Cover 1 Just put out a new Mock Draft, Edge round 1.

PrimeTime101

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Who did they pick?

Will McDonald, Iowa State. Wasn't exactly an overwhelming favorite,because they discussed WR and LB. Took a center in Rd 2 ( they were ok with Tippman or Whyple) them WR Jalen Reed in the 3rd. I couldn't listen any longer than that 

54 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

Edge is sneaky need. Who are we banking on? 34 year old Von coming off of ACL surgery? Rousseau to make a huge leap. AJE and Boogie are definition of JAG. This defense becomes extremely soft without a rush. No more Frazier, this is McDs defense this year. He is going to want to put his stamp on it. 1st pick is definitely defense imo. ILB is a more glaring need but edge is not far behind at all. 

okay...1. Campbell

2. Foskey

3. BPA  DT

Just now, Herb Nightly said:

Will McDonald, Iowa State. Wasn't exactly an overwhelming favorite,because they discussed WR and LB. Took a center in Rd 2 ( they were ok with Tippman or Whyple) them WR Jalen Reed in the 3rd. I couldn't listen any longer than that 

Change round 2 to OT and I would absolutely love this draft! 👍

24 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

We need Campbell.

He's gonna be Urlacher 2.0 ...He'll be ready to start day one and just keep getting better...for 5 yrs!   I do like the next 2 picks !

He'll look like a savvy vet compared to the last 1st. rd. rookie we threw in there.

Edited by nosejob

44 minutes ago, nosejob said:

We need Campbell.

He's gonna be Urlacher 2.0 ...He'll be ready to start day one and just keep getting better...for 5 yrs!   I do like the next 2 picks !

He'll look like a savvy vet compared to the last 1st. rd. rookie we threw in there.

If Campbell is a 3 down starter from day 1 and for 5 years, that is a perfectly good use of pick 27. (some ifs in there though)

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

I do feel like we could use another piece at EDGE, but I wonder if it doesn’t make more sense to just wait until we get closer to camp and sign one of the many pass rushers still available.  

This is a huge year for Rousseau, and the Bills will want to give Epenesa every chance to show he warrants a legit second contract, here, or elsewhere, but we could really use a reliable vet pass rusher to throw in the rotation and allow us to bring Von back slowly.  

If we do go defense again 27, it should be DL.   LB is just such a value waste for that pick in a modern defense. 

Epenesa stinks. How many years of stinkness do you need to figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think there are any middle linebackers who are close to a first round value in the draft.  A case can be made for drafting Trenton Simpson at 27 and hoping you can teach him how to play MLB, but Sanders and Campbell are second round values IMO.  Will McDonald IV would not be my pick either. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So I slammed them hard in live chat about going Edge in round 1 and ignoring ILB in early rounds. But... Listening to them talk about going Edge in round 1. They do make sense though I still disagree. I am hoping I am right about going Edge round 1 is a horrible decision but maybe someone here can prove me wrong?

here is the link.

Will McDonald is a much better prospect then Campbell. Kid has massive potential can easily be double digit sack lineman in the NFL. He played 5tech in 3-4 defense and still has 34 sacks in his college career and that’s with him being massively undersized for the 5 tech position. Will Mc is at around 236lbs right now if he can get himself up to 255 by yr 2 he’s going to be an absolute stud. 

I don’t know why people lean to taking less talented players just because it’s a position of so called need. The difference makers in the NFL make the difference not your prototype players. Right now we are very short on difference making talent. I’ll take McDonald over Campbell any day and twice on Sundays. 

• Like (+1) 1

Because it’s a premium position AND a position of need. Just because you haven’t had success drafting it in recent years doesn’t mean you stop trying to get it right. I know it’s a hot take, but I would have absolutely zero issues with Beane drafting another DE (or even another DT) in the 1st round if they’re the BPA.

Edited by gobills404
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

IDK, I think going Defense round 1 or the thought of it, in yet another draft? just makes me physically ill lol

I agree, but somehow we have a huge hole in defense with 5 straight years of first round picks...🙄

MLB won't fix itself. I still hope for a OL player but value doesn't look great so IDK.

