WR Trent Sherfield signed

Chandler#81

59 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree with this in the sense that Harty upgrades McKenzie and Sherfield upgrades Kumerow. But I don't like that Davis is still locked in as the #2 WR. Short of a rookie receiver blowing away expectations, the best avenue for upgrading that spot is acquiring Jeudy, Hopkins, or OBJ. If we pull that off I'll feel great about our WR room, better than ever in the Josh Allen era. If we don't, I'll still feel underwhelmed by the weapons we've put around him.

It's funny.  I have no concerns about Davis.  I think he's almost a model #2.  I think it's all about Dorsey.   

I've never been impressed with Jeudy, as I've said elsewhere I don't think it makes sense to add a personality like Hopkins to the receiver room, and I feel the same about Beckham, plus his injury concern.  I'd much rather spend resources elsewhere, namely the offensive line and middle linebacker.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I hope so…I’m doubtful considering their defensive HC and defensive needs.… and overall sentiment towards the position. 

I think OBJ is the better possibility. I suspect they want to use 27 or trade back a bit from there if they can and grab a LB.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can always be mistaken, but I think fans need to let go of their OBJ dreams.  Beane isn't gonna pay him what he wants

And frankly, I think there are only so many recovering ACLs a team should be betting on

I hope you're right about the rookie in round 1-3.  Round 1 or 2 preferred, for me.

We don’t even know what he wants- only that he wants more than 4M.  It looks as if Beane won’t pay him what he wants present time. 

That said, I don’t think it’s on Beane as much as it’s on the rest of the league. If no one will pay him what he thinks he’s worth, which looks to be the case (so far), his price will come down and possibly into a range where we can afford him.   If that happens, maybe Beane will pay him what he wants. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Who is our 1B WR? Why can Philly and Cinci have nice things, but we have to deal with dumpster diving? 
I honestly feel really bad for Allen and Diggs. 

Didn’t realize Cincy and Philly won the SB.  Because if memory serves me it was KC who won and didn’t have a 1A let alone a 1B at WR.  

But to answer your question…Cincy has a 1B WR because their QB, WR1, and WR2 are ALL on rookie contracts.  Philly has a 1B WR because their QB and WR 1B are on rookie contracts.  

Bottom line is you don’t need to have a 1B at WR, and most teams don’t unless they have a rookie contract at QB and hit on at least one of the WRs at 1A or 1B through the draft.

It still amazes me how anyone can still not understand this.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, NewEra said:

We don’t even know what he wants- only that he wants more than 4M.  It looks as if Beane won’t pay him what he wants present time. 

That said, I don’t think it’s on Beane as much as it’s on the rest of the league. If no one will pay him what he thinks he’s worth, which looks to be the case (so far), his price will come down and possibly into a range where we can afford him.   If that happens, maybe Beane will pay him what he wants. 

2 years 12 mil with incentives up to 18 mil seems fair for both sides

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Depends. If the contract is for less than $1.75 million it won't count against us. That's what I'd expect.

I’m beginning to think it’s not going to matter…which one of our leftovers is going to sign a contract above $1.75m elsewhere? 

Gunna be one short..

31 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

im pleased with the two WR signings. Both are probably significant upgrades and I give Beane credit for these moves. But this receiving corps absolutely still needs a WR 2 and I think that means finding one in the draft. I too fear that they may be going in a different direction. Hope not. Given his size and speed I wonder if this guy can play on the outside. Seems to be a big slot with YAC ability.

Between signing guys like Beasley and Brown for the late season push and then Harty and Sherfield in the offseason, it’s clear the team was not happy with the production of guys like McKenzie.  Agree they need to find additional WR talent in the draft too.

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Seriously? Come on......

T. Hill and Dolphin fans are very upset about this

The guy caught 30 balls playing along side two of the biggest weapons in the league. Big ***** deal! He’s more unproven than Davis going into last year.  This is what Beane does with the O, cheap out looking for guys who have not proven ***** but showed a little potential. Happens with the oline every year and the same can be said about the other tiny WR we just signed last week

Edited by BananaB
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

If Harty and Sherfield represent an effort to improve the bottom of the WR depth chart and the depth at that position, then they're high quality signings.

If, on the other hand, their signing allows Beane to feel that WR has been adequately addressed and causes him to ignore the position in the draft, then I'm not too happy.

As depth, special teams, and a means of diversifying the skillsets at WR, they're great. As "the answer" to improving the position group overall...not so much.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.