Bills free agency tracker - NFL free agency began 3/15 - post all NFL updates here

chongli

34 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Soo they’re not good at drafting because they’ve drafted to fit scheme and the scheme helps players succeed which results in winning games? I don’t follow. 

More often than not those two realities are mutually exclusive. If you don’t draft well… it’s hard to win. So what’s going to give? 

That’s correct. They are not good at drafting. They’ve just recently spent three top round picks on the D Line and still don’t have much of a pass rush to speak of. What draft picks are you watching? Now, this isn’t to say that those young guys can’t eventually become top players but they definitely aren’t there yet. And yes, the scheme papers over those deficiencies. You can maintain its egg and chicken. I’m sticking with chicken and egg. 😉

Edited by SoCal Deek

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Recency bias, he was hurt all year, but you could do a lot worse with a piece of clay like Jack. He wouldn't be my favorite choice, but outside of Wagner, Tranquill, he's probably next in the pipeline for me. Maybe he follows Flores to Minnesota. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's only been rough if you were expecting some kind of crazy spending spree happening and big names coming in when we were going into it 18.7 over the cap and had 24 players to re-sign or replace.

Rodgers to Jets

MIA making a number of upgrades

KC and CIN both making significant moves

Meanwhile we spend money that could have been used elsewhere on Hines, Harty, Mata, Martin, Lewis, Dotson

• Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Rodgers to Jets

Meanwhile we spend money that could have been used elsewhere on Hines, Harty, Mata, Martin, Lewis, Dotson

Miami, KC and Cincy have all lost players, too.

I'm not sure why anyone expected us to be "big players" in FA this year.  Our cap is in a different situation than most teams, largely because we made the biggest splash last year.

Adding a starting guard and speedy receiver, and retaining role players who know our system?  I'd say we're doing okay.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Rodgers to Jets

And still the team to beat in the AFCE

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Now wait a minute… if this was Beane people would be upset. 

“He botched fixing the OL last year so he had to let our S tandem walk to try and fix it again.” 

Oddly sounds like 

“He botched the DL situation with Rousseau/Epenesa/Basham and had to go give Von Miller a big contract.” 

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. 

To me, the difference is one is trying to create pass rush and the other is trying to protect the future HOF player that currently determines the fortunes of the team. 

There’s always a market for “extra” linemen. Not much of a market for underperforming DL. Makes the “misses” less painful. 

IMO the frustration is the failed investment on the wrong side of the ball. Not that he failed as no one is perfect. 

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s correct. They are not good at drafting. They’ve just recently spent three top round picks on the D Line and still don’t have much of a pass rush to speak of. What draft picks are you watching? Now, this isn’t to say that those young guys can’t eventually become top players but they definitely aren’t there yet. And yes, the scheme papers over those deficiencies. You can maintain its egg and chicken. I’m sticking with chicken and egg. 😉

You’re right.  Most teams turn picks in the 24-28 range into instantaneous superstars.  I mean look at KC with HOFers like Clyde Edwards-Helaire.  I don’t know what Beane is thinking.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

You’re right.  Most teams turn picks in the 24-28 range into instantaneous superstars.  I mean look at KC with HOFers like Clyde Edwards-Helaire.  I don’t know what Beane is thinking.

And Cincinnati, the current king of the good drafting mountain, drafted Billy Price and Jonah Williams in the first round in back to back years. You think Cody Ford was a bust? Go check out Billy Price.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore turned those picks into great players all the time. I understand it's not the norm but that's what the good teams do. Cam Heyward, Pouncy, Reed, Lewis the list is long.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Stating the obvious - but OBJ is asking for WAY too much, considering all of the circumstances. 

I wonder if any team will pick him up at this point.

I bet any contract he gets will be heavily incentivized. That said I bet the max he can earn will be in that range. But he will have to do a lot to earn it. 

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

And Cincinnati, the current king of the good drafting mountain, drafted Billy Price and Jonah Williams in the first round in back to back years. You think Cody Ford was a bust? Go check out Billy Price.

Historically one of the worst drafting franchises of all time. Burrow will be the new Anthony Munoz. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.