4 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

Campbell is not a 1st round talent imo.

2022 unanimous All American 1st team...2nd team in 2021...Captain...Academic All-Big Ten for three years...Butkus Award as top linebacker in the nation in 22, and semi-finalist in 2021...

The 7th best RAS athlete at LB in the history of recording RAS...By way of comparison...Tremaine Edmunds is an excellent athlete with an excellent RAS, and he's 88th in RAS all time...And Campbell is FAR more experienced at MLB coming in, and a much more instinctive player entering the NFL.

But sure...Not a 1st round talent...B-)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Guys, I don't think most people commenting here understand what the Cover 1 mock draft was about...

It was dealing with a random computer-generated mock and they had to pick from the remaining players that the computer left them each round. The three guys said several times that the generation was NOT kind to them in the first two rounds. And a no-trade rule.

This is NOT who they advocate the Bills should pick; it was just a fun exercise of playing with some draft generator and justifying who the Bills should take based on where the board happened to fall.

The Cover 1 guy said he wanted WR, O-line or MLB first round. But none of the players the guys liked at those positions happened to be left at 27. They also acknowledged that Beane wound not wait if a guy he really like was a few spots away; Beane would swing a trade.

Relax. They're not saying pick edge with 27th overall.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KOKBILLS said:

2022 unanimous All American 1st team...2nd team in 2021...Captain...Academic All-Big Ten for three years...Butkus Award as top linebacker in the nation in 22, and semi-finalist in 2021...

The 7th best RAS athlete at LB in the history of recording RAS...By way of comparison...Tremaine Edmunds is an excellent athlete with an excellent RAS, and he's 88th in RAS all time...And Campbell is FAR more experienced at MLB coming in, and a much more instinctive player entering the NFL.

But sure...Not a 1st round talent...B-)

I get it. Great teammate and production. Tested well. But I really don't see the instincts with him. And he struggles to shed blocks. Not a game changer. The Posluszny comp is real. I could be ok with him middle/late round two. 27 would be a major reach. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Will McDonald is a much better prospect then Campbell. Kid has massive potential can easily be double digit sack lineman in the NFL. He played 5tech in 3-4 defense and still has 34 sacks in his college career and that’s with him being massively undersized for the 5 tech position. Will Mc is at around 236lbs right now if he can get himself up to 255 by yr 2 he’s going to be an absolute stud. 

I don’t know why people lean to taking less talented players just because it’s a position of so called need. The difference makers in the NFL make the difference not your prototype players. Right now we are very short on difference making talent. I’ll take McDonald over Campbell any day and twice on Sundays. 

McDonald is fast, very undersized and a pretty old player to be a rookie. McDonald is one year younger than Tremaine Edmunds and Edmunds already has 5 years NFL experience.  That doesn’t disqualify McDonald or mean that he can’t be good, but factor in that he probably needs a year to learn a newish position and bulk up (then you don’t know for sure he won’t lose critical speed) and that he will be 29 when his rookie contract is up and I would be hesitant to do this.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

McDonald is fast, very undersized and a pretty old player to be a rookie. McDonald is one year younger than Tremaine Edmunds and Edmunds already has 5 years NFL experience.  That doesn’t disqualify McDonald or mean that he can’t be good, but factor in that he probably needs a year to learn a newish position and bulk up (then you don’t know for sure he won’t lose critical speed) and that he will be 29 when his rookie contract is up and I would be hesitant to do this.

It is a theme in this class. A lot of older prospects who have used their additional years of eligibility for covid etc to strike in a weaker class and probably get drafted a round earlier than they would otherwise have done. 

It is a good point you make on McDonald. Because he is a projection. He played 5 tech in college but he looks at his best in the rare spots where they let him line up at 7 or 9 and rush the passer off the edge. Projecting him to transition there full time if he is 21 is one thing. Doing it when he is 24 you would have to take pause and work through whether that is maximising your 1st round opportunity.

