Beane/McDermott Speak to the Media at Scouting Combine

Warcodered

What I got is Edmunds is gone, Oliver plays out his 5th year option (they wait until next year to decide) and the cap

is going to be a bit of a hassle for the next 2 years (I already knew 2024 is going to be hard too).

Benford to S.  Gabe's job to lose and Beane will draft a WR (we don't know which round).

Also, we all will have to see what Beane can get done in FA (not a real lot) to kind of see what will happen in the draft.

That's what I read between the lines.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What I got is Edmunds is gone, Oliver plays out his 5th year option (they wait until next year to decide) and the cap

is going to be a bit of a hassle for the next 2 years (I already knew 2024 is going to be hard too).

Benford to S.

Also, we all will have to see what Beane can get done in FA (not a real lot) to kind of see what will happen in the draft.

That's what I read between the lines.

I'm not sure I completely agree with your between-the-lines interpretation but neither Beane nor McD's is making anything particularly obvious.   Ask McD about any player and he'll tell you how well they're doing.  

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not sure I completely agree with your between-the-lines interpretation but neither Beane nor McD's is making anything particularly obvious.   Ask McD about any player and he'll tell you how well they're doing.  

I'm sticking with what my "take" on it and will just wait to see what unfolds.

What I didn't get a clue on is the OL.  I small comment was all I heard.  It's the real question I'll have to wait and see on.

Some of my interpretations…right or wrong JMOs

Edmunds and Poyer are definitely gone. They are clearly upset about losing Tremaine. 

Benford stays at corner, unless they can’t find someone better. McDermott got excited talking about Benford playing corner, and I just don’t think you move him unless you think he can’t play corner. He would have to be one of the best 11 for the move. 

They like Shakir. When talking about WRs, McDermott brought him up really unprovoked, and no one else. I think McKenzie gets cut. They want smart route running players over speed and RAC ability. Ideally they want all these things. So I am not sure who that is in the draft or UFA. 

Gabe Davis dealt with an injury and there is a maybe a little more there with Gabe. I do think they bring in competition. 

Tight end could be a possibility early in the draft. Bringing in a tight end would also potentially upgrade the offense and Beane mentioned the idea that playing two tight ends could keep teams in their base defense. 

Bernard is not in the running to replace Tremaine. 

They will look to upgrade left guard. The rest of the line is coming back as is. 

They will bring in a running back, but I do think Hynes will stay. 

They will continue to add to the defensive line. Protect your quarterback and disrupt the other teams’ QB. 

Josh is the man. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Gabe Davis dealt with an injury and there is a maybe a little more there with Gabe. I do think they bring in competition. 

Was the injury to his fingers or hands.  

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

The most difficult part of the draft for these two is selecting players that haven't played for the Panthers yet. 

Must be why they keep bringing the Carolina coaching staff over.  After all, they've all done such a marvelous job defensively in Carolina in recent years.  

The Ron Rivera coaching tree.  These guys see all the rotten fruit decaying at the bottom of it and decide that's the tree for them.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Was the injury to his fingers or hands.  

Beane said he had a high ankle sprain that took away from his route running because he had to take an extra false step on his release. Interesting point. He also said he’s would love to have some of those drops back. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The dude gets a high ankle sprain every year. They’d be really stupid to double down on Davis. He needs some legit competition… prefer a veteran like Michael Thomas or even OBJ along with a high draft pick. These guys will do one or the other though IMO.

Yeah I really do think that OBJ is coming.  I get the sense they feel, and I feel this too, that all those first round WR are going to be gone, and is a 3-4th round guy this year better than Gabe? Not sure. 

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Beane said he had a high ankle sprain that took away from his route running because he had to take an extra false step on his release. Interesting point. He also said he’s would love to have some of those drops back. 

Thanks.  Yeah, I was being facetious.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Some of my interpretations…right or wrong JMOs

Edmunds and Poyer are definitely gone. They are clearly upset about losing Tremaine. 

Benford stays at corner, unless they can’t find someone better. McDermott got excited talking about Benford playing corner, and I just don’t think you move him unless you think he can’t play corner. He would have to be one of the best 11 for the move. 

They like Shakir. When talking about WRs, McDermott brought him up really unprovoked, and no one else. I think McKenzie gets cut. They want smart route running players over speed and RAC ability. Ideally they want all these things. So I am not sure who that is in the draft or UFA. 

Tight end could be a possibility early in the draft. Bringing in a tight end would also potentially upgrade the offense and Beane mentioned the idea that playing two tight ends could keep teams in their base defense. 

Bernard is not in the running to replace Tremaine. 

They will look to upgrade left guard. The rest of the line is coming back as is. 

They will bring in a running back, but I do think Hynes will stay. 

They will continue to add to the defensive line. Protect your quarterback and disrupt the other teams’ QB. 

Josh is the man. 

They better do more than bring in a new left guard if they want to give Allen the oline he deserves. I think TE is one of those positions that might be in play at 27.

32 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nobody should be surprised by this revelation as the hitch in his step was noticeable all year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

Reading between the lines is my favorite because no matter what they say I can pretend they're saying whatever fits my mood!

Yeah, did anyone read between the lines that they would be signing Von Miller last year?

Fans just need to wait and see what happens. There's no use in guessing. Besides, everything changes constantly, so any targets they have right now will change as the off-season progresses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

They better do more than bring in a new left guard if they want to give Allen the oline he deserves. I think TE is one of those positions that might be in play at 27.

Yeah I mean Beane said “we have Dion, Mitch, Bates, Spencer back and need to fill LG since Saffold is a UFA. Also its possible we bring Saffold back.” 

I would not expect wholesale changes honestly

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.