Beane still looking to add big bodied RB to roster

Inigo Montoya

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think I’m pretty close to being all in on Henry if Beane pulls the trigger.  

1) 3rd and short can be Henry wildcat/handoff, instead of Allen sweeps/sneaks/draws

2) Playaction would be a monster 

3) Strange fit with our athletic, pass blocking OL philosophy, but Henry would be running into light boxes for the first time in his career 

4) Might be appealing to Henry to play for a legit contender and extend his career by not being ran into the ground all season

Seriously?! You crapped all over the thought of going after Dalvin Cook, because you said we are not a running team, so signing a high end RB was “overkill”. And now you are advocating to spend even more for Derek Henry? Way to stay inconsistent.   

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

Seriously?! You crapped all over the thought of going after Dalvin Cook, because you said we are not a running team, so signing a high end RB was “overkill”. And now you are advocating to spend even more for Derek Henry? Way to stay inconsistent.   

Yes. 

Two very different backs. 

I dont want Miles Sanders, Dalvin Cook, insert random big money back … but I’d make an exception for Derrick Henry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think it comes out to like around $10M because the signing bonus doesn't transfer over.  And that's before the Bills/Beane do their tricks of 2 year deal w signing bonus stuff.

D Henry isn't an ordinary RB.  He is the physical peak RB performer, top 3 in the league, defensive coordinator nightmare.

D Henry elevates the offense.  He is a playmaker that needs to be game planned for.  

👍Buffalo really, really needs a power run game to help take pressure off, QB Josh Allen. Buffalo with that RB would make every NFL DC cringe big time. With Henry, scariest offense in the NFL for sure! Just build that O-line more too.

The Dolphins signed Jalen Ramsey for a reason. The Jet's beefy D line with Sauce, Jet's #4 overall defense.

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If the interest is real, it is an ass backwards way of thinking with Josh Allen as your QB… Instead of loading up at WR and make the passing game more explosive, you load up at RB? 

It's not *ss backwards if the plan is to add a high quality difference making playmaker. 

Yes, hopefully the first choice is a D Hopkins/J Jeudy/M Evans.  But if the price isn't right a pivot to D Henry works for me.

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

👍Buffalo really, really needs a power run game to help take pressure off, QB Josh Allen. Buffalo with that RB would make every NFL DC cringe big time. With Henry, scariest offense in the NFL for sure! Just build that O-line more too.

The Dolphins signed Jalen Ramsey for a reason. The Jet's beefy D line with Sauce, Jet's #4 overall defense.

Wouldn't it be great watching Sauce/Ramsey trying to tackle King Henry? For the "not enough usage" people, if Henry averages 15/100 is that not what we've been looking for? 

I mean honestly - this is what Singletary actually does best is get you 1-2 yards and moves the pile. 

What Beane needs is an elite RB (they exist) because he builds below average run blocking olines.  

This is the mistake this organization is making in underrating RB, run blocking, and playing in Buffalo.  Also, I’ve said it already but you better be ready to expect to NOT throw 30-35 plus times against the Jets and probably Miami to.   

ELITE RBs MATTER

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Lost said:

Beane didn't seem like he was really targeting a big name playmaker RB judging by his presser.   Sounded more like he was talking more about adding depth when replying to question about adding a bigger size RB.  

he didn’t sound like he was going to go after a Von Miller either. He’s not one to come out and say they are looking at a big name unless directly questioned on a player (obj previously)

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Listening to Beane's pressor, 2 things seemed likely

1. the were never going to re-sign Edmunds.  When they didn't last year (for likely much less than 18 per), that was basically it.  He said the 18 million average was too much this year... 

2. McKenzie is gone.

So listening to what Beane said, I would tend to agree with 2.   So long, Isaiah.

