MLB's new pitch clock

Just Jack

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

A 20 second strikeout courtesy of the new pitch clock rules:

https://clutchpoints.com/yankees-news-wandy-peralta-makes-pitch-clock-look-foolish-with-20-second-strikeout

Like the game hasn't already historically favored the pitchers over the batters from day one. 

Maybe lower the mound because of the pitch clock? 

More fun and games in spring training with the pitch clock. Veteran Max Scherzer is using spring training to see how he can exploit the new rules. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35777602/max-scherzer-balk-umps-need-figure-pitch-clock-limits

In other new baseball rules news the Red Sox test out an outfield shift since infield shifts are restricted:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/03/mlb-shift-rule-loophole-outfielder-joey-gallo

• Agree 1

I am fine with MLB NL and AL games having a pitch clock the Buffalo Bisons IL had it and it does speed up the baseball games. I don’t have a problem with the shift hit where they aren’t seems pretty simple to make the shift useless. But I do have a problem with runner automatically at second base in extra innings because it changes a rule that historically baseball didn’t have before and baseball is about history. So I am not a fan of that at all it’s too gimmicky in my opinion. Go Bisons! Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

In response to Max Scherzer trying to exploit the pitch clock MLB issues a clarification:

“A quick pitch may be assessed when a pitch is delivered with 8 seconds or less remaining on the Pitch Timer, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the batter, although alert to the pitcher, has not had sufficient time to become reasonably set in the batter’s box,” the rule states. 

https://nypost.com/2023/03/04/mlb-cracks-down-on-max-scherzers-attempt-to-exploit-pitch-clock/

I think we need to fully define what 'reasonably set' means - maybe put a time limit on it so we're all clear. 

On 3/2/2023 at 5:41 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Like the game hasn't already historically favored the pitchers over the batters from day one. 

Maybe lower the mound because of the pitch clock? 

Did you sleep through the Steroid Era?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:45 PM, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I am fine with MLB NL and AL games having a pitch clock the Buffalo Bisons IL had it and it does speed up the baseball games. I don’t have a problem with the shift hit where they aren’t seems pretty simple to make the shift useless. But I do have a problem with runner automatically at second base in extra innings because it changes a rule that historically baseball didn’t have before and baseball is about history. So I am not a fan of that at all it’s too gimmicky in my opinion. Go Bisons! Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

pitch clock is ok. Putting a runner on 2nd is stupid and you should be able to put players anywhere you want on defense

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Did you sleep through the Steroid Era?

Legally favor... But then again... Steroids were basically legal. You actually made my point for me. Players will always take the rules and bend them for a competitive edge. The steroid era was no different,  just results the Leagues couldn't live with. 

Baseball is a pitchers game, it's the way it was invented. Until pitching breaks down and somebody wins. Clocks will definitely help the pitchers... 

IMO, trying to shorten a game that doesn't need to be shorten because ADHD fans get restless is a step in WRONG direction. There's always unintended consequences.  

There should absolutely be no clocks in the game.  Baseball is not a mechanically timed game. I don't understand why they are trying to make it that way?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Legally favor... But then again... Steroids were basically legal. You actually made my point for me. Players will always take the rules and bend them for a competitive edge. The steroid era was no different,  just results the Leagues couldn't live with. 

Baseball is a pitchers game, it's the way it was invented. Until pitching breaks down and somebody wins. Clocks will definitely help the pitchers... 

IMO, trying to shorten a game that doesn't need to be shorten because ADHD fans get restless is a step in WRONG direction. There's always unintended consequences.  

There should absolutely be no clocks in the game.  Baseball is not a mechanically timed game. I don't understand why they are trying to make it that way?

I'm not sure on the clocks but fans getting tired of 4 hour games that aren't exciting. Shorten games to 7 innings and keep all same rules

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm not sure on the clocks but fans getting tired of 4 hour games that aren't exciting. Shorten games to 7 innings and keep all same rules

Nothing wrong with 4 hour games. Not all are. How about keep same rules and have the Umps do their job and move game along. Like don't grant a batter time to step out. They are asking for permission in the first place, right? Who says it has to be granted.  Pitcher throws and it's a strike or ball,  it's a strike or ball! Game moves along naturally!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nothing wrong with 4 hour games. Not all are. How about keep same rules and have the Umps do their job and move game along. Like don't grant a batter time to step out. They are asking for permission in the first place, right? Who says it has to be granted.  Pitcher throws and it's a strike or ball,  it's a strike or ball! Game moves along naturally!

4 hour baseball games are a problem with many fans

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

MLB has been manipulating the game for decades in an effort to keep/draw attention.  At one time, they favored pitchers.  At many others, they've favored batters.  Chicks aren't the only ones who dig the long ball.  Baseball has made it happen, whether it's changing how balls are made or it's turning a blind eye to rampant steroid abuse.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.