Austin Ekeler asks for a trade. UPDATE: Granted permission

Alphadawg7

On 3/13/2023 at 12:31 PM, Rc2catch said:

Not sure how to value him on a contract.. Just my opinion of course but he’s not a good running back. 
He’s a check down machine but there’s been plenty of guys who just catch check downs all day. When the chargers need a yard they pull him out for Sony Michel or Spiller or another back. 

Not a good running back? What? Dude had 1600 all purpose yards and 18 TDs. Screw the stats though. Anybody who watched any Chargers games knows Ekeler would be an absolute asset to any team he joins. If catching passes out of the backfield is so easy then why have the Bills spent so many resources looking for a guy that can do exactly that ? Unfortunately, it’s just too much of a luxury at this point, but idk who wouldn’t be ecstatic to have him on their team. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s official, Chargers granted permission for him to seek a trade.  That means there is a RB trade market that potentially includes Austin Ekeler, Dalvin Cook, Nick Chubb, and Derrick Henry.  That’s like the first half of a fantasy football draft lol.

Moral of the story, don’t pay big contracts to RBs, it rarely works out.  And by the time you figure that out, you’re gonna have to trade them for less than they are worth to get away from the big cap number.  

Some good options already in FA that won’t require draft capital.  Be interesting to see which domino falls first in bath trade and free agency.

Ekeler isn't a large cap hit issue - he just wants an extension.  He has like nothing guaranteed and his total comp for the year is only 6M.  I just cant imagine him playing under that number.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

I bet he could be had for a 2nd.  

A back that wouldn't have to leave the field unless he's being spelled for rest.  If Dorsey doesn't suck, this is exactly the type of back the Bills need.  

I can’t imagine that the Chargers will get anything close to a second for Eckler. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

would anyone do Cook for Ekeler straight up? 

Keep them both.  

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I can’t imagine that the Chargers will get anything close to a second for Eckler. 

In the Bills case it'd be a late 2nd, but you may be right.  That would be even better.

9 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Ekeler isn't a large cap hit issue - he just wants an extension.  He has like nothing guaranteed and his total comp for the year is only 6M.  I just cant imagine him playing under that number.  

Yeah he has a good deal today, it’s just that he wants a bigger deal making him available despite being such a valuable piece to the Chargers.  

If we got him, or any of them on a reasonable deal great.  But just seems to backfire when teams pay RBs $10M+ a year.  

1 minute ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Ekeler would be a set it and forget it guy in ALL situations. I don’t see him as an I got paid, I’m not playing a 100% either. He’s at the top of the NFL player’s food chain. 

It won’t be him since he’s a fumbler. McD don’t play that.

21 hours ago, nucci said:

what does that mean? He has culture?

means he seamlessly fit in on old team and matched the vibe and personality on that old team. Also means he matches vibe and personality of next team if he matches the culture wanted on new team he is going to. Usually is meant in a positive light and means he is a good person who does not put himself over team. and does not get in trouble in locker room, on field, or off field. In Bills case he needs to be down with the process and in McD case he also likes religious guys. 

Now saying he is a culture fit with Bills is completely different then saying he is a culture fit with for example 1980's Raiders, the Cowboys of any era, etc etc as they were down and dirty/nasty/criminal/drug users on and off field.

Another term appointed for these guys when coming to teams who favor religious guys is choir boys. But that is taking the characteristic description to the extreme.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

What a waste of assets this would be. 

Yeah, I love the player but unless it’s like a 4th or lower, I won’t be thrilled with it. It’s also hilarious that you would give up yet another asset for a rb (2nd, 2 3rds, the Hines trade) for a guy who wasn’t drafted.

it’s should not be this hard to find a rb especially with a guy like Allen. The funniest thing is the bills sucked for so long but always could find a rb. Now they are good and can’t find one! Bring back OJ!

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I just don’t ***** get it… Just a ***** ton of rumors about them interested in whichever RB is available… meanwhile their WRs suck ass outside of Diggs. 

no reason to get upset unless they acquire a RB. It's just twitter people

Edited by nucci

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I just don’t ***** get it… Just a ***** ton of rumors about them interested in whichever RB is available… meanwhile their WRs suck ass outside of Diggs. 

That is just it...there have been VERY FEW real rumors for the most part.  People keep reading tweets by nobody's saying he would be a good fit, or I bet the Bills would be or should be calling...and then coming onto the boards and falsely associating that as "rumors" the Bills are interested.  

I would say at best, like 1 out of every 10-15 rumors I have seen yesterday and today regarding the Bills interest in a player at any position have actually been from a credible source reporting Bills interest on a player.  The rest are coming from fake posts, or falsely thinking some randos comment on twitter is somehow a rumor linking the Bills to said player.  

Its mind blowing how many people here keep regurgitating nonsense as rumor.  A few were legitimately fooled by fake accounts posting fake info, but most see any dumb tweet as a rumor.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

Are we really saying Ekeler doesn’t fit? You make him fit. It’s what coaches are supposed to do — make your best players the best they can be. That’s like saying we don’t know how Allen fits. 

With #30, Allen can go deep all he wants, Ekeler would own everything from the line of scrimmage to the sticks. Look how great he’s been with the Chargers. He should be even better if on the Bills. The offense would be sooo good with Ekeler. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.