Draft Busts 2023

Zerovoltz

Who is getting all the hype that isn't deserving?  Who is destined for a bad situation never to live up to their potential?  Who just plain sucks?  Make your call here.

1.  CJ Stroud.  QB, Ohio St.  He played great VS Georgia, but I see the same one read guy that Ohio St. always has throwing to NFL WR's behind and NFL line.  

2. Tyree Wilson.  Edge, Texas Tech.  I just don't see it.  For being the size and measurables he is, that guy should have been killing it in college.

3.  Peter Skoronski. OT, Northwestern.  I'm not guying that he can play LT with his T rex arms.  I'll believe it when I see it.  I wouldn't risk a top 10 pick to find out.

4. Darnell Wright OT, Tennessee.  This one is more situational than others..but he needs to be on a run heavy team IMO.  I'm not sold on his pass blocking as a LT in the NFL.

5. Adetomiwa Adebawore, DL, Northwestern.  Pains me to say it becasue he's a Kansas City kid, but dude was destined for 4th or 5th round until the combine.  Workout warrior.

6. Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon St.  Will join a long list of athletic TE who actually were never good at plaing TE but get drafted like they are.

7. Cody Mauch, OT, North Dakota St.  Getting WAY too much hype.  Played small school that RUNS most of the time.  This is not an NFL caliber pass blocker.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'll go 1 by 1 through yours:

1. CJ Stroud - I don't think he will bust. Will he become a top end guy? No maybe not. Not sure what the ceiling is. But he is the most accurate passer I have seen come out of Ohio State. 

2. Tyree Wilson - needs the right situation is still very raw - but if he finds he could be a star. If he doesn't the bust potential is there.

3. Peter Skoronski - I agree he can't play left tackle. I have him graded as a guard with some tackle flex. I think at guard he could be very, very good.

4. Darnell Wright - If you play Wright LT in the NFL he is for sure a bust. He couldn't play left tackle in college. His shot at being a decent NFL player is at right tackle.

5. Adetomiwa Adebawore - 100% agree.

6. Luke Musgrave - yea boom or bust. Huge projection. Wouldn't shock me if he busted. 

7. Cody Mauch - again he is a bust if you want to play him at tackle. He is a guard where he has a chance to be a starter (but he won't be a pro bowl type).

Then I'll add a few of my own. 

8. Dawand Jones - there isn't one thing to like about him technically. Why might he get drafted early? Because he is a huge man and played at a big school. That's it.

9. Zay Flowers - he is too small. Too weak. Lacks length. He might be a serviceable slot and gimmick player somewhere for a few years. That's it.

10. Nolan Smith - I don't think he knows what he is doing. He got by in college on his own superior talent and the superior talent of those around him. If someone wanted to take a shot late 2nd or in the 3rd round in the hopes of coaching him up, I could get behind it. But he us gonna go round 1 and I see no pass rush skill or technique there at all.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Who is getting all the hype that isn't deserving?  Who is destined for a bad situation never to live up to their potential?  Who just plain sucks?  Make your call here.

1.  CJ Stroud.  QB, Ohio St.  He played great VS Georgia, but I see the same one read guy that Ohio St. always has throwing to NFL WR's behind and NFL line.  

2. Tyree Wilson.  Edge, Texas Tech.  I just don't see it.  For being the size and measurables he is, that guy should have been killing it in college.

3.  Peter Skoronski. OT, Northwestern.  I'm not guying that he can play LT with his T rex arms.  I'll believe it when I see it.  I wouldn't risk a top 10 pick to find out.

4. Darnell Wright OT, Tennessee.  This one is more situational than others..but he needs to be on a run heavy team IMO.  I'm not sold on his pass blocking as a LT in the NFL.

5. Adetomiwa Adebawore, DL, Northwestern.  Pains me to say it becasue he's a Kansas City kid, but dude was destined for 4th or 5th round until the combine.  Workout warrior.

6. Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon St.  Will join a long list of athletic TE who actually were never good at plaing TE but get drafted like they are.

7. Cody Mauch, OT, North Dakota St.  Getting WAY too much hype.  Played small school that RUNS most of the time.  This is not an NFL caliber pass blocker.

You're out of line on Skoronski, Mauch and Musgrave...

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well it’s settled then. The Bills should sit this draft out. 😉

I mean if you were ever going to sit a draft out, fall asleep Marv Levy style and wake up on Sunday realising you missed all your picks..... this is the one to do it in. Haha.

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Disagree on CJ Stroud.

Quarterbacks are tough to evaluate, but he has shown the ability to make all the throws and has pretty good accuracy.  And I really like the situation he's likely going into with Carolina and Frank Reich.  I would take him before Bryce Young without question.

My biggest question with him, is that he's played with nothing but NFL-quality wide receivers.

Jalen Carter is Marcel Dareus v 2.0.  

Anthony Richardson:  95% athlete, 5% football player.  He'd benefit sitting for 2023-2024 and learning the game but some team will make the mistake and try to play him immediately and he'll fare poorly.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

37 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I don't agree on Darnell Wright, except the LT part, since he's  RT and that's where he'll play.

When he was born, the doctor most definitely told his mother, "Ma'am, your son is going to be a Right tackle in the NFL."

Watch the tape against Georgia and Alabama and watch the Senior Bowl practices.  There's actually a great video on Youtube analyzing his footwork.  Its very good.

If you watch the Alabama tape, you might finish it wondering if its not Will Anderson who might be the bust.  Wright did that good of a job on him.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll put myself out there and say Jaxon Smith-Njigba will bust, at least relative to his draft spot. A WR with just okay size metrics who missed a year with a lower leg injury... that's a scary combination. I would feel better if it was an ACL tear which is just a freak injury that can happen to anyone, but hamstring injuries tend to follow you throughout your career. If he was explosive I would say bet on the traits. But I just don't get excited enough about his ceiling to think he's worth the risk.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Anthony Richardson:  95% athlete, 5% football player.  He'd benefit sitting for 2023-2024 and learning the game but some team will make the mistake and try to play him immediately and he'll fare poorly.  

I agree 100% on Richardson. Some team will overdraft him and be incredibly disappointed.

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

Dareus was a beast when he wanted to be.  Shame what happened to him. He could still be in the league if he wanted to be.

and Richardson was the type of qb prospect I hated in the first round. But after Allen, if he goes to the right team and situation, who knows now? 

and I hate Wil Levis. I think he sucks and he’s older too. Don’t get the hype. 

9 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

I agree 100% on Richardson. Some team will overdraft him and be incredibly disappointed.

But isn’t that what people were saying about Allen? Shoot, I said that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Didn't people say the same about Lamar? Great RB, not so great as a QB? I would think if he is put in the right situation (ie. Ravenst type O), he may be better than expected. From the little I've seen of him, he hast the arm talent and physical skills.🤔

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dareus was a beast when he wanted to be.  Shame what happened to him. He could still be in the league if he wanted to be.

and Richardson was the type of qb prospect I hated in the first round. But after Allen, if he goes to the right team and situation, who knows now? 

and I hate Wil Levis. I think he sucks and he’s older too. Don’t get the hype. 

But isn’t that what people were saying about Allen? Shoot, I said that. 

It seems to me that Allen was quite a bit different. He elevated a bad, low talent team into a winning one while Richardson is a .500 qb for a program that regularly pumps out NFL players. 

In the four years prior to Allen becoming the starter, they went 4-8, 5-7, 4-8, and 2-10 (the year immediately prior to him starting). With him as starter, they went 8-6 and 8-5. The talent on Wyoming is leagues worse than Florida's. Florida went 6-7 in both years that Richardson started. In the three years prior to Richardson starting, Florida went 10-3, 11-2, and 8-4. 

49 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Didn't people say the same about Lamar? Great RB, not so great as a QB? I would think if he is put in the right situation (ie. Ravenst type O), he may be better than expected. From the little I've seen of him, he hast the arm talent and physical skills.🤔

Lamar's team won when he was there. And largely because of him. Florida under Richardson? Not so much. They actually became much worse after he took over.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Hopefully KC drafts all of them. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

9. Zay Flowers - he is too small. Too weak. Lacks length. He might be a serviceable slot and gimmick player somewhere for a few years. That's it.

Given New England's* track record of drafting WRs, this makes perfect sense:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It seems to me that Allen was quite a bit different. He elevated a bad, low talent team into a winning one while Richardson is a .500 qb for a program that regularly pumps out NFL players. 

In the four years prior to Allen becoming the starter, they went 4-8, 5-7, 4-8, and 2-10 (the year immediately prior to him starting). With him as starter, they went 8-6 and 8-5. The talent on Wyoming is leagues worse than Florida's. Florida went 6-7 in both years that Richardson started. In the three years prior to Richardson starting, Florida went 10-3, 11-2, and 8-4. 

Lamar's team won when he was there. And largely because of him. Florida under Richardson? Not so much. They actually became much worse after he took over.

Fair points and I’m not pounding the table for Richardson but you know there are other factors. There was a coaching change. Thus, they lose recruits. Also, a lot harder to learn on the job in SEC than the MWC. Richardson is pretty young and raw. After Toney and Pitts left, these Florida teams haven’t had a ton of offensive talent. Florida has definitely been “rebuilding.”

I would normally hate thd Richardson prospect but after Allen and Hirts, if you get them in the right situation with the right coach, this could work. Like if Miami took him and let the season play out with Tua, they could be an interesting fit. But he could also be terrible as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.