I do like the player but I have a mid 2nd on him and he is a trade down from #27 type target for me rather than a pick at that spot guy.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So I slammed them hard in live chat about going Edge in round 1 and ignoring ILB in early rounds. But... Listening to them talk about going Edge in round 1. They do make sense though I still disagree. I am hoping I am right about going Edge round 1 is a horrible decision but maybe someone here can prove me wrong?

here is the link.

It's neither right nor wrong till you know who they think will be available and who they would draft. 

Edge is a need. If there's a really good one there, it would be worth it. I'm not convinced a really good one will be there, but it's all about BPA at positions of need. Edge is a position of need.

Beane screwed us by drafting a smurf in the 3rd round last year and made it worse not signing a veteran to replace Edmunds. 

At this point there are too many holes to fill because he has missed on so many day 2 picks. 

Edge might be a bigger need than MLB. Dodson is probably better at MLB than Epenesa or Basham is at end.

If they went edge, and then 4 straight players on offense I would be ok with that. The secondary should be elite again. If they can add a legit pass rusher then they can survive with a below average MLB. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah i get that, but some of us were talking about going edge since the combine…now all of a sudden the switch? Very convenient. 

It isn't a switch. I say that as a regular listener. Cover1 has been talking about DE and DT as legitimate possibilities since January.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I agree, but somehow we have a huge hole in defense with 5 straight years of first round picks...🙄

MLB won't fix itself. I still hope for a OL player but value doesn't look great so IDK.

We don't have a huge hole in the defense except for one ... where we let one of those first round picks leave because he was so good he priced himself out of our salary cap range.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I’m leaning LBer or DT.  After this season there’s not 1 DT under contract and the LBer room speaks for itself.  

After this season, we may be facing wholesale changes. Hyde, Poyer, Miller, Morse are all older beat up.  All of them could be gone. Tre White post injury was not good, without a return to form for White, and Hyde and Poyer aging, the secondary is a disaster.  Bills should use the first round pick on someone who can contribute in 2023 as well as in the future. Drafting a DT now who doesn't improve the position meaningfully in 2023, in order to fill a 2024 makes little sense to me.

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don't want to draft McDonald, but teams should only count on the rookie contract.  In the case of Edmunds, we could not afford his peak years, after the rookie contract. With McDonald we would be getting his peak years for the entire rookie contract.  

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

After this season, we may be facing wholesale changes. Hyde, Poyer, Miller, Morse are all older beat up.  All of them could be gone. Tre White post injury was not good, without a return to form for White, and Hyde and Poyer aging, the secondary is a disaster.  Bills should use the first round pick on someone who can contribute in 2023 as well as in the future. Drafting a DT now who doesn't improve the position meaningfully in 2023, in order to fill a 2024 makes little sense to me.

I don't want to draft McDonald, but teams should only count on the rookie contract.  In the case of Edmunds, we could not afford his peak years, after the rookie contract. With McDonald we would be getting his peak years for the entire rookie contract.  

I would argue that his rookie year won’t be a peak year as he would be learning a new position and trying to put on enough muscle to get on the field.  If the Bills were a 3-4 base defense, it would be a similar issue with McDonald needing to learn how to play off ball and in coverage.  Add in that in both scenarios, you don’t know for sure how good he will be in new role and with more weight.

Regarding 2nd contracts, I think that depends on where a given team is.  If a team has a bonafide star QB taking up a huge chunk of the cap (or young QB about to be), it will be hard to sign anyone to a second contract.  On the flip side, if you have a a good young QB on a rookie deal or don’t have an answer at QB, then easier to sign 2nd contracts with your draftees.  

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's neither right nor wrong till you know who they think will be available and who they would draft. 

Edge is a need. If there's a really good one there, it would be worth it. I'm not convinced a really good one will be there, but it's all about BPA at positions of need/Value. Edge is a position of need.

bolded fixed it for ya. And I agree :D 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.