Do the Bills Under Appreciate Gabe Davis?

Chaos

If we let Poyer, Edmunds, Saffold and Singletary walk and then release/trade unneeded players (McKenzie, Basham/Epenesa and a corner) we could definitely make a trade for a big time WR for the #2 spot And keep Davis as a third receiver

As someone said on here before, the Chiefs won the Super Bowl giving up over 30 points. Let’s get Josh some help

• Like (+1) 1

Because of how difficult it’s going to be to get a productive rookie in the draft or free agency to be WR2 that can step in as WR1 if Diggs is hurt…..after Josh Allen, Davis might be the most important player on the roster that can make or break this being a SB team.  

If he has a Mike Williams or even Eric Moulds like trajectory I’ve been comparing him to, and he breaks out this year this will be the best offense Allen has had - I expect significant upgrades on oline and a new RB.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Because of how difficult it’s going to be to get a productive rookie in the draft or free agency to be WR2 that can step in as WR1 if Diggs is hurt…..after Josh Allen, Davis might be the most important player on the roster that can make or break this being a SB team.  

If he has a Mike Williams or even Eric Moulds like trajectory I’ve been comparing him to, and he breaks out this year this will be the best offense Allen has had - I expect significant upgrades on oline and a new RB.  

If the Bills completely strike out upgrading receiving options for Josh I would flip Knox and Davis’ target share.

This is a situation where Beane cannot allow himself to get too emotionally attached to the player…

I hope he lets the numbers be his guide…This offense performs better when we have WRs who separate…

-Zay Flowers

-Tank Dell

These are a few guys who can do what Beasley did in short areas, but also give you the deep speed that Beasley lacked…

10 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

No. I think he's over-hated by BIlls fans and over-targeted by Josh. Whether it's more Knox, more Cook,  improved play from the slot, or adding a do-it-all WR2 the Bills need to do a much better job attacking the short to intermediate areas of the field.  A WR with an extremely limited downfield route tree shouldn't be getting nearly as many targets as he does.

LOL

Over targeted? what a joke.

Diggs 154, Davis 93, Knox 65, McKenzie 65

You want to take 20 targets away from your #2 WR... the #2 WR that was supposed to have a breakout year? and give to Knox? Look... Knox is talented but hes not top 5 material thus you do not treat Knox as such. It's Cooks rookie year, Remember how it started with the dropped passes/fumbles? There was a reason Cook was not out a ton the first half of the season.

Over Hated? No.

Under qualified for the #2 position? yes.

Its funny how we feel a player does not fit in a position and for gods sakes we must all hate the dude... 

Your post is filled with horrible narratives. 

9 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

LOL

Over targeted? what a joke.

Diggs 154, Davis 93, Knox 65, McKenzie 65

You want to take 20 targets away from your #2 WR... the #2 WR that was supposed to have a breakout year? and give to Knox? Look... Knox is talented but hes not top 5 material thus you do not treat Knox as such. It's Cooks rookie year, Remember how it started with the dropped passes/fumbles? There was a reason Cook was not out a ton the first half of the season.

Over Hated? No.

Under qualified for the #2 position? yes.

Its funny how we feel a player does not fit in a position and for gods sakes we must all hate the dude... 

Your post is filled with horrible narratives. 

You good?

I’m going to keep this as simple as possible:

No.

Spotrac and your assumption is that good stats = good/valuable player.

Gabe Davis was thrown the ball a lot by one of the best QBs in the league, so he put up yards and TDs.

Gabe Davis also showed this year that he has extremely unreliable hands and a limited route tree, which might have cost the Bills their season.

Some sucker team will pay him in the off-season, but they shouldn’t. The Bills will draft a WR in the top 3 rounds this off-season and that will tell you everything you need to know.

• Like (+1) 1

Our #2 doesn’t have to have 1,000+ yards. Only Kelce had 1,000+ yards on the Chiefs. Juju had I think 933 in one more game played than Davis. The big difference is the Chiefs had 8 receivers with 200+ receiving yards and 4 receivers with 500+ yards. While the Bills only had 5 and 3 respectively. Chiefs were much better at spreading the ball around.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Pointing to Higgins numbers doesn't explain why Boyd's numbers are on par with Davis though. Davis is clearly underperforming in an offense that passes as much as we do as the WR2.

I think Gabe is a low end #2. He is certainly upgradeable. But Cincy basically have two 1s - Chase and Higgins - and a 2 - Boyd.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

most of those were not difficult catches by any means

your joking right? Look.. I am not saying Davis did a good job but lets be honest with each other about this video. 

passes         H= Hard Catch  E= Easy Catch

#1 E

#2 E

#3 H   Low throw

#4 E

#5 H  he was WELL covered, hot ball came to high high and off his hands. (I would call this the typical WR drop Though so lets put this in the middle)

#6 1:09 mark HARD. well covered and was hit when the ball arrived.

