McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

They were 5th in 2017.

Yes, in Smith's best year in a 14-year career.  He finished 8th in passing yards, 9th in passing TDs, and 1st in past rating that season.  

Great year for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, in Smith's best year in a 14-year career.  He finished 8th in passing yards, 9th in passing TDs, and 1st in past rating that season.  

Great year for him.  

He finally had some horses in Kelce, Hill and Hunt.

53 minutes ago, Doc said:

True  but Smith Kelce was really their only weapon until Hill arrived.

Well, they did have Charles and Maclin, who overlapped somewhat, as well as Hill in '16 and '17.  

• Vomit 1

43 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, they did have Charles and Maclin, who overlapped somewhat, as well as Hill in '16 and '17. 

Maclin missed 1/4 of the season in 2016, contributing only 536 yards and 2 TDs, played even worse in 2017 and was out of football soon thereafter.  Charles' career was essentially over after 2014 as he couldn't stay healthy.

Edited by Doc

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Maclin missed 1/4 of the season in 2016, contributing only 536 yards and 2 TDs, played even worse in 2017 and was out of football soon thereafter.  Charles' career was essentially over after 2014 as he couldn't stay healthy.

Roger!  I think that we can agree that Reid's offensive play-calling was only good once he had top-tier talent however.  ??  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Roger!  I think that we can agree that Reid's offensive play-calling was only good once he had top-tier talent however.  ?? 

Coaches still ultimately need the players.  Look at Belicheat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Coaches still ultimately need the players.  Look at Belicheat.

Excellent example, but in his case I would say that it more Brady than BB.  I give Reid more credit than I give BB.  

On 3/29/2023 at 8:58 PM, Yantha said:

Had a thought and I'm not sure if it's been talked about yet.

Wondering if McDermot will overcompensate with defensive draft picks in order to have a good showing as defensive playcaller....

Any history of his style out there and if he will want to bring in specific skillsets?

Like, DIME, 3-4, etc?

Not sure his ego is an issue

Winning yes

so perhaps No to the overcompensate ?

9 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Andy calls the offense…,  just sayin, 😁

But he accepts the Defense as it lives and breathes

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Looking forward to seeing McD call the defense. I wonder how McD will compensate for the loss of Edumonds and possibly missing Von for part of the season? It will be interesting to see what goes on with the play calling. 

for sure !

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Looking forward to seeing McD call the defense. I wonder how McD will compensate for the loss of Edumonds and possibly missing Von for part of the season? It will be interesting to see what goes on with the play calling. 

Hot take: I think Milano will blitz more (which still only means occasionally).  He has best combination of speed, instincts, and slipperyness to get through a gap.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

We're here to discuss. I can ask questions and pose things so folks can chime in. Dont get offended by my questioning, or take it as some personal slight to you or McD.

I am absolutely counting on McD coming out with a far more aggressive Defense. Otherwise, why bother?

But McD has never come across as a "LETS SMASH THEIR F%&$ING HEADS IN" guy. The team has been living his culture the last 5 years. And for that time, we've been soft on both sides of the ball. We've gotten bullied far more than we've done the bullying. But we win with talent and finesse.

I got similarly mocked right before the Cincy game because I said I was worried and didnt think we'd have the toughness

And then the game happened.

(no offense LeGOATski, tried to take your name off the post. just for illustrative purposes)

This is a Championship Coach's pregame speech, can you ever see McD pulling this?

Very well said...what I don't understand is why did Sean hire Leslie and "allow him" to run a softer less aggressive version of what Sean ran in Carolina?  Our "JA era" playoff defensive collapses in Houston,  KC and v. Cinncy all demonstrated more of Frazier's soft zone philosophy than Sean's more aggressive version.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.