Jordan Phillips back with Bills 1 year deal

4 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

yes, he is a huge three gap penetrator. very good for pressure. not good if you're playing him at NT and expecting him to run defend. that's not his skill set. 

I agree that he is what he is.........but at 350# approx his lack of versatility is a matter of want-to not "skill set".     This is a guy the Bills should never have to pay above minimum for because they are his only market.    He talked his way out of Miami and Arizona couldn't get rid of him fast enough after they realized what they'd gotten into. 

34 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Either Beane is not the wizard people think he is or McD is telling him to just get it done. 

3rd week of UFA handing out 3M contracts to DTs is not a good look.  And even though it's a moderate deal, it should be remembered when there's little to no cap room to make a trade at the deadline.  

Yeah I assumed Phillips would be brought to camp as the 5th DT or that he would be on a practice squad somewhere next season.   The Ravens cut the productive and inspiring Calais Campbell because they felt like he was about to decline..........the Bills brought back Phillips with apparently some guarantees even though he washed out 3 years ago.  Clearly different standards.   The Ravens know that they are good at filling their interior DL roles.........the Bills don't trust their scouting, clearly.    Phillips is(or was) a very talented player but I would not be surprised to see him beat out in camp by a healthier scrub and Beane having to eat some guarantees to cast him adrift.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d be highly surprised if the guarantees are more than vet minimum.  And since he barely played last year, the $3m number is most likely heavy on NLTBE bonuses which don’t count against the current years cap.  

You would think that for sure.   It's obvious that he is no more than a league min type player at this stage........especially at a time in the offseason when young and productive players like Taylor Rapp and Damien Harris are apparently signing 1 year deals for south of $2M.   But I thought Phillips was only going to get league min from Beane last offseason and Beane gave him guarantees(including $1.25M still on the books for 2023 in unamortized bonus from that deal).   

21 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Beane won't ' go all offense in draft.  Most of the DTs are on expiring contracts. Secondary depth was challenged last year  and you can't have too many corners in the AFC. I would also like an OLB/Edge to back up Von.

I would imagine we are set in the secondary:

White, Elam, Dane, Benford, Taron Johnson, Hyde, Poyer and Rapp. They resigned Cam and Damar is still under contract.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You would think that for sure.   It's obvious that he is no more than a league min type player at this stage........especially at a time in the offseason when young and productive players like Taylor Rapp and Damien Harris are apparently signing 1 year deals for south of $2M.   But I thought Phillips was only going to get league min from Beane last offseason and Beane gave him guarantees(including $1.25M still on the books for 2023 in unamortized bonus from that deal).   

We are seriously talking about like $1 million right are we really going to quibble over $1 million

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

I would imagine we are set in the secondary:

White, Elam, Dane, Benford, Taron Johnson, Hyde, Poyer and Rapp. They resigned Cam and Damar is still under contract.

While there is uncertainty as to whether Damar will play (and perhaps as to whether White will resume his old form) I would think they would try to bring in a couple more players. 

I'm thinking 5-7th round. 

It's not a tough prediction since the Bills have drafted 1 or more DB 5th-7th rounds every year Beane has been GM.  Most have them have stuck on the team.  DBs drafted in these rounds include

(2018) 5th - Siran Neal (plus Taron Johnson in the 4th)

(2019) 6th - Jaquan Johnson

(2020) 7th- Dane Jackson

(2021) 6th - Damar Hamlin, Rachad Wildgoose

(2022) 6th - Christian Benford

Rachad Wildgoose is the only one who didn't stick on the Bills, and he's started games for the Jets (2021) and for the Commanders (2022) and is still on their roster.

Jaquan Johnson is the worst of them, and he's played 60 games for us in the last 4 years, with a starting role on ST.

But, I think people who thought we might draft a safety early may  be able to stand down.

I love a big disruptive DT!

This year hopefully Phillips doesn't injure himself diving at a QB when the game is already over anyway. Big man hustles and that's how he got hurt twice this season. Blew a tire running along with a turnover and then dove at (I think) Mac Jones and busted his shoulder after chasing him for like 140 yards yards back and forth around the field. 

NOW we need to draft a DT of at least the same size to be the 1T and line those guys up in the middle!

On 3/30/2023 at 12:57 PM, John from Riverside said:

We are seriously talking about like $1 million right are we really going to quibble over $1 million

The poor folk love to quibble over such insignificant amounts of other people’s money, when the hell else are they gonna have the opportunity.