#7 H  I mean come on. that was an under thrown ball

#8 H but he should have caught this.. will give this one to ya 

#9 H That ball was thrown way to hard. could he of caught it? yes. but the point of this exercise is, how hard of catches were these attempts? 

#10 3 seconds third and goal off the fingertips in sideline/endzone. this was so hard of a catch I thought it was funny they sneaked this one in for seconds.

#11 HARD I mean come on.. the dude jumped up and went off his finger tips... please

#12 2 defenders draped all over him. even if he had a closer attempt to catch that? would it of been stripped?

#13 another 4 second catch while Davis was falling to his knees reaching out for a pass... H H H

#14 Last one? got hit at same time ball arrived. that is a hard catch to make.

You think Diggs dropped easy ones? yep.. but go watch that video again... and see how many of those catches were hard to make.

NOW... to your point.. a WR is EXPECTED to make some hard catches... BUT... this video... how it was posted and edited was clearly made for clicks. 

Crunch it down? I bet we have a minute 20 seconds of catches he should have made. I would gamble Diggs having about a minute of catches he should have made could be created as well.   Lots of 3-5 second uncatchable balls put in this vid. 

16 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

You good?

if this is the only reply you could come up with and try and make it personal? Then your just as vile as the rest of the trolls on this board....  And to be honest until now Gob? I would of never said that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it's a legitimate argument to say he's a #3.  He's too unreliable to be a #2.  He's a big play guy but not consistent.  

I think a low end #2 is Emmanuel Sanders last year.

Gabe Davis to me could be an okay #2 if he isn't #2 in targets.  If we involved Dawson Knox in the passing game more and have a really strong slot...maybe Gabe could work.

Gabe this year had more yards, more yards per game, more yards per reception and more touchdowns than Sanders last year. He was, by any definition, an upgrade on  old man Manny. 

That is my point. I don't love Gabe. He is an upgradeable low end #2. But he was better than Sanders and yet people will make the argument he was worse. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

if this is the only reply you could come up with and try and make it personal? Then your just as vile as the rest of the trolls on this board....  And to be honest until now Gob? I would of never said that.

Lmaooo you’re in this thread instigating calling every post you disagree with a joke and I’m vile for saying “you good?”. Projection 101.

5 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Lmaooo you’re in this thread instigating calling every post you disagree with a joke and I’m vile for saying “you good?”. Projection 101.

yea nice try.  I said the statement was a joke. I never called you a joke. and I proved it. and the best you could do is try and make it personal. nice try. 

Edited by PrimeTime101

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Gabe is a low end #2. He is certainly upgradeable. But Cincy basically have two 1s - Chase and Higgins - and a 2 - Boyd.

Right, but we don't need a low end WR2.  We need a legit WR2 who can take some attention off of Diggs.  Opponents just don't respect Davis, doesn't get open enough, and when he does, he's not reliable.  When our QB asked for Beasley to be brought back and they bring both him and Smoke back late season, that's a huge problem IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Right, but we don't need a low end WR2.  We need a legit WR2 who can take some attention off of Diggs.  Opponents just don't respect Davis, doesn't get open enough, and when he does, he's not reliable.  When our QB asked for Beasley to be brought back and they bring both him and Smoke back late season, that's a huge problem IMO.

I don't disagree we need an upgrade. I was one of those banging the table for us to bring in another outside receiver last spring to at least compete / challenge him. The question was is he undervalued. I think some of the responses in this thread prove he is because they have said things that are demonstrably not true like "he is a number 3" and "he was worse than Sanders was in 2021". 

Personally I think a lot of Bills fans were too high on him coming into the season and as a result are too harsh on him now because their expectations were unrealistic for a player of Gabe's ability. I am kinda exactly where I have been on him throughout - mediocre #2.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

your mixing catch percent with drop rate.

not sure how

Targets 93

Catches 48 (51.6%)

Drops 8 (8.6%) <- PFF had 7, SSI had 8, Rotowire had 8, Fox has 9. I used the mean which was also the median.

Other 37 (39.8%) <- clearly I rounded up to 40% from 39.8%

If it wasn't a catch, and it wasn't a drop what was it?

They were either a defended pass (PD or INT), or an uncatchable ball since defensive penalties like DPI and Def Holding do not count as targets.

It should be significant to figure out what 40% of his targets were since they were not caught or dropped.

Gabe is not natural at getting separation and he isn't a burner so there were probably quite a few passes defended.

JA does not fear throwing into tight windows either.

The other passes were uncatchable targets.

The WR3 position was a sh!t show all year. JA and Knox had no chemistry earlier in the year.

So that means look for Diggs, who is amazing, but DCs scheme against

or chuck it up to Davis and hope for a catch or penalty.

I agree Buffalo needs to find a future #1. Diggs is turning 30 this year.

I'll never argue Davis is a WR#1. If drafting a stud WR means Davis goes to WR3 that would be great IMO.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.