Do the Bills Under Appreciate Gabe Davis?

Chaos

Gabe Davis is a bit of an anomaly on the current Bills. His best play comes in the playoffs rather than the regular season.  

The reason I asking "Do the Bills Under Appreciate Gabe Davis?" is because Spotrac ranks him as having a higher market value than either Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver or Jordan Poyer. Spotrac bases is ranking on actual production vs comps.  No eye tests involved.  Based on production, the comps Spotrac sees for Davis are Christian Kirk, Russell Gage, Michael Gallup, Hunter Renfrow.  For all of the discussion around Tremaine Edmunds being virtually a child in years, Davis is actually a year younger, and only 23  now.  He will be the same age as Edmunds when he becomes a free agent next year. 

image.thumb.png.c0b1b528446bca209a596de165d97200.png

image.thumb.png.5c13c9b1ce34105720d3539472c3e40e.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Do the Bills? No. Do Bills fans? Yes, some. He is a lower end #2 receiver but there are folks on here saying he is a #3 or a #4 and that is plain wrong. Spotrac's projections are not always my cup of tea but Michael Gallop as a comparator for Gabe makes a ton of sense. Similar level of player. A lower end #2 who makes big plays but has a low catch rate. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

In this offense the #2 WR should be 1,000+ yards and 10 TD player consistently.

Stamp, Amen.  How many times do we have to say this?  

Why is this even a point of contention with anybody on this subject?!

Scratch out any dates.  The years don't matter.  The stat reference should essentially be in any given year, "Josh Allen, QB.  Thousand yard receivers: Stephon Diggs and ____________."

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Look at Cincy's trio.  Gabe's numbers are more on par with Boyd (WR3) than Higgins (WR2) and there's no way that should be the case in an offense that passes as much as the Bills.

Yes but Higgins is really a #1 just pigeon holed as a #2 because of the offense. He is the definition of a premium #2. Gabe isn't that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He probably would be very effective in this offense as the #3 WR. Hopefully Beane can upgrade at #2 WR to go opposite Diggs. 

We just need a more reliable target in the passing game that can help move the chains, see Beasley v 2.0 I was hoping Crowder could fill that role last season but sadly his chemistry with Josh was off (perhaps because was splitting reps with McKenzie) and then he got hurt. I'd welcome adding another low cost vet to man the middle as it were. I've mentioned Greg Dortch and Richie James as possible guys that likely be affordable options. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes but Higgins is really a #1 just pigeon holed as a #2 because of the offense. He is the definition of a premium #2. Gabe isn't that. 

Pointing to Higgins numbers doesn't explain why Boyd's numbers are on par with Davis though. Davis is clearly underperforming in an offense that passes as much as we do as the WR2.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

We just need a more reliable target in the passing game that can help move the chains, see Beasley v 2.0 I was hoping Crowder could fill that role last season but sadly his chemistry with Josh was off (perhaps because was splitting reps with McKenzie) and then he got hurt. I'd welcome adding another low cost vet to man the middle as it were. I've mentioned Greg Dortch and Richie James as possible guys that likely be affordable options. 

How is the draft this year for WR's? I expect the Bills will go OL in RD 1 but maybe they can get a good WR in the later rounds.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Davis ranked 33rd last year in receiving yards despite his drop issues, one could argue that's the best #2 WR in the league but of course he's not as some top guys on other teams didn't rank in the top 32. Davis isn't an elite #2 but would call him above average. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Gabe Davis is a bit of an anomaly on the current Bills. His best play comes in the playoffs rather than the regular season.  

The reason I asking "Do the Bills Under Appreciate Gabe Davis?" is because Spotrac ranks him as having a higher market value than either Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver or Jordan Poyer. Spotrac bases is ranking on actual production vs comps.  No eye tests involved.  Based on production, the comps Spotrac sees for Davis are Christian Kirk, Russell Gage, Michael Gallup, Hunter Renfrow.  For all of the discussion around Tremaine Edmunds being virtually a child in years, Davis is actually a year younger, and only 23  now.  He will be the same age as Edmunds when he becomes a free agent next year. 

image.thumb.png.c0b1b528446bca209a596de165d97200.png

image.thumb.png.5c13c9b1ce34105720d3539472c3e40e.png

I think the fans who have primarily looked at the handful of highly productive games Davis has had tend to overvalue him. Or at least they did last off-season. Most of those fans now undervalue him because he didn’t sustain anything close to the level of production he had against KC in the AFCC game.

The reality is that he’s very good at some aspects of the WR job and poor at others. Naturally he’s going to have some favorable matchups in some games where what he does well works. But he’s going to have a lot of games where he’s limited. Things were worse in that regard this past season. Even though he got more opportunities as a starter, defenses planned better for him and were able to limit his production.

So we don’t have a stud WR2 in him, but he’s got a place in the NFL for sure. Unfortunately he’s not a guy I want to see the Bills pay to stick around. He’s an okay outside WR, but he shouldn’t be a team’s #2 receiving option - and I wouldn’t pay him anything close to Spotrac’s estimate. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Gabe is a good player. 

While hes had some annoying drops, I think hes made some much bigger catches in needed situations. 

I think he needs to keep working on his craft and we need someone upstairs who can create football plays that allows players to get open.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

How is the draft this year for WR's? I expect the Bills will go OL in RD 1 but maybe they can get a good WR in the later rounds.

I haven't studied the draft hard yet but a guy like Marvin Mims Jr could be available in Round 2 and be a dangerous slot guy with some speed. Yet he isn't the most reliable in terms of hands. 

• Like (+1) 1

YES. I went on a rant Isaiah Hodgins versus Gabe Davis thread and showed where Davis ranks on things like yards/ yards per reception/ first down %/ TDs and TD%.

Davis ranked anywhere from 5th to 33rd in the league last year on all those metrics among all players receiving passes in the NFL.

Spotrac probably looked at a similar set of data points and has a similar conclusion.

They have been really off at times, and so have I, but the narrative on this board in particular about Davis is ridiculous.

And yes, I agree the Bills do need to draft a WR early this year for multiple reasons.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.