36 minutes ago, julian said:

The poor folk love to quibble over such insignificant amounts of other people’s money, when the hell else are they gonna have the opportunity.

I don't care about anyone's money.....let alone some broke-ass who can't accurately calculate the difference between 3 and 1.  😂

I care about cap space.    

Veteran minimum for the 31 year old Phillips would be $1.165M.    Phillips contract is reportedly $3M-$4.6M.  

That's $1.835M to $3.435M more.  

That is in addition to being paid about $4M last year when he should have been receiving league minimum.

Hell he already accounted for $1.25M in dead cap space on the Bills 2023 cap from his voided contract dummy year.

Paying $4M-$7M above minimum over two years is not an inconsequential amount of cap space given the Bills limitations.  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't care about anyone's money.....let alone some broke-ass who can't accurately calculate the difference between 3 and 1.  😂

I care about cap space.    

Veteran minimum for the 31 year old Phillips would be $1.165M.    Phillips contract is reportedly $3M-$4.6M.  

That is in addition to being paid about $4M last year when he should have been receiving league minimum.

Hell he already accounted for $1.25M in dead cap space on the Bills 2023 cap from his voided contract dummy year.

Paying $4M-$7M above minimum over two years is not an inconsequential amount of cap space given the Bills limitations.  

Agree. I could kinda see it last year as a "maybe Buffalo will rekindle some of the magic." It did. He played lights out week 1 at the Rams. And that was that. He was a total non-factor thereon in. 

And it isn't just the Phillips factor for me. It is that yet again they feel like they HAVE to have 4 investments at DT. It is the one position that they have just kept pouring money into. Justin Zimmer apart they have almost not evem tried to find someone who can give them reasonable DT4 production at bottom of the roster money. Almost everywhere else on the roster at one point or another we have needed a day 3 drsft pick or a UDFA to play and hold down a spot at least for a stretch. But DT they just keep throwing $$s at. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:40 AM, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Hopefully we will someday have a regime that consistently wins the division, gets double digit wins, makes the playoffs every year, and assembles rosters that place them as superbowl favorites...

*Of course the ultimate goal is to win the superbowl and until that happens, there is room for improvement on the roster.  But the level of criticism and disdain this regime gets from some posters is pathetic.  

Corrected.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:57 PM, John from Riverside said:

I am sure he quibbles when case of Genesee Creams goes up 10 cents.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I care about cap space.    

I wasn’t being serious lol.. I need to be more obvious 

• Like (+1) 1

Ten days after he made an official visit to the Buffalo Bills’ facility, defensive tackle Jordan Phillips signed a one-year contract to remain with the team Thursday.

Phillips’ re-signing gives the Bills eight defensive tackles under contract entering this month’s draft. Top four are projected to be Ed Oliver, DaQuan Jones, Tim Settle and Phillips.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/defensive-tackle-jordan-phillips-back-with-bills-on-one-year-contract/article_0ae53bdc-d4bb-11ed-832e-cfa442dc0a45.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

Ten days after he made an official visit to the Buffalo Bills’ facility, defensive tackle Jordan Phillips signed a one-year contract to remain with the team Thursday.

Phillips’ re-signing gives the Bills eight defensive tackles under contract entering this month’s draft. Top four are projected to be Ed Oliver, DaQuan Jones, Tim Settle and Phillips.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/defensive-tackle-jordan-phillips-back-with-bills-on-one-year-contract/article_0ae53bdc-d4bb-11ed-832e-cfa442dc0a45.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

It's interesting to me that every single one of them are Free Agents after this season. You usually don't go into a season where your entire depth chart at a position are under 1 year deals.

I have to assume one or two of Oliver, Jones, and Settle will be extended before the start of the season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Spotrac reporting Jordan Phillips signed a 1 year, $3,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jordan-phillips-16776/

prior to that, both spotrac & NFLPA says bills have about $8.3 mil in avail cap space.

so that should bring us down to about $6.3 mil   (phillips $3 mil  in and someones $1 mil out)

4 hours ago, papazoid said:

Spotrac reporting Jordan Phillips signed a 1 year, $3,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jordan-phillips-16776/

prior to that, both spotrac & NFLPA says bills have about $8.3 mil in avail cap space.

so that should bring us down to about $6.3 mil   (phillips $3 mil  in and someones $1 mil out)

@GunnerBill

$3 million for Phllips.

Does this pitch a tent in your knickers?  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.