Beane/McDermott Speak to the Media at Scouting Combine

Warcodered

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

There is no way Gabe is ripped given that Instagram picture of him with Bert  K.

Gabe in that photo has no muscle tone and a belly. 

It’s hard for me to reconcile Beane’s comments about Gabe working so hard and that physique.

I know Gabe has that reputation as a hard worker, we saw when he got drafted he was running routes 20 minutes after he got picked.

I just don’t understand how a #2 NFL WR with 90+ targets can function at peak with that body.

6D31FA3F-1B77-41F1-BB00-62EB8F6698D4.jpeg

There's a crying need-to-know here

https://www.insider.com/bodybuilder-showed-how-fitness-photos-can-be-misleading-2019-10#in-2016-murphy-posted-a-10-minute-transformation-challenge-video-to-his-youtube-account-to-share-what-he-learned-about-posing-for-photos-with-his-followers-2

Spoiler: same guy, same muscles, same time different pose:

Capture.JPG

I'm not saying Gabe may not have gone off his training diet a bit for a month (and why shouldn't he), but you clearly have been engulfed by the unrealistic body expectations projected onto men these days by a combination of ripped GI Joe and superhero toys and male Instagram influencers.

Gabe is not required to oil his body, flex, and pose with optimal lighting and posture to meet your standards for his appearance in order to demonstrate that he trains seriously to function as an NFL WR at a high level.  You clearly don't understand that male Instagram influencers like bodybuilder Connan Murphy who train for defined musculature, don't  even look like that when they're chillaxing with their buds.

And that's not even getting into the difference between training for functional strength and training for appearance.

Edited by Beck Water

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, did anyone read between the lines that they would be signing Von Miller last year?

Fans just need to wait and see what happens. There's no use in guessing. Besides, everything changes constantly, so any targets they have right now will change as the off-season progresses.

I agree, Every option is in a state of constant flux until the trigger is pulled in each and every round of the draft, and FA is in effect no different.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

There's a crying need-to-know here

https://www.insider.com/bodybuilder-showed-how-fitness-photos-can-be-misleading-2019-10#in-2016-murphy-posted-a-10-minute-transformation-challenge-video-to-his-youtube-account-to-share-what-he-learned-about-posing-for-photos-with-his-followers-2

Spoiler: same guy, same muscles, same time different pose:

Capture.JPG

I'm not saying Gabe may not have gone off his training diet a bit for a month (and why shouldn't he), but you clearly have been engulfed by the unrealistic body expectations projected onto men these days by a combination of ripped GI Joe and superhero toys and male Instagram influencers.

Gabe is not required to oil his body, flex, and pose with optimal lighting and posture to meet your standards for his appearance in order to demonstrate that he trains seriously to function as an NFL WR at a high level.  You clearly don't understand that male Instagram influencers like bodybuilder Connan Murphy who train for defined musculature, don't  even look like that when they're chillaxing with their buds.

And that's not even getting into the difference between training for functional strength and training for appearance.

Thank you for the detailed response, but I disagree. 

You sitting there and saying "I clearly don't know" this and that. 

You're embellishing what I said. I don't need a standing V-Cut abdomen, with a chiseled DK Metcalf-esque chest. 

But the NFL is small margins. He was 4.54 coming out. He's 6'2" not 6'4". He doesn't have fluid hips, he is stiff. So Beane is saying he's the hardest worker on the team, but this team is peaking now, Allen needs a #2 now. 

And I'll take it one step further. I think Allen can tighten up too. You look at some of his pictures and he's got a belly as well. And here's the thing, we've seen this FO: you can't depend on them to get him multiple top-tier options. He has Diggs, and it's a step down to everyone else. Our run game is hit and miss, Cook comes and goes, Hines is not used, WRs 4, 5, 6 on this team are unplayable, we don't have a #2 Tight End. It's Diggs, Davis and Shakir right now. 

And we've seen Allen for 3 years plateau at 4200-4500 yards, 35-37 TDs passing, 6-8 rushing. Elite numbers. But what path is there for him to be even better? I think his fitness is one avenue, and newcam said on a Kyle Brandt's Basement that Josh says he doesn't lift because he doesn't want stiffness in his throwing motion. 

Maybe I'm on an island on this, but I don't really care. I think there can be more done with Davis and Allen here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.