. Everyone’s mind jumps to Bernard but what if it’s Spector?

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know it sounds crazy and I know it’s not going to be popular but I keep going back to… what if Spector factors in here? The guy really was good in pre season and I know I have seen articles stating he was really getting after it in the offseason. There is a theory where the Bills think Edmunds replacement is in house. Obviously there is going to be some sort of competition. Everyone’s mind jumps to Bernard but what if it’s Spector?

Could be, but I don't even remember him having any reps.  Let's keep an eye out in preseason.

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think Hyde, Poyer and the two safeties we draft this year are expected to handle the slack from Edmunds.  In reality Edmunds played more like a safety than an LB. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Locked In Bills did a whole episode on him and Dodson, a really good listen. 

Basically, the game was still very fast for him in 2022 and his only action was filling in for Milano, not Edmunds (which are 2 different positions). He plays with his arse on fire but has the issues you’d expect a 224 pound rookie to have. Bernard relies on his athleticism to beat blocks, this doesn’t translate well to MLB. 

My speculation is Bills may be looking to play more 3-LB sets than they have years past, as Bernard truly best spot it OLB. Milano isn’t leaving the weak side, meaning Bernard likely lines up covering TEs, but this is actually a good thing. 

I’m very excited to see Bernard this season, but I think our defense as a whole will look a little different. 

10 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’ve heard he hasn’t left OBD, he’d be a pleasant surprise but I don’t think the team will bank on him at MLB. Sounds like he will get a chance to compete though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Locked In Bills did a whole episode on him and Dodson, a really good listen. 

Basically, the game was still very fast for him in 2022 and his only action was filling in for Milano, not Edmunds (which are 2 different positions). He plays with his arse on fire but has the issues you’d expect a 224 pound rookie to have. Bernard relies on his athleticism to beat blocks, this doesn’t translate well to MLB. 

My speculation is Bills may be looking to play more 3-LB sets than they have years past, as Bernard truly best spot it OLB. Milano isn’t leaving the weak side, meaning Bernard likely lines up covering TEs, but this is actually a good thing. 

I’m very excited to see Bernard this season, but I think our defense as a whole will look a little different. 

Thanks!  I'll look for the episode.

On a side note, are you Canadian by chance?  

We need to remember that Matt Milano was a fifth round pick so it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that a third and a seventh rounder can’t compete to be a starter. They drafted these guys as a contingency plan to losing edmunds, so it’s up to them to coach them up now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don’t know this but did he maybe try to bill a little based on the reports and hurt quickness?

I think the main thing to remember here is that they liked him enough 12 months ago to spend a 3rd round pick on him. They didn't do that with last year in mind. If Beane believed in his ability enough then, he's going to get the opportunity to earn that starting spot now. A GM is going to believe in his guys and his plan...and I wouldn't really want a guy in that role that changed his mind every 12 months. We will see if he was the right pick...but frankly no one really knows what we have in this guy yet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

What if Bills shocked everyone and went LB-LB in the first 2 rounds.

SLB - Sanders - Mata 

MLB - Campbell - Dodson

WLB - Milano - Bernard 

🤯

3 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Thanks!  I'll look for the episode.

On a side note, are you Canadian by chance?  

No, just being slick with curses and have been reading a book that says arse all the time hahah He also did an episode on Spencer Brown, Ed Oliver, and will do Gave Davis next!

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

What if Bills shocked everyone and went LB-LB in the first 2 rounds.

SLB - Sanders - Mata 

MLB - Campbell - Dodson

WLB - Milano - Bernard 

🤯

No, just being slick with curses and have been reading a book that says arse all the time hahah He also did an episode on Spencer Brown, Ed Oliver, and will do Gave Davis next!

Linebacker is my favorite position to watch during games.....  I'd LOVE that draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think the main thing to remember here is that they liked him enough 12 months ago to spend a 3rd round pick on him. They didn't do that with last year in mind. If Beane believed in his ability enough then, he's going to get the opportunity to earn that starting spot now. A GM is going to believe in his guys and his plan...and I wouldn't really want a guy in that role that changed his mind every 12 months. We will see if he was the right pick...but frankly no one really knows what we have in this guy yet.

Agreed 100% 

I truly believe the plan is him at OLB and we finally stop using CBs to match up with TEs. 

Our base Nickel was bad vs the run, and when Edmunds was out of the lineup it was horrible vs it. I think this is the year we go back to being a base 4-3, or at least match up with offensive personnel more.

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

Linebacker is my favorite position to watch during games.....  I'd LOVE that draft.

I low key would love it too.

Sanders AND Campbell? I doubt it though, I think they have a plan for Bernard. 

• Vomit 1

It seems like there is a real push-me pull-me on the Bills Board.  Its seems there is a consensus that the NFL as a whole has "devalued" the LB position. It also seems people seem to think the most important position on the Bills defense is a linebacker who is no longer with the team.  The Bills scheme will just shift to whatever allows all the other teams to "devalue" LBs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.