MLB's new pitch clock

Just Jack

Have you been hearing about this?  It's speeding up games, most finishing in under 3 hours.  I like it, just look at this one side by side video, left is a game played with the clock, the right is a previous year with no clock.  Almost two minutes just to throw one pitch.  

• Like (+1) 1

Rob Manfred has proposed and made a lot of changes that have thoroughly pissed me off.

But the pitch clock is one change that I am okay with.

The best part about the rule is that it also applies to batter.

Derek Jeter would perform an entire Catholic mass between every single pitch.  It was ridiculous.  

I read an article today in which a pitcher praised the clock.  Players don't like longer games anymore than fans do.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I read an article today in which a pitcher praised the clock.  

I believe it was Scherzer, no? Very small sample size, but the spring training games are finishing much faster.  That's a good thing.

I'm ok with getting rid of the shift, but still hate the "ghost runner" in extra innings.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Rob Manfred has proposed and made a lot of changes that have thoroughly pissed me off.

Derek Jeter would perform an entire Catholic mass between every single pitch.  It was ridiculous.  

I read an article today in which a pitcher praised the clock.  Players don't like longer games anymore than fans do.

Nomar was another that took foooreeveer.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Jeter wasn't that bad, now my boy Rickey Henderson, he knew how to slow a game down like no other. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Jeter wasn't that bad, now my boy Rickey Henderson, he knew how to slow a game down like no other. 

Between every pitch, Jeter had to:

Take his helmet off and put it back on.

Take each of his batting gloves off/put them back on ... twice.

Touch his nuts seven times.

Look at his bat like he wanted to bang it.

Take a deep breath ... huge exhale.

Then .. maybe .. he'd get into the batter's box.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Absolutely LOVE IT!

Been watching since the early 80's. This is great. As someone who goes to several minor league games in Binghamton every summer, it was one of the best parts of going to those games...seeing how quick the pace as and no bulls*it between pitches. Players got used to it and adapted quick. If you noticed when a minor league pitcher got called up he worked quickly.  

Spring Training games will get most of the kinks out and players will adapt. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I worked two jobs during the Jeter era and rarely watched sports. I’m making up for it now.

I was not aware of Jeter’s at bat antics, but upon further review, you are right.

I like the intent of the clock, but I'm not so sure about the implementation. Two things in particular, we'll see how it actually plays out:

I'd rather the umpires enforce the rule without an actual clock that fans can see. I have no problem with umps giving some latitude if/when it's needed. I don't need another opportunity for fans to demand instant replay cuz the pitch was .0001 seconds past the limit. 

I don't like the finality of the automatic ball/strike. In football a delay of game pushes you back 5 yards but you still get a chance. In baseball it can end a game - as it did the first day of spring training games.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah Rickey pound the side of his batting helmet, fix his batting gloves, stretch, talk to himself, shuffle his cleats in the dirt. 

On 2/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, Just Jack said:

Have you been hearing about this?  It's speeding up games, most finishing in under 3 hours.  I like it, just look at this one side by side video, left is a game played with the clock, the right is a previous year with no clock.  Almost two minutes just to throw one pitch.  

It's a positive, for sure.   They've been using a clock in the minors for a while and it cut the better part of a half hour off of games.    Right now the effect is a bit exaggerated because the players don't feel the clock so they are rushing.    But overall,  will make a big difference.

Also big.........pitchers can only step off the rubber twice in an at bat.   So no more throwing over 5 times.    If they step off a third time they have to throw the runner on base out or he advances.    So no more "running game slowing down the game".    And the bases have been enlarged to shorten the distance between 1B and 2B and 2B and 3B by 4.5".   So lot's more stolen bases.   And action.   Distance from plate to 3B and 3B to plate is 3" shorter so more infield hits are likely.   Maybe less DP's as well but I've seen a bunch the first few days.......good throwing arms beat runners and these infielders all throw about 90mph+ now.

But the biggest impact on quality of play might be banning the infield shifts.   Two infielders on each side always.   Left handed hitters and batters who hit the ball up the middle(which was always a good thing before shifts) are suddenly playable again after years of being auto-outs in a league where the pitchers now throw so hard batters can't count on hitting the ball where it's pitched.   Even the ultra sh!tty Aaron Hicks had 2 singles go thru gaps as a lefty hitter in the first two games that would have been shift blocked in the first two games. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.