-Foreshadowing - "we may still see some roster cut downs"

-Mentioning Harty's role - sees him as a #4 on the field with Diggs, Davis, Shakir.  Says he's really good at tracking the ball and he's a true vertical threat who can also run option routes from the slot.  In the past has said of McKenzie "he needs to track the ball better".

-Response to a direct question "good question" (as per usual, we couldn't hear the Q other than McKenzie's name) - "still sorting that out - love Isaiah, he's been great for us, we're talking internally to make sure we don't have too much duplication, I think we'll know in the next couple of days"

That ain't exactly "we'd love to keep him, we still think he has a role here and a lot to contribute".  That's  "thanks for your service, Buddy, Good-bye"

Common sense, the Bills just brought in a new WR coach who had nothing to do with developing McKenzie (or not), no personal relationship to him and the Bills just spent their 2nd biggest FA investment on a smurf WR who has a ton of per-catch incentives they got to give him a fair chance to earn.  Now personally, I think they just brought in a smurf with a risky injury history (Oh - and he was suspended 3 games for DUI in 2021, after 3 years in the NFL to get "smarter"), so it would make sense to keep some competition for him going into camp and also, a guy who has proven himself pretty durable. 

But that doesn't sound like what Beane has in mind.

McKenzie is owed a $250,000 roster bonus on the 3rd day of the new league year (in other words, tomorrow).  So you would think, if they're gonna cut him, they'd cut him tomorrow to maximize the savings.

It'll be interesting to see if the Jaguars pick him up since Chad Hall, who does have an investment in McKenzie's development, is now their WR coach.  Doug Pederson is just the offensively creative SOB to figure out how to use him (and scary enough to keep McKenzie focused).

Now what I don't like about what I heard, and granted Beane has no obligation to tip his hand, is that it sounds as though they're Done in FA at WR and Done at OL.  😒

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I hate when rumors like this get started. It just leads to a letdown and anger at the FO when it doesn’t happen when we don’t actually know if this was even an option at all.

Our own player is triggering it ha

Hes probably trolling, but when our GM talks about RB’s at his press conference and our DT hits send on a tweet at Henry calling him “King of the North” …. The people are going to run with it.  By people, I definitely include myself. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Our own player is triggering it ha

Hes probably trolling, but when our GM talks about RB’s at his press conference and our DT hits send on a tweet at Henry calling him “King of the North” …. The people are going to run with it.  By people, I definitely include myself. 

especially because Von Miller worked out with him a few weeks ago and did the Buffalo emoji with eyes. I know I know….but he did get OBJ to visit us. 

it’s possible that Henry has told those players casually that he’d like to come here if traded

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I think I’m pretty close to being all in on Henry if Beane pulls the trigger.  

1) 3rd and short can be Henry wildcat/handoff, instead of Allen sweeps/sneaks/draws

2) Playaction would be a monster 

3) Strange fit with our athletic, pass blocking OL philosophy, but Henry would be running into light boxes for the first time in his career 

4) Might be appealing to Henry to play for a legit contender and extend his career by not being ran into the ground all season

In theory I love the idea of Henry in this offense but I don't think we can afford him. Too many other needs and too much money invested in Hines to put more than $5 million into another RB.

43 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I think people under-estimate how important run blocking is, even to a power back like Henry.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love a power run game, but it requires commitment - building an OL that can sustain it, practicing etc.

Henry would be a 1 year rental at this point and as a trade - who or what do you want to give up for him?

"With one year remaining on his deal and several veteran Titans recently becoming cap casualties, it wouldn't be a shock to see Henry in a different uniform next season. While he's entering his eighth season, Henry remains one of the NFL's top running backs, having rushed for 1,538 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2022."

"Buffalo was one of the worst run-blocking teams in the league; its 50.7 Pro Football Focus grade was 28th among NFL teams last season. Luckily, with his 6-foot-3, 247-pound frame, Henry is one of the few running backs that can succeed without a solid offensive line." 

Three potential landing spots for Titans running back Derrick Henry (msn.com)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.