Seahawks rescind RFA 1st-refusal tender of $2.63M on S Ryan Neal - any interest?

Beck Water

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36019987/seahawks-rescind-offer-restricted-free-agent-s-ryan-neal

6'2" or 6'3", ran a 4.47 40. 

Signed with Eagles then Falcons as UDFA, spent a year primarily as a PS member with the Seahawks

Started 10 games for the Seahawks last season

Other than the fact that this guy's contracts have been for the Birds, would he be worth a look as a player we could develop?

He's 27

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

9 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

How many safeties do you  need? Bills have Poyer, Hyde Rapp, Hamlin ,Anderson, Mayden.  Talk of Lewis and Lewis maybe playing some safety.

If you can get this guy under 2 mil, it's a steal

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

How many safeties do you  need? Bills have Poyer, Hyde Rapp, Hamlin ,Anderson, Mayden.  Talk of Lewis and Lewis maybe playing some safety.

Poyer and Hyde are 32 years old.  Poyer was gimping around with multiple injuries at the end of last season; Hyde feels great now, but he's recovering from neck surgery and until he's on the field giving and taking hits there will be a question in my mind, "can he still play?"

Rapp is a legit NFL starting-capable backup, no question there.  Good add.

Hamlin played better, I thought, as his playing time increased.  If he comes back at the same level, we're likely set save for a late round pick.  But I felt he was a marginal starter before the whole cardiac episode.  If he does come back will it be at the same level?  Don't know.

So do we need another guy?  If Hamlin comes back and is playing at the same level probably not.  If he comes back and is not playing at the same level, or doesn't come back, probably so.

Mayden is a PS guy from the Eagles going into his 4th season without ever having started a game

Zane Anderson is a special teamer who might be able to lay safety, we don't know.

Neither of them are guys I want to see starting at safety.

Lewis played some safety last season.  I don't wanna see that again.  YMMV.

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Poyer and Hyde are 32 years old.  Poyer was gimping around with multiple injuries at the end of last season; Hyde feels great now, but he's recovering from neck surgery and until he's on the field giving and taking hits there will be a question in my mind, "can he still play?"

Rapp is a legit NFL starting-capable backup, no question there.  Good add.

Hamlin played better, I thought, as his playing time increased.  If he comes back at the same level, we're likely set save for a late round pick.  But I felt he was a marginal starter before the whole cardiac episode.  If he does come back will it be at the same level?  Don't know.

So do we need another guy?  If Hamlin comes back and is playing at the same level probably not.  If he comes back and is not playing at the same level, or doesn't come back, probably so.

Mayden is a PS guy from the Eagles going into his 4th season without ever having started a game

Zane Anderson is a special teamer who might be able to lay safety, we don't know.

Neither of them are guys I want to see starting at safety.

Lewis played some safety last season.  I don't wanna see that again.  YMMV.

Christian Benford is also a potential option.

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If there were not a lot of other concerns on the roster and you didn’t have 3 guys who could all start, then sure.  I’d love to have somebody better as a back-up at #4, but let’s be real, that’s not the priority.

Hyde has an Eric Wood type injury. 

Hamlin may never play again.

Well, we will